HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Vancouver Canucks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Pre-Game Talk: Vancouver @ Boston: Who should start? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1069659)

Rooooooooooxxxanne* 01-03-2012 01:23 PM

Vancouver @ Boston: Who should start?

Edit:

Who should start Saturday?

Personally I think you have to go with Luongo for Saturday, he's our #1, he's playing really well, and this will be a big statement game for him.

thepuckmonster 01-03-2012 01:26 PM

Just another regular season game, I doubt either team is going to try to rehash last June. Both teams want 2 points and to get a good seed in the POs. If Vancouver wins, its because we won when it didn't count, and if we lose we're chokers. No sense in putting too much value on this for redemption.

However, I will be there. So that's exciting.

Rooooooooooxxxanne* 01-03-2012 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thepuckmonster (Post 41838993)
Just another regular season game, I doubt either team is going to try to rehash last June. Both teams want 2 points and to get a good seed in the POs.

However, I will be there. So that's exciting.

You don't think this game has the potential to be detrimental to this team if we lose? Especially to Luongo (especially if we lose badly).

Canucker 01-03-2012 01:32 PM

I think its a big game but it's not a "measuring stick" game. The crowd will probably be more into it than the players. This isn't a great time for us to be playing the Bruins though, our PP has been pretty sad of late and its the one thing that can keep goonish teams like the Bruins honest.

mrmyheadhurts 01-03-2012 01:33 PM

I'm fine with this thread but let's not label it as pre-game talk, it will just be confusing.

As for the game, largely meaningless as far as I'm concerned. 2 points in the standings and little more. I think anyone expecting fireworks may be disappointed. The players will care and the fans will care but neither a win or a loss in a January game will have much long term meaning.

Zombotron 01-03-2012 01:33 PM

I feel that it's absolutely a marquee game and one that fans should be marking their calendars for. Having said that, though, there aren't any real implications here. It's just a match-up between two conference powerhouses.

I would say that the potential for it to be a season-defining game is there. There's definitely potential for the team to make some kind of statement. Don't count on it, though.

thepuckmonster 01-03-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henrik2Daniel (Post 41839065)
You don't think this game has the potential to be detrimental to this team if we lose? Especially to Luongo (especially if we lose badly).

I doubt Luongo's going to get the start, something in Boston hates him and that fine. Just like Vancouver and Rinne aren't good. I'll be AV starts Schneider since it's his hometown and it's only a regular season game.

We lost to San Jose last night, was it that detrimental? After all, there's a good chance we meet them again in the WCF.

Slippery slope fallacy. If they lose, they lose. It's one game. Even if it is a preview of next June, that's 6 months away.

thepuckmonster 01-03-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombotron (Post 41839259)
I feel that it's absolutely a marquee game and one that fans should be marking their calendars for. Having said that, though, there aren't any real implications here. It's just a match-up between two conference powerhouses.

Eheheheheh avatar.

Rooooooooooxxxanne* 01-03-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thepuckmonster (Post 41839271)
I doubt Luongo's going to get the start, something in Boston hates him and that fine. Just like Vancouver and Rinne aren't good. I'll be AV starts Schneider since it's his hometown and it's only a regular season game.

We lost to San Jose last night, was it that detrimental? After all, there's a good chance we meet them again in the WCF.

Slippery slope fallacy. If they lose, they lose. It's one game. Even if it is a preview of next June, that's 6 months away.

Really? I honestly would be surprised if they go with Schneider.

dave babych returns 01-03-2012 01:43 PM

I would think the Canucks season will be defined by how it ends.

Bleach Clean 01-03-2012 01:44 PM

Not in the least season defining. Imagine how much the nux players would have to be mental midgets for this game to affect them beyond it. They are professionals. It will be forgotten fast, win or lose.

It really doesn't change anything. The B's will still have the cup even if they get shellacked 10-0 and Luongo makes saves standing on his head. But I know it will affect some of the posters here. The players, not so much. It's 2 points.

Canucker 01-03-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave babych returns (Post 41839711)
I would think the Canucks season will be defined by how it ends.

defined by who?

thepuckmonster 01-03-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henrik2Daniel (Post 41839485)
Really? I honestly would be surprised if they go with Schneider.

Starting Luongo when any other team would allow the 'home-town' goalie to play makes AV look like he's got too much to prove.

