HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Trade Niittymaki? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=106787)

BringGilmourBack 10-02-2004 12:48 PM

Trade Niittymaki?

With the emergence of Esche last year as your obvious #1 goaltender, and I believe you still have Burke under contract through next year(player 's option I believe) would you guys conside dealing Niittymaki. I'm a Leaf fan and liked his play last year and was curious what you would want in return for him. Reallistically of course. Thanks

easton122 10-02-2004 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vedder19
With the emergence of Esche last year as your obvious #1 goaltender, and I believe you still have Burke under contract through next year(player 's option I believe) would you guys conside dealing Niittymaki. I'm a Leaf fan and liked his play last year and was curious what you would want in return for him. Reallistically of course. Thanks

There is no way Clarke is going to trade Niittymaki.

flyerchick12 10-02-2004 01:15 PM

I don't think BC would trade Nitty I hope he wouldn't. Plus I don't think the Leafs have anything that BC would be interested in.

RJ8812* 10-02-2004 01:17 PM

Quote:

you have to understand this, the Flyers wont make moves like the leafs do, like trade away young guys to keep (get) vets, Niittymaki is our future in goal and if we decided to trade him, Toronto would be one of the last places he'd go, and if u did get him, we'd probably rip u off big time. you've got a way better chance of getting Burke. dont u guys have tellqvist? all the leaf fans here say he's going to be one of the best in the league....

flyersrock1 10-02-2004 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by easton122

You never say never. Clarke would only trade him for a great deal. You do have a very nice looking D man in the minors. I always like Colaiacovo. Throw in Tellquist and move around a draft pick and lets get the ball rolling. Remember Esche is only 26 and we have a few other goalies in the system.

BringGilmourBack 10-02-2004 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Flyers_
you have to understand this, the Flyers wont make moves like the leafs do, like trade away young guys to keep (get) vets, Niittymaki is our future in goal and if we decided to trade him, Toronto would be one of the last places he'd go, and if u did get him, we'd probably rip u off big time. you've got a way better chance of getting Burke. dont u guys have tellqvist? all the leaf fans here say he's going to be one of the best in the league....

Nah, Tellqvist sucks...and isn't Esche relatively young. So you'd rather have him(Niittymaki) warming the bench? Or have him waste away in the minors. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Clarke has knocked on the Leafs door numerous times in the last number of years , asking for the likes of Antropov, and Kaberle, to name a few. And I'm sure he'd want Ponikarovsky. Anyways

Toonces 10-02-2004 02:26 PM

This season he's going to be wasting away in the AHL regardless, but I suspect he'll eventually wind up in the backup spot behind Esche.

I hope he gets a shot to earn his way up before we do something crazy and get rid of him.

Brad* 10-02-2004 02:41 PM

Trading him would be fruitless anyway because he would be of little value to another team. The goalie market has been poor for a while now.

FearTheFlyers 10-02-2004 02:55 PM

I don't agree with the stement he would never trade Nitty. I do believe that he would never trade Nitty to the Leafs though.

FlyersProspect2 10-02-2004 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Flyers_

Saying Nitty is our future in goal is very arguable. IMO Esche is going to remain the number one guy for the Flyers and Nitty is going to be his backup unless we trade him. We have a number of goalie prospects that could be pretty good backups in the NHL, trading Nitty while his value is high actually makes sense.

Dr Love 10-02-2004 03:46 PM

Burke is going to be boughtout and Nittymaki is going to be the backup. At least, that is the plan.

renberg 10-02-2004 04:51 PM

Three years from now Nittymaki will be the starting goaltender and Esche will be out of town in a trade. Esche is good but not great while Nittymaki could be something very special. He has a better glove hand; stays healthy (not an insignificant thing with Esche) and makes big saves that can turn a series for the Flyers. Judge Nittymaki by what he did with the Flyers lsst season not by what he did with the Phantoms. He has shown marked improvement every year since he came over to play.

Rex88 10-02-2004 05:33 PM

Quote:

Nah, Tellqvist sucks...and isn't Esche relatively young. So you'd rather have him(Niittymaki) warming the bench? Or have him waste away in the minors. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Clarke has knocked on the Leafs door numerous times in the last number of years , asking for the likes of Antropov, and Kaberle, to name a few. And I'm sure he'd want Ponikarovsky. Anyways

The only time these two spoke of trades was with Lindros and yes those were the names mentioned. I really doubt these two teams would be in a hurry to make a deal.

easton122 10-02-2004 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSpeedOnly
I don't agree with the stement he would never trade Nitty. I do believe that he would never trade Nitty to the Leafs though.

Say what you want but I believe Niittymaki was the main reason Clarke thought Ouellet was expendable. Since then Niittymaki has come from a decent prospect to a standout especially in Clarke's mind. I really think Clarke has Niittymaki pencilled in as the #1 in a few years and Esche slipping back into a backup role again unless Esche really breaks out. He's been good. Average #1 goaltender good but if he doesn't improve in the next few years he'll be traded or be a backup again.

GKJ 10-03-2004 08:23 AM

Quote:

There is no way Clarke is going to trade Niittymaki to the Leafs either.

mikedifr 10-03-2004 12:09 PM

Quote:

Say what you want but I believe Niittymaki was the main reason Clarke thought Ouellet was expendable. Since then Niittymaki has come from a decent prospect to a standout especially in Clarke's mind. I really think Clarke has Niittymaki pencilled in as the #1 in a few years and Esche slipping back into a backup role again unless Esche really breaks out. He's been good. Average #1 goaltender good but if he doesn't improve in the next few years he'll be traded or be a backup again.

Did you watch the world cup??

I am not going to put Esche up with the elite starting goalies, but I think he is much better than an average #1.

easton122 10-03-2004 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikedifr
Did you watch the world cup??

I am not going to put Esche up with the elite starting goalies, but I think he is much better than an average #1.

Since there are so many goalie I consider better than Esche I think he's only an average #1. Unless you think half the league consists of good goaltenders.

Jester 10-04-2004 01:10 PM

Burke is easily tradeable considering half of his salary is getting eaten by Phoenix. Assuming we ever play, I would expect Burke to find himself somewhere else at some point, but i don't think we need to buy him out, someone will want him.

The jury is still out on Esche, but he looks like he's developing into a very strong #1. Is he ever going to be Brodeur? No. However, Esche's strength is his consistency. The guy isn't going to throw a ton of shutouts, but he's rarely going to let us fall out of a game completely. He was the last goalie to allow 4 goals(for the first time) last year, and that counts for something.

He was also VERY strong for team USA in the world cup... until he proves he doesn't belong, he deserves his spot in the organization.

That being said there are a number of goalies that you may consider over Esche, but he's working himself upwards in the discussion.