HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Penguins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Shero Interview on Madden (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1082165)

Jules Winnfield 01-16-2012 02:44 PM

Shero Interview on Madden
 
(Currently on now)

Said he doesn't foresee any circumstance this season moving Morrow, Despres, Harrington, or Bennett at the trade deadline. (Glad to see him get this out of the way now based on some of the requests on the main trade board).

Discussing the players meeting now. Shero said his information (from the players) is that the players didn't have a meeting to discuss the captaincy.

fragmag 01-16-2012 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield (Post 42581259)
(Currently on now)

Said he doesn't foresee any circumstance this season moving Morrow, Despres, Harrington, or Bennett at the trade deadline. (Glad to see him get this out of the way now based on some of the requests on the main trade board).

Discussing the players meeting now. Shero said his information (from the players) is that the players didn't have a meeting to discuss the captaincy.

Man this players meeting really has taken on a life of it's own.

I missed the interview, but did Shero mention anything about making any moves before the deadline?

Jules Winnfield 01-16-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fragmag (Post 42581587)
Man this players meeting really has taken on a life of it's own.

I missed the interview, but did Shero mention anything about making any moves before the deadline?

He said the deadline was February 27th and it's too soon to evaluate moves. Needs to see where the team will be at in the standings in the next few weeks. Seemed kinda hesitant to answer though. He stumbled a bit.

When he was mentioning young players he won't move, I thought it was telling that he didn't include Tangradi in the list.

mpp9 01-16-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield (Post 42581259)
(Currently on now)

Said he doesn't foresee any circumstance this season moving Morrow, Despres, Harrington, or Bennett at the trade deadline. (Glad to see him get this out of the way now based on some of the requests on the main trade board).

Discussing the players meeting now. Shero said his information (from the players) is that the players didn't have a meeting to discuss the captaincy.

Intriguing Tangradi wasn't mentioned in that group. I'd definitely say he's our main piece. Pair him with some salary going the other way.

Jules Winnfield 01-16-2012 02:55 PM

Also said Letang will start skating with the team tomorrow.

shureshot66 01-16-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fragmag (Post 42581587)
Man this players meeting really has taken on a life of it's own.

I missed the interview, but did Shero mention anything about making any moves before the deadline?

Yup. Said they had been mapping things out with the pro scouts the past few days. The tricky part, he said, is setting up different plans of attack depending on who all is healthy and when because of cap purposes.

As mentioned in other threads, one of those injured guys (Letang) is set to return to practice tomorrow.

Jules Winnfield 01-16-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fragmag (Post 42581587)
Man this players meeting really has taken on a life of it's own.

He also said he couldn't foresee the players on this team having a meeting like this. He said all of them know this is Sid's team.

Shero made a lot of good points. Said he talked to Dejan for 45 minutes over the weekend and had a good conversation with him. I'm wondering if some players didn't just feel like pulling Dejan's leg on this in sarcasm since the team was in a slump. Then again, why all the information and Sid skating right after the article?

Jules Winnfield 01-16-2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpp9 (Post 42581717)
Intriguing Tangradi wasn't mentioned in that group. I'd definitely say he's our main piece. Pair him with some salary going the other way.

I remember a few years ago when Shero was discussing the core of the team and omitted Ryan Whitney's name. Soon after, Whitney was dealt to Anaheim :sarcasm:

When he was discussing the young players, I kinda had that same feeling that he doesn't think much of Tangradi so far and would move him in a deal.

fragmag 01-16-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield (Post 42581709)
He said the deadline was February 27th and it's too soon to evaluate moves. Needs to see where the team will be at in the standings in the next few weeks. Seemed kinda hesitant to answer though. He stumbled a bit.

When he was mentioning young players he won't move, I thought it was telling that he didn't include Tangradi in the list.

Thanks, tuned in to late to hear it.

fragmag 01-16-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield (Post 42581915)
He also said he couldn't foresee the players on this team having a meeting like this. He said all of them know this is Sid's team.

Shero made a lot of good points. Said he talked to Dejan for 45 minutes over the weekend and had a good conversation with him. I'm wondering if some players didn't just feel like pulling Dejan's leg on this in sarcasm since the team was in a slump. Then again, why all the information and Sid skating right after the article?

You have to believe the players in this mess I guess, but it's confusing and without any clear facts other than what you can read for yourself, it's hard to really know what is going on. Right?

Uncle Jorgi 01-16-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield (Post 42582155)
I remember a few years ago when Shero was discussing the core of the team and omitted Ryan Whitney's name. Soon after, Whitney was dealt to Anaheim :sarcasm:

When he was discussing the young players, I kinda had that same feeling that he doesn't think much of Tangradi so far and would move him in a deal.

Thanks for the updates, Jules. :)

Erz8771 01-16-2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield (Post 42581745)
Also said Letang will start skating with the team tomorrow.

Great news. Cant wait to see him back in the line up. Hopefully its soon.

SCUDeriMISSILE 01-16-2012 03:50 PM

Said that Letang is fully cleared and can play very soon, but not Tuesday.

Jag68Sid87 01-16-2012 03:54 PM

Maybe it's just me but I'd rather trade Scott Harrington than either Tangradi or the 2012 or 2013 first round pick. Based on team needs going forward.

I also think Harrington has as much value right now as he may ever have.

mpp9 01-16-2012 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 (Post 42584653)
Maybe it's just me but I'd rather trade Scott Harrington than either Tangradi or the 2012 or 2013 first round pick. Based on team needs going forward.

