HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Rangers players that should be honored with a rafter banner (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1083683)

The Lone Ranger 01-18-2012 03:22 AM

Rangers players that should be honored with a rafter banner

Just wondering if anyone is aware of any reasons why the Rangers organization haven't honored the following players with a rafter banner.

Phil Esposito #77

Gump Worsley #1

Brad Park #2

True, #1 and 2 are already retired for Giacomin and Leetch, respectively. But the team has already retired #9 for both Andy Bathgate and Adam Graves. No reason why Worsley and Park (both HOFers) shouldn't likewise be honored for immortality in MSG.

Zil 01-18-2012 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger (Post 42680993)
Just wondering if anyone is aware of any reasons why the Rangers organization haven't honored the following players with a rafter banner.

Phil Esposito #77

Gump Worsley #1

Brad Park #2

True, #1 and 2 are already retired for Giacomin and Leetch, respectively. But the team has already retired #9 for both Andy Bathgate and Adam Graves. No reason why Worsley and Park (both HOFers) shouldn't likewise be honored for immortality in MSG.

Esposito? Seriously? He came here when he was over-the-hill in possibly the most horrendous trade in Rangers history and didn't win anything. Plus, he's the reason they made the awful Rick Middleton for Ken Hodge deal. Park's number would be in the rafters if the Esposito deal hadn't happened (same goes for Ratelle). If they'd won in 72 it'd be different, but they didn't.

Worsley spent a big portion of his career on other teams as well and also didn't win anything. The guys whose numbers should be retired are Boucher, Cook, and Hextall.

haohmaru 01-18-2012 05:17 AM

Yeah, I'm not feeling any of those three. Can't really come up with recent (last 40 years) Rangers that should've had their numbers retired. Wouldn't mind honoring guys like Gresch and Dave Maloney, but I don't think I'd retire either of their numbers.

SupersonicMonkey* 01-18-2012 06:44 AM

Quote:

Phil Esposito #77

Gump Worsley #1

Brad Park #2

Of all the players...you chose one of the worst people to ever happen to the Rangers organization. If anything there should be a banner slandering Esposito.

The players that deserve banners are:

Frank Boucher
Bill Cook
Fred Cook
Ivan Johnson
Ott Heller
Neil Colville
Lynn Patrick
Bryan Hextall Sr.
Jean Ratelle
Ron Greschner

Lester Patrick
Herb Brooks
Tex Rickard

People like that, who built and shaped the Rangers from the beginning, some who won two, one of which won three Stanley Cups with the Rangers.

Loto68 01-18-2012 07:41 AM

Frank Boucher and Bill Cook should have had their numbers retired a few decades ago. With all due respect to Brian Leetch, Bill Cook is still the greatest player to have played his entire (or basically entire) career with the Rangers.

JanErixon20 01-18-2012 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey (Post 42682167)
Of all the players...you chose one of the worst people to ever happen to the Rangers organization. If anything there should be a banner slandering Esposito.

Frank Boucher
Bill Cook
Fred Cook
Ivan Johnson
Ott Heller
Neil Colville
Lynn Patrick
Bryan Hextall Sr.
Jean Ratelle
Ron Greschner

Lester Patrick
Herb Brooks
Tex Rickard

People like that, who built and shaped the Rangers from the beginning, some who won two, one of which won three Stanley Cups with the Rangers.

How Lester Patrick doesn't have a banner hanging in his name is beyond me.

Ih8theislanders 01-18-2012 07:52 AM

Cook and Boucher for sure.

haohmaru 01-18-2012 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loto68 (Post 42682823)
Frank Boucher and Bill Cook should have had their numbers retired a few decades ago. With all due respect to Brian Leetch, Bill Cook is still the greatest player to have played his entire (or basically entire) career with the Rangers.

Have to take some issue with the above considering they are totally different eras. I mean, we're talking it took 8 or 9 games in the playoffs to win the Stanley Cup and the guy was born in 1896 and played 40+ game regular seasons in the 1930's. Not quite sure how you can even definitively say the above considering I highly doubt you're in your 80's or 90's and saw Cook play.

To me, the greatest travesty of the Rangers ever was how they handled Leetch at the end of the road. Troubles me to this day.

Jabroni 01-18-2012 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanErixon20 (Post 42682843)
How Lester Patrick doesn't have a banner hanging in his name is beyond me.

Didn't he play goalie as well as coach?

ThisYearsModel 01-18-2012 08:40 AM

Phil Esposito? Seriously? He sucked as a Ranger player, coach and general manager. If they had won in the early 70's, Ratelle and Park would never have been traded and their numbers would be up there.

Loto68 01-18-2012 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haohmaru (Post 42683161)
Have to take some issue with the above considering they are totally different eras. I mean, we're talking it took 8 or 9 games in the playoffs to win the Stanley Cup and the guy was born in 1896 and played 40+ game regular seasons in the 1930's. Not quite sure how you can even definitively say the above considering I highly doubt you're in your 80's or 90's and saw Cook play.

To me, the greatest travesty of the Rangers ever was how they handled Leetch at the end of the road. Troubles me to this day.

