HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Vancouver Canucks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Have the Bruins exposed the NHL? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1074209)

petrishriekandgo 01-07-2012 06:44 PM

Have the Bruins exposed the NHL?

You know the more I think about it the more I think the Bruins have the NHL figured out.

They KNOW they can get away with stuff... probably on every shift because there is NO WAY they'll get called for everything. They also know that these hacks/wacks/etc. add up and erode the oppositions will to be disciplined which will lead to breaks for them. They also don't mind that and injury or two may occur which is also a bonus for them.

As an added Bonus they know that the NHL, on average, likes to EVEN out the game in regards to PP chances so regardless of how many penalties they take they know they'll get close to the same amount and that there will be make-up calls.

So it's a frickin' win-win-win for the B's.

The Boston Bruins have exposed the systematic, predictable game management that the NHL employs to maintain parity and are exploiting it at every turn.

Thoughts?

petrishriekandgo 01-07-2012 06:46 PM

My apologies to the MODS if I've used the wrong pre-fix here and I'm certainly not trying to flame either. I'm really wondering if it's true... if others feel that the system the Bruins use is in fact directly set-up to exploit the way the NHL manages it's games?

grayson* 01-07-2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petrishriekandgo (Post 42092235)
You know the more I think about it the more I think the Bruins have the NHL figured out.

They KNOW they can get away with stuff... probably on every shift because there is NO WAY they'll get called for everything. They also know that these hacks/wacks/etc. add up and erode the oppositions will to be disciplined which will lead to breaks for them. They also don't mind that and injury or two may occur which is also a bonus for them.

As an added Bonus they know that the NHL, on average, likes to EVEN out the game in regards to PP chances so regardless of how many penalties they take they know they'll get close to the same amount and that there will be make-up calls.

So it's a frickin' win-win-win for the B's.

The Boston Bruins have exposed the systematic, predictable game management that the NHL employs to maintain parody and are exploiting it at every turn.

Thoughts?

Did you miss the [sic] on purpose?

ThereGoesVirtanen 01-07-2012 06:49 PM

This'll be closed.

Bruins seem to have the mentality of "they can't catch everything."

Biggest Canuck Fan 01-07-2012 06:51 PM

I enjoyed your post, same one, in the other thread and I do think this really exposes the game management theory.

When you look at this game, and it is a decent example considering the calls were +4 for the Canucks I found the timing of the penalties to be interesting. Having said that to start the game the 5 on 3 was really interesting.

Overall I agree with you, but I think today the game was necessarily managed. But you are 100% correct in that the bruins do alot of crap knowing it isn't going to be called.

Today alot of it was.

petrishriekandgo 01-07-2012 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grayson (Post 42092475)
Did you miss the [sic] on purpose?

Oops... 'parity' is what I meant.

Ha ha.

petrishriekandgo 01-07-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan (Post 42092757)
I enjoyed your post, same one, in the other thread and I do think this really exposes the game management theory.

When you look at this game, and it is a decent example considering the calls were +4 for the Canucks I found the timing of the penalties to be interesting. Having said that to start the game the 5 on 3 was really interesting.

Overall I agree with you, but I think today the game was necessarily managed. But you are 100% correct in that the bruins do alot of crap knowing it isn't going to be called.

Today alot of it was.

Yah... but the B's had 7 PP chances and I thought the Canucks played really disciplined for the most part. A few of the hooking calls against them were atrocious.

I really wonder if these tactics and their success with them will have other GM's really trying to figure out how to counter it and in that scrutiny will this question I'm raising emerge?

I mean... what can you do against a team that does whatever they want, that could have a penalty against on every shift? How do you beat that team... do you have to change the system so it can't happen anymore?

Do they go back to penalties being 2 minutes regardless of whether or not a goal is scored?

Not sure... but the B's are exploiting this loop-hole like no other team in the NHL.

petrishriekandgo 01-07-2012 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDK (Post 42092645)
This'll be closed.

Bruins seem to have the mentality of "they can't catch everything."

I'm hoping not as I'd rather discuss the NHL's methods rather than the B's exploiting them.

hlrsr 01-07-2012 07:09 PM

I haven't really paid attention to much if they still do, but the Ducks definitely used to do this. In fact, I think Burke even commented on it back when he was GM.

grayson* 01-07-2012 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petrishriekandgo (Post 42092919)
Oops... 'parity' is what I meant.

Ha ha.

Yeah well I think it makes more sense when left at parody. :laugh:

Crows* 01-07-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hlrsr (Post 42094201)
I haven't really paid attention to much if they still do, but the Ducks definitely used to do this. In fact, I think Burke even commented on it back when he was GM.

