HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Hamilton notes (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=107322)

montreal 10-06-2004 12:49 PM

Hamilton notes

Mostly from Brunet I believe, I got them from Marc's board. Some of it is a few days old.

(1) From this morning's Gazoo - (few days old)

- Pleks has arrived and was on the ice. He had visa problems.

- Komisarek arrives today after the Habs checked him out, he may skate but he won't play tonite

- Dogs have no plans for Montreal Games as of now because they are reluctant to move games since they feel it's not fair to their fans in H-town. But no decision has been made.

- Hickey writes an article on Locke, with AS saying he must improve his speed and his strength and that he won't be returning to the OHL

(2) Brunet was at the game last night, here's an article on Higgins/Kosty:

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/art...4,807262.shtml

The key points in english:

- Higgins ''by far'' the best player on the ice last night. His assist on Plante's goal was a superb pass between 2 players skates. He was dominating with his speed and tenacity all night.

- Higgins: ''it's night and day compared to last season. I am alot more confident this year''.

- Brunet calls Kosty's goal ''worthy of the price of admission...'' The goalie did not even move on his shot.

- Locke didn't too baddly centering Kostitsyn...especially in the 2nd part of the game.

- Urkle seems a bit overmatched for AHL hockey at this point

- Brunet also says Jarvis seesm to totaly admire Higgins. Jarvis then goes on by saying the young players have stuff to learn, saying the wingers must be more solid defensively and that includes Kostitsyn who Jarvis feels must make some corrections in order to become a complete player: cut down on his turnovers and giving the puck away to the other team when he has no room on the ice.

- Finally, AS when leaving the arena said ''Imagine if Perezhogin was here'' with a smile...

Brunet writes another article on Higgs, comparing his style to Kirk Muller's.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/art...4,807261.shtml

Higgs says he wants to become an important leader on the Dogs while he waits for his chance to get a NHL job. He notices a ton of talent with Kostitsyn and says his development should be like Perez's last year.

Jarvis adds: «He has been brilliant since the start of camp. He's in a great physical shape. He works very hard and never stops working. We are doing everything in order to asure the lockout won't hurt his progression. At the very least, he has the opportunity to play. He will continue his development with us.»

(3) Brunet has some news on Komo/Hainsey/Beauchemin in his article today

- Komo went to NY doctors for a 2nd opinion on his hip after the Habs doctors told him everything was OK. So he hasn't arrived in Hamilton yet.

- Gainey is ready to give Komo the benefit of the doubt. He says Komo felt some pain in his hip once he put his skates on so he went for the 2nd opinion. This injury dates back to the playoffs.

- Hainsey and Komo are expected to be back in Hamilton by the weekend at the latest. Hainsey still hasn't signed his minor league contract.

As for Beauchemin, BG called other GM's around to league to see if anyone was interested in him. Gainey was CONVINCED Beauchemin would be able to clear waivers, but the BJ's made the claim (they have been the only team to make claims during the lockout). CBJ then signed him to a ''minor league'' contract and got him to their farm team.

(4) http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/art...4,809391.shtml

Today Brunet takes a look at Milroy...establishing a comparaison between him and Ryder and the similar career paths.

AS says Milroy has top 6 talent but has alot of work ahead of him.

Article on Ivanans:

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/art...4,809392.shtml

Brunet also feels the top line will be Higgins-Plekanec-Milroy and the ''crash'' line will be Ivanans-Morgan-Ferland.

Mooch 10-06-2004 12:55 PM

Excellent read Dan. Thanks a lot....

So if Higgins-Plekanec-Milroy makes up the first line, whos the second line left winger gona most likey be......

Ott??-Locke-Kostitsyn

6 String Benny 10-06-2004 01:15 PM

Quick question Dan-There will be 2 preseason games played against the Manitoba Moose close to my town here in northern Ontario.If I go to see them,can I expect a good line up on the ice,or will they not send their top players this far?I would have to drive a couple of hours to see the games but if the quality is there,I'm there too.I would also be curious to see Ivanans there too and see if he is the huge monster he is said to be.The games are Friday night in Fort Frances and Saturday in Dryden.

Aarex 10-06-2004 01:45 PM

Thats fantastic reading (wish i could understand french)

Earlier you said they wouldn't be having any more preseason games on the radio I was wondering if you heard anything different? I recall last game the announcer was trying to get them to show the rest of the preseasons games, and on the AHL site it has a broadcast time for tonights game.

montreal 10-06-2004 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mooch

So if Higgins-Plekanec-Milroy makes up the first line, whos the second line left winger gona most likey be......

