HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Dreger: Trade market is a powder keg, Garth Snow open for business, Leafs and Getzlaf (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1072605)

xECK29x 01-06-2012 11:58 AM

Trade market is a powder keg, Garth Snow open for business, Leafs and Getzlaf

Chris Botta talks the trade market with Dreger, some really interesting tidbits in this segment:

http://www.islanderspointblank.com/2...darren-dreger/

Mods feel free to close or move to the general forum but I believe this fits well here.

dave babych returns 01-06-2012 12:03 PM

Serious question, when's the last time Darren Dreger predicted anything with these kind of general forecasts?

I'm not saying he's never among the first to hear about trades, I just mean this whole "this team is shopping players," "that team is open for business" type of thing. Smacks of Eklund to me.

xECK29x 01-06-2012 12:06 PM

I know Eklund throws stuff out similar but you can not deny the connections Darren has not only with GMs and team staff but with the league.

I think it's fans expecting trades and talks to be more immediate that is getting people antsy. Major deals require major time to come about.

HSF 01-06-2012 12:09 PM

is it jsut me or is Dreger been just throwing a lot of random stuff out recently.

i always here the phrase "i heard Dreger on the radio say now

Qward 01-06-2012 12:12 PM

Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger 16 Dec

Told the Calgary Flames are out of the Turris hunt. Ottawa still has interest. Wpg isn't in. Toronto is in its freeze (lol)...
10:23 AM - 16 Dec 11 via Twitter for BlackBerry® · Details

Darren Dreger Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger 16 Dec

Things are heating up on the Kyle Turris trade front. Sources indicate a deal could come down today.

Just an example

mightyquack 01-06-2012 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HSF (Post 42009163)
is it jsut me or is Dreger been just throwing a lot of random stuff out recently.

He's a slightly more reliable Eklund, and it's very slight :laugh:

ORYX 01-06-2012 12:15 PM

What alot of posters don't understand is these guys simply report what they hear. If they're talking to a GM and that GM says he's listening to offers, and Dreger reports that, you always get guys who say he is just throwing **** at the wall, something will stick.

Well no, he's not predicting, he is giving the fans the updates as they come, in as little certainty as they come.

Even if he hears that X player for Y player is possible and it doesnt go through, we all just assume he was wrong or had misinformation, yet no ones sits back and says "well maybe the deal fell through, maybe thats what the gm or personnel told him, but that things didnt work out.

There is alot to be done to make a trade, and often these guys reporting are hearing about them not from the GM's themselves but agents, players, other team personnel etc. I'd say we as fans are a little critical to jump to criticism over a deal that is reported to be in the WORKS but doesnt work out.

joestevens29 01-06-2012 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HSF (Post 42009163)

Part of it is because he does blogs and twitter now. At least when he is throwing stuff out there you know that it's not complete BS.

HockeyGuruPitka 01-06-2012 12:21 PM

i wish heaven and earth didnt start with kessel and end with phaneuf or the leafs may have a chance at getting Getzlaf...

Nizdizzle 01-06-2012 12:21 PM

From what I listened to, the entire interview was speculation by Deger. No rumors.

CREW99AW 01-06-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xECK29x (Post 42008645)
Chris Botta talks the trade market with Dreger, some really interesting tidbits in this segment:

http://www.islanderspointblank.com/2...darren-dreger/

Mods feel free to close or move to the general forum but I believe this fits well here.

With four veteran d-men about to become ufas and Streit overworked,Snow better be working the phones.

I don't want to see the rookie De Haan joining Streit/Hamonic/MaDonald in next season's top 4.
I also don't want to have Snow signing some over the hill vet,to a top 4 role.

ponder 01-06-2012 12:36 PM

Summary:
- probably none of RPG will be moved mid-season, comments from Murray about them being available are likely to light a fire under their ass
- if one of RPG traded, he thinks it would likely be in the off-season
- if one is traded, he thinks Ryan would be more likely to be dealt than Getzlaf
- if Getzlaf is made available, it'll be a feeding frenzy, will take a major player/package to get him
- Botta asks if the Islanders have a shot at Getzlaf, Dregger doesn't seem to think they have the pieces to get Getzlaf or Ryan
- Says he think the Leafs would be one of the teams really willing to deal a tonne for Getz (or Ryan), mostly because Burke's a big trader, and because of his history with the Ducks/Murray/Getz/Ryan, but that it would take some serious pieces
- Thinks it'll be a busy trade deadline this year
- Says GMs are talking a lot in general about deals, just not quite pulling the trigger
- He thinks Snow is open for business, would obviously like to upgrade, but hasn't heard of him specifically shopping for a top 4 dman or top 6 forward right now

Through all of this he's pretty clear about not having any "inside info" that the rest of us don't have, he's just speculating. The only real inside info is that he hasn't specifically heard of Snow actively pursuing a top 6 forward/top 4 dman, everything else is just speculation on his part (based mostly on Murray's comments to the media that we've all heard, and his opinions on Burke).

