HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   WGR Anyone listening to this? re: Burke/Regier (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1071729)

rabi 01-05-2012 04:14 PM

Anyone listening to this? re: Burke/Regier

Aren't they playing and taking about BUrke's comments about Regier from at least a year ago and passing it off as if it happened recently?

puckish66 01-05-2012 04:21 PM

It's only about a month old.

Chainshot 01-05-2012 04:25 PM

Similar thread from when it happened - http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=1053075

SackTastic 01-05-2012 04:28 PM

Not surprised they'd do that if it fits their narrative for the day.

Chainshot 01-05-2012 04:29 PM

How is it topical discussion when the video conversation they are going on about is a month old? Do these guys just not do any research? Pathetic.

WhoIsJimBob 01-05-2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainshot (Post 41957411)
How is it topical discussion when the video conversation they are going on about is a month old? Do these guys just not do any research? Pathetic.

Bulldog said someone tweeted the link at him last week when he was on vacation.....

The question I have are who are the other 9 GMs that Burke hasn't done a deal with? I wonder how many are highly respected GMs with SC rings that the WGR crew would take over Regier at the drop of a hat....

:sarcasm:

stokes84 01-05-2012 07:26 PM

Burke did say he has made one deal with Darcy. Does anyone know what it was? In the same interview he says that if you make a deal and you end up getting burned, you'll never make another deal with that GM. Maybe Darcy burned Burke and he's still bitter over it?

WhoIsJimBob 01-05-2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stokes84 (Post 41967021)
Burke did say he has made one deal with Darcy. Does anyone know what it was? In the same interview he says that if you make a deal and you end up getting burned, you'll never make another deal with that GM. Maybe Darcy burned Burke and he's still bitter over it?

Date February 4, 1998

Buffalo Sabres acquire Geoff Sanderson

Vancouver Canucks acquire Brad May & 1999 3rd round pick (#88-Jimmie Olvestad)

Daz28 01-05-2012 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Bob (Post 41968027)
Date February 4, 1998

Buffalo Sabres acquire Geoff Sanderson

Vancouver Canucks acquire Brad May & 1999 3rd round pick (#88-Jimmie Olvestad)

Haha. I can just hear Burke under-valuing Sanderson, "this guys been an All-Star, what's May done".

Mr Twinkie 01-05-2012 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stokes84 (Post 41967021)

Darcy also traded the draft pick for Dom Moore a couple years back

WhoIsJimBob 01-05-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Twinkie (Post 41968817)

I missed that one because the website had the Sabres and the Leafs in the wrong columns....

ShaPow 01-05-2012 08:02 PM

Burke made sure he had Brad May in Anaheim black when they won the Stanley Cup. He couldn't have felt that burned....May was always a gamer.

TehDoak 01-05-2012 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Twinkie (Post 41968817)

I don't know if Burke was the GM at that point.

Chainshot 01-05-2012 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TehDoak (Post 41969725)
I don't know if Burke was the GM at that point.

He took over in November of '08. That deal was at the deadline in March of '09.

Daz28 01-05-2012 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaPow (Post 41969637)
Burke made sure he had Brad May in Anaheim black when they won the Stanley Cup. He couldn't have felt that burned....May was always a gamer.

That 3rd rounder was a longshot, so Geoff for Brad plus a possible future AHL'er is a burn. Burkie is probably only mad cuz Darcy's gives everyone else a 2nd but him. lol

WhoIsJimBob 01-06-2012 08:53 AM

One thing that hurts Regier-Burke deals is that Burke loves to get guys he's had before and Regier doesn't have too many of those!

fightclubber25 01-06-2012 10:49 AM

all this coming from the guy who clearly only likes to trade with his buddies.. who cares what he says.

Afinogretzky 01-06-2012 11:29 AM

**** Burke. isn't he the same moron who said he'd only trade Schenn for 10 1st rounders? Talk about hypocrisy.

static80 01-06-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Afinogretzky (Post 42005315)
**** Burke. isn't he the same moron who said he'd only trade Schenn for 10 1st rounders? Talk about hypocrisy.

I would not write off what Brian Burke thinks. The guy has a great hockey mind.

You want proof, take a look at the Vancouver Canucks and Anaheim Ducks.
Both of those teams core players are a direct result of the work of Brian Burke.

And although it may seem that Anaheim has issues, the guy knows hockey talent, there is no denying this.

