HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Islanders (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Prospect Info: 2011-2012 Prospect Talk PART II (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1064915)

Homeland Security 12-28-2011 11:30 AM

2011-2012 Prospect Talk PART II
 
Continue on....



Part I here:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=915147

SDIsles34 12-28-2011 01:06 PM

Prospect Preference
 
I will kick things off... Considering it is that time of year when Islander fans focus more on prospects and the draft rather than the actual team.

If you had to choose to keep one prospect over another, who do you keep and who do you let go? obviously hypothetical...

Nelson or Lee?

Kabanov or Petrov?

Nilsson or Poulin?

De Haan or Donovan?

BaileyToOkposo 12-28-2011 01:14 PM

All hard.. nelson or lee, I would prob say nelson bc little from what I've seen nelson seems to have more hockey skill than lee but lee is always in the right place.
Kabonov or petrov, def kabanov bc u kno he can def come over, otherwise if petrov was easy to get over here id choose him.
Nilsson or poulin? Honestly to hard for me to say so both
De haan or donovan, as of now I say donovan but I think de haan has more potential

WangMustGo 12-28-2011 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDIsles34 (Post 41558425)
I will kick things off... Considering it is that time of year when Islander fans focus more on prospects and the draft rather than the actual team.

If you had to choose to keep one prospect over another, who do you keep and who do you let go? obviously hypothetical...

Nelson or Lee?

Kabanov or Petrov?

Nilsson or Poulin?

De Haan or Donovan?

Nelson: putting up big numbers, and just looks to have so much raw talent. This kid is going to be a top 6 forward down the road IMO.

Kabanov: He is safer because he is already in north america. He is also fluent in english which helps him. Petrov has a lot of talent though, if he comes over I would probably favor him.

Poulin: We have seen it in the NHL, and Nilsson has struggled a bit to adjust to the North American rinks.

This one is really tough, I am going to give the nod to De Hann, I feel he has a bit higher of a ceiling, and is a bit more rounded of a player. I do really like Donovan though, he has a lot of potential.


I am going to add one more

Strome or Nino?

scott99 12-28-2011 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WangMustGo (Post 41559337)
Nelson: putting up big numbers, and just looks to have so much raw talent. This kid is going to be a top 6 forward down the road IMO.

Kabanov: He is safer because he is already in north america. He is also fluent in english which helps him. Petrov has a lot of talent though, if he comes over I would probably favor him.

Poulin: We have seen it in the NHL, and Nilsson has struggled a bit to adjust to the North American rinks.

This one is really tough, I am going to give the nod to De Hann, I feel he has a bit higher of a ceiling, and is a bit more rounded of a player. I do really like Donovan though, he has a lot of potential.


I am going to add one more

Strome or Nino?

Strome has more OFFENSIVE upside, whereas Nino has more overall upside. Tough call, I'd go with Nino, his overall talent is worth more.

SDIsles34 12-28-2011 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WangMustGo (Post 41559337)
Nelson: putting up big numbers, and just looks to have so much raw talent. This kid is going to be a top 6 forward down the road IMO.

Kabanov: He is safer because he is already in north america. He is also fluent in english which helps him. Petrov has a lot of talent though, if he comes over I would probably favor him.

Poulin: We have seen it in the NHL, and Nilsson has struggled a bit to adjust to the North American rinks.

This one is really tough, I am going to give the nod to De Hann, I feel he has a bit higher of a ceiling, and is a bit more rounded of a player. I do really like Donovan though, he has a lot of potential.


I am going to add one more

Strome or Nino?

I have to agree on Nelson. His development has been pleasantly suprising as it looks like he is learning to use his size more effectively. At last years WJC, he looked raw and sometimes uncomfortable out there but from highlights and stats it looks like he may be learning to adjust.

I am not sold on either Kabanov or Petrov but at this point I'd keep Petrov. Kabanov has given us no reason to believe he can put it all together for a full season. I could see him give us flashes of brilliance followed by long periods of frustration. Hope he proves me wrong. Just a feeling I have.

