HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   San Jose Sharks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Recalled/Assigned: 1/5 Wingells recalled; White to IR (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1071571)

LadyStanley 01-05-2012 12:25 PM

1/5 Wingells recalled; White to IR
 
brodiebrazilCSN 10:20am via Twitter for iPhone Tommy Wingels recalled from @WorcesterSharks to #SJSharks


http://t.co/6N9mmZAu
Announcement from Sharks - White to IR (roster move to accommodate recall)

Gilligans Island 01-05-2012 02:05 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if this was to replace Mitchell (instead of Ferreiro). Mitchell has had plenty of time to show some offense yet he hasn't.

stalockrox 01-05-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilligans Island (Post 41952959)
I wouldn't be surprised if this was to replace Mitchell (instead of Ferreiro). Mitchell has had plenty of time to show some offense yet he hasn't.

I would think it'll be Mitchell or A. Murray, hopefully Mitchell - put Wingels on Handzus' wing with McGinn.

I really, really like the 4th line and hope McLellan keeps them together.

SJeasy 01-05-2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilligans Island (Post 41952959)
I wouldn't be surprised if this was to replace Mitchell (instead of Ferreiro). Mitchell has had plenty of time to show some offense yet he hasn't.

Check the TOI for the Anaheim game. It was telling. Mitchell and TOM got it in the neck. It appears that TM is sifting through the relative contributions of the players on the lower lines.

My latest rating for the lower line guys on the 1-12 system is Handzus and McGinn at #8, Mitchell and Desjardins at #11, Winchester at #10 and Murray at #13.

TM also sliced and diced Ferriero once the Sharks had the lead.

Led Zappa 01-05-2012 02:19 PM

Not sure how many caught it last night, but Todd said the 4th line may become the 3rd line and (paraphrasing) some players who didn't show up last night should be worried.

Gilligans Island 01-05-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJeasy (Post 41953405)
Check the TOI for the Anaheim game. It was telling. Mitchell and TOM got it in the neck. It appears that TM is sifting through the relative contributions of the players on the lower lines.

My latest rating for the lower line guys on the 1-12 system is Handzus and McGinn at #8, Mitchell and Desjardins at #11, Winchester at #10 and Murray at #13.

Yeah, I noticed the TOI for yesterday's game. Not sure why TOM is getting singled out. He, Desjardins and Wincester are probably our best 4th line in years.

It's really Mitchell that throws off the 3rd line and needs to be replaced as many of us have discussed all season.

Inub0i 01-05-2012 02:22 PM

I am confuzzled by this move. Who's getting replaced? I hope it isn't TOM.

SJeasy 01-05-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilligans Island (Post 41953745)
Yeah, I noticed the TOI for yesterday's game. Not sure why TOM is getting singled out. He, Desjardins and Wincester are probably our best 4th line in years.

It's really Mitchell that throws off the 3rd line and needs to be replaced as many of us have discussed all season.

IMO, TOM is the Mitchell of the 4th line. Every once in a while he generates a turnover, but doesn't do much beyond that. If it was even one turnover per game, I would rate him higher. I agree that Winchester/Desjardins is the core of a quality 4th line.

TheJuxtaposer 01-05-2012 02:28 PM

TOM has been good. I rarely if ever catch him doing anything wrong and he gets his chances. I really hope it's Mitchell.

Gilligans Island 01-05-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJeasy (Post 41954021)
IMO, TOM is the Mitchell of the 4th line. Every once in a while he generates a turnover, but doesn't do much beyond that. If it was even one turnover per game, I would rate him higher. I agree that Winchester/Desjardins is the core of a quality 4th line.

He may be but it's not a major issue and since the expectations of the 3rd line outweigh those of the 4th line, Mitchell is a bigger issue.

(Ferriero is a temporary issue until Havlat comes back. I did notice that Benny was benched for the most part and somewhat deservedly so. He is weak on the puck in the d-zone.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Led Zappa (Post 41953699)
Not sure how many caught it last night, but Todd said the 4th line may become the 3rd line and (paraphrasing) some players who didn't show up last night should be worried.

I did notice that but it has to be temporary until we resolve the 3rd line issue with a trade. If the 4th line starts playing in a 3rd line role, their productivity would take a hit, I think.

Led Zappa 01-05-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilligans Island (Post 41954595)
I did notice that but it has to be temporary until we resolve the 3rd line issue with a trade. If the 4th line starts playing in a 3rd line role, their productivity would take a hit, I think.

Yeah, that would be ****ed up if it were permanent solution lol.

SensSharksGirl* 01-05-2012 02:57 PM

Interesting that Tommy Wingells is in the lineup this time around, looking forward to see how Wingells will do in the Sharks side. :D

LadyStanley 01-05-2012 03:24 PM

TOM is also a former CBJ, so he might not be the guy in the press box.

hateseed 01-05-2012 03:34 PM

McGinn is gonna play with Winchester-Desi tonight on the third line again...

Don't be shocked to see a Murray-Zues-Wingels 4th line.