Lu doesn't have to prove ****, and giving the media something to feast on would be a bad idea. Schneider's been good, Lu's played a lot lately. Schuu's parents and family will be there, I'd think it was a dick move to not let him start on a regular season game.

Mr. Canucklehead 01-03-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henrik2Daniel (Post 41839065)

Did the Canucks' 7-1 loss to the Blackhawks last year serve as a detrimental moment? On the contrary, the Canucks launched into the stratosphere after that loss.

Getting the two points is important. There will be some emotional charge to the game, and I think both teams will have some jump, but ultimately, they're both vying for the two points.

With that said, if the score gets lopsided, I could see some of that bad blood coming back.

But to answer the question - no, I do not think it is a season defining game.

keslerburrows 01-03-2012 01:52 PM

Defining? No. It definitely is a HUGE game though..

DL44 01-03-2012 01:52 PM

Boston will be Boston... Vancouver will be Vancouver... and the Refs will be regular-season-mode refs... i.e. Boston will be tagged for everything that crosses the line.

It will be up to our PP to win this game.

If the LA game was the pre-cursor, then Boston will take their shots... Van will scrum it in retaliation, the refs will actually call penalties, and Van takes their shot on the PP.

Our PP is cold. This is massive trouble going into this game... and will be cause of massive frustration to us fans watching... since it will virtually mean "Boston got away with it again"...

Still looking forward to the game, hoping for the 2 pts... but its hardly season defining, since we pretty much know how the season is unfolding for this team already...

Horse 01-03-2012 01:53 PM

I don't care, if they win I'm just going to be pissed they didn't do that in June, and if they lose, I'll just be mad that they missed out on another 2 points.
I find this game somewhat of an annoyance to be honest since I've been pretending that Boston doesn't exist for most of this season and just ignoring them. When we play them it makes it harder to do do that.....
I assumed Schneider would get the start too. I think good goalies normally get the start in their hometown in the regular season?

dave babych returns 01-03-2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canucker (Post 41839765)
defined by who?

Me. :)

Although I wouldn't think it would vary all that much - for anyone following this team, if/when/how they lose their last game is going to be the major factor in how the 2011-12 Canucks are thought of.

Canucker 01-03-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave babych returns (Post 41840229)

Although I wouldn't think it would vary all that much - for anyone following this team, if/when/how they lose their last game is going to be the major factor in how the 2011-12 Canucks are thought of.

True. :laugh:

arsmaster 01-03-2012 02:08 PM

I'll be so pissed if we are able to score more than 2 goals against Thomas.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan 01-03-2012 02:12 PM

I can't believe this game isn't on national tv

Samzilla 01-03-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arsmaster (Post 41840801)
I'll be so pissed if we are able to score more than 2 goals against Thomas.

Looking backwards, yes. Looking forward, that's a good thing.

arsmaster 01-03-2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombotron (Post 41839259)

I would say that the potential for it to be a season-defining game is there. There's definitely potential for the team to make some kind of statement. Don't count on it, though.

A marquee game not broadcast nationally in either country, and is being played @ 10:00am PST.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan (Post 41840955)
I can't believe this game isn't on national tv

Can someone tell me why the NHL shouldn't be considered a "bush league" again?

It is pure stupidity that this once a year game not be brought to the forefront of every hockey fan in the world.

arsmaster 01-03-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samzilla (Post 41841083)
Looking backwards, yes. Looking forward, that's a good thing.

Tell me you wouldn't be pissed off, if they were able to fire 4 or 5 past him when it doesn't really matter.

It would open up HUGE wounds in my fragile state.

It would also add fuel to the "sedin's cant win when it matters" crowd.

mrmyheadhurts 01-03-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave babych returns (Post 41840229)

Even though that's a slight against our fickle fans, there's a lot of truth in that actually. Look at how the Canucks were viewed and still are viewed by many outside fans because of how the last game against the Bruins went. You would think the Canucks are a lottery team the way they are discussed and disrespected. You just watch, when playoff time comes around everyone will pick the Canucks as first round fodder and all the arguments will be based on game 7 of the finals.

It still amazes me that a team decimated by injuries, that pushes a finals to 7 games, gets so easily dismissed by the hockey community and has their accomplishments tossed out the window.