I am a big Poulin fan but I think Nilsson has a higher ceiling and he is less injury prone. Those knee surgeries scare me when looking at Poulin as a long-term answer. Despite Nilsson's atrocious NHL debut, I still think he is the future of the Isles in goal.

For De Haan and Donovan, I go with De Haan based on his ability to carry and control the puck under pressure, he showed some real promise in his first game in NHL and hopefully he can build off that momentum. However, I still haven't watched enough out of Donovan.

I'd have to pick Nino based on his ability to help us as a 3rd line checking forward if his offensive upside doesn't reach his expected potential while Strome doesn't seem to fit anywhere if he isn't in our Top 6 contributing consistent offensive numbers.

Only time will tell.

On Edge 12-28-2011 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDIsles34 (Post 41558425)
I will kick things off... Considering it is that time of year when Islander fans focus more on prospects and the draft rather than the actual team.

If you had to choose to keep one prospect over another, who do you keep and who do you let go? obviously hypothetical...

Nelson or Lee?

Kabanov or Petrov?

Nilsson or Poulin?

De Haan or Donovan?

Nelson and Lee .... hoping for big things from both but if I had to pick one...I'd pick Nelson.

Kababov > Petrov.

Nilsson > Poulin. Don't like the injuries Poulin has had.

De Haan > Donovan. Like them both.

On Edge 12-28-2011 04:04 PM

[QUOTE=WangMustGo;41559337]Nelson: putting up big numbers, and just looks to have so much raw talent. This kid is going to be a top 6 forward down the road IMO.

Kabanov: He is safer because he is already in north america. He is also fluent in english which helps him. Petrov has a lot of talent though, if he comes over I would probably favor him.

Poulin: We have seen it in the NHL, and Nilsson has struggled a bit to adjust to the North American rinks.

This one is really tough, I am going to give the nod to De Hann, I feel he has a bit higher of a ceiling, and is a bit more rounded of a player. I do really like Donovan though, he has a lot of potential.


I am going to add one more

Strome or Nino?[/QUOTE]

Strome and I don't think it's close. I have major doubts about Nino.

BelovedIsles 12-28-2011 09:20 PM

Strome with another strong game tonight. An offensive threat many of his shifts, 1 g, 1 a. Put him with talent and he will produce, wondering what kind of chemistry he can generate with JT, who equally likes to work down low.

Musil was strong for the Czechs, stay-at-homer, relied upon for many minutes.

Gormley is my favorite D man for Canada.

PWJunior 12-28-2011 09:48 PM

Strome had a really good night, impressed me a whole lot more than last game. He could have had a hat trick, the goalie robbed him twice with sick saves. Ryan better check his wallet to make sure nothing is missing.

I'm still not enamored with his skating, but boy is he offensively dynamic. Seemed to get stronger as the game went on and he's definitely displaying a lot of confidence. Had some sick set ups too that couldn't be finished. He was definitely up there as the most dangerous Canadian forward. BTW, that kid Tanner Pearson really impressed me with limited ice time.

The more I'm watching Strome, he looks like a right handed JT during his rookie year. I think he'd compliment JT really well when he's ready. They both have excellent vision and high hockey sense - that's a recipe for success. Add in the fact that they both have some sick mitts and are very creative. The only thing is that I've never been a big fan of moving a natural center to wing, but that's what will have to happen if we want to see that JT and Strome on the same line. I'm sure they'd be really good on the PP if they are not linemates.

BelovedIsles 12-28-2011 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PWJunior (Post 41586183)

The more I'm watching Strome, he looks like a right handed JT during his rookie year. I think he'd compliment JT really well when he's ready. They both have excellent vision and high hockey sense - that's a recipe for success. Add in the fact that they both have some sick mitts and are very creative. The only thing is that I've never been a big fan of moving a natural center to wing, but that's what will have to happen if we want to see that JT and Strome on the same line. I'm sure they'd be really good on the PP if they are not linemates.

He better compliment NYI's franchise centerman. Oh... and I agree their styles of play would complement each other, once Strome is quicker and stronger. :)

PWJunior 12-28-2011 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BelovedIsles (Post 41586439)
He better compliment NYI's franchise centerman. Oh... and I agree their styles of play would complement each other, once Strome is quicker and stronger. :)

Haha, thanks for the correction - jerk. :)

JT is our franchise center. I can't recall seeing a 'move JT to wing' comment since the season started... he's put that baby to rest. Strome will need to move to RW. I will say that if JT and Strome are on the same line, a player like Martin needs to be on the LW - someone big and physical who will do the dirty work.

