HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Washington Capitals (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Speculation: 2011 Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part 4 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1073047)

usiel 01-06-2012 07:13 PM

2011 Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part 4

And it continues...

Previous thread for the gluttons...

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=1055735

Capitlols 01-06-2012 07:15 PM

@NBTW

Eakin is a future 3rd liner and a lot of teams would offer a higher 1st. I'd imagine Anaheim would want Johansson + Orlov + 1st if they wanted to rebuild.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz 01-06-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Appreci8 (Post 42030085)
@NBTW

Eakin is a future 3rd liner and a lot of teams would offer a higher 1st. I'd imagine Anaheim would want Johansson + Orlov + 1st if they wanted to rebuild.

Like I said, it all depends on how the Ducks view Johansson and Eakin.

I'd have thought many teams would beat LA's offer for Richards, but they apparently didn't.

Capitlols 01-06-2012 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz (Post 42030461)
Like I said, it all depends on how the Ducks view Johansson and Eakin.

I'd have thought many teams would beat LA's offer for Richards, but they apparently didn't.

Kind of tough to top: #1 prospect in hockey, young top 6 winger, and a second.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz 01-06-2012 07:49 PM

Wayne Simmonds isn't a top-6 winger. Wasn't in LA, isn't in Philly.

Richards also had a lot more value than Getzlaf will.

So, it was the #1 prospect in hockey, third line winger, 2nd.

I think that could have been easily beaten.

Mothra 01-06-2012 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz (Post 42032275)

Richards also had a lot more value than Getzlaf will.

So, it was the #1 prospect in hockey, third line winger, 2nd.

I think that could have been easily beaten.

worthy of note...LA did this to get another top center.

I am of the opinion that the Caps need to, and likely will, pick up another center before the playoffs. Certainly if they feel the team is playing well and they can make a go at it. Look throughout history....Cup winning teams almost always have 2 (or more) top centers. There are exceptions and different definitions of top center....but still, its not some freak thing that so many teams are strong down the middle.

I dont know who will be available....but do they do the somewhat minor Arnott type move or do they go after a proven player? My guess would be more a minor move at the deadline for an aging vet again.....Come summer though, I could see some major like move.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz 01-06-2012 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mothra (Post 42033763)

I am of the opinion that the Caps need to, and likely will, pick up another center before the playoffs. Certainly if they feel they team is playing well and they can make a go at it. Look throughout history....Cup winning teams almost always have 2 (or more) top centers. There are exceptions and different definitions of top center....but still, its not some freak thing that so many teams are strong down the middle.

I dont know who will be available....but do they do the somewhat minor Arnott type move or do they go after a proven player? My guess would be more a minor move at the deadline for a aging vet again.....Come summer though, I could see some major like move.

I certainly agree that they need another center before the playoffs. But Getzlaf will just take too much roster overall to make happen. Koivu make s a lot of sense as an Arnott-type pick up at a smaller salary (you'd only have to move Schultz to fit him). Beyond him, Stoll, Jokinen, Prospal, Gaustad, McClement, Nielsen, and a few others are pendign UFAs that could potentially be available. I think they'd all help the Caps for a run this season.

SimplySensational 01-06-2012 08:49 PM

I wonder how many people realize Getzlaf has higher penalty minutes than Semin.

Or is it that you guys think roughing up people he knows won't fight him are good penalties?

I hate how people think you need some tough guy or all trades are stupid.

Think about it.

Paul Statsny. Not doing so good, but is a good player, ripe for our taking. Oh yeah and hes good at faceoffs, aka a pretty good ****ing thing to look at in center don't you think?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz 01-06-2012 09:03 PM

Or, it could be, you know, that people want a big center that's been over a point-per-game player for the last 4 seasons and has been an excellent playoff performer. Might be that.

I guess you could be right. Maybe people want the roughing penalties.

txpd 01-06-2012 09:35 PM

i think there are many that want a player with more bite than the current roster tends toward. there are many that call the caps very soft. there were a few that suggested that bourque's elbow and suspension is a signal the caps should try and get that player.

so...i imagine that there are many that put a high value on his roughing penalties. no?

SimplySensational 01-06-2012 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz (Post 42037889)
Or, it could be, you know, that people want a big center that's been over a point-per-game player for the last 4 seasons and has been an excellent playoff performer. Might be that.

I guess you could be right. Maybe people want the roughing penalties.

That sucks at faceoffs. You forgot that part.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz 01-06-2012 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liberation (Post 42039961)
That sucks at faceoffs. You forgot that part.

Oh the humanity.

He's better than Stamkos and Malkin, but much worse than Steckel.

Carlzner 01-06-2012 09:46 PM

Wiz the Flyers traded Richards for the cap space for Bryzgalov, and for his off ice attitudes.

Im not open to trading that much of our future who a UFA.
What happens AFTER next year?
He's not going to resign here.

californiacapsfan 01-06-2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner (Post 42040337)
Wiz the Flyers traded Richards for the cap space for Bryzgalov, and for his off ice attitudes.

Im not open to trading that much of our future who a UFA.
What happens AFTER next year?
He's not going to resign here.

