HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Ottawa Senators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   The Difference between the Ottawa Senators and the Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1081935)

HometownHockey 01-16-2012 09:23 AM

The Difference between the Ottawa Senators and the Edmonton Oilers
 
The Difference between the Ottawa Senators and the Edmonton Oilers

By Rob Soria

Heading into this season, many felt the Edmonton Oilers and Ottawa Senators would struggle mightily in their respective conferences. I expected the Oilers to be the better of the two clubs this season but the Senators would take strides towards becoming a much improved club, as early as next season. After losing their first five games of the season, the Sens turned things around and like Edmonton, found themselves near the top of the NHL standings heading into November. Not surprisingly, both clubs slid down the standings as the season moved along but there has been a big difference in how far each club has slipped. While Edmonton has plummeted down to thirteenth in the West, the Senators have managed to stay in contention and are currently in fifth spot in the East. So what has been the big difference between the two sides in the last two and a half months? That answer is easy...the play of their veterans.

Read more...
http://www.ourhometown.ca/sports/RS0094.php

http://www.ourhometown.ca/images/photos/Ott_Edm_L.jpg

Stylizer1 01-16-2012 09:26 AM

Not you again. :shakehead

Yokai 01-16-2012 09:39 AM

I know! I know!

Ottawa = Wears Red/White/Black
Edmonton = Wears Blue/Orange/White

Also:

The Edmonton Oilers play in the Western Conference, where as the Ottawa Senators play in the Eastern Conference.

Perhaps you could make a less vague topic title such as: Why the Edmonton Oilers continue to play horribly depressing hockey, and why the Ottawa Senators actually win games.

Xspyrit 01-16-2012 09:41 AM

This team has been underrated all the way

Minus :

Fisher, Kelly, Ruutu, Kovalev, Shannon, Campoli, Elliott, Clouston

Plus :

Turris, Smith, Greening, Condra, Butler, Cowen, Anderson, MaClean


A wind of change/fresh air/youth movement and a brand new coaching staff.
Also, Anderson is giving us the best goaltending we had since Hasek.
Clouston was not a great coach, MaClean seems to be the real deal.
Finally, the team is a lot more healthy than it was last year.

Edmonton sucks, sorry. But they should end up being good with yet another top-5 pick... Edmonton is rebuilding "the loser way" while Ottawa is rebuilding the "winner way".

BonkTastic 01-16-2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WantEggRoll (Post 42568749)
I know! I know!

Ottawa = Wears Red/White/Black
Edmonton = Wears Blue/Orange/White

Also:

The Edmonton Oilers play in the Western Conference, where as the Ottawa Senators play in the Eastern Conference.

Perhaps you could make a less vague topic title such as: Why the Edmonton Oilers continue to play horribly depressing hockey, and why the Ottawa Senators actually win games.

In before HappyGilmour:

The Oilers lack elite stamina.

Discuss.

hawthy 01-16-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Heading into this season, many felt the Edmonton Oilers and Ottawa Senators would struggle mightily in their respective conferences. I expected the Oilers to be the better of the two clubs this season but the Senators would take strides towards becoming a much improved club, as early as next season. After losing their first five games of the season, the Sens turned things around and like Edmonton, found themselves near the top of the NHL standings heading into November. Not surprisingly, both clubs slid down the standings as the season moved along but there has been a big difference in how far each club has slipped. While Edmonton has plummeted down to thirteenth in the West, the Senators have managed to stay in contention and are currently in fifth spot in the East. So what has been the big difference between the two sides in the last two and a half months? That answer is easy...the play of their veterans.
Not even close.

topshelf15 01-16-2012 10:13 AM

Better management ,scouting, development.Not to mention we had a better core in which to facilitate movement and development for youth.:nod:

H2O 01-16-2012 10:16 AM

So Ottawa's vets are better than Edmonton's vets? I could've told you that before the season starts.

topshelf15 01-16-2012 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H2O (Post 42569413)
So Ottawa's vets are better than Edmonton's vets? I could've told you that before the season starts.

Add to this young impacting players ,on both teams is equal .Then add some prime vets like 9MM Spezza and this is why ottawa moves even further ahead:nod:

HappyGilmour 01-16-2012 10:38 AM

Hi all,

The most glaring difference to me is the lack of elite level stamina on the Oilers.

