HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Washington Capitals (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   what to do with shultz? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1066445)

pgreene 12-30-2011 10:03 AM

what to do with shultz?

double nickel's barely seeing the ice these days. he's way too expensive to keep as a 7th defenseman but, then again, the caps don't really have another option in that slot (unless and until green comes back for more than a game). his trade value has to be at an all time low, but he certainly has some value. so what happens to this kid? do they endeavor to train the lad? ship him for a 3d rounder? package him? steve eminger him?

ChibiPooky 12-30-2011 10:13 AM

He wouldn't clear waivers IMO. I personally would look to package him for an upgrade at LD.

BiPolar Caps 12-30-2011 10:28 AM

There's a future for him somewhere

Carlzner 12-30-2011 10:30 AM

at the very least for a pick to free up cap space.

hyzer23 12-30-2011 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChibiPooky (Post 41652515)
He wouldn't clear waivers IMO. I personally would look to package him for an upgrade at LD.

would he really? at one point in time he was somewhat highly regarded by other gms no?

edit: mis read post...disregard thank you...

HSHS 12-30-2011 10:47 AM

Fly me to the moon
Let me sing, among the stars
Let me see what spring is like
On Jupiter and Mars

BiPolar Caps 12-30-2011 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HSHS (Post 41653481)
Fly me to the moon
On Jupiter and Mars

In other words get him the h^&% out of here
In other words :handclap:

Mystlyfe 12-30-2011 11:01 AM

Make him team captain and play him for 35 minutes a night.

BiPolar Caps 12-30-2011 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystlyfe (Post 41653865)
Make him team captain and play him for 35 minutes a night.

Trade him and the Colorado first to Toronto for David Steckel. Watched the game last night and they were using Steckel on the PP. :shakehead

txpd 12-30-2011 11:11 AM

its really hard to trade a defenseman for a defenseman. any team with a surplus of d very likely wont want schultz. any team needing d enough to take schultz wont have a better player to return.

trading schultz would more likely be a two part deal. trade him for futures to create roster and cap space and then find another player from another source to fill that need.

Fallschirmyager 12-30-2011 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner (Post 41652975)
at the very least for a pick to free up cap space.

I'd say he has a very few chances left to prove his worth otherwise he'll be traded off for whatever you can get. If it means waiving him to fit in a trade for a needed piece then so be it. Specially if its a solid stay at home D.

Fallschirmyager 12-30-2011 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpd (Post 41654181)
its really hard to trade a defenseman for a defenseman. any team with a surplus of d very likely wont want schultz. any team needing d enough to take schultz wont have a better player to return.

trading schultz would more likely be a two part deal. trade him for futures to create roster and cap space and then find another player from another source to fill that need.

We'd have to sweeten the pot for certain to make it happen. It just depends on what it would take.

IafrateOvie34 12-30-2011 11:21 AM

Columbus lost Wiz last night, so maybe they will take Schultz.

RandyHolt 12-30-2011 11:48 AM

Is he faster than Hammer? I saw Hammer in a foot race last game. Sarge may be able to beat him, but getting Sarge to skate his hardest go full bore, seems like its a bigger issue than footspeed. At least Hammer tries.

I am thinking JJ doesnt like his lack of aggressiveness. He moves OK for a huge player. Whats left, reading and reacting. He is just passive and it worked for him playing zone. But you can count on one hand the times per year he skates his hardest, same for how many times he goes and gets a loose puck when both D look at each other.

Until he skates his hardest every game, like Erskine does, he will be riding the pine, trade value dropping. Moving him for CAP space will not amount to anything significant, vs his value as depth. I would say. Until he fails to prove he is willing to work his hardest and be aggressive, I predict George holds him as a depth defensemen. George holds aka hords his picks as we all know.

Our team spokesperson and wannabe captain always says, its on the players to give the full effort. Sarge is not immune.

tycoonheart 12-30-2011 11:51 AM

Trade him for a bag of peanuts.

HSHS 12-30-2011 12:02 PM

Alzner skates backwards faster than Hammer and Sarge.

WetHog 12-30-2011 12:04 PM

What to do with JFS? Something along these lines is the only thing to do:

http://i43.tinypic.com/23m7dpj.jpg

txpd 12-30-2011 12:19 PM

i think sarge gives the best effort he can in the press box. i also dont think schultz makes mistakes out of laziness unless you think he doesnt care if he plays hockey anymore.

pgreene 12-30-2011 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HSHS (Post 41653481)
Fly me to the moon
On Jupiter and Mars

this is close enough to the "put him in a rocket and shoot him into the sun" response I was certain I would get to count me as psychic. well done.

RandyHolt 12-30-2011 12:47 PM

I dont think Sarge is lazy, he just isn't assertive. He has possibly been spoiled much his whole career, in that his partner always had to be the one to do the hard skating, the puck retrieval, take the big hit to make the play. Throwing it up to Sarge camped on the half boards, largely watching. Which all may have stunted his development. Now he was able to move pucks out from that point, but I contend, which NHL defensemen can't get the puck up and out when not under pressure?

Until he goes and gets the puck, or goes after the puck carrier, he will be watching how its done.

Who put the training wheels on him, Dale? Or JJ telling Dale, dude, he doesn't move, what do we do. Part of George wanting Dale has to be supporting Dale. If he doesnt support Dale in his player preferences, he is half assing giving him the job.

Hale Dunter 12-30-2011 12:51 PM

Get somebody that can win a faceoff for crying out loud. Or put Halpern on more. He has taken 1/2 the faceoffs Steckel has this year. Seemed like Steckel was on for every important faceoff in a game and he is no better a player beyond the dot than Halpern is, worse actually.

Hows the Canucks D? Maybe we can get Malhotra somehow. Bring Belenger back, something, I'm sick of losing faceoffs.

Our C's tonight are reportedly

???

txpd 12-30-2011 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyHolt (Post 41657633)
I dont think Sarge is lazy, he just isn't assertive..

you said ,"its on the players to give the full effort. Sarge is not immune."

lack of effort=lazy

what you really want is for schultz...and alzner for that matter...to change their game and play my physical than they are comfortable with and with an edge they are very uncomfortable with. i would not call that a lack of effort.

ChibiPooky 12-30-2011 01:02 PM

Beagle led the team in faceoff percentage last year. Halpern leads the league this year. Laich is over 50% iirc.

txpd 12-30-2011 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChibiPooky (Post 41658167)
Beagle led the team in faceoff percentage last year. Halpern leads the league this year. Laich is over 50% iirc.

backy is over 51% and laich over 50%

BrooklynCapsFan 12-30-2011 02:57 PM

Is there a way for McPhee to tear up his current deal and re-sign him to longer term and higher cap hit?