It's not like he tries to pass off his speculation as insider info though, he's very clear about the fact that these are simply his opinions, he's not saying "my sources tell me xxx" like Eklund does. When Dreger says he hears something specifically, I believe him, he has legitimate connections and doesn't make wild claims. Of course many deals that are discussed fizzle and never end up happening, but I don't see Dreger as a B.S. artist, when he's just speculating (as he is here) he's up front about it.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan 01-06-2012 12:38 PM

Dreger is probably building up the hype for the Trade Deadline show on TSN :sarcasm:

sjshark91 01-06-2012 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan (Post 42010417)
Dreger is probably building up the hype for the Trade Deadline show on TSN :sarcasm:

Kinda sucked last year...

Richiebottles 01-06-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjshark91 (Post 42010521)

They were trading themselves and ordered pizza. It was a great day..... :rant:

dave babych returns 01-06-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ORYX (Post 42009359)
What alot of posters don't understand is these guys simply report what they hear. If they're talking to a GM and that GM says he's listening to offers, and Dreger reports that, you always get guys who say he is just throwing **** at the wall, something will stick.

I would agree in general, however as a Canucks fan I've noticed that Dreger talks about this organization a fair bit and is consistently off.

Apparently he's Dave Nonis' cousin so I don't know if he's got some kind of axe to grind but he does genuinely seem to be just throwing **** at the wall.. particularly since even Vancouver reporters don't seem to have any sources providing the kind of leaks Dreger claims to be hearing.

Sticky Fingers 01-06-2012 12:49 PM

Trade deadline hype comin up!

hdtrax 01-06-2012 12:52 PM

Dreger opens the paper in the morning, sees the latest rumour and then tweets/talks about it to ramp up interest for his segments during intermissions and SportsCentre. I don't see him as a reliable source (granted the Anaheim/Bob Murray comments about trying to light a fire under RPG's collective ***** seems astute).

It'd be something else if McKenzie or LeBrun said it. I trust them more.

joestevens29 01-06-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave babych returns (Post 42010619)
I would agree in general, however as a Canucks fan I've noticed that Dreger talks about this organization a fair bit and is consistently off.

Apparently he's Dave Nonis' cousin so I don't know if he's got some kind of axe to grind but he does genuinely seem to be just throwing **** at the wall.. particularly since even Vancouver reporters don't seem to have any sources providing the kind of leaks Dreger claims to be hearing.

Him working in Canada and Vancouver being one of the bigger markets probably has something to do with that.

phlocky 01-06-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjshark91 (Post 42010521)

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingAvtsin (Post 42010585)
They were trading themselves and ordered pizza. It was a great day..... :rant:

To be fair, last year most teams didn't wait until the last second to try and upgrade their team. Trades started a month before the deadlin and most were done before the last week before the deadline.

CreeksideStrangler 01-06-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mightyquack (Post 42009273)
He's a slightly more reliable Eklund, and it's very slight :laugh:

he's not a liar; if that is what you are getting at.

DG 01-06-2012 03:46 PM

Man, people love to hate on here for nothing...

Dreger is 100% fine. He has good sources. People take his general thoughts as "rumours" and then call him an idiot, even though the problem is their lack of reading comprehension or accepting what someone says he said as fact.

HockeyGuruPitka 01-06-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG (Post 42020177)

Dreger is 100% fine. He has good sources. People take his general thoughts as "rumours" and then call him an idiot, even though the problem is their lack of reading comprehension or accepting what someone says he said as fact.

People have no patience, they want FLASH. If hes not calling trades that arent happening then hes a useless tv personality. Guy is getting paid to talk, people expect him to be the go to insider when really hes just a TSN analyst. As soon as trade deadline hits people are on him like flies on ****

Nasty Nazem 01-06-2012 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG (Post 42020177)

I agree.

Also, I think Ryan will be the only to get traded. It's just far too hard to get centers like Getzlaf.

Naych_PHX 01-06-2012 05:04 PM

Dreger tweeted about Turris being moved "very soon" the day before he was.