WhoIsJimBob 01-06-2012 01:30 PM

Burke is much more active on the trade market than Regier is. Is that just the way Regier is when it comes to managing his team or is that, in part, due to him driving too hard of a bargain with other GMs?

Since Burke took over the Leafs on 11/29/08, he has made 38 trades with 20 different teams [including the Moore for a 2nd deal with Regier]. Over 25% of those deals [10 out of 38] have been with his former team, the Anaheim Ducks. The next highest total is 3 trades each with TB & Chicago.

Over the same time frame, Regier has done only 10 trades, each with a different team.

Regier has done deals with 3 teams that Burke hasn't in that timeframe in NYI, St Louis, & Columbus.

There are 13 teams that Burke has done deals with that Regier hasn't in Anaheim, NJ, Nashville, Colorado, NYR, Philadelphia, Dallas, TB, LA, Washington, Pittsburgh, Carolina, and Minnesota.

Sabretip 01-14-2012 02:00 AM

Quote:

In so many words, Regier said it takes one to know one.

"I would make the same comment about Brian," he said. "When I go to him, I find him difficult to deal with. I think that I haven't been able to get some of his better players from him, and I guess that he hasn't been able to get some of our better players from us. And I'm okay with that."

Regier did add that the two are good friends, and that "Brian likes to be a little bit more out in the public than I do, that's where we differ."
http://wgr550.com/pages/11994526.php...tentId=9768490

dma0034 01-14-2012 02:49 AM

Didn't the trade for Clarke MacArthur happen under Burke's watch?

Edit: Nevermind that was to Altanta and from Atl to Tor.

WhoIsJimBob 01-14-2012 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabretip (Post 42450479)

When I heard that, it sounded a bit tongue in cheek and like a buddy busting the chops of another buddy.

static80 01-14-2012 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Bob (Post 42010019)
Burke is much more active on the trade market than Regier is. Is that just the way Regier is when it comes to managing his team or is that, in part, due to him driving too hard of a bargain with other GMs?

Since Burke took over the Leafs on 11/29/08, he has made 38 trades with 20 different teams [including the Moore for a 2nd deal with Regier]. Over 25% of those deals [10 out of 38] have been with his former team, the Anaheim Ducks. The next highest total is 3 trades each with TB & Chicago.

Over the same time frame, Regier has done only 10 trades, each with a different team.

Regier has done deals with 3 teams that Burke hasn't in that timeframe in NYI, St Louis, & Columbus.

There are 13 teams that Burke has done deals with that Regier hasn't in Anaheim, NJ, Nashville, Colorado, NYR, Philadelphia, Dallas, TB, LA, Washington, Pittsburgh, Carolina, and Minnesota.

And the most important fact to remember from all of this information is that Brian Burke has bettered his product on the ice through those trades.

It was a gutsy move to go get Phil Kessel at the price they did, and the organization suffered to some extent short term, but let's not kid ourselves. That trade is bearing fruit at a good pace now and with Burke still at the helm, still actively pursuing players I firmly believe we'll see a center that is around the same age as Kessel joining him soon to form a very powerful 1st scoring line.

Burke build the Canucks into the power house they are, same with the Ducks and right in the middle of their Cup run and now he'll do the same in Toronto.

Regier on the other hand just loves to stand pat and hope that the players he's collected, mainly through the draft by the way, click and are "just good enough" to make some noise.
Status Quo alive and kicking down at the FNC Sabres management offices.

ZZamboni 01-14-2012 10:21 AM

Hmmm ... 2008... Brian Burke ...

Just over 3 years ago he took over, and still no Stanley Cup? Wow he must suck just as much as Regier!

Next month, Regier will have an owner that gives him no financial guidelines, for a full calendar year. So in February of 2014, the Sabres should be doing well in the standings on their way to a solid playoff position.

In 11 months as the GM of an owner, who gives no financial guidelines, how many new faces has he brought in?
Now multiply that by 3 years, how many is that?

That's a lot of new faces that will hopefully help this team get closer and/or achieve the goal. The Stanley cup.

I am not anti or pro Regier, I just think it's fair to give Regier a semi- clean slate and see what he WILL do while the GM of this type of owner. Burke 3+ years finally showing results. Regier 11 months (under Pegula).
If Regier does little to nothing over the next 6-8 months, I'll first, be shocked, second, I'll want him replaced.
Just my O.

Edit... I'm not ignoring Regiers past. I'm just giving him more rope under a new owner. Afterall the owner is giving him limitless rope. Now it's the NHL's cap that's the limit, not an internal cap.