HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Injury Report: No suspension coming from Boarding Penalty on Plante (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1064645)

Rafters 12-27-2011 09:26 PM

No suspension coming from Boarding Penalty on Plante

I really don't understand how there was no suspension. It was a 5 min Major for boarding, there seems to be a lot of people claiming it was a legal shoulder to shoulder hit. Maybe Shanahan has forgotten that players can be suspended for hits that don't target the head. Here is the Rule regarding Boarding according to the NHL rulebook...Even though Weise hit Plante Shoulder to Shoulder, he DID hit him while he was in a defenseless and dangerous position just a couple feet from the boards....should be a suspension no matter if it was shoulder to shoulder or from behind. Only reason I can see for there being no suspension would be if Plante put himself in a dangerous position....but he was just skating back to the puck....

41.1 Boarding – A boarding penalty shall be imposed on any player or goalkeeper who checks or pushes a defenseless opponent in such a manner that causes the opponent to hit or impact the boards violently in the boards. The severity of the penalty, based upon the impact with the boards, shall be at the discretion of the Referee.

There is an enormous amount of judgment involved in the application of this rule by the Referees. The onus is on the player applying the check to ensure his opponent is not in a defenseless position and if so, he must avoid or minimize the contact. However, in determining wheter such contact could have been avoided, the circumstances of the check, including whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position immediately prior to or simultaneously with the check or whether the check was unavoidable can be considered. This balance must be considered by the Referees when applying this rule.

Any unnecessary contact with a player playing the puck on an obvious “icing” or “off-side” play which results in that player hitting or impacting the boards is “boarding” and must be penalized as such. In other instances where there is no contact with the boards, it should be treated as “charging.”

41.2 Minor Penalty – The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a minor penalty, based on the degree of violence of the impact with the boards, to a player guilty of boarding an opponent.

41.3 Major Penalty – The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a major penalty, based on the degree of violence of the impact with the boards, to a player guilty of boarding an opponent (see 41.5).

41.4 Match Penalty – The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a match penalty if, in his judgment, the player attempted to or deliberately injured his opponent by boarding.

41.5 Game Misconduct Penalty - When a major penalty is imposed under this rule for a foul resulting in an injury to the face or head of an opponent, a game misconduct shall be imposed.

41.6 Fines and Suspensions - Any player who incurs a total of two (2) game misconducts under Rule 41 and/or Rule 43, in either Regular season or Play-offs, shall be suspended automatically for the next game of his team. For each subsequent game misconduct penalty the automatic suspension shall be increased by one game.

When a major penalty is imposed under this rule, an automatic fine of one hundred dollars ($100) shall be imposed.

If deemed appropriate, supplementary discipline can be applied by the Commissioner at his discretion (refer to Rule 28).

Gentle Jake Virtanen 12-27-2011 09:27 PM

The only one expecting a suspension was Tencer.

Bryanbryoil 12-27-2011 09:28 PM

I said it last night, if Sutton dished that hit out his year and maybe career would be over.

oilersfan11 12-27-2011 09:32 PM

It wasn't suspension worthy.

Rafters 12-27-2011 09:35 PM

Everyone seems to be saying...well it was shoulder to shoulder...no head shot so no suspension....last time i checked suspensions can still be handed out for something besides a headshot

last night Renney seemed to think Weise would be 'going on a little Sabatical...'

Narnia 12-27-2011 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil (Post 41541323)
I said it last night, if Sutton dished that hit out his year and maybe career would be over.

I agree with this. VanDiest of the Edmonton Sun asked this question on twitter today as well.

Narnia 12-27-2011 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilersfan11 (Post 41541611)
It wasn't suspension worthy.

Would you be saying the same thing if it was the other way around. If that had been Sutton delivering that hit, he would have been tossed from the NHL. Why does Vancouver get away with dirty hits with no SD. This is the fifth incident against the Canucks and they've avoided SD each time. Sutton got suspended twice and there was never an injury.

Replacement 12-27-2011 09:47 PM

I kinda thought Plante turned into the boards just before the hit which is stupid at best.
In anycase in the NHL its silly to be in that position staring into the boards. Just looking for trouble. We seem to have more players that put themselves in no mans land than any team I've seen.

I call that team Hemsky.

Its like watching dumb and dumber

jumptheshark 12-27-2011 09:58 PM

seen the replay

should not have been suspended

any oiler fan who says there should have been one need to take off the homer glasses

Narnia 12-27-2011 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Replacement (Post 41542245)
I kinda thought Plante turned into the boards just before the hit which is stupid at best.
In anycase in the NHL its silly to be in that position staring into the boards. Just looking for trouble. We seem to have more players that put themselves in no mans land than any team I've seen.

I call that team Hemsky.

Why was Sutton suspended when Landeskog basically did the same thing and he wasn't injured.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DogEatDog (Post 41542721)
seen the replay

should not have been suspended

any oiler fan who says there should have been one need to take off the homer glasses

Then why was Sutton suspended against Colorado when Landeskog did the exact same thing. Proof the NHL hates the Oilers.

Narnia 12-27-2011 10:02 PM

double post

jumptheshark 12-27-2011 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Narnia (Post 41542859)
Why was Sutton suspended when Landeskog basically did the same thing and he wasn't injured.