Good comment. The Bruins are playing like the ducks used to (when they won the cup) though what the bruins do is far worse.

cbjerrisgaard 01-07-2012 07:14 PM

The problem with the "well they can't call everything" idea is that you need the talent to combat the short handed opportunities you're going to give up.

4/11 says it all. Maybe this is less of an issue in the playoffs than the regular season, but I doubt any team goes in just saying "f-it, we'll just play dirty and it'll work itself out".

Peter Bazooka 01-07-2012 07:15 PM

They've certainly figured out the secret to avoiding facing any repercussions for crossing the line with how many suspension worthy offenses they've gotten away with the past two years.

BLAME CANADA* 01-07-2012 07:16 PM

Not a bad way to win a series. You hit and play like that you'll be injuring the other team stars and then making the game easier to win, worked against us last year.

grayson* 01-07-2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crows (Post 42094383)
Good comment. The Bruins are playing like the ducks used to (when they won the cup) though what the bruins do is far worse.

As much as I hate to say it, what Burke promoted wasn't anywhere near Bruins-level these days. It's one thing to play tough and with an edge, but the Bruins for the most part just play straight up dirty. No grey area, just dirt.

arsmaster 01-07-2012 07:27 PM

The NHL would never call 18 PP opportunities in the FINAL.

They love 'good old hockey'.

Backhand Saucer Pass 01-07-2012 07:32 PM

The hooking call on Daniel after it was 4-2 was atrocious. It allowed the game to go to 4-3 and keep Boston in it. I couldn't believe that they called that after all of the crap they let got earlier in the game. That isn't even taking into account the call on Weise earlier, what a farce.

RandV 01-07-2012 07:38 PM

While it makes sense I'd have to objectively watch a good number of their games to form a proper opinion about this. But one thing I found odd, isn't Don van Massenhoven a senior official and considered to be one of the best, most well respected refs in the league? On the main forum, a Bruins fan has started a thread about Refs you hate officiating your team, and where everyone else immediately points to Lee or Auger the OP along with a few other Bruins fans have pointed fingers at van Massenhoven. Of course going along with the trend of this thread the homer in me wants to make the implication that they hate the guy because he's one of the few refs that will properly call the Bruins team on their thuggish antics.

Another reason they can play this way is because their top 2 wingers are two huge Canadian boys and the #1 dman probably the most feared fighter in the league. Realistically Bruins forwards 4-12 and dmen 2-6 aren't really any tougher than what we have, but it can make your team a lot braver when your star players can also lead the way as goons.

petrishriekandgo 01-07-2012 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backhand Saucer Pass (Post 42096977)
The hooking call on Daniel after it was 4-2 was atrocious. It allowed the game to go to 4-3 and keep Boston in it. I couldn't believe that they called that after all of the crap they let got earlier in the game. That isn't even taking into account the call on Weise earlier, what a farce.

Game management and the Bruins knew it was coming... it's a joke.

Bombsy 01-07-2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

At the time of that penalty I said to my buddy that it was almost as bad of a call as the Burrows-Auger game and that the refs will do what they can to help make it 4-4. It was so predictable that the next couple calls were going to go against the Canucks to manage the score, so the B's could get away with more hacking and whacking while that ticky-tack hooking call on Daniel (and Edler's holding penalty)was called. It was predictable and atrocious.

RandV 01-07-2012 07:42 PM

Quote:

The call on Weise was fine, he didn't drop the gloves but he certainly goaded Thornton into doing so with the promise of one. These aren't antics you want to let a 4th line tough guy get away with. Hansen on the other hand definitely should not have been called to even up the other one. It's one thing for a scrapper to get called on it, but not someone that never fights.

Canuckommunist 01-07-2012 07:42 PM

Yeah sure, but the Canucks still need to win. Bad officiating cost us quite a few PP chances last year but they couldn't convert on one to save their own skin.

The NHL does what it does. Teams have to adapt to that.

CpatainCanuck 01-07-2012 07:44 PM

Stepping away from the topic of cheapshots for a moment: Something I noticed is that almost every hit the Bruins threw at the canucks was borderline charging...cruising full steam into the opposing player with no effort to recover the puck but just hit as hard as possible. In the playoffs these borderline calls will never be called...and in fact the intensity will be raised still further.

Certainly this is a successful way of playing. Violently finishing your checks will wear down an opposing team over a game or series. But is that really the direction the nhl wants to go: where a big tough team can simply hit a more skilled team into submission?

Scottrockztheworld* 01-07-2012 07:47 PM

I hope its a tactic the Canucks use in the playoffs. If we're being called the dirtiest team in the league we may as well live up to that billing.:nod:

VinnyC 01-07-2012 07:48 PM

Do I get a free tinfoil hat when I post in this thread? Well, I'll find out.