IslandersFan17 12-28-2011 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PWJunior (Post 41587547)
Haha, thanks for the correction - jerk. :)

JT is our franchise center. I can't recall seeing a 'move JT to wing' comment since the season started... he's put that baby to rest. Strome will need to move to RW. I will say that if JT and Strome are on the same line, a player like Martin needs to be on the LW - someone big and physical who will do the dirty work.

Im reality isn't Nino supposed to be that player? A power forward who can do the dirty work? I like Martin but when it comes to the skill level of Tavares and what we all are hoping Strome can become then why not put just as high end a talent in Nino on the wing?

Heck to be honest Petrov would be IDEAL on that line.

PWJunior 12-28-2011 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 (Post 41587891)
Im reality isn't Nino supposed to be that player? A power forward who can do the dirty work? I like Martin but when it comes to the skill level of Tavares and what we all are hoping Strome can become then why not put just as high end a talent in Nino on the wing?

Heck to be honest Petrov would be IDEAL on that line.

It could be Nino, Petrov, Lee, or anyone else. I don't expect to see this line until 2013-14 at the earliest. I hope that the Isles do the smart thing and send him back to Niagara next year, but we all know that his inflated $1.8M cap is just too much for the Isles to resist. You can pretty much write his name in ink for next year's roster. :shakehead

StumpNYI 12-28-2011 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PWJunior (Post 41586183)
Strome had a really good night, impressed me a whole lot more than last game. He could have had a hat trick, the goalie robbed him twice with sick saves. Ryan better check his wallet to make sure nothing is missing.

I'm still not enamored with his skating, but boy is he offensively dynamic. Seemed to get stronger as the game went on and he's definitely displaying a lot of confidence. Had some sick set ups too that couldn't be finished. He was definitely up there as the most dangerous Canadian forward. BTW, that kid Tanner Pearson really impressed me with limited ice time.

The more I'm watching Strome, he looks like a right handed JT during his rookie year. I think he'd compliment JT really well when he's ready. They both have excellent vision and high hockey sense - that's a recipe for success. Add in the fact that they both have some sick mitts and are very creative. The only thing is that I've never been a big fan of moving a natural center to wing, but that's what will have to happen if we want to see that JT and Strome on the same line. I'm sure they'd be really good on the PP if they are not linemates.

I watched the game and this is what I noticed most about Strome. He was always in great position when he got the puck to make plays or shoot. The one thing i noticed is he doesnt have the puck pursuit like JT. JT wants the puck all the time. Strome seems to float a little more. But he is sneaky and seemed like the Czech defense had trouble tracking him. His shot once fully developed will be very dangerous. One thing Strome clearly has that JT does not. I can see how they will compliment each other some day based on those two things. On defense, he seems a little soft.

PWJunior 12-28-2011 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StumpNYI (Post 41588983)
I watched the game and this is what I noticed most about Strome. He was always in great position when he got the puck to make plays or shoot. The one thing i noticed is he doesnt have the puck pursuit like JT. JT wants the puck all the time. Strome seems to float a little more. But he is sneaky and seemed like the Czech defense had trouble tracking him. His shot once fully developed will be very dangerous. One thing Strome clearly has that JT does not. I can see how they will compliment each other some day based on those two things. On defense, he seems a little soft.

It's 'complement' dude! :sarcasm:

I already got called out, might as well call you out too! :laugh:

For the reasons you posted, Strome reminds me a lot of JT. JT wasn't ready physically his rookie year, but his elite hockey sense saved his bacon. We've seen the progression as he's gotten stronger - it's not funny how much he's improved since day one. If Ryan can have a similar physical progression... he's going to be dynamite.

