HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The History of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Your Favourite Broadcaster (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=106865)

Jacques Plante 10-02-2004 09:51 PM

Your Favourite Broadcaster
 
This thread has probably been done a few times but I'm new here and I've taken it upon myself to keep this History board somewhat lively. :)

Now keep in mind the question is Favourite broadcaster, not neccesarily the best.

Tell us why he's your favourite. Perhaps he was the guy when you 1st began floowing hockey, or was he just your teams guy. Whatever the reasons share your stories here.

I guess mine would be Dino Sisto. He was the Montreal Canadiens play-by-play man from roughly 95 until this year, when he was mysteriously fired. He's probably the man I've heared call the most games in my life. (certaily in English). When I was younger living in Montreal, I would put my TV on mute and listen to his radio broadcast. His knowledge always impressed me. His delivery was good but not at a Danny Gallivan level. Still I grew up on him, so that's why he's my guy.

jiggs 10 10-04-2004 02:59 PM

Howie Meeker!

Golly gee-whiz!

Made Harry Neale look like a 7 year-old.

Dan Kelly.
Dave Hodge.
Danny Gallivan.

None of the "new" generation of hockey broadcasters is much good, except for Kelly Hrudey. I think he's fun without being TOO much of a kissa**, nor too hard on the players.

Darrin Pang is BY FAR the most enthusiastic announcer on the airwaves today. Doesn't this guy EVER have a bad day?

Flyers26 10-05-2004 08:13 AM

Gene hart Flyers play-by play man. He did everything from memory, no notes. Great delivery, and was as he was called, "THE VOICE of the Flyers".
His daughter now sings the National Anthem for all home games, as she "carries on the voice".

John Flyers Fan 10-05-2004 09:36 AM

For play-by-play I'd list

Gene Hart, Mike Emrick, and Dan Kelly at the top of the list.

Chili 10-05-2004 12:04 PM

Mike Lange was one of main the reasons I started following the Pens, many moons ago.

Others I've enjoyed over the years, Foster Hewitt, Danny Gallivan, Rene Lecavalier, Dan Kelly, Chuck Kaiton, Dean Brown, Mike Emrick.

SPV 10-05-2004 12:23 PM

My favorite broadcaster was Fred Cusick. He called the Bruins for many years, and I believe he calls the Lowell Lock Monsters now (although I rarely see them on TV).

mr gib 10-08-2004 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thevat
My favorite broadcaster was Fred Cusick. He called the Bruins for many years, and I believe he calls the Lowell Lock Monsters now (although I rarely see them on TV).

jim hughson - canucks guy

Robert Paulson* 10-08-2004 04:01 PM

Mike Lange for the Penguins, really only because he's the one I grew up with, but I think others like him as well. Some of the best phrases I've ever heard, they are classic.

Reilly311 10-08-2004 04:49 PM

Mike Lange, however, I love the guy that does the Buffalo games.

BMC 10-08-2004 05:36 PM

Fred Cusick will always be The Man for me :bow:

alexk65 10-08-2004 08:46 PM

Mike Lange cause his sayings never get old.

ehc73 10-08-2004 11:18 PM

Jim Robson. He did PBP for the Canucks before retiring. One of the reasons I got hooked on Canucks hockey.

sharkyz15 10-14-2004 12:21 AM

Mike Emrick is the best play by play guy in all of hockey period

I love the columbus blue jacket broadcasters that did the US Canada pre WC tournament game



The best broadcast team in my honest opinion is Randy Hawn and Drew Ramenda


they work great together

Ramenda breaks down the game as well as anyone

not to many guys scrutanize players for defensive lapses like him

"head on a swival" "Get your man" "5 men all looking at the puck"

and the thing about him is that 95% of the time he gives a tough time on sharks players


But best of all

When Ramenda gets pissed at the REFS :yo:

GaryU 10-14-2004 10:12 AM

Lloyd Pettit years ago got me to listen (& watch) to the Blackhawks. Pat Foley since the 80's. He was especially good when Dale Tallon was the color guy.

mcphee 10-15-2004 09:39 AM

Danny Gallivan. If you're not old enough to have heard him, get some tapes. He introduced new language to the game without calling attention to himself. He was classy, articulate and brought his passion to the broadcast. He introduced, cannonading,scintillating,spinerama,paraphenalia and whirling dervish into every anglo Mtl. kid's vocabulary in the 60's. He referred to Pete Mahovlich as Peter the Younger. He never took himself too seriously and frankly would have been embarassed by today's radio guys who overdo it hoping to be on the next day's highlight package.

