HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   QMJHL (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=147)
-   -   2012 President's Cup Champion (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1074765)

JohnnyB11 01-08-2012 12:20 PM

2012 President's Cup Champion

So, now that the trading period has come and gone, who do you think will win the Q championship this year?

QcS 01-08-2012 01:11 PM

i have to pick Saint John again.

Do i think they are unbeatable though? no.

As Gatineau showed last year, if a team gets in a groove, plays very well as a team and gets top performances by some important pieces (like Clermont last year), anything's possible. That applies to Shawinigan, Victoriaville, Québec, Chicoutimi and Halifax.

I put Halifax there, because their goal should be to play at least 2 rounds to give the youngsters lots of playoff experience, but they could very well make it to the end. They have a good team.

In the playoffs, it depends on injuries and cohesiveness.
Saint John does have great depth though.

BLBarmada 01-08-2012 02:17 PM

Saint John will likely repeat, experience and star power will kill the opposition.

Chicoutimi may go far.

Taoiseach 01-08-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QcS (Post 42132613)
As Gatineau showed last year, if a team gets in a groove, plays very well as a team and gets top performances by some important pieces (like Clermont last year), anything's possible.

What kind of a fan would I be if I didn't think that that would happen again?

Outside of that, I don't think that Saint John has the goaltending to get it done again.

I think Shawinigan and Victoriaville are the favourites (the edge to Shawinigan because of Gormley now), but I wouldn't count Chicoutimi out of it either.

I'd love to see Pageau, Ouellet, and Gagnon win it if we can't.

rocketfan 01-08-2012 02:41 PM

I dont think Saint John can get it done even though i wish they would i am gonna say chicoutimi wins the Q this year quick ? as i am not familiar with chicoutimi but is it a small market that would be good if a smaller market could winbecause I know I will never see my small market team do anything

BLBarmada 01-08-2012 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocketfan (Post 42137413)
I dont think Saint John can get it done even though i wish they would i am gonna say chicoutimi wins the Q this year quick ? as i am not familiar with chicoutimi but is it a small market that would be good if a smaller market could winbecause I know I will never see my small market team do anything

Chicoutimi is the dangerous darkhorse, don't underestimate the power of the Sea Dogs side of the force, who thought they'd do it with Deserres ?

Shawi and Victo don't have great goalies. Chicoutimi do.

Habsrule1 01-09-2012 03:28 PM

It wouldn't let me vote.......i think the Sea Dogs have enough to win again

CarlBrewer 01-09-2012 03:50 PM

Hello ....no goal tending

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLBarmada (Post 42147639)
Chicoutimi is the dangerous darkhorse, don't underestimate the power of the Sea Dogs side of the force, who thought they'd do it with Deserres ?

Shawi and Victo don't have great goalies. Chicoutimi do.

Just a reminder that the back up goalie, Whitney is 14 wins and 2 losses backing up the Vancouver draft pick Honzig.....I am not sure that the goal tending is the problem in Victo. Defense was a question...but that seems to have been tightened up....

Penguins23 01-10-2012 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlBrewer (Post 42191499)
Just a reminder that the back up goalie, Whitney is 14 wins and 2 losses backing up the Vancouver draft pick Honzig.....I am not sure that the goal tending is the problem in Victo. Defense was a question...but that seems to have been tightened up....

Don't forget Girard has one of the best save % in the league for Shawi and that's before they added 2 elite d-men.

RJQuack 01-10-2012 10:13 PM

IDK why Chic went after so many big names... They must be going for next year, cuz no way theyd make a run this year.

It's SJ, they were the favorite before the deadline, then they added Coyle... Thats enough for me.

Sj over Shawi in 6 for Pres Cup.

Sj over London in Mem Cup finals

markrander87 01-13-2012 09:55 AM

Shawinigan just beat Saint John 4-1 last night.

The fact that they can have either Gormley or Ellis on the ice for the whole game is scary. I just feel that Saint John wont have that same winning drive they had last year. They've already won the Mem cup I think a team like Shawinigan will take it.

GM17* 01-13-2012 10:18 AM

improve memorial cup team

lose Q playoffs

lol

chsb 01-13-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markrander87 (Post 42406341)
Shawinigan just beat Saint John 4-1 last night.

The fact that they can have either Gormley or Ellis on the ice for the whole game is scary. I just feel that Saint John wont have that same winning drive they had last year. They've already won the Mem cup I think a team like Shawinigan will take it.

I agree!

I will see how the Cataractes play against the Titan tomorrow night and I will come back to talk about it.

The Titan already beat Saint-John 3 times this season and please don't come back to me Dogs fan with the bull that they never had their full lineup.
I will say 3 times is a solid sample.....

At the Mem Cup, defense is very important and also goaltending.
Dubeau and Girard are the best goaltender tandem of all the Q contenders.
Gormley/Ellis/Narbonne/Racine is an unmatched top-4 by any team on defense.

