HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Future considerations (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=107943)

Zonkie 10-10-2004 12:32 PM

Future considerations
 
Sometimes players are traded for future considerations. I guess it can mean a lot of different things but Im wondering if there have been any wellknown succesfully trades using this method instead of a real playertrade.

DontCallPlayersStuds 10-10-2004 01:01 PM

IIRC, the Preds got Kimmo Timonen and Jan Vopat for "future considerations" from the Kings. The FC turned out to be an eighth round pick.

Not a bad deal, I don't think :)

Classic Devil 10-10-2004 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomorekids
IIRC, the Preds got Kimmo Timonen and Jan Vopat for "future considerations" from the Kings. The FC turned out to be an eighth round pick.

Not a bad deal, I don't think :)

:amazed: :amazed: :amazed:

No way.

LA got hosed.

DaveyCrockett 10-10-2004 01:20 PM

Winnipeg traded Draper to Detroit for futures that turned out to be a dollar. I'm not sure if it was Canadian or American.

ehc73 10-10-2004 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flame_Star_Devil
:amazed: :amazed: :amazed:

No way.

LA got hosed.

He's a Nashville fan, of course it was a good deal in his view. :)

CoolDude* 10-10-2004 04:46 PM

New York Rangers traded Louie DeBrusk, Bernie Nicholls and Steven Rice to the Edmonton Oilers for Mark Messier and future considerations (Jeff Beukeboum for David Shaw, November 12, 1991).

Bring Back Bucky 10-10-2004 05:13 PM

Future considerations used to be used to cheat- one time a vancouver - hartford deal at the deadline really "included" Jim Sandlak to the golf course bound Whale. But it was called future considerations so that Vancouver could use him for the playoffs that spring, then after their elimination the deal was finished. The league did something to prevent / discourage that type of circumvention of the intent of the rules.

andora 10-10-2004 10:21 PM

yeah i remember hearing about that sandlak thing.. boy, if i was a gm, i would have exploited that one completely...

Zetterberg4Captain* 10-10-2004 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveyCrockett
Winnipeg traded Draper to Detroit for futures that turned out to be a dollar. I'm not sure if it was Canadian or American.

Holy ****! I knew about this but wow, $1 for a guy who scored 24 goals and won the Selke in the same year!

MrMastodonFarm* 10-10-2004 10:35 PM

Robyn Regehr was the future considerations in the Theo Fluery trade to the Av's.

Seachd 10-11-2004 01:48 AM

There was a very good article a year or two ago somewhere on ESPN.com that tried to explain exactly what "future considerations" was. It was pretty interesting.

DaveyCrockett 10-12-2004 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm
Robyn Regehr was the future considerations in the Theo Fluery trade to the Av's.

Its not like he was given away. He was a key component. It was either Regehr or Skoula.

skariya18 10-12-2004 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seachd
There was a very good article a year or two ago somewhere on ESPN.com that tried to explain exactly what "future considerations" was. It was pretty interesting.

I managed to dig this up...enjoy!

http://espn.go.com/nhl/draft2003/col...m/1570024.html

salty justice 10-12-2004 02:39 AM

Ah the aura of a Mikov Smithov trade :bonk:

jumptheshark 10-12-2004 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zonkie
Sometimes players are traded for future considerations. I guess it can mean a lot of different things but Im wondering if there have been any wellknown succesfully trades using this method instead of a real playertrade.

The best FC considerations are still

1--A bus tossed in
2--A bag of pucks and food(european trade)
3--1 dollor
4--Tix to the Superbowl
5--Team A trades player 1 to team B--so that Team B would not trade player 2 to team c for player 3---forcing(somewhat) team C to trade player 3 to team A for player 4(this is a Sather special)

Papadice 10-12-2004 07:59 AM

Not NHL based, but back when I played Tier II Junior in the MJAHL, a player was traded from Moncton to Halifax for pizza... The agreement was that the player would be traded to Halifax and then the next time Moncton played in Halifax, the Halifax team would pay for Moncton's pizza for the bus trip home.... :lol

SonOfWade 10-12-2004 09:05 AM

Strangest future considerations trade I've seen involved John Tucker of the Buffalo Sabres. In January of 1990, Tucker was traded to the Caps for "future considerations". In July of 1990, Tucker was then traded from the Caps back to the Sabres for "past considerations". So, in essence, he was traded for himself.

MrMastodonFarm* 10-12-2004 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveyCrockett
Its not like he was given away. He was a key component. It was either Regehr or Skoula.

I never suggested he was given away. I was just stating that at the time of the trade their was a future considerations portion, and it was Robyn Regehr.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.