HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Speculation: Goalie controversy - Winter Classic edition (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1066025)

Vikke 12-29-2011 08:37 PM

Goalie controversy - Winter Classic edition

I'll just say that Bob truly deserves the start, but I do believe that Bryz will get it.
Let's face it, if this was a regular game agains the Rangers, Bob'd start, right?
But the Winter Classic has this... all eyes on us-feel... And to bench the $51 million man wouldn't look very good, right?

RevUpThoseGolfCarts 12-29-2011 08:38 PM

Bryz is playing no matter what.

Phileeguy 12-29-2011 08:43 PM

Couldn't agree more. Bob starting would make sense in any other year, but it's a huge slap in the face to Bryz if he doesn't start, not to mention a bit of a black eye on the organization for the signing.

A win would be nice, a loss wouldn't be the worst thing in the world as it's just 2 points in the standings. But Bryz better not lay an egg.

Pandl 12-29-2011 08:44 PM

Just 2 pts in the standings? That goes against everything that Lavy believes.

bryzgalovsky* 12-29-2011 08:46 PM

Bryzgalov is starting and the Flyers are going to lose probably.

Looking forward to next Thursday vs. Chicago.

RoDu 12-29-2011 08:53 PM

Bryz's play of late has been a slap in the face of the team and fans, Bob deserves it more, but it's not up to me

MiamiScreamingEagles 12-29-2011 08:57 PM

Enter Jeff Reese's analysis and observations.

MrHockey1982 12-29-2011 09:03 PM

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/..._Penguins.html

"The usual starter, Ilya Bryzgalov, is expected to get his next chance in the Winter Classic on Monday, but on Thursday night, Bobrovsky extended his career record in Pittsburgh to 4-0."

SgtJoseph 12-29-2011 09:04 PM

The Flyers BRASS better grow a serious pair and start BOB because he earned another start......It's just that simple....They will hear a lot of BOOS if they cave in to HBO or the 51 million dollar contract nonsense....I like Bryz, but he is just having his troubles as do many goalies from time to time, and his back up has looked sharp.It might do BRYZ a world of good to sit a little and sort through a few things....There is nothing that is dishonorable about that at all, its a TEAM game......If Bryz got the start and he has one of his moments, it might be disastrous to his already gripping mental state..If he does start i pray he knocks em out with a brilliant game for his sake !

Fenza 12-29-2011 09:07 PM

Bob has definitely earned the start, but Bryz will be in net. Bob's earned a lot more starts than he's been given this season too.

GKJ 12-29-2011 09:08 PM

Bob has earned it. Bryz has a 9-year contract, that's likely long enough to be around for the next time we're in it.

Cmoneyflyguy 12-29-2011 09:10 PM

Starting Bob would be absolutely idiotic.

SgtJoseph 12-29-2011 09:14 PM

If BRYZ gets the nod, you won't be able to drive a greased needle up his a$$ with a 20lb sledge hammer when he skates out there in front of 40k crazy a$$ fans that know he has been struggling ?Homer and Lavy will be in pretty much the same "tight" condition !

MiamiScreamingEagles 12-29-2011 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SgtJoseph (Post 41632435)
The Flyers BRASS better grow a serious pair and start BOB because he earned another start......It's just that simple....They will hear a lot of BOOS if they cave in to HBO or the 51 million dollar contract nonsense....I like Bryz, but he is just having his troubles as do many goalies from time to time, and his back up has looked sharp.It might do BRYZ a world of good to sit a little and sort through a few things....There is nothing that is dishonorable about that at all, its a TEAM game......If Bryz got the start and he has one of his moments, it might be disastrous to his already gripping mental state..If he does start i pray he knocks em out with a brilliant game for his sake !

Bernie Parent had a string of nearly 40 straight starts. He was part of a promotion for a game on NBC. Fred Shero started Bobby Taylor (the current Tampa Bay analyst). Shero was asked why, and he said "It's his turn." :)

Back in the early 80s, the Flyers employed a team psychologist named Julie Anthony. She was a tennis pro. Married to the brother of the Flyers' team President at the time. Ring ring.

SgtJoseph 12-29-2011 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles (Post 41633797)
Bernie Parent had a string of nearly 40 straight starts. He was part of a promotion for a game on NBC. Fred Shero started Bobby Taylor (the current Tampa Bay analyst). Shero was asked why, and he said "It's his turn." :)

Back in the early 80s, the Flyers employed a team psychologist named Julie Anthony. She was a tennis pro. Married to the brother of the Flyers' team President at the time. Ring ring.

Excellent !

StandingCow 12-29-2011 09:27 PM

Should be bob. But it will be bryz.

Xegiie 12-29-2011 09:44 PM

Bob was awesome tonight except 2nd goal.
But i would like to see Bryz in the net, i still have faith in the guy, please don't dissapoint me anymore:)

Damaged Goods 12-29-2011 10:33 PM

Has to be Bryz.

Flyerfan4life 12-29-2011 10:54 PM

all i can say is if Bryz gets this start, he better turn up and play like he's been paid to ALL season...

this game is no place to "drift off into the universe of suk" yet again.

i just hope this game doesnt come down to our goalie vs theirs. if you know what i mean.

achdumeingute 12-29-2011 11:19 PM

If Bryz gets the start I'll feel alot better if the forwards have the commitment to backchecking like they did against PIT.

I'm assuming this game will garner a great work ethic from both teams.

WeekendAtBernies 12-30-2011 01:24 AM

It needs to be Bob.

Sorry, but it 100% has to be.

It's about time this organization stops being all lovey ****ing dovey w/ Bryzgalov.

We've handled him w/ kit gloves, sitting him against teams we thought he might have a problem with like the Jets. It hasn't worked.

It's time to smack him right in his face. Let him and his shiny new mask sit right on the bench and watch Bobrovsky win the biggest regular season game of the season in front of 50,000 strong and another several million watching @ home. Show the national audience who our real goalie is.

By the way, I've been extremely critical of Bryzgalov, but I haven't given up on him. I think he can get it going... but he needs something to happen to spark him. This is that moment. He hasn't responded well when the organization has continued to show confidence in him and just let him keep playing. It's time to try something new. Embarrass "universe" in front of the entire hockey "universe" and make him feel like he's in a legit fight for his job. Then we'll see what happens and what he's really made of.

If Bryz can't handle the adversity of a goalie controversy / sitting out the Winter Classic, then he sure as hell doesn't have the mental fortitude to guide us through the playoffs to a Stanley Cup.

Kaktus* 12-30-2011 09:17 AM

Mods, why not make this a poll? Bryzgalov vs Bobrovsky in winter classic.

pelts35.com 12-30-2011 09:22 AM

Bob deserves the start, but no chance that he will. Bryz had a mask made up for the game that will be auctioned off and 3 sets of vintage pads made just for the game.

SnS 12-30-2011 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitroglycerin (Post 41651129)
Mods, why not make this a poll? Bryzgalov vs Bobrovsky in winter classic.

Done. I set it to close the first I believe.

DrinkFightFlyers 12-30-2011 09:41 AM

You gotta start Bryz. Bob has hands down, no questions asked, played better as of late. But like it or not, this is Bryz's job for the foreseeable future. I'd like to see him play in the game also because it is a big stage type of game. If he plays lights out it could be an indicator of his ability to perform under pressure. If he ***** the bed it could also be an indicator that our worst fears are true.