HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   update on pavel bure (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=106395)

deathbear 09-30-2004 10:39 AM

update on pavel bure

according to his newspage www.pbfc.org, he's begun skating, and is in the process of working out to prepare for the season.

the part about "working out for the season" is mentioned briefly in the most recent story posted in russian.

just thought i'd pass that on.

littleHossa 09-30-2004 10:42 AM

Someone should page him that there isn't going to be a season.

KILLger 09-30-2004 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littleHossa
Someone should page him that there isn't going to be a season.

There are other leagues than the NHL... :dunno:

deathbear 09-30-2004 10:54 AM

Indeed, I also read that he (was? is?) skating with a Russian club, perhaps the same as Kovalchuk's, but I can't remember for sure.

DuklaNation 09-30-2004 11:19 AM

I've heard that he keeps this rehab facade up in order to collect his money. Insurance companies would be all over him if he didnt.

deathbear 09-30-2004 11:25 AM

that could be. though i dont think bryan berard had to though...

oh wait. he actually retired, didn't he? bure hasn't officially done that...

Til the End of Time 09-30-2004 12:07 PM

I miss seeing Bure in the NHL. He really had a "flare" that I miss, although I guess Kovalchuk has kind of filled Bure's role. But it's still not the same.

silver_made* 09-30-2004 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Til the End of Time
I miss seeing Bure in the NHL glare. He really had a "flare" that I miss, although I guess Kovalchuk has kind of filled Bure's role. But it's still not the same.

it's not the same and will never be the same. bure was better. the nhl needs bure bad. i think he should head back to florida; they could use the ticket sales (especially following the lockout).

Clint 09-30-2004 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silver_made
it's not the same and will never be the same. bure was better. the nhl needs bure bad. i think he should head back to florida; they could use the ticket sales (especially following the lockout).

I don't think that the majority of the hockey followers in S. Florida would welcome Bure back with open arms. When Bure was traded, most everyone was happy to see him go. The only ones *****ing and moaning were the people who thought we didn't get enough in return.

silver_made* 09-30-2004 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clint
I don't think that the majority of the hockey followers in S. Florida would welcome Bure back with open arms. When Bure was traded, most everyone was happy to see him go. The only ones *****ing and moaning were the people who thought we didn't get enough in return.

if your team isn't going to win (which Florida doesn't), you better be entertaining. luongo is far and away Florida's biggest attraction, and that speaks more about the rest of the Panthers than about how good roberto is. if fans are itching to watch your team get peppered with shots just to watch the goalie in action (no such case EVER), then your team is garbage. bure on crutches is still more entertaining than any professional south florida athlete outside of shaq.

bleedgreen 09-30-2004 02:04 PM

Quote:

if your team isn't going to win (which Florida doesn't), you better be entertaining. luongo is far and away Florida's biggest attraction, and that speaks more about the rest of the Panthers than about how good roberto is. if fans are itching to watch your team get peppered with shots just to watch the goalie in action (no such case EVER), then your team is garbage. bure on crutches is still more entertaining than any professional south florida athlete outside of shaq.

:eek:

stop beating around the bush and tell us how you really feel ;)
i disagree. i think they are much closer to winning with roberto than with pavel. he wasnt a good fit there, regardless of how many butts he put in the seats. i would pay 50 bucks to watch roberto play from time to time. i think its funny to criticize florida when the kings didnt exist to the rest of the hockey world pre-gretzky. florida has a bunch of good young players to put around roberto and they could easily be tampa bay in a year or two. hardly "garbage".

silver_made* 09-30-2004 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleedgreen
:eek:

stop beating around the bush and tell us how you really feel ;)
i disagree. i think they are much closer to winning with roberto than with pavel. he wasnt a good fit there, regardless of how many butts he put in the seats. i would pay 50 bucks to watch roberto play from time to time. i think its funny to criticize florida when the kings didnt exist to the rest of the hockey world pre-gretzky. florida has a bunch of good young players to put around roberto and they could easily be tampa bay in a year or two. hardly "garbage".

why not Roberto AND pavel. Pavel can score and Florida can't; the math seems pretty clear to me. With his recent history, any possible deal he signs will be short years/small money, and with his skill i'd say it is low risk. if a team lets their goalie hang out to dry, they are garbage. Florida's future isn't necessarily garbage, but their current collection and its performance is (with the exception of very few, namely luongo). and you sidetrack about the kings because? i was a diehard kings fan in another era of Los Angeles' history; the Granato, Sandstrom, Hrudey era (take note of the logo).

littleHossa 09-30-2004 02:28 PM

Why the hell not, bring Bure back for a 6th Bure era or wherever the count is at. It's funny that you think they've moved on, but for whatever reason they keep on bringing the Bures back. With Jacques Martin, he could also become a bit less of a floater, but he might not be that all-star scorer anymore.

bleedgreen 09-30-2004 02:28 PM

Quote:

why not Roberto AND pavel. Pavel can score and Florida can't; the math seems pretty clear to me. With his recent history, any possible deal he signs will be short years/small money, and with his skill i'd say it is low risk. if a team lets their goalie hang out to dry, they are garbage. Florida's future isn't necessarily garbage, but their current collection and its performance is (with the exception of very few, namely luongo). and you sidetrack about the kings because? i was a diehard kings fan in another era of Los Angeles' history; the Granato, Sandstrom, Hrudey era (take note of the logo).

i thought they changes the logo and colors were around the same time wayne showed up. and my point isnt about YOU, its about the way the kings were perceived pre-gretzky - much how the panthers are perceived now. im not a panthers fan, but i think they have the best future in front of them that theyve ever had. at the time they traded bure, they needed to lose the salary - it was a justified move at the time. it has proven to be a smart one with all his injuries. was he worth more than they got, based on the amount of time he has been injured? also, i was under the impression he was still rangers property and possibly unavailable to just be signed by florida. if he was healthy, i think it would be a good idea for florida to get him on a short term deal. they could use a vet who can score, and they probably have some room under any "cap" that may exist.

