HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   The importance of Prust and Rupp (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1075133)

eco's bones 01-08-2012 05:47 PM

The importance of Prust and Rupp

Not only do they protect their teammates when **** happens--they can play quality minutes and contribute on the scoresheet now and again. They are not liabilities.

They make the team better. The pure fighter/goon is becoming more than less a marginalized player. (Orr has been waived. Steve McIntyre hardly plays. Godard is in the minors). The Rangers can roll 4 solid lines. Prust and Rupp can play in different situations. They are another reason this team is doing as well as it has.

NYR Viper 01-08-2012 05:50 PM

They need snarl on the back-end, and I mean on top of Sauer when he comes back. For everyone who watched the Pitt game it was very easy to see how Orpik and Engelland had a very big effect on their defensive zone.

eco's bones 01-08-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 (Post 42148433)
They need snarl on the back-end, and I mean on top of Sauer when he comes back. For everyone who watched the Pitt game it was very easy to see how Orpik and Engelland had a very big effect on their defensive zone.

I agree. Bickel helps though. At least he looks somewhat serviceable. And then there's McIlrath but that's another season.

Basically what I'm getting at though is a good team needs to be tough but their tough players need to have talent enough to play. Boston for instance--Chara and Lucic. Greg Campbell helps out. Thornton can play a bit as well but I think they could get by without him.

Our recent past--Orr was a real stretch as a player. Had skating issues. Brashear was just washed up and Booggard (RIP) was just not worth giving ice time too.

Brooklyn Ranger 01-08-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eco's bones (Post 42148217)
Not only do they protect their teammates when **** happens--they can play quality minutes and contribute on the scoresheet now and again. They are not liabilities.

They make the team better. The pure fighter/goon is becoming more than less a marginalized player. (Orr has been waived. Steve McIntyre hardly plays. Godard is in the minors). The Rangers can roll 4 solid lines. Prust and Rupp can play in different situations. They are another reason this team is doing as well as it has.

I agree. I always find it amusing when (some) posters talk about taking them out of the lineup so another grinder can play in their place. Listen to the way Tortorella talks about the two of them and you know they are not coming out of the lineup unless they are too beaten up to play.

we want cup 01-08-2012 06:12 PM

Championships are won when you have quality all the way through the lineup, and guys like these two are high quality 4th liners who will be even more helpful come playoff time.

Brooklyn Ranger 01-08-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eco's bones (Post 42149737)
I agree. Bickel helps though. At least he looks somewhat serviceable. And then there's McIlrath but that's another season.

Basically what I'm getting at though is a good team needs to be tough but their tough players need to have talent enough to play. Boston for instance--Chara and Lucic. Greg Campbell helps out. Thornton can play a bit as well but I think they could get by without him.

Our recent past--Orr was a real stretch as a player. Had skating issues. Brashear was just washed up and Booggard (RIP) was just not worth giving ice time too.

Orr's extremely lucky--Renney took him off the waiver wire and managed to get him skating well enough to have a pretty solid 5+ years in the NHL. Unfortunately, the game is changing and I doubt Orr plays regularly in NHL again (he was sent through waivers to the AHL in the last week).

Callagraves 01-08-2012 06:46 PM

We have tough guys who can play hockey. We don't need to give a roster spot to a player who's hardly a hockey player.

Draft Guru 01-08-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger (Post 42150121)
Orr's extremely lucky--Renney took him off the waiver wire and managed to get him skating well enough to have a pretty solid 5+ years in the NHL. Unfortunately, the game is changing and I doubt Orr plays regularly in NHL again (he was sent through waivers to the AHL in the last week).

I was very happy when Orr signed a 4 yr, $4M deal with Toronto. Never had much ability other than his fists, but he was a great teammate, worked hard and turned it into life-changing money. Unfortunately the game has changed and I agree, he may get a cup of coffee here and there over the next few years possibly but he'll never be an every day player again.

Zuccarello Awesome* 01-08-2012 06:51 PM

Both Rupp and Prust especially are underrated passers and I'm glad torts recognizes their ability and is "trying to find more ice time for them." We've got a team FULL of guys who I'm confident can step up in the playoffs and really contribute. No dead weight at all. Even Boyle is capable of stepping up and making an impact. He's just been wildly inconsistent this year.

eco's bones 01-08-2012 07:35 PM

As far as tough guys there is kind of a sea change going on now. Not enough to be big and bad--you've got to be able to play and at least potentially be a difference maker and this is why guys like Orr, Godard and McIntyre can no longer depend on an NHL job at least on a good team.

I want the Rangers to be a tough team to play against--one that will make you pay for taking liberties--in a variety of ways including physical payback. Just seemed watching Prust since we've gotten him--the 24/7 series where Rupp tells Shelley he's irrelevant to the outcome of any game he is in and then Rupp scores two goals in the Winter Classic and that kind of puts an exclamation point on it.

There seem to be a lot of reason why we're having a great year--and hopefully it continues--but this is another big one.

chip chipperson* 01-08-2012 08:13 PM

their name's are pruster and rupper.

DM Smiths 01-08-2012 11:55 PM

Refer to Winter-Classic-Rupp. He even put up a goal a few nights ago. I like him on the team.