HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Free Agent Frenzy (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Eklund Rumor: Flames and Pens talking Blockbuster (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1073497)

viper0220 01-07-2012 11:57 AM

Flames and Pens talking Blockbuster

Could this mean "Could Iginla be heading to Pitt?"

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...buster/1/41119

startainfection* 01-07-2012 11:59 AM

i thought hockeybuzz was supposed to be read for entertainment purposes only, not for plausible rumors

The Kremelin Wall* 01-07-2012 12:00 PM

Would have to be Staal+ for Iginla. Possibly Despres as the +.

Tuggy 01-07-2012 12:01 PM

Pittsburgh is starting to fade. With Crosby's future unknown they might have to make a big move to keep up.

emedshot 01-07-2012 12:05 PM

Babchuk+3d for Malkin+Crosby+Staal+2nd

tyratoku 01-07-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emedshot (Post 42057435)
Babchuk+3d for Malkin+Crosby+Staal+2nd

Calgary overpays. Take out the 3rd.

Imagine that Pittsburgh D core.

The Anton - Who cares?
Doesn't matter - Scrub
Niskanen - Orpik

Anton would literally carry that team to the playoffs.

Good deal for both teams, IMO.

AvsFan7* 01-07-2012 12:25 PM

Staal+ was first thing that came to my mind, Maybe Staal and Kennedy or Kunitz, or if Calgary is rebuilding Staal and a 1st.

Noreaster96 01-07-2012 12:28 PM

What probably happened was Shero and Feaster were discussing what movies theyd like to rent from Blockbuster to watch before the next time the Flames and Penguins played eachother and someone overheard it

LatvianTwist 01-07-2012 12:31 PM

Staal + Despres/1st makes a lot of sense for both sides. Maybe a d-man coming back to Pitt, too, just to give them some more depth.

LatvianTwist 01-07-2012 12:33 PM

I'm actually more intrigued by his article on Nashville and Philly. Those two ideas actually make a lot of sense, just gonna be interesting to see if a deal can be made.

King Woodballs 01-07-2012 12:34 PM

It means nothing is going to happen

Pepin le bref 01-07-2012 12:42 PM

Iginla was a blue chip prospect when he was traded for Nieuwendyk.

If this rumour has legs, I would see a Despres + mid-level prospect for Iginla making sense for both teams. Despres has excellent potential and has progressed well since being drafted.

That being said, I could see Pittsburgh being hesitant to trade Despres but Calgary surely won't settle for anything less or a ''quantity'' package of lesser prospects/warm bodies/picks.

It dosen't make sense for Pittsburgh to trade Staal for Iginla, Pens wouldn't be able to match up well againts deep line-ups like Boston and Philadelphia who can role at least 3 lines againts any team in the league. Pens need Staal even with Crosby in the line-up.

The Kremelin Wall* 01-07-2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepin le bref (Post 42060349)
Iginla was a blue chip prospect when he was traded for Nieuwendyk.

If this rumour has legs, I would see a Despres + mid-level prospect for Iginla making sense for both teams. Despres has excellent potential and has progressed well since being drafted.

That being said, I could see Pittsburgh being hesitant to trade Despres but Calgary surely won't settle for anything less or a ''quantity'' package of lesser prospects/warm bodies/picks.

It dosen't make sense for Pittsburgh to trade Staal for Iginla, Pens wouldn't be able to match up well againts deep line-ups like Boston and Philadelphia who can role at least 3 lines againts any team in the league. Pens need Staal even with Crosby in the line-up.

Difference being Iginla is still in his prime. The only prospect over equal value would be Mikael Granlund. You're bat**** insane if you think Despres + a little could fetch Iggy. Staal + Despres or a 1st, otherwise I'm sure Calgary can get better packages elsewhere. The goal isn't for Calgary to make Pittsburgh a better team, which is what your proposal seems to point towards.

Doogs44 01-07-2012 12:52 PM

The Pens are not going to move Depres.

I don't see how they could make a deal that makes sense for either team.

SuperSaiyanBeastmode 01-07-2012 12:52 PM

I think staal is a little much for iginla, but I don't think they have anyone else to give them. But iginla and malkin without crosby can win a cup this year imo.