Capt Reynolds 09-30-2004 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuklaNation
I've heard that he keeps this rehab facade up in order to collect his money. Insurance companies would be all over him if he didnt.

I may be wrong on this one, but I believe Bure is an Unrestricted Free Agent. He's over 31 and nhlpa.com lists him as unsigned. If he's unsigned he doesn't need to do anything, there is no insurance being paid to him because his contract has expired.

Rattrick 09-30-2004 03:09 PM

Quote:

bure on crutches is still more entertaining than any professional south florida athlete outside of shaq.

Sorry, but this obviously shows you don't know much about South Florida sports.

silver_made* 09-30-2004 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luongofan
Sorry, but this obviously shows you don't know much about South Florida sports.

really? lowell more entertaining (more on the dl than anything). willis? huge sophore slump. cabrera? maybe (at best), but not a multi-year star yet. shaq? hell yes. dwayne wade? nope. zach thomas, jason taylor? hmmm, great defense unrewarded by a garbage offense. it must be olindo mare! :shakehead

Burke's Evil Spirit 09-30-2004 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuklaNation

He is currently unsigned.

Slats432 09-30-2004 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe C.
I may be wrong on this one, but I believe Bure is an Unrestricted Free Agent. He's over 31 and nhlpa.com lists him as unsigned. If he's unsigned he doesn't need to do anything, there is no insurance being paid to him because his contract has expired.

The NYR paid Bure $500K to terminate the contract. One would expect that if Pavel could play the option would have been exercised.

AG9NK35DT8* 09-30-2004 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Bachul
The NYR paid Bure $500K to terminate the contract. One would expect that if Pavel could play the option would have been exercised.

no not really, nyr has 2 right winmgs in jagr and balej, mayube if bure was better b4 they acquired jagr then yes but, i dont see him coming back.

and kovalchuk is not taking bures place no where by far, bure is just pure amazment to watch his puck skills , speed and blazing shot , his moves and plain allaround scoring ability. he is just one of a kind. look at his stats the guy was basically a 40-50 goal scorer thats just awesome, would love to see him come back,especially witha team like cmbs or atla or some young team with you superstars would love to see him get time with nash,zherdev, heatley, kovalchuk.

Bring Back Bucky 09-30-2004 06:51 PM

Quote:

really? lowell more entertaining (more on the dl than anything). willis? huge sophore slump. cabrera? maybe (at best), but not a multi-year star yet. shaq? hell yes. dwayne wade? nope. zach thomas, jason taylor? hmmm, great defense unrewarded by a garbage offense. it must be olindo mare! :shakehead

No offence intended, your 11 posts/ day shows enthusiasm, but if you are going to display the emblem of futility as your avatar, maybe you oughtn't disparage the sports entertainment value of an entire region. ;)

andora 09-30-2004 07:26 PM

atlanta should sign him, then put him with kovalchuk

someone had to say it

Winston Wolf 09-30-2004 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deathbear
that could be. though i dont think bryan berard had to though...

oh wait. he actually retired, didn't he? bure hasn't officially done that...

It's kind of hard to rehab an injured retina.

bleedgreen 09-30-2004 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AG9NK35DT8
and kovalchuk is not taking bures place no where by far, bure is just pure amazment to watch his puck skills , speed and blazing shot , his moves and plain allaround scoring ability. he is just one of a kind. .

not trying to hijack this thread, and for the record, bure was sick back in the day. one of my all time favorites, but to say kovy cant take over for bure is trash. they are different in a few ways, very similar in others, but kovalchuck is the 4th fastest player to 100 goals in the history of the game. thats during a very defensive stretch of time on a bad team (mostly). they are equal in speed and skating, equal in lack of passing, apples and oranges on the moves, and kovy has a better shot. bure scored most of his goals in tight and kovy is a better point man. bure had a bomb but itwasnt the most accurate (not as accurate as kovulchuck), which is why he always shot low. he played the percentages shooting and his speed took care of the rest. kovy has a more accurate and deadly shot - he picks any corner he wants. not to mention the size/strength/power difference in their bodies and approach to the game. having said all that i still want pavel to come back, he was an inspiration when he was on.

me2 09-30-2004 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLger
There are other leagues than the NHL... :dunno:

If Bure did that he'd be an idiot. Seriously. His knees are kaput. Lets say he rehabs well, he might get one or two more years at most. He should be asking himself "Do I risk it reinjuring my knee for $250K, or do I take the year and try and recover more and go for $2-4m with an NHL club?" He's been pulling down $10m/y he shouldn't be short of beer money.