HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   WGR Ruff ready to ramp up Miller (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1071647)

Sabretip 01-05-2012 01:48 PM

Ruff ready to ramp up Miller

Quote:

"I haven't got a set rotation now. My main focus has been to have both goaltenders contribute. I really want to get Ryan going. If he's feeling comfortable, playing well and not tired, I'm going to try to play him a little more and see if that helps him. Obviously Jhonas (Enroth), before last game, went through a real tough stretch too. It was good to see that both guys can help us put points on the board. Really my main focus, and I know we've got a lot of hockey coming up here, would be to try to get Ryan on a run and let him run with it."
http://wgr550.com/Ruff-Ready-to-Ramp-Up-Miller/11915774

Here we go again....

:facepalm:

struckbyaparkedcar 01-05-2012 01:49 PM

:loony: :facepalm:

sba 01-05-2012 01:49 PM

"Yep, I still don't know how to manage goalies!" - Lindy Ruff

CrazyPsycho 01-05-2012 01:52 PM

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no

Sabretip 01-05-2012 01:54 PM

Anyone else get the sense that Ruff's favorite movie is "Groundhog Day"? :sarcasm:

sabresfan129103 01-05-2012 01:56 PM

neither guy has been that great. TBH I don't even know what a good answer is here.

DixonWard15 01-05-2012 01:57 PM

is anyone really surprised by this? Miller is the franchise and Ruff believes in him more than any other player so he will ride Miller until the wheels come off.

Myllz 01-05-2012 02:01 PM

Let's guess as to when Enroth's next game will be.

I'll say 2/10 against Dallas.

slip 01-05-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DixonWard15 (Post 41952489)
is anyone really surprised by this? Miller is the franchise and Ruff believes in him more than any other player so he will ride Miller until the wheels come off.

This about sums it up.

Zip15 01-05-2012 02:02 PM

Look at Enroth's numbers in his last two starts in Raleigh. Then look at the schedule and see a back-to-back on Friday and Saturday. Then look at the standings and see that Saturday's game is against a team you're in direct competition with for a playoff spot, so you could have a rested Miller for that more important game.

Then look at Lindy Ruff being an obstinent a-hole.

brian_griffin 01-05-2012 02:05 PM

Fixed...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruff on WGR550
"I haven't got a set rotation now. My main focus has been to have both goaltenders contribute. I really want to get Ryan going. If he's feeling comfortable, playing well and not tired, I'm going to try to play him a little more and see if that helps him. Obviously Marty (Biron), before last game, went through a real tough stretch too. It was good to see that both guys can help us put points on the board. Really my main focus, and I know we've got a lot of hockey coming up here, would be to try to get Ryan on a run and let him run with it."

January 2006 & January 2007

Quote:

"I haven't got a set rotation now. My main focus has been to have both goaltenders contribute. I really want to get Ryan going. If he's feeling comfortable, playing well and not tired, I'm going to try to play him a little more and see if that helps him. Obviously Jocelyn (Thibault), before last game, went through a real tough stretch too. It was good to see that both guys can help us put points on the board. Really my main focus, and I know we've got a lot of hockey coming up here, would be to try to get Ryan on a run and let him run with it."

January 2008

Quote:

"I haven't got a set rotation now. My main focus has been to have both goaltenders contribute. I really want to get Ryan going. If he's feeling comfortable, playing well and not tired, I'm going to try to play him a little more and see if that helps him. Obviously Patty (Lalime), before last game, went through a real tough stretch too. It was good to see that both guys can help us put points on the board. Really my main focus, and I know we've got a lot of hockey coming up here, would be to try to get Ryan on a run and let him run with it."

January 2009 & January 2010

Quote:

"I haven't got a set rotation now. My main focus has been to have both goaltenders contribute. I really want to get Ryan going. If he's feeling comfortable, playing well and not tired, I'm going to try to play him a little more and see if that helps him. Obviously Jhonas (Enroth), before last game, went through a real tough stretch too. It was good to see that both guys can help us put points on the board. Really my main focus, and I know we've got a lot of hockey coming up here, would be to try to get Ryan on a run and let him run with it."

January 2011

Quote:

"I haven't got a set rotation now. My main focus has been to have both goaltenders contribute. I really want to get Ryan going. If he's feeling comfortable, playing well and not tired, I'm going to try to play him a little more and see if that helps him. Obviously both Jhonas (Enroth) and Ryan, before last game, went through a real tough stretch too. It was good to see that both guys can help us put points on the board. Really my main focus, and I know we've got a lot of hockey coming up here, would be to try to trade Ryan, and let Jonas Hiller run with it."

January 2012

Sabretip 01-05-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Yup - the same formula that's worked so well for the Sabres for the past 5 years.

But, hey, why not try it again? Burning out Miller to make the playoffs, only to become roadkill in the 1st round, at least puts an end to the media questions about who's starting from game to game, right?. :sarcasm:

SackTastic 01-05-2012 02:17 PM

What do you guys want?