Discuss.

2CHAINZ 01-16-2012 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OurHometown (Post 42568469)
The Difference between the Ottawa Senators and the Edmonton Oilers


koreaboy 01-16-2012 11:09 AM

defence corps. their defence corps sucks. they don't have elite young defencemen like EK, and perhaps even cowen. if you somehow transported cowen and EK into their lineup to replace their bottom pair, they'd be pretty damn good and in great shape for the future.

Afro Thunder* 01-16-2012 11:13 AM

In a rebuild, you build from the net out.
In a rebuild you also have to able to draft beyond just your lottery pick and finds some gems in the later rounds.

Daugavins, Smith, Greening, Condra all drafted later than the 2nd round.
Also free agents like Butler, DaCosta, Winchester.

FreakyBunny 01-16-2012 11:32 AM

What did I miss? I've been in a coma for the last four months. Thank God the first thing I read was this artical! We were number 1 in November? And then we slid? What a time to be alive.

Rhino Reilly 01-16-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patizzie (Post 42570725)

DEE

JAY

KHALED!!!

2CHAINZ 01-16-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IloveChrisNeil (Post 42571639)
DEE

JAY

KHALED!!!

WE THE BEST MAN!!!!

Stick To Your Guns 01-16-2012 11:50 AM

The huge difference is the veterans, Edmonton also lacks a number 1 centre. Spezza>any Oiler.

Beville 01-16-2012 11:56 AM

Oilers have always sucked.

:facepalm:

JonnyMacSen 01-16-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Afro Thunder (Post 42570965)
In a rebuild, you build from the net out.
In a rebuild you also have to able to draft beyond just your lottery pick and finds some gems in the later rounds.

Came in here to say this, they did the opposite and built from forward to back.

RappinHobo 01-16-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyMacSen (Post 42572471)
Came in here to say this, they did the opposite and built from forward to back.

More like they built from forward and just ignore every other aspect.

Sovereign 01-16-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stick To Your Guns (Post 42572069)
The huge difference is the veterans, Edmonton also lacks a number 1 centre. Spezza>any Oiler.


Ryan Nugent-Hopkins says hello.

Rhino Reilly 01-16-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karma Assassin (Post 42572969)
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins says hello.

At this point in their careers Spezza >> RNH.

If a rookie is the closest thing you have you're not going be all that successful.

Curtinho 01-16-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karma Assassin (Post 42572969)
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins says hello.

RNH hasn't proven anything. He's played 38 games...and now he's injured. He's certainly not on Spezza's level as MoO has suggested.

On top of this whoever said that you build from the back out...that's not even true. You need talent everywhere -- it's not about where you build from it's what you end up with. You need high level talent everywhere on the ice.

Would you say that Pittsburgh built from the back out? Chicago? There are more examples, but yeah.

You have to be good at drafting from the top to the bottom. You need good amateur and pro scouting.

There are so many things that go into building a great team. It's not as simple as saying 'you build from the back out.'

Senateurs 01-16-2012 12:25 PM

Edmonton thought they could put the weight of their franchise on the shoulders of teenagers during the rebuild.

Ottawa knew they needed veterans to carry the team and let young guys progress during the rebuild.

JonnyMacSen 01-16-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJam613 (Post 42573387)
RNH hasn't proven anything. He's played 38 games...and now he's injured. He's certainly not on Spezza's level as MoO has suggested.

On top of this whoever said that you build from the back out...that's not even true. You need talent everywhere -- it's not about where you build from it's what you end up with. You need high level talent everywhere on the ice.

Would you say that Pittsburgh built from the back out? Chicago? There are more examples, but yeah.

You have to be good at drafting from the top to the bottom. You need good amateur and pro scouting.

There are so many things that go into building a great team. It's not as simple as saying 'you build from the back out.'

Its certainly not set in stone, but dman and goalies tend to take longer to develope, obviously you need good scouting and a balanced lineup, but when your rebuilding you should consider these factors.

FYI Pitsburg drafted Fluery and Letang, Chicago had Seabrook, Keith and signed Neimi etc, just sayin


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:45 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.