StumpNYI 12-28-2011 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PWJunior (Post 41589547)
It's 'complement' dude! :sarcasm:

I already got called out, might as well call you out too! :laugh:

For the reasons you posted, Strome reminds me a lot of JT. JT wasn't ready physically his rookie year, but his elite hockey sense saved his bacon. We've seen the progression as he's gotten stronger - it's not funny how much he's improved since day one. If Ryan can have a similar physical progression... he's going to be dynamite.

Really?! I even read those posts. It's late. That is my excuse.

Chapin Landvogt 12-29-2011 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 (Post 41587891)
There is one prospect that seems like the kid fell off the face of the planet in Johan Sundstrom. Johan was one of our second round picks last year and aside from Nelson is the biggest forward we have in the system.

I know the guy only had one goal (the lone point) in 41 games last year and five total points in 30 games for the Elitserien league. However, the kid has been all over it seems like and plays well internationally.

I would like if someone could give me a better break down than this one. -

"Spelarprofil på svenska
A center, that can also play wing. Sundström has very good size, strength and speed. Has nice hands and hockey sense. Doesn't mind going into high-traffic areas. Is very well-rounded. Has tremendous reach. Pretty good release. Some consistency issues. (EP 2011)"- http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=16727

Almost missed this one!

Don't worry about stats. The kid has some real goods. Almost everything about his game is very solid for his age and he's been playing with men for two years now. A mature player, there's much about his actual playing style that is a bit reminiscent of Mats Sundin. Now, I can't possibly say he'll ever produce in a manner that could ever resemble that, but he is on path to becoming an NHL player with that kind of stature.

These WJCs should be interesting. He's the assistant captain and is on the top line. Still, he only has one point amongst 12 goals scored in regulation.

SthlmNYI 12-29-2011 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt (Post 41595041)
Almost missed this one!

Don't worry about stats. The kid has some real goods. Almost everything about his game is very solid for his age and he's been playing with men for two years now. A mature player, there's much about his actual playing style that is a bit reminiscent of Mats Sundin. Now, I can't possibly say he'll ever produce in a manner that could ever resemble that, but he is on path to becoming an NHL player with that kind of stature.

These WJCs should be interesting. He's the assistant captain and is on the top line. Still, he only has one point amongst 12 goals scored in regulation.

Right on.

In no way a flashy player, but rather a player who is playing solid every night, finishing plays, and giving it all in every shift.
Sundin is a good comparison to his style of play, Zetterberg is another.

Could very well turn into a Nielsen with size down the road, possibly more offensive upside.

Height: 190 cm / 6'3"
Weight: 91 kg / 201 lbs

Alessandro Seren Rosso 12-30-2011 10:02 AM

Just published a translated interview with Andrei Pedan: http://www.russianprospects.com/publ...article_id=703
Thanks for reading

seafoam 12-30-2011 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alessandro Seren Rosso (Post 41652241)
Just published a translated interview with Andrei Pedan: http://www.russianprospects.com/publ...article_id=703
Thanks for reading

High character guy! ;)

Also, nice interview! Thanks

bluechipbonzo 12-30-2011 07:34 PM

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/scores/boxscore/?id=1771628

Cousin Johan with a goal and two helpers today...

CREW99AW 01-02-2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDIsles34 (Post 41563927)
I have to agree on Nelson. His develop

I am not sold on either Kabanov or Petrov but at this point I'd keep Petrov. Kabanov has given us no reason to believe he can put it all together for a full season. I could see him give us flashes of brilliance followed by long periods of frustration. Hope he proves me wrong. Just a feeling I have.

Only time will tell.

Kabanov IS putting together a very good junior season on the ice.

There's been no off ice drama or issues.

He'll be old enough to play in the AHL next season,if he doesn't make the NYI roster instead.

I expect Snow will be talking with Petrov and his reps when his contract expires this summer.I'll start to get excited about him as a prospect,when he actually commits to either the NHL or AHL.

StrongIslanders90 01-02-2012 10:53 AM

Nelson,Kabonov,Poulin,and de Hann

kasper11 01-02-2012 10:54 AM

For anyone with Time Warner Cable, it looks like we temporarily have NHL Network instead of MSG+ for now. It will have Canada and Sweden's games tomorrow.

Would rather watch the Isles, but it is better than nothing.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:27 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.