LatvianTwist 01-07-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall (Post 42061025)
Difference being Iginla is still in his prime. The only prospect over equal value would be Mikael Granlund. You're bat**** insane if you think Despres + a little could fetch Iggy. Staal + Despres or a 1st, otherwise I'm sure Calgary can get better packages elsewhere. The goal isn't for Calgary to make Pittsburgh a better team, which is what your proposal seems to point towards.

This. Calgary's not making this deal without a great center coming back.

Now, if Calgary isn't looking for a roster player, I think something like:

Despres + Tangradi + salary dump

Might be able to get it done, with small picks going back and forth to even it out. But I do think they want more of a shorter term solution.

Pepin le bref 01-07-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall (Post 42061025)

I just dosen't make sense for Pittsburgh to trade Stall ++ for Iginla. They just couldn't be able to match up well againts top teams with possibly only Malkin as a top-6 center.

For sure, if Calgary really are looking to trade Iginla, they would be smart to look at numerous offers in order to create competition between interested teams and get the max out of Iginla's value. Let's not forget that Iginla has a 7M cap hit and is UFA after 2012-13. He is a 1 1/2 season pick-up.

Simon Despres is a legit blue-chip prospect who has looked very good in the NHL thus far. If Calgary can get more than Despres + late 1st round pick, good for them.

What teams are in position and interested enough in Iginla to offer more than Despres + 1st round pick? If that's not enough from a Flames point of view, they can keep Iginla and everyone is happy.

Edit: By the way, Neiuwendyk was still way in his prime when he got traded for Iginla.

Dylonus 01-07-2012 01:07 PM

Is it true? Probably not.

Is it worth getting giddy over? Yes. I want Iginla in Pittsburgh :cry:

Saving Greiss 01-07-2012 01:10 PM

Bunch of fiction of Eklund, but it would be nice to have Iginla.

93gilmour93 01-07-2012 01:11 PM

Lots of staal for iginla in this thread.Iginla in pittsburgh would be awesome for the penguins but can they afford to trade staal with crosby so up in the air?

Keske 01-07-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LatvianTwist (Post 42059509)
Staal + Despres/1st makes a lot of sense for both sides. Maybe a d-man coming back to Pitt, too, just to give them some more depth.

Doesn't make sense for Pittsburgh. Even if you ignore the cap hit ($7m added to 2x $8.7m doesn't leave much to go around), it leaves Pittsburgh without a 2nd line centre. Can't trade Staal whilst there's any doubt about Crosby's health. Otherwise it's Malkin + a mishmash Dupuis/Park/Vitale/Jeffrey centering the bottom 9.

PenguinTommy 01-07-2012 01:32 PM

1. Pens are not gonna trade any of their 3 centers (cause of injury problems) nor Despres or Morrow..

2. They can't afford 7M cap hit of Iggy for the next season, cause they need to re-sign Neal (will seek app. at least 4,5-5M per)

3. The only player who can (possible) be traded is Paul Martin, but I doubt Martin would waive his NTC to Calgary.

Pens might go for a RENTAL player or signed player for app. 5,0M per MAX, IMO.

Pepin le bref 01-07-2012 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PenguinTommy (Post 42065415)
1. Pens are not gonna trade any of their 3 centers (cause of injury problems) nor Despres or Morrow..

2. They can't afford 7M cap hit of Iggy for the next season, cause they need to re-sign Neal (will seek app. at least 4,5-5M per)

3. The only player who can (possible) be traded is Paul Martin, but I doubt Martin would waive his NTC to Calgary.

Pens might go for a RENTAL player or signed player for app. 5,0M per MAX, IMO.

I agree Pens would be smarter to go for a ture rental in the Kostitsyn mold as he would cost much less than Iginla.

Zero chance Calgary settles for Martin in exchange for Iginla, you got to give to get and Calgary will be looking for good young players + top draft picks.

Double Dion 01-07-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyratoku (Post 42057887)
Calgary overpays. Take out the 3rd.

Imagine that Pittsburgh D core.

The Anton - Who cares?
Doesn't matter - Scrub
Niskanen - Orpik

Anton would literally carry that team to the playoffs.

Good deal for both teams, IMO.

In one sentence you recognize the value of The Anton. In the next you say trading him for a scrub like Malkin with a couple of throw ins is a "good deal for both teams." Make up your mind sir, you had it right the first time.

StrongIslanders90 01-07-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall (Post 42057137)
Would have to be Staal+ for Iginla. Possibly Despres as the +.

This is what im thinking...