- The Sabres to make the playoffs and have a chance.

OR

- The Sabres miss the playoffs and have a rested goaltender.

No matter what Ruff does here, people are going to complain about it.

brian_griffin 01-05-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beechsack (Post 41953639)
What do you guys want?

OR

I want:
-the Sabres to play better team defense so that both goalies have a better shot at winning whenever they play.
-Enroth to close his 5-hole better.
-Miller to protect the high corners better.

Zip15 01-05-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

What do you guys want?

OR

I want Ruff to use the backup goaltender who has played well when he hasn't had to string together several starts in a row, especially when we're playing back-to-backs. I want Ruff to look at things like how players have performed against certain teams and in certain buildings.

At RBC Center:

Miller: 3-1-4, 3.15 GAA, .900
Enroth: 2-0-0, 0.49 GAA, .986

Neither is a significant sample size, but that's what you have to work with. Who knows why Carolina has struggled in two games against Enroth. Maybe Jhonas sees the puck well in that building. Maybe Carolina struggles with his unconventional style. Whatever it is, it's worked in two starts, so stick with it. Heading into a back-to-back, why not ride Enroth's white hot play in that building and then come back with a rested Miller against Winnipeg? Makes sense to me.

SackTastic 01-05-2012 02:41 PM

Past performance does not guarantee future results. Just because a particular player has performed well in the past in a given building in the past doesn't mean that player will continue to do so.

The book is out on Enroth. He played well against Ottawa, but didn't get the win. I'd like to say he deserved it, but nobody gives Miller the same consideration when the team doesn't show up for him, so I'm not going to now.

This hockey team is playing like trash right now. Neither goalie can stop this slide on his own, so Ruff is betting that the one with the larger body of work is going to give him the best chance to win games. I have no problem with that.

Zip15 01-05-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beechsack (Post 41954857)
Past performance does not guarantee future results. Just because a particular player has performed well in the past in a given building in the past doesn't mean that player will continue to do so.

I agree with all that. At the same time, why not say to Carolina that we're going to play him against you until you can beat him, at least in the regular season? Maybe he's in their head a little bit. But he's succeeded there, and I'm a firm believer in playing certain matchups when you have them, especially when it makes sense in a back-to-back context.

Look, it's a back-to-back. Most every team now plays both goaltenders in their back-to-backs, especially when they have a strong backup, which Enroth is.

static80 01-05-2012 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabretip (Post 41952353)
Anyone else get the sense that Ruff's favorite movie is "Groundhog Day"? :sarcasm:

It actually is. No lie, he was at one of the Buffalo awards dinners in the past couple of years and stated so.......:laugh:

SackTastic 01-05-2012 02:53 PM

If Miller starts every beck to back from here on out, I think it's dumb, and Ruff should rightly be criticized.

Until that happens, this is just a tempest in a teapot, and premptive Lindy bashing. Lindy is saying he wants to get Miller going. He's that franchise goalie. That's what he SHOULD be doing. If Enroth is stapled to the pine for 15 games, then people should be jumping on Ruff. Not now.

drinking bleach irl 01-05-2012 02:56 PM

Neither goalie deserves the coach's confidence as per their play this season.

Kyndig86 01-05-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brian_griffin (Post 41954039)
I want:
-the Sabres to play better team defense so that both goalies have a better shot at winning whenever they play.
-Enroth to close his 5-hole better.
-Miller to protect the high corners better.

This. Really bad turnovers in their own zone and on top of that both goalies always letting in softies.

I wouldn't mind seeing Miller traded personally hes being paid nearly 5x that of Enroth to show hes no better than him, if not worse this year. Its gotten to the point where I joke around because Miller hasn't let in at least 3 goals yet in a game.

Buffaloed 01-05-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Makes sense to me. The Sabres can't do any damage in the playoffs if they don't get there and I don't see it happening unless they get Miller going. He's only played in 23 of the first 39 games. Fatigue should be a non-factor at this point.

SackTastic 01-05-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Ellis Problems (Post 41955593)
Neither goalie deserves the coach's confidence as per their play this season.

This sums things up better than I did.

Ruckus007 01-05-2012 03:03 PM

Quote:

What do you guys want?

OR

Those aren't the only options. Playing Miller 3 out of every 4, which is what most of us want/wanted anyway, could get you in the playoffs with a non-exhausted goalie. And there are other options beyond that, too.

Kyndig86 01-05-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beechsack (Post 41954857)

The book is out on Enroth. He played well against Ottawa, but didn't get the win. I'd like to say he deserved it, but nobody gives Miller the same consideration when the team doesn't show up for him, so I'm not going to now.

This hockey team is playing like trash right now. Neither goalie can stop this slide on his own, so Ruff is betting that the one with the larger body of work is going to give him the best chance to win games. I have no problem with that.

You do realize he made 44 saves on 46 shots right? If that was Miller most people would probably say "See that's why hes our starter."