They have 3 solid forward lines.
The only edge SJ have is in experience from last season.

GM17* 01-13-2012 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chsb (Post 42408045)
I agree!

I will see how the Cataractes play against the Titan tomorrow night and I will come back to talk about it.

The Titan already beat Saint-John 3 times this season and please don't come back to me Dogs fan with the bull that they never had their full lineup.
I will say 3 times is a solid sample.....

At the Mem Cup, defense is very important and also goaltending.
Dubeau and Girard are the best goaltender tandem of all the Q contenders.
Gormley/Ellis/Narbonne/Racine is an unmatched top-4 by any team on defense.

They have 3 solid forward lines.
The only edge SJ have is in experience from last season.

Really? Their forwards are head and shoulders above Shawinigan and IT'S NOT EVEN REMOTELY CLOSE

chsb 01-13-2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GM17 (Post 42408923)
Really? Their forwards are head and shoulders above Shawinigan and IT'S NOT EVEN REMOTELY CLOSE

I have to differ!

If it were the case, why did they get 1 OT win out of 2 faceoffs so far against them with both games at Harbour Station?

Last night was a head to head game for first overall and Shawinigan proved again that they were not a mistake the 1st time plus now they have Narbonne/Ellis/Gormley to boot.

Having a team full of stars does not mean a team is better offensively.
Shawinigan is 3.89 goals scored offensively compared to 4.11 for SJ.
Defensively Shawinigan's GAA is 2.66 compared to 3.00 for SJ.
The goal differential is +54 for Shawinigan compared to 51 for SJ...

Plus Shawinigan is playing in a much tougher Division than SJ.
So that offensive supremacy you are claiming they have is not even remotely a fact.

GM17* 01-13-2012 12:54 PM

Forgot Gormley Ellis Narbonne play forward and that goals against is a measure of offensive talent

Excuse Saint John for having so many players in the NHL during the first month of the season, in the WJHC tournament+tryouts in December, and missing Galiev+Huberdeau+Tesink for extended periods of time.

Yea that doesn't make up for THREE goals in a goal differential. :sarcasm: :laugh:

Nevermind that Saint John has 29 more goals despite having every reason to have fewer.

I want what drugs you're on

chsb 01-13-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GM17 (Post 42414849)
Forgot Gormley Ellis Narbonne play forward and that goals against is a measure of offensive talent

Excuse Saint John for having so many players in the NHL during the first month of the season, in the WJHC tournament+tryouts in December, and missing Galiev+Huberdeau+Tesink for extended periods of time.

Yea that doesn't make up for THREE goals in a goal differential. :sarcasm: :laugh:

Nevermind that Saint John has 29 more goals despite having every reason to have fewer.

I want what drugs you're on

I don't know where you learned math 101, but Saint-John have 18 more goals scored than Shawinigan with two more games played.
So the real difference is about 8-10 goals.
Look at the difference after tonight's game in PEI!

Your team might have been missing some key players in the last month, but Shawinigan did not have Gormley, nor Bournival, nor Ellis....3 big chunks of the team.

And they are still 9-1 in their last 10 games.

Yes offense starts fromt the defensive transition game and Shawinigan never had anything comparable to what they have now on hand...you will see the difference in the next stretch....I hope you enjoy the ride.

GM17* 01-13-2012 01:49 PM

oh sorry ONLY 18 hahahaha

RJQuack 01-13-2012 02:32 PM

SJ's forwards are head and shoulders above Shawi.. The D is a different story... But noone is close to a healthy SJ forward crop.

BLBarmada 01-13-2012 03:44 PM

Experience is way underrated.

chsb 01-13-2012 05:40 PM

Already 4-0 already at 5 minutes from the end of the first period!

Such a good hockey machine.....I wonder why you do not see the light on that team...
They will finish first in the Q.....you can bookmark this!

LaLaLaprise 01-13-2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chsb (Post 42428287)
Already 4-0 already at 5 minutes from the end of the first period!

Such a good hockey machine.....I wonder why you do not see the light on that team...
They will finish first in the Q.....you can bookmark this!

They are playing PEI for godsake...

chsb 01-13-2012 06:13 PM

6-0 now at 5 minutes in the 2nd....

chsb 01-13-2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaLaLaprise (Post 42428545)
They are playing PEI for godsake...

They still beat them flat out.....not even a contest.

Look at all the games played in Charlottetown so far and there is simply no team that gave them such a beating in a period and a half.

LaLaLaprise 01-13-2012 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chsb (Post 42429687)
They still beat them flat out.....not even a contest.

Look at all the games played in Charlottetown so far and there is simply no team that gave them such a beating in a period and a half.

It doesnt really matter..its PEI...they are last in the league...Shawi has a good team...but thats like mentioning how a Ferrari beat a Chevy in a drag race...