espo* 10-20-2004 10:50 AM

Danny Gallivan easily without even having to think one second about it.No one called a better hockey game then him,he could make a nothing game between the california golden seals and kansas city scouts sound like it was the Canadians and Soviets playing in the summit series,he was that good.Classic "hockey voice" with that perfect blend of high drama at just the right times while never overdoing "beat him like a rented mule' football style announcing crap where everyone is amazing and so and so is "such a great man" b.s. He was the best,hockey has'nt been the same since he's been gone.Dan Kelly was also great,second to Gallivan.Foster Hewwitt i never grew up with but i have heard games he's called and he was outstanding also.The best always have that hockey calling voice that mixes seriousness with drama.They build up like a well constructed opera.Cole is now over the hill and makes lots of mistakes,the only thing that saves him is that he also has the "hockey voice"He was also very good in his prime.

espo* 10-20-2004 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcphee
Danny Gallivan. If you're not old enough to have heard him, get some tapes. He introduced new language to the game without calling attention to himself. He was classy, articulate and brought his passion to the broadcast. He introduced, cannonading,scintillating,spinerama,paraphenalia and whirling dervish into every anglo Mtl. kid's vocabulary in the 60's. He referred to Pete Mahovlich as Peter the Younger. He never took himself too seriously and frankly would have been embarassed by today's radio guys who overdo it hoping to be on the next day's highlight package.

I could'nt agree more.you just nailed the essence of Gallivan in this post,so well put.We grew up with the guy in Nova Scotia just like anyone in Montreal,he was the voice of hockey night in Canada down home.All that stuff you talk about is so true.The greatest.By the way,he was from Nova Scotia too!!!Right on Danny Boy!

jiggs 10 10-20-2004 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyclops
Danny Gallivan easily without even having to think one second about it.No one called a better hockey game then him,he could make a nothing game between the california golden seals and kansas city scouts sound like it was the Canadians and Soviets playing in the summit series,he was that good.Classic "hockey voice" with that perfect blend of high drama at just the right times while never overdoing "beat him like a rented mule' football style announcing crap where everyone is amazing and so and so is "such a great man" b.s. He was the best,hockey has'nt been the same since he's been gone.Dan Kelly was also great,second to Gallivan.Foster Hewwitt i never grew up with but i have heard games he's called and he was outstanding also.The best always have that hockey calling voice that mixes seriousness with drama.They build up like a well constructed opera.Cole is now over the hill and makes lots of mistakes,the only thing that saves him is that he also has the "hockey voice"He was also very good in his prime.

Yup, grew up listening to Danny Gallivan on Saturday nights on HNiC. There's something about the old-time announcers from Canada...they don't feel they have to hype things so much. They let the GAME be the important thing, not THEM, and that's cool!

I liked Dan Kelly, too, for many of the same reasons.

Stefferdoos 11-19-2004 02:25 PM

LEAST Favorite
 
Jeremy Roenick - whoever decided this was a good idea for the WC should be fired

Favorite - Mike Emrick

c-carp 11-19-2004 03:31 PM

Of all time mine would be Dan Kelly. he taught most of us who are my age and are Blues fans a lot about the game and he is a legend in Canada as well, I still miss him.

Today I like Mike Lange or Rick Jeanerette. It should be manditory that Jeanerette call every single NHL fight. Man does he get jacked up, I love it.

Bring Back Bucky 11-19-2004 07:56 PM

Danny Gallivan- just thinking about him I can hear the genuine excitement in his voice.. Takes a fellow back a long way. That's when you used to get that feeling in the pit of your stomach when the HNIC anthem started. Jeez, I miss that feeling......

Bob Cole: Bob you have had a nice career. Now Please, Please retire.....

Youreallygotme 11-19-2004 08:09 PM

Chris Cuthbert. Man I've been watching hockey since I think 99' and his voice is like a fixture on Hockey Night IN Canada. He's great at every aspect, without being biased at all. He's soooo much better than Bob Cole. I think he should be the main broadcaster who does the Finals and everything.

acr* 11-19-2004 11:33 PM

I grew up with Fred Cusick and Derek Sanderson, everything else is inferior compared to them

espo* 11-19-2004 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acr
I grew up with Fred Cusick and Derek Sanderson, everything else is inferior compared to them

Then you have to hear Gallivan man,he was out of this world.Still,it's hard for anyone to overtake the guy who was "the voice" when you were young,it's like the memories of Christmas when you were a kid eh? I'd like to hear this Cusick guy.I can almost picture it (without ever having heard him) in that classic New England accent "numbah fowah Bobby Owahhhhh" I betcha it was good.

espo* 11-19-2004 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nucks&flames
Chris Cuthbert. Man I've been watching hockey since I think 99' and his voice is like a fixture on Hockey Night IN Canada. He's great at every aspect, without being biased at all. He's soooo much better than Bob Cole. I think he should be the main broadcaster who does the Finals and everything.

Cuthbert is good,he's a real professional.It took a while for him to grow on me as he does'nt really have that classic "hockey voice" imo but over the years he's won me over with his genuine enthusiasm and non-stop intelligent fill of the action in the game no matter how boring the game being played,he's good.Don't worry,he'll be taking over for Bob very soon as he is ready to retire next season or the next after that.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:10 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.