HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Calgary Flames (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   News Article: Iginla Overrated.... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1078825)

flamesfever 01-12-2012 01:53 PM

Iginla Overrated....
 
I just read this article on slam.ca

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../19233216.html

I have to agree with Eric Francis...Iginla overrated is ridiculous. Wasn't he like 8th in scoring last year; had his standard slow start but was also hurt in the pre-season.

How can someone be overrated with this stat:

"Iginla is one of only 10 in the game’s history to have 10 consecutive 30 or more goal seasons"

I'm not sure who these players are that voted him into this group, but they need to give their head a shake. Some of the players like Jay Bo deserve to be there. Ollie is playing up to his contract value right now so i don't think he should be there either.

Dion...well he is playing much better this year with better stats and overall play...but i think he deserves to be there; but what about a Ville Leino, Ehrhoff, Zubrus, Bryan Allen, James Wisniewski, Horcoff, Devin Setoguchi....

SmellOfVictory 01-12-2012 02:17 PM

One of the other HF posters summed it up nicely in a thread about this SI article: the word "overrated" is stupid (he actually described it more along the lines of 'vague', but in the context of determining a ranked list, they're equally valid descriptions). No one can agree on what overrated actually means, much less the specific criteria that should dictate whether or not someone/something is overrated. Take a word with a vague meaning and then use it in a poll of a group of scholastically unimpressive individuals like professional hockey players, and you get a stupid list with nonsensical results.

Stewie Griffin 01-12-2012 02:31 PM

What I want to know is how Scott Gomez is overrated, and by whom?

That should tell you all you need to know about the credibility of these rankings...

King In The North 01-12-2012 02:45 PM

Overpaid=Gomez. People like to think overpaid=overrated.

MarkGio 01-12-2012 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich0591 (Post 42352681)
Overpaid=Gomez. People like to think overpaid=overrated.

Yeah. What rated system is out there that ranks these players, thereby providing a benchmark for underrated or overrated? EA sports?

Gomez and Horcoff are definitely not overrated. Since they've been rated as **** players by nearly everyone, they've fit the bill nicely

Trae 01-12-2012 07:56 PM

Francis said that only about 2-3 people voted Iginla, the votes were that spread out.

AfricanHerbsman 01-13-2012 12:16 AM

YA 501 goals and over 1000 points. 10 player to score 30 goals+ in 10 years straight! ya over rate this

tyflames 01-13-2012 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cokedick (Post 42391079)
YA 501 goals and over 1000 points. 10 player to score 30 goals+ in 10 years straight! ya over rate this

^ this. Especially racking up points without being surrounded by star caliber linemates. Iginla deserves all the praise he is given, furthest thing from overrated.

Northern Heat 01-16-2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyflames (Post 42395729)
Especially racking up points without being surrounded by star caliber linemates. Iginla deserves all the praise he is given, furthest thing from overrated.

How can someone call the guy overrated???? Every damn year he racks up goals, while opposing D-men focus all attention on him since he's the only true scoring threat. Not to mention 30+ and 40+ goal years while these same dumb-***** are calling him too old. Those same dumbasses keep posting threads about how Iggy should be traded to their team....???

Those who think Iggy is overrated should give their head a shake, and then put their helmets back on so they don't damage the cranium anymore than they already have.

tyflames 01-16-2012 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northern Heat (Post 42576741)
How can someone call the guy overrated???? Every damn year he racks up goals, while opposing D-men focus all attention on him since he's the only true scoring threat. Not to mention 30+ and 40+ goal years while these same dumb-***** are calling him too old. Those same dumbasses keep posting threads about how Iggy should be traded to their team....???

Those who think Iggy is overrated should give their head a shake, and then put their helmets back on so they don't damage the cranium anymore than they already have.

If your referring to me, since I was quoted, I don't think he's overrated at all.

Northern Heat 01-17-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyflames (Post 42606935)
If your referring to me, since I was quoted, I don't think he's overrated at all.

Wasn't referring to you. I was adding to your point

AJMHABS 01-17-2012 12:11 PM

How the **** is Iginla overrated? This guy is one of the best forwards in the league and shows that year after year. TBH he is the ``PERFECT`` forward that every team would absolutely love to have, including MTL. But, this is a case where 161 players overrate the need to give their opinion, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.