At some point, management must decide the future is now and stop banking talent for some later time. Our best players are in their primes right now. Eventually we need to take a shot.

Hivemind 01-06-2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz (Post 42032275)

Simmonds has spent more time in Philadelphia's top six than he has out of it. In fact, he started the year as their net presence on the top powerplay unit, instead of Hartnell.

Granted, when things are going well for the Flyers they're rolling lines fairly evenly and Lavi does shuffle a fair bit (and injuries have forced even more shuffling).

NobodyBeatsTheWiz 01-06-2012 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystlyfe (Post 42040635)
Simmonds has spent more time in Philadelphia's top six than he has out of it. In fact, he started the year as their net presence on the top powerplay unit, instead of Hartnell.

Granted, when things are going well for the Flyers they're rolling lines fairly evenly and Lavi does shuffle a fair bit (and injuries have forced even more shuffling).

8th in ice time among forwards.

Hivemind 01-06-2012 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz (Post 42041199)
8th in ice time among forwards.

5th in ESTOI. He doesn't kill penalties for them.

IafrateOvie34 01-06-2012 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mothra (Post 42033763)

I am of the opinion that the Caps need to, and likely will, pick up another center before the playoffs. Certainly if they feel the team is playing well and they can make a go at it. Look throughout history....Cup winning teams almost always have 2 (or more) top centers. There are exceptions and different definitions of top center....but still, its not some freak thing that so many teams are strong down the middle.

I dont know who will be available....but do they do the somewhat minor Arnott type move or do they go after a proven player? My guess would be more a minor move at the deadline for an aging vet again.....Come summer though, I could see some major like move.

I think this sums up for most of us fans, at least for me. If we don't do a major change now, I sure hope this summer we will. If Kuz does transition to the NHL like he is playing that would be a big improvement by itself. I am a firm believer in defensive depth, but if Mike Green can stay healthy, the 2nd center is the immediate need. This should be an interesting trade deadline for the NHL.

caps4cup 01-06-2012 11:26 PM

I want Derek Roy... He should be available if the Sabres don't pick it up... He's close to a PPG center, and would truly be an elite 2C (at least from a production standpoint). He's also signed fairly cheap with a 4mil cap hit.

OV-Roy-Brouwer
Mojo-Backstrom-Semin

Looks like a great top 6 to me...

Brave Sir Robin 01-06-2012 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liberation (Post 42036995)
I wonder how many people realize Getzlaf has higher penalty minutes than Semin.

Or is it that you guys think roughing up people he knows won't fight him are good penalties?

I hate how people think you need some tough guy or all trades are stupid.

Think about it.

Paul Statsny. Not doing so good, but is a good player, ripe for our taking. Oh yeah and hes good at faceoffs, aka a pretty good ****ing thing to look at in center don't you think?

Stastny is a no go because of his Cap hit.

Halpysback* 01-07-2012 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Appreci8 (Post 42030815)
Kind of tough to top: #1 prospect in hockey, young top 6 winger, and a second.

Don't get the hype about Schenn.

#1 prospect with junior accomplishments taken into account, sure, but I can't see GMs salivating that much over a kid who at the very, very best will be a 70 point center with good two-way game for them. There's 5-6 players taken in every draft since and including that one that seem like they will be more effective at the pro level.

BiPolar Caps 01-07-2012 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwedishMeatballs1990 (Post 42044871)
I want Derek Roy... He should be available if the Sabres don't pick it up... He's close to a PPG center, and would truly be an elite 2C (at least from a production standpoint). He's also signed fairly cheap with a 4mil cap hit.

OV-Roy-Brouwer
Mojo-Backstrom-Semin

Looks like a great top 6 to me...

You should take a look at the Buffalo board and see what they are saying about Roy's performance of late as well as Stafford. The comments in the GDT thread for the Capitals game was none to flattering of either of these players.

As our comments on the Caps board regarding some of our players, i.e. Schultz and not as recent but Semin and Hamrlik can be somewhat revealing about a player, I always like to see what other fan bases are saying about some of the players that we might "over" value.

txpd 01-07-2012 09:19 AM

roy is injured again as of last night. he at least left that game with an injury.
how much of what posters on other boards say about their players should matter here?
yes, buffalo fans are hating on roy and ducks fans are hating on getzlaf. here criticism of getzlaf is dismissed. why not roy as well?

IafrateOvie34 01-07-2012 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpd (Post 42052725)
roy is injured again as of last night. he at least left that game with an injury.
how much of what posters on other boards say about their players should matter here?
yes, buffalo fans are hating on roy and ducks fans are hating on getzlaf. here criticism of getzlaf is dismissed. why not roy as well?

That has always been the knock on Roy. When he is healthy, Roy is a pretty good player. I like what NBTW mentioned about Gaustad. We have plenty of grinders, but Gaustad is a competitor and can chip in garbage goals.

Ridley Simon 01-07-2012 10:57 AM

I've said it before, I will say it again:

Vaclav Prospal

28pts for a woeful CBus team. Vet who can play top 9, anywhere for us. UFA to be at 2.5m hit.

It makes a ton of sense, and something I can see GMGM doing.