HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Korpikoski and Finnish news (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=107678)

007 10-08-2004 02:19 PM

Korpikoski and Finnish news

Don't know if anyone saw this from McKeen's (free):

Korpikoski Emerging

The New York Rangers’ first-round pick in June, Lauri Korpikoski, continue his rocket-like rise in Finnish hockey. Korpikoski, who had not played a single game in the SM-Liiga before this season, has already established a solid position in TPS Turku’s lineup. So far, Korpikoski has picked up two assists in seven games and displayed his familiar style of bravely challenging opponents. He just needs to work on his finishing skills, as well as add muscle, which will make his hitting game all the more damaging.

http://mckeenshockey.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=338051

AG9NK35DT8* 10-08-2004 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007
Don't know if anyone saw this from McKeen's (free):

Korpikoski Emerging

The New York Rangers’ first-round pick in June, Lauri Korpikoski, continue his rocket-like rise in Finnish hockey. Korpikoski, who had not played a single game in the SM-Liiga before this season, has already established a solid position in TPS Turku’s lineup. So far, Korpikoski has picked up two assists in seven games and displayed his familiar style of bravely challenging opponents. He just needs to work on his finishing skills, as well as add muscle, which will make his hitting game all the more damaging.

http://mckeenshockey.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=338051

looks like this kid might be a good thing to early to tell but could definitly be a winner, maybe sather did one good thing

Fletch 10-08-2004 02:38 PM

Didn't realize...

the kid was a 'banger'. I like. Still would like to see a bit more production from the guy. Is he projected as a 'power' forward type by any chance? I've never heard such a label attached to him, but this description almost says such.

noodlemike 10-08-2004 02:53 PM

he sounds EXCATLY like jani rita...which is kinda scary once you think about it

NYR469 10-08-2004 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch
the kid was a 'banger'. I like. Still would like to see a bit more production from the guy. Is he projected as a 'power' forward type by any chance? I've never heard such a label attached to him, but this description almost says such.

production should come with time...he's an 18 year old rookie in the elite league so it is basically expected that he'll struggle a bit early in the year as he adjusts

Fletch 10-08-2004 03:26 PM

You would expect struggling..

offensively, although even at 18, I'd like to see more. Even a guy like Sundstrom had about .5+ points per game in the SEL when he was 18. Patience is needed, obviously because some develop quicker than others, so I guess I have to exercise that.

icthelight 10-08-2004 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR469
production should come with time...he's an 18 year old rookie in the elite league so it is basically expected that he'll struggle a bit early in the year as he adjusts

What is the average age of the players in this league?

BLACKBURN 10-08-2004 03:46 PM

"The other top young players around the league are familiar names. JYP’s Jarkko Immonen, another Ranger prospect, continues to perform well and has eight points after just six games, placing him in the top-five in the league’s scoring race."

Another nice part of the article. I have hope that immonen can translate his SM-Liga sucess to the North American game. Great to hear Koriposki is doing so well, is his name a Finish name by the way? It sounds Polish or something to me. Just curious you know :)

007 10-08-2004 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLACKBURN
"The other top young players around the league are familiar names. JYP’s Jarkko Immonen, another Ranger prospect, continues to perform well and has eight points after just six games, placing him in the top-five in the league’s scoring race."

Another nice part of the article. I have hope that immonen can translate his SM-Liga sucess to the North American game. Great to hear Koriposki is doing so well, is his name a Finish name by the way? It sounds Polish or something to me. Just curious you know :)

No, his name is definitely Finnish, at least when spelt correctly ;). A lot of Finnish last names are related to places. "Koski" means "rapids", and can be found at the end of names. I think it's actually the same as the Swedish "fors" as in Forsberg (or Bergfors). "Korpi" means wilderness or something like that.

I like the nickname someone on the 'other' board uses: The Korpedo. :banana:

BLACKBURN 10-09-2004 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007
No, his name is definitely Finnish, at least when spelt correctly ;). A lot of Finnish last names are related to places. "Koski" means "rapids", and can be found at the end of names. I think it's actually the same as the Swedish "fors" as in Forsberg (or Bergfors). "Korpi" means wilderness or something like that.

I like the nickname someone on the 'other' board uses: The Korpedo. :banana:

Thanks! I think I was thinking of Czerkawski (sp) :)

Ola 10-09-2004 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noodlemike
he sounds EXCATLY like jani rita...which is kinda scary once you think about it

Korpikoski doesn´t have all that many similarity with Rita. Rita has straigth ahead speed and some muscles but not much else. Korpikoski is a very complete hockey player who excells against better competition. I am impressed that Korpikosi has made the TPS men´s team and I hope that he manage to stay there for the rest of the year. Korpikoski´s timetable should IMO be that he in a year or two finds a role on the TPS team and establish himself either as a scorer or a great two way player. The tools he has will take him a long way.

Edge 10-09-2004 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AG9NK35DT8
looks like this kid might be a good thing to early to tell but could definitly be a winner, maybe sather did one good thing

Well credit where credit is due, I think he did a good job in this draft. Some players i might not have taken but overall pretty good.

Fish 10-09-2004 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icthelight

It's a completely open league like the NHL...they have players from 17/18 through to late 30s.

007 10-09-2004 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish
It's a completely open league like the NHL...they have players from 17/18 through to late 30s.

I think Raimo Helminen is still playing out there: he's 40. I didn't realise, but he was actually drafted by the Rangers in '84 and played parts of 2 seasons here.

Fish 10-09-2004 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007
I think Raimo Helminen is still playing out there: he's 40. I didn't realise, but he was actually drafted by the Rangers in '84 and played parts of 2 seasons here.

Ah yes...87 games for the Rangers 12 goals and 34 assists...back in 1985-86 and 1986-87. Perhaps the scariest part is that he is younger than Messier...by just over 3 years.

Edge 10-09-2004 12:54 PM

I remember seeing him play. Man he could fly.

f1nn 10-09-2004 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icthelight

alot of the players are between 20-30