Ott??-Locke-Kostitsyn

That's just Brunet's guess. Jarvis seems to mix up the lines a lot anyways.

I would assume Higgins Plekanec Kostitsyn or Milroy

Ott Dusablon Milroy or Kostitsyn

Miettinen Morgan Ferland

Ivanans Locke Thinel

But that's just a guess. Looks like ice time may be hard to come by for Urquhart, Lambert and Locke, as last year the 4th line didn't see a lot of time. Even Archer might have a tough time getting quailty ice time if Hainsey's signed.

Hainsey Komisarek
Daley Jancevski
Plante Cote
Archer

I would guess that if Hainsey signs, both Hainsey and Komisarek won't be ready for game time by next friday, but a lot depends on when they actually show up and what kind of shape they are in.

I would assume in nets will be

Ellis
Danis

montreal 10-06-2004 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6 String Benny
Quick question Dan-There will be 2 preseason games played against the Manitoba Moose close to my town here in northern Ontario.If I go to see them,can I expect a good line up on the ice,or will they not send their top players this far?I would have to drive a couple of hours to see the games but if the quality is there,I'm there too.I would also be curious to see Ivanans there too and see if he is the huge monster he is said to be.The games are Friday night in Fort Frances and Saturday in Dryden.

Tough to say, I really don't know. I would guess that some players will be there and others might sit. I would think it would be fun to see them play, whoever plays. I'll be driving 3 hours to see them on the 22nd, but that's regular season.

montreal 10-06-2004 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rydified
Thats fantastic reading (wish i could understand french)

Earlier you said they wouldn't be having any more preseason games on the radio I was wondering if you heard anything different? I recall last game the announcer was trying to get them to show the rest of the preseasons games, and on the AHL site it has a broadcast time for tonights game.

I haven't heard anything, but hopefully the game will be on the radio tonight. In the past I've had to contact the company that hosts the Dogs broadcasts, as the people at Hamilton forgot to book the air time. It happen several times during the playoffs two years ago.

Rather Gingerly 1* 10-06-2004 02:02 PM

They should make a thread like this a sticky. Gives us a daily look into our top farm team.

Mooch 10-06-2004 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montreal
That's just Brunet's guess. Jarvis seems to mix up the lines a lot anyways.

I would assume Higgins Plekanec Kostitsyn or Milroy

Ott Dusablon Milroy or Kostitsyn

Miettinen Morgan Ferland

Ivanans Locke Thinel

But that's just a guess. Looks like ice time may be hard to come by for Urquhart, Lambert and Locke, as last year the 4th line didn't see a lot of time. Even Archer might have a tough time getting quailty ice time if Hainsey's signed.

Hainsey Komisarek
Daley Jancevski
Plante Cote
Archer

I would guess that if Hainsey signs, both Hainsey and Komisarek won't be ready for game time by next friday, but a lot depends on when they actually show up and what kind of shape they are in.

I would assume in nets will be

Ellis
Danis

I would assume that Locke and Urquhart would split time, because as the article states the Habs managemnt feel Locke needs to get stronger and faster, and to add to that its his frist pro season. I guess we wont know until the season starts....cant wait!

Marc the Habs Fan 10-06-2004 02:08 PM

Hmm, noticed a few typos in there. Sorry guys.

''- Locke didn't too baddly centering Kostitsyn...especially in the 2nd part of the game.''

didn't do too baddly is what should be written. :)

BTW, in the first part...the info on Komo was from last week before he went from the 2nd opinion if anyone was confused.

As for the lines, Brunet says that's what the Dogs early season plans are. How he got that info, I don't know.

loadie 10-06-2004 02:12 PM

Thanks Dan...Excellent read.

Ape Clutch 10-06-2004 03:14 PM

Quote:

Ott??-Locke-Kostitsyn

Dusablon I hope, he's a skilled youngster... Kostitsyn's a skilled guy both playing with (for now) the ahl equivalent of Ryder? should be good

Corey 10-06-2004 04:00 PM

The only thing wrong with a comparison between Chris Higgins and Kirk Muller is that Higgins is a better skater. Otherwise, it's a compliment to Higgins.

Razorblade 10-06-2004 04:02 PM

Hopefully all of the young talent gets a good shot tonight, as I'm interested to see what they've got after some of the hype they've received. I saw a little bit of camp last week, but this will be the first game I've seen this season.

With regards to the notes, the one about Higgins vastly improving is a great indication. He was playing quite well last year, but if he's bulked up he'll be much more effective. That seemed to be the only downfall for him last year, as he would sometimes stay out of the corners. With Plekanec, I doubt he'll play tonight but as long as he's in game shape he'll probably take to the ice against the Moose.