Linkster 01-05-2012 04:10 PM

Agreeing with most posters here - the Wingels move is partly to deal with Mitchell. But more generally I think it's a kick-in-the-pants to all of the bottom-6 who should, at this point in the season, be carrying a bigger slice of the night-on-night burden. Expect to see a lot of Winchester-Desjardins-McGinn in the 1st period at least.

As a 24-year-old RFA, I think Ferriero still has 6 weeks to play himself into a better contract tier. This is his golden opportunity.

irregardless 01-05-2012 04:13 PM

I'd like to see Wingels in place of Mitchell, but it's probably TOM getting replaced. He's on a two-way contract and he's always the one getting pushed out of the lineup for McLaren. Todd just doesn't seem too high on him.

Pinkfloyd 01-05-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spurious (Post 41959879)
I'd like to see Wingels in place of Mitchell, but it's probably TOM getting replaced. He's on a two-way contract and he's always the one getting pushed out of the lineup for McLaren. Todd just doesn't seem too high on him.

Well, it's easy to single out Murray because he doesn't contribute much. I don't think he's a detriment out there either but he simply hasn't brought much of anything to the table either. He doesn't produce points, doesn't force turnovers, and doesn't block shots. The early experiment with him and Mitchell killing penalties was a travesty and he's never recovered from that even though most of that was on Torrey Mitchell. However, his contract compared to Torrey's is why he doesn't get the same leash that Torrey does.

Andrew Murray is a competent penalty killer and the coaching staff didn't do him any favors in that regard. If he's not helping out there, he's not helping the team much at all. I don't think going to Wingels is much of a solution either but obviously they want to try something.

The Sharks will need that tweener 2nd/3rd liner but they will probably also need to pick up a 4th line PK'er as well at this point since Murray isn't working out like they wanted. Luckily, plenty of those are available. Jay McClement would be a good acquisition for the Sharks for instance.

Gilligans Island 01-05-2012 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linkster (Post 41959677)
Agreeing with most posters here - the Wingels move is partly to deal with Mitchell. But more generally I think it's a kick-in-the-pants to all of the bottom-6 who should, at this point in the season, be carrying a bigger slice of the night-on-night burden. Expect to see a lot of Winchester-Desjardins-McGinn in the 1st period at least.

As a 24-year-old RFA, I think Ferriero still has 6 weeks to play himself into a better contract tier. This is his golden opportunity.

I think McGinn and Winchester are exempted for the most part. Handzus is borderline - he isn't really producing and it's clear he's one of the slowest out there but he should be given some credit for McGinn's play. Desjardins is fine but nothing outstanding.

That statement should really be directed at Mitchell (lack of production, so-so PK) and TOM (nothing special and zero PK).

hockeyball 01-05-2012 04:37 PM

It's also possible someone needs to be pulled out of the lineup because either a trade is impending, Wingels needs to be showcased, or simply someone is hurt and we don't know it :P

Led Zappa 01-05-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyball (Post 41961097)
It's also possible someone needs to be pulled out of the lineup because either a trade is impending, Wingels needs to be showcased, or simply someone is hurt and we don't know it :P

Except that Todd called them out publicly last night :)

LadyStanley 01-05-2012 04:51 PM

CurtGogol13 1:48pm via Twitter for iPhone Congrats to my roommate @Tommy_Wingels for getting called up! Don't be afraid to come back down, the fridge is empty...




chirp, chirp

WTFetus 01-05-2012 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Led Zappa (Post 41961263)
Except that Todd called them out publicly last night :)

Which is a bit weird because it's not like Mitchell and Murray played any worse than other nights. Despite the low ice-time, I thought that was one of Mitchell's best games lately. Doesn't say much, but still.

Chubbs 01-05-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WTFetus (Post 41962089)
Which is a bit weird because it's not like Mitchell and Murray played any worse than other nights. Despite the low ice-time, I thought that was one of Mitchell's best games lately. Doesn't say much, but still.

So Mitchell looks his best when he barely plays at all. :laugh:

irregardless 01-05-2012 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chubbs (Post 41963321)
So Mitchell looks his best when he barely plays at all. :laugh:

Max of two minutes per game, all during Taco Time.

Les Wynan* 01-05-2012 05:37 PM

The bottom six as a whole isn't the issue. The Sharks' fourth line has easily been one of the best fourth lines in the NHL this season; only the Caps and Red Wings fourth lines have been substantially better.

The issue is the third line and it all comes down to Michal Handzus. He's been worthless on this team. He's the worst regular penalty killer and his even strength play is completely mediocre. He bleeds shots against when he's on the ice despite facing opposing teams' nobodies. It's not even surprising that this is happening; Handzus is not a guy you want centering a depth scoring line. He's a guy you want on your team if you intend on using him strictly in a defensive role at even strength that gives your best players the opportunity to concentrate on offense while facing easier competition and starting more shifts in the offensive zone. McLellan doesn't run his bench that way and never has which makes the Handzus signing that much more mind-boggling.

As long as Doug Wilson doesn't find a player who can fill that role effectively and demote Handzus to the fourth line (although I'm not even sure he's been a better option than Desjardins this season) this team won't be able to compete with Detroit, Chicago or Vancouver in a playoff series.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.