HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Flyers All-Star Weekend Reps (Giroux, Timonen, Read, Couturier) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1078741)

GKJ 01-12-2012 11:36 AM

Flyers All-Star Weekend Reps (Giroux, Timonen, Read, Couturier)

RT @DNFlyers: Claude Giroux, Kimmo Timonen are your All-Stars. Matt Read and Sean Couturier will both be in the rookie game.

---------------------------------------
EDIT:

Info: http://www.nhl.com/ice/eventhome.htm...=/allstar/2012

PRE-GAME HIGHLIGHTS:
  • 2012 NHL All-Star Fantasy Draft: Thursday, January 26 @ 8:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m ET
  • 2012 NHL All-Star Skills Competition: Saturday, January 28 @ 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m ET
  • Television: CBC, RDS, NBC Sports Network

GAME INFORMATION:
  • Date: Sunday, January 29, 2012
  • Time: 4:00 p.m. ET
  • Site: Scotiabank Place
  • Host: Ottawa Senators
  • Television: CBC, RDS, NBC Sports Network

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=7...id=DL|NHL|home

Quote:

Note: These six players were named to the 2012 Tim Horton's NHL All-Star Game through All-Star Fan Balloting presented by Sirius/XM. The remaining 36 All-Stars were announced Jan. 12, with captains getting named in the near future. Teams will be selected by the Captains at the 2012 NHL All-Star Player Fantasy Draft on Thursday, Jan. 26.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=611247

Quote:

The Vancouver Canucks, who started the day with the best record in the Western Conference, also lead in another category -- most players added to the All-Star Game.

Four members of the Canucks were among the 36 veterans and 12 rookies announced by the NHL for the 2012 Tim Hortons NHL All-Star Game, to be played Jan. 29 in Ottawa.

Players from all 30 teams will be represented at the game, with four members of the Canucks added to the pool of players Thursday -- forwards Henrik and Daniel Sedin, defenseman Alexander Edler and forward Cody Hodgson, who was one of the dozen rookies selected to play in the game and the 2012 Molson Canadian NHL All-Star Skills Competition, to be held Jan. 28.
Quote:

After captains and alternate captains are named, the rosters will be picked at the 2012 NHL All-Star Player Fantasy Draft, to be held Jan. 26.

BillDineen 01-12-2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GKJ (Post 42345609)
RT @DNFlyers: Claude Giroux, Kimmo Timonen are your All-Stars. Matt Read and Sean Couturier will both be in the rookie game.

Really happy about Couturier. Hopefully he shows some of his offense in the game.

chimrichalds18 01-12-2012 11:40 AM

Kimmo deserves it. Great to see he's recognized.

MiamiScreamingEagles 01-12-2012 11:40 AM

From Anthony @ Delco Times:

Quote:

NHL will release full list at 1 p.m. But 4 #Flyers all stars - again, Giroux, Timonen, Read and Couturier.
Hartnell didn't make it.

OriginJM 01-12-2012 11:43 AM

Aw, Harts deserved it.

GKJ 01-12-2012 11:44 AM

Hartnell not going is a complete joke.

http://hockeyprospectus.com/sortable/

If it wasn't for a slow start, he would be right up with Datsyuk in points

RT @euroflyers: Back in November Timonen said he wouldn't go to the ASG if he was chosen.

Prongo 01-12-2012 11:49 AM

I don't think Kimmo will go.

https://twitter.com/#!/euroflyers/st...17414198808578

Quote:

Back in November Timonen said he wouldn't go to the ASG if he was chosen
https://twitter.com/#!/BroadStHockey...18186252734465

Quote:

Timonen on ASG: "It's hard to say no if you get chosen, but ... it's time to heal injuries. When that time comes, I'll take a look at it."

Flyerfan4life 01-12-2012 11:50 AM

can players decline to go ???

cheesesteak 01-12-2012 11:54 AM

Nice to see Couturier got in the rookies. Hopefully if Timonen doesn't go Hartnell gets to take his place he deserves to be there.

BernieParent 01-12-2012 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life (Post 42346415)
can players decline to go ???

They need a medical reason, otherwise they could be suspended for the first game after the All-Star break. It happened with Datsyuk and Lidstrom.

ORYX 01-12-2012 11:59 AM

The NHL.com article only lists Claude Giroux as an all-star none of the rest. Though it also doesnt list all of the all-stars, just a bunch of them. Perhaps they just didnt mention the others for whatever stupid reason they have.