I also think Harrington has as much value right now as he may ever have.

I have a feeling they're holding onto all of their depth on D b/c they'll be moving one of the top 4 in the next couple years.

Any added value Harrington has with his performance at the WJC is going to be outweighed by how management feels about him. Especially with how well he played at camp. His game is going to translate very well to the NHL imo.

DegenX 01-16-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpp9 (Post 42581717)
Intriguing Tangradi wasn't mentioned in that group. I'd definitely say he's our main piece. Pair him with some salary going the other way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield (Post 42582155)
I remember a few years ago when Shero was discussing the core of the team and omitted Ryan Whitney's name. Soon after, Whitney was dealt to Anaheim :sarcasm:

When he was discussing the young players, I kinda had that same feeling that he doesn't think much of Tangradi so far and would move him in a deal.

I've kind of wondered if Tangradi has been being showcased, mostly because they've scratched Vitale and kept him up. Then again, I've tried not to read too much into it.

MrBurgundy* 01-16-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeganX (Post 42586195)
I've kind of wondered if Tangradi has been being showcased, mostly because they've scratched Vitale and kept him up. Then again, I've tried not to read too much into it.

Hard to be showcased on the 4th line, but at least he's playing well and making things happen on almost every shift he's out there.

Hottubber 01-16-2012 04:40 PM

I just think that if the Pens were looking for a prospect to trade for, a guy like Tangradi would be someone I think they would target. A bigger body, decent hands, isnt slow, and plays decently physical.

It would depend on who we are targeting and what the other team wants, but i would much rather give up a d prospect (harrington, bortuzzo, strait). The last 2 are going to have to go thru waivers next year and there definitely wont b room for both on the pens roster. We are extremely thin up front on prospects and need to trade from our depth on the back end.

Tangradi isnt wowing anyone but his play looks much better along with his effort

mpp9 01-16-2012 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeganX (Post 42586195)
I've kind of wondered if Tangradi has been being showcased, mostly because they've scratched Vitale and kept him up. Then again, I've tried not to read too much into it.

I think they're just giving him a shot to show what he has. He's an NHL player.

Tangradi+salary for Ruutu makes sense for both sides. I honestly hope TK turns it up the next month so Shero has a tough decision to make. Use him in a top 6 role with a healthy lineup or move him for a rental.

MtlPenFan 01-16-2012 04:46 PM

No way I'd trade any of Harrington, Morrow or Despres for anyone other than an established, top line winger who's already signed to a few years. I don't give a **** if we make the playoffs, I don't want any of those guys traded for a rental.

The prospect of having 3, or even 4 of our top 6 defenseman a couple years down the road signed to their entry level deals is too enticing, considering the amount of money it will free up for forwards.

DegenX 01-16-2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBurgundy (Post 42586313)
Hard to be showcased on the 4th line, but at least he's playing well and making things happen on almost every shift he's out there.

Showcased in the sense of being displayed to show his better qualities/value. But, like I said, not reading into it too much.

Also, for anyone who would like to give it a listen, here's a link to the interview:
http://www.1059thex.com/player/?stat...l&mid=21733161

Mr Jiggyfly 01-16-2012 04:54 PM

I caught the end of the Rossi interview on Madden about an hour ago....

Madden said he knows for a fact there was a meeting and Rossi wouldn't deny it either...

Commence with the fat jokes...

mpp9 01-16-2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MtlPenFan (Post 42586833)
No way I'd trade any of Harrington, Morrow or Despres for anyone other than an established, top line winger who's already signed to a few years. I don't give a **** if we make the playoffs, I don't want any of those guys traded for a rental.

The prospect of having 3, or even 4 of our top 6 defenseman a couple years down the road signed to their entry level deals is too enticing, considering the amount of money it will free up for forwards.

Those three guys are going to have very different paths to the NHL imo. Despres is ready right now. Morrow will have at least a full season at WBS to get top minutes and be groomed to be the PP specialist we need. Harrington, I believe, has another year at junior.

All three have 2 more years following this season on their ELCs. So I doubt we see all three of them here by then.

But we'll certainly have some cap savings in the coming years when we start using our depth in the organization.


As for your comment on the postseason. I agree, we shouldn't be moving any of those three for a rental. Selanne aside.

Jag68Sid87 01-16-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MtlPenFan (Post 42586833)
No way I'd trade any of Harrington, Morrow or Despres for anyone other than an established, top line winger who's already signed to a few years. I don't give a **** if we make the playoffs, I don't want any of those guys traded for a rental.

The prospect of having 3, or even 4 of our top 6 defenseman a couple years down the road signed to their entry level deals is too enticing, considering the amount of money it will free up for forwards.

Yeah, I never suggested trading Harrington for a Ruutu or some such. I was thinking more along the lines of a similar prospect up front, or young NHL forward on an ELC. Not a rental.

If the plan is to deal from the NHL roster, in an old-school player for player NHL trade, I'm all for it. Our roster has needed some tweaking for a while now, and not just by adding pieces. Subtracting, too.

Jag68Sid87 01-16-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpp9 (Post 42587293)
All three have 2 more years following this season on their ELCs. So I doubt we see all three of them here by then.

Despres has 2 more years left on his ELC after this season. Morrow and Harrington haven't started their ELC clock yet.

Unless you meant something else, in which case disregard what I said.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:31 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.