Then why was Sutton suspended against Colorado when Landeskog did the exact same thing. Proof the NHL hates the Oilers.

rewatch it and take a look at what Sutton did

there is a few things different

Nunymare 12-27-2011 10:06 PM

Not overly surprised.

Everest 12-27-2011 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Replacement (Post 41542245)

I call that team Hemsky.

Horcoff & Gagner are known culprits as forwards working along the end boards. Neither one of them seem to get many calls. Personally, I don''t mind finishing a check if its a scrum like that & the puck controller has his back to the defender. I just don't feel the defender should be able to utilize a X-Check in order to knock anyone off the puck. Ever.

As far as the Plante hit goes...thats totally different. Plante was picking up a puck off a puck race along the wing. He could have continued skating away from the pressure but he chose to turn (towards the boards) against/into the pursuit. In effect, he did it to himself. We agree on that.

Plante (and many others) have a lot to learn. He is better off keeping his feet moving and looking for a long reverse play going back towards his own end of the rink, IMO.

In saying that...its easier to say that in hindsight (obviously). And the criteria for suspensions has been wide open so far this year...so...I kinda thought this one ought to fall under the heading of "Too fast/too violent".

Narnia 12-27-2011 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nunymare (Post 41543125)
Not overly surprised.

Shanaban has his favorites and those teams don't get suspended. Landeskog put himself in the same position as Plante but didn't get injured. Somehow Sutton got 5 games and Weiss got nothing for the same hit. Plante got injured and is out indefinitely with a concussion and Landeskog didn't get injured. Aaron Dater wanted 25 games for Sutton on that hit.

Vancouver has gotten away with no SD five times against the Oilers alone. The Canucks have gotten away with dirty hits and no SD against other teams as well.

It's open season on Oilers players. You can throw dirty hits on Oilers players but you won't get SD since it's the Oilers not one of the big market teams like the Canucks.

402 12-27-2011 10:26 PM

i thought for sure he'd get suspended. i know it wasn't a head shot but regardless it was charging/boarding, he didn't have to hit him that hard, and plante is concussed

a 2 game suspention would have been very reasonable

come on shanny :rant:

Narnia 12-27-2011 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 402 (Post 41544009)
i thought for sure he'd get suspended. i know it wasn't a head shot but regardless it was charging/boarding, he didn't have to hit him that hard, and plante is concussed

a 2 game suspention would have been very reasonable

come on shanny :rant:

It's the Oilers and Shanny won't suspend anyone for a dirty hit on the Oilers. There have been 5 dirty hits by Canucks on the Oilers as well as on other teams by the Canucks and not one got SD.

CanadianHockey 12-27-2011 10:52 PM

Didn't think it was suspension worth. Penalty was harsh enough.

dobiezeke* 12-27-2011 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Narnia (Post 41544637)
It's the Oilers and Shanny won't suspend anyone for a dirty hit on the Oilers. There have been 5 dirty hits by Canucks on the Oilers as well as on other teams by the Canucks and not one got SD.

Suspend Plante for playing a contact sport with his head down...

Seriously, this hit has been reviewed several times this year with no suspension - and rightfully so.

Narnia 12-27-2011 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dobiezeke (Post 41544865)
Suspend Plante for playing a contact sport with his head down...

Seriously, this hit has been reviewed several times this year with no suspension - and rightfully so.

If an Oilers player had done that to a Canucks player, there would have been a suspension. I'm frankly fed up with the constant liberties taken on Oilers players and Shanaban throws a blind eye and no SD. It's as if Edmonton isn't even in the NHL by the way team are allowed to get away with liberties and not worry about being suspended.

dobiezeke* 12-27-2011 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Narnia (Post 41544983)
If an Oilers player had done that to a Canucks player, there would have been a suspension. I'm frankly fed up with the constant liberties taken on Oilers players and Shanaban throws a blind eye and no SD. It's as if Edmonton isn't even in the NHL by the way team are allowed to get away with liberties and not worry about being suspended.

29 other teams in the league - you might want to start watching other games to understand what is going on regarding suspensions...or lack thereof.

Nunymare 12-27-2011 11:08 PM

Was a shoulder to shoulder. A charging/boarding penalty maybe, but not a suspension. Plante put himself in a bad position, and it's really unfortunate how he went down/is injured.

Just an unfortunate play. Not a conspiracy against us that Weise isn't getting suspended.

IBleedOil247 12-28-2011 01:12 AM

Hate to say it, but it was a good, hard, hockey hit, with a terrible outcome...

If there was a suspension, we would have more of a problem. In my opinion, the 5 minute major was an over reaction to the state that Plante was in....

Moonlapse Vertigo 12-28-2011 01:17 AM

Good hockey hit.

elpol 12-28-2011 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Narnia (Post 41544983)

I think somebody else in another thread already said this: Perhaps the only solution is for the Oilers to take their toys, leave the NHL and start their own league. Seriously Narnia, all that time you spend crafting those wonderful, haiku-like posts is having a detrimental effect on your judgement. Even Judge Judy and Judge Brown will tell you that hearsay and circumstantial evidence won't stand up in court. Any court. Just saying it over and over doesn't make it so. Even most Americans agree that there were no WMD's in Iraq. Time to move on.