Based on dominance versus his peers and from reading tons on the opinions of those who know more than I do. IIRC Cook is the only Ranger to ever lead the NHL in scoring and is arguably the 6th greatest NHL right winger of all time. If Brad Park had played his whole career with the Rangers Leetchie (as much as I love him) would probably only be the 2nd greatest Rangers defenseman of all time. Yes Leetch won 2 Norris's to Park's 0 but he finished 1st runner up 6 times to a couple of guys named Orr and Potvin, the greatest player of all time and one of the maybe top 5 defensemen of all time.

haohmaru 01-18-2012 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loto68 (Post 42684653)
Based on dominance versus his peers and from reading tons on the opinions of those who know more than I do. IIRC Cook is the only Ranger to ever lead the NHL in scoring and is arguably the 6th greatest NHL right winger of all time. If Brad Park had played his whole career with the Rangers Leetchie (as much as I love him) would probably only be the 2nd greatest Rangers defenseman of all time. Yes Leetch won 2 Norris's to Park's 0 but he finished 1st runner up 6 times to a couple of guys named Orr and Potvin, the greatest player of all time and one of the maybe top 5 defensemen of all time.

Some people put Park ahead of Leetch - I'm not one of them. You can say what you want about Orr & Park, but Coffey, Bourque, Stevens, & Chelios weren't lightweights either.

Conn Smythe (1st U.S. player to win)
Stanley Cup
Norris x 2
Probably undeniably the best U.S. born defenseman ever

Personally, I'd put Leetch in the top 10 or 15 to ever play defense. Can't say I'd make that same judgement about Cook (obviously, never saw him play). Still, it's hard to compare eras where that much time has gone by and how much the game and players have changed. Impossible, really.

JayQueensNY88* 01-18-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Phil Esposito #77

Gump Worsley #1

Brad Park #2

Park is acceptable. But in general i think the names up there are deserved and cant really think of anyone that should be added....Just possibly Henke in the future,he is probably going to wind up being best goaltender in NYR history to date, atleast.Despite if he wins a cup or not.

JayQueensNY88* 01-18-2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Frank Boucher
Bill Cook
Fred Cook
Ivan Johnson
Ott Heller
Neil Colville
Lynn Patrick
Bryan Hextall Sr.
Jean Ratelle
Ron Greschner

Lester Patrick
Herb Brooks
Tex Rickard

Greschner crossed my mind as well.

Greg02 01-18-2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 (Post 42683561)
Didn't he play goalie as well as coach?

For one game in the 1928 Stanley Cup playoffs after the goalie went down and the Maroons denied them from bringing in a goalie from another team.

Amazing Kreiderman 01-18-2012 09:52 AM

I am curious to know which players of the current squad might have this honor... Obviously Lundqvist but maybe Dan Girardi, if he plays for the Rangers the rest of his career?

Brooklyn Ranger 01-18-2012 10:02 AM

What's the point of honoring people who have passed away? All the players from the early teams are not around to enjoy the honor and the current fans are one, if not several, generations away from even growing up with their memory.

As far as I'm concerned, the only person who the Rangers should honor at this point is Emile Francis. He brought the franchise back to respectablity and made the Rangers exciting to root for again.

bogans 01-18-2012 10:08 AM

The entire GAG line should be up there IMO, too bad they didn't win anything. If not for a direly needed Stanley Cup win, those guys meant as much if not more to the Rangers franchise as the 94 group. And Cook and Boucher not being up there is a travesty. They did win, maybe not as much as other original 6, but they've got banners.

nyrmetros 01-18-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Frank Boucher
Bill Cook
Fred Cook
Ivan Johnson
Ott Heller
Neil Colville
Lynn Patrick
Bryan Hextall Sr.
Jean Ratelle
Ron Greschner

Lester Patrick
Herb Brooks
Tex Rickard

Thank you!

Frank Boucher
The cook brothers
Ching johnson

That's Rangers hockey history

NHRangerfan 01-18-2012 10:24 AM

Quote:

Phil Esposito #77

Gump Worsley #1

Brad Park #2

Espo????

He didn't want to be here his first 2 years, he was hated by the fans...at that time there was a sitcom called Phyllis a spinoff of the Mary Tyler Moore show the fans would sing Phyllis to him. Worst trade in Rangers history bar none...

NHRangerfan 01-18-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Frank Boucher
Bill Cook
Fred Cook
Ivan Johnson
Ott Heller
Neil Colville
Lynn Patrick
Bryan Hextall Sr.
Jean Ratelle
Ron Greschner

Lester Patrick
Herb Brooks
Tex Rickard

Ratelle but no Park?

Not understanding why you have Brooks on the list, nothing against Herb I just don't see how a guy who coached 3 1/2 seasons and never got past the 2nd round gets that honor.

NHRangerfan 01-18-2012 10:40 AM

[QUOTE=Loto68;42684653]Based on dominance versus his peers and from reading tons on the opinions of those who know more than I do. IIRC Cook is the only Ranger to ever lead the NHL in scoring and is arguably the 6th greatest NHL right winger of all time. If Brad Park had played his whole career with the Rangers Leetchie (as much as I love him) would probably only be the 2nd greatest Rangers defenseman of all time. Yes Leetch won 2 Norris's to Park's 0 but he finished 1st runner up 6 times to a couple of guys named Orr and Potvin, the greatest player of all time and one of the maybe top 5 defensemen of all time.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with this, having seen Park play on both the Rangers and the Bruins, went to college in New England in 1979, he was a better defender and more physical.

NHRangerfan 01-18-2012 10:44 AM

Some of the names that are being put out there would be more acceptable for a Rangers Hall of Fame or Ring of Honor type recognition than retiring a number...to me that honor should be reserved for greatness...I love Graves but really don't think he should have had his number retired.

Miamipuck 01-18-2012 11:17 AM

If Espo, why not Carol Vadnais, Barry Beck, Pierre Larouche and Lucien Deblois.

Swept In Seven 01-18-2012 11:40 AM

Players that I think will be career Rangers and have their numbers retired

Lundqvist
Callahan