And as far as Beauchemin goes, yes it was a big loss to the Dogs but he doesn't have anything else to prove at the AHL level imo. They should have kept him in Montreal for the year and waited till the lockout was over and kept him on the Habs as a 6th/7th dman.

Mooch 10-06-2004 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corey
The only thing wrong with a comparison between Chris Higgins and Kirk Muller is that Higgins is a better skater. Otherwise, it's a compliment to Higgins.

And Leadersip imo. Its way to early to be comparing Higgins leaderhip skill to mullers, who an establised nhl leader.

montreal 10-06-2004 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razorblade
Hopefully all of the young talent gets a good shot tonight, as I'm interested to see what they've got after some of the hype they've received. I saw a little bit of camp last week, but this will be the first game I've seen this season.

With regards to the notes, the one about Higgins vastly improving is a great indication. He was playing quite well last year, but if he's bulked up he'll be much more effective. That seemed to be the only downfall for him last year, as he would sometimes stay out of the corners. With Plekanec, I doubt he'll play tonight but as long as he's in game shape he'll probably take to the ice against the Moose.

And as far as Beauchemin goes, yes it was a big loss to the Dogs but he doesn't have anything else to prove at the AHL level imo. They should have kept him in Montreal for the year and waited till the lockout was over and kept him on the Habs as a 6th/7th dman.

Hope you see a good game, let us know how it went. I don't think Miettinen will play since he hurt his shoulder.

As for the internet fans, I don't think tonights game will be on the net, but I checked the site that hosts their games, and it now says the Dogs vs Moose game will be on the radio. I'll check right before game time to see if they end up putting it on though. If your bored, there's a Rocket game on at 6pm.

Rather Gingerly 1* 10-06-2004 05:01 PM

Quote:

And Leadersip imo. Its way to early to be comparing Higgins leaderhip skill to mullers, who an establised nhl leader.

I hope its the Muller when he came to the Habs. Not the one that left. His career was over early. By 28 he was in a tailspin

NewHabsEra* 10-06-2004 06:04 PM

Gainey made a sad mistake... I was very high on Beauchemin and you can be sure he will become a very solid defenseman for the BlueJackets! I would have wished to see him replace Brisebois or Rivet next year... Anyway... :(

About Higgins... Im very happy to hear he is in great shape like I expected to... It looks like he will be 100% focussed on hockey and ready to dominate the game in the AHL this year...

Milroy will have a great year.. Ive been quite amazed by him in the rookie tournament, what I would have never expected..

Kostitsyn will need time to adjust and understand the system... He Should be a dominant player in the AHL at some point this season...

Im a bit desapointed by Komisarek's attitude but Ill too give him the benefit of the doubt.

Savard's comment on Perezhogin says long... I think Perezhogin has the potential to become a star in the NHL, in both side of the ice... What Im saying for a while, IMO he is one of the most skilled fowards in the 2003 draft. Would be an easy top 10 pick if the 2001 year draft was redone.

Finnally Hamilton will be a force again this year.. A very young team but how much skilled!! Beauchemin will be a big lose though..

Hope Komisarek come back healthy soon and that Hainsey be more overall effective this year.

goalchenyuk 10-06-2004 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rather Gingerly 1
I hope its the Muller when he came to the Habs. Not the one that left. His career was over early. By 28 he was in a tailspin

it was more an injuries problem ; He played betwen 15 to +- 30 games 4 seasons in a row .He had a 20 goals season when he was something like 32+- years old

ttnorm 10-06-2004 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razorblade
With regards to the notes, the one about Higgins vastly improving is a great indication. He was playing quite well last year, but if he's bulked up he'll be much more effective. That seemed to be the only downfall for him last year, as he would sometimes stay out of the corners.

In two years, Higgins will be a bull in a china shop in the corners.

saskhab 10-06-2004 11:20 PM

I can see Gainey making a retaliation move by acquiring a Blue Jacket in the waiver draft or on waivers in the future. If Gainey checked around the league, including Columbus, to gauge interest, than I'm sure Gainey will remember that when Columbus makes a borderline player available... That, or we'll get Beauchemin back like we did Bouillon from Nashville.

NewHabsEra* 10-07-2004 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saskhab
I can see Gainey making a retaliation move by acquiring a Blue Jacket in the waiver draft or on waivers in the future. If Gainey checked around the league, including Columbus, to gauge interest, than I'm sure Gainey will remember that when Columbus makes a borderline player available... That, or we'll get Beauchemin back like we did Bouillon from Nashville.

Columbus knew very well what they were doing by acquiring Beauchemin... Terrible mistake by Gainey nothing less.