MiamiScreamingEagles 01-12-2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BernieParent (Post 42346909)
They need a medical reason, otherwise they could be suspended for the first game after the All-Star break. It happened with Datsyuk and Lidstrom.

And yet the language within the CBA stipulates that the player will be "asked to participate."

JohnnyOnTheSpot 01-12-2012 12:12 PM

I'm sure when one of the normal 15 or so players drops out, Harts will get the nod. I can't believe Selanne got snubbed, again!

Beef Invictus 01-12-2012 12:12 PM

Well, Timonen has that wrist thingy.

JohnnyOnTheSpot 01-12-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beef Invictus (Post 42347715)
Well, Timonen has that wrist thingy.

My thoughts are that Selanne and Lidstrom rejected the invitation, probably trying to avoid 1) the negative coverage from last year and 2) the fallout from the MLB's all-star game. I'm wondering if Kimmo actually agreed to go. He's a fan friendly guy, wouldn't surprise me at all. He was hogging it up at the Flyers skill comp last year.

bryzgalovsky* 01-12-2012 12:18 PM

stupid all star game

alex ovechkin should not be going and hartnell should

brayden schenn shouldn't have gotten injured so he could be one of the rookies going too, it would have been sick if all 3 of them went

MiamiScreamingEagles 01-12-2012 12:19 PM

The policy enacted at the 2008 GM meetings, by Bettman and supposedly acknowledged by GMs, stated that players can't miss the All-Star Game unless they are absent from their team's last regular season game. If the player appears in the final game prior to the break, he must play in the ASG or will be suspended from the first game following the ASG. I'm not sure if that has been modified since those meetings. Perhaps if a player got injured during that last game, medical documentation equals a permission slip.

RJ8812 01-12-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheesesteak (Post 42346647)
Nice to see Couturier got in the rookies. Hopefully if Timonen doesn't go Hartnell gets to take his place he deserves to be there.

If Timonen doesn't go, a defenseman will replace him....

The only way Hartnell will go is if a forward declines to go

orangecrush8 01-12-2012 12:32 PM

I think the most shocking player left off the team is Jordan Eberle

10th in points overall but not on the all star team. Crazy

Edit - I didnt realize Eberle got hurt a couple games ago. That probably played a significant role

FlyersFan61290 01-12-2012 01:14 PM

If the NHL doesn't want Hartnell there for some reason, ok, whatever but to give Ovi the nod over him is just moronic. What a joke. Yeah I know he might still make it if somebody declines to go but still.

96 01-12-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot (Post 42347889)
My thoughts are that Selanne and Lidstrom rejected the invitation, probably trying to avoid 1) the negative coverage from last year and 2) the fallout from the MLB's all-star game. I'm wondering if Kimmo actually agreed to go. He's a fan friendly guy, wouldn't surprise me at all. He was hogging it up at the Flyers skill comp last year.

What negative coverage and MLB fall-out are you referring to?

drownedsailors 01-12-2012 02:04 PM

ugh **** the All-stars...how cool would it be to have the Olympics instead of this trash.

JohnnyOnTheSpot 01-12-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 96 (Post 42351407)
What negative coverage and MLB fall-out are you referring to?

NHL wise I'm referring to the "suspensions" of players who sat, and I thought I remember Bettman complaining and trying to threaten players, as well.

With the MLB, I think like 30% of the roster bailed, and like 3-4 Yankees refused to show up. I also remember 2 of them (I think) using the time for a vacation, and just a ton of backlash about how they don't care about the fans, yadda yadda. Especially since the all-star game in baseball actually matters.

mirimon 01-12-2012 02:07 PM

I'm happy for the guys if they want to go. It's nice to see some recognition going Timonen's way, guess it has a lot to do with Pronger missing from the lineup. I don't really care for the ASG though, and kind of hope that Timonen can get some needed rest instead.

It's not the game itself that is the problem, it's that if they don't go there guys can have almost a full week that can be fully focused on rehabbing, or taking care of some of the nagging injuries that always come during a season. For a veteran like Timonen that could be very useful.

usahockey22flyers 01-12-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drownedsailors (Post 42353725)
ugh **** the All-stars...how cool would it be to have the Olympics instead of this trash.

Yes!!!! Can't wait for 2014.