HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   San Jose Sharks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Recalled/Assigned: 1/19 Niitty traded? Nope -- off to Worcester for conditioning stint #2 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1084741)

LadyStanley 01-19-2012 12:35 PM

1/19 Niitty traded? Nope -- off to Worcester for conditioning stint #2

Pollak, Kurz, Brazil reporting that Niitty is NOT on the ice for optional morning skate -- very unusual.

(He was practicing with the team yesterday.)

Mhoogasian94123 01-19-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyStanley (Post 42742591)
Pollak, Kurz, Brazil reporting that Niitty is NOT on the ice for optional morning skate -- very unusual.

This is weird. I hope we get a pick or can package (to include a pick and someone that's got zero value) to Carolina for Ruutu

LadyStanley 01-19-2012 12:38 PM

Aha!

Now they are reporting he's off to Worcester on a second conditioning stint.

S319R11S16 01-19-2012 12:39 PM

His locker has been cleaned out per @brodiebrazilCSN.

Quote:

Niittymaki no longer has locker stall inside HP pavilion.

ChompChomp 01-19-2012 12:39 PM

I just saw this on twitter:

@NHLwiki #NHL *Rumor update*-- #SJSharks G. A.Niittymaki is on a conditioning assignment to Worcester in the AHL. #notbeingmoved #yet

@brodiebrazilCSN: Niittymaki on a conditioning assignment in Worcester. #SJSharks

Gilligans Island 01-19-2012 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyStanley (Post 42742591)

LS, did you mean 1/19 (today)?

Gilligans Island 01-19-2012 12:40 PM

How many conditioning assignments is a player allowed?

LadyStanley 01-19-2012 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilligans Island (Post 42742801)
LS, did you mean 1/19 (today)?

Yep.

LadyStanley 01-19-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilligans Island (Post 42742851)

No limit; two weeks at a time.

SFtoBoston 01-19-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilligans Island (Post 42742851)

Hopefully as many as it takes to find a trading partner :laugh:

irregardless 01-19-2012 12:42 PM

Oh god. I was really hoping Doug had found a team to take him. Poor Niitty.

Kitten Mittons 01-19-2012 12:44 PM

Just give him one game... come on, he deserves better than that.

Markus 01-19-2012 12:48 PM

David Pollak
@PollakOnSharks David Pollak
Niittymaki to play FRI and SAT in Worcester, no waivers involved as he had time left on earlier conditioning assignment for #sjsharks

@FTFsTCY Matthew Taylor
Looks like to me that other teams won't take Niittymaki without seeing him in game action. He gets two starts in Worcester to prove health.

Gilligans Island 01-19-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyStanley (Post 42742893)
No limit; two weeks at a time.

Thanks. Why haven't the Sharks been doing this sooner then? I'm sure teams want to make sure he's healthy and lower risk to play him there. Strange

SJFanQC 01-19-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons (Post 42743119)
Just give him one game... come on, he deserves better than that.

+1

I believe in him more than Niemi. He has always been good for us. Lost his position due to an injury. But was good in the playoffs once more. He allowed the 2nd greatest comeback in NHL history to happen. He's won many trophies and individual awards. He was an Olympic MVP ! I'm sure he could be great for us in the playoffs, at least he wouldn't give up the same greasy rebounds as Niemi and be a lot more positionally sound than he is.

hockeyball 01-19-2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJFanQC (Post 42743737)
+1

I believe in him more than Niemi. He has always been good for us. Lost his position due to an injury. But was good in the playoffs once more. He allowed the 2nd greatest comeback in NHL history to happen. He's won many trophies and individual awards. He was an Olympic MVP ! I'm sure he could be great for us in the playoffs, at least he wouldn't give up the same greasy rebounds as Niemi and be a lot more positionally sound than he is.

We cannot go into the playoffs with his kind of injury risks. Niemi has posted better numbersthe last two seasons, than Niitty has EVER posted in his entire career.

I like the guy, but he's too expensive to risk our entire season on.

Gilligans Island 01-19-2012 01:05 PM

I wonder if there's a way to find out which teams' scouts are at these games. That'd be interesting to find out.

LadyStanley 01-19-2012 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilligans Island (Post 42744051)
I wonder if there's a way to find out which teams' scouts are at these games. That'd be interesting to find out.

NHL games, sometimes the beat writer(s) tweet who is there.

I'm guessing that there might be something mentioned by Ballou.

LadyStanley 01-19-2012 01:29 PM

PollakOnSharks 11:26am via Web Not going out on too shaky a limb to suggest #sjshark Niittymaki's starts in Worcester have a showcase element to them.

LadyStanley 01-19-2012 02:07 PM

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/sharks/...ng-assignment/
Pollak on reassignment.

His supposition is that Niitty is "part 2" of his conditioning assignment, not a second one.

I'm confused. I know that players in the past has gone on "multiple" conditioning stints to AHL.

WineShark 01-19-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyStanley (Post 42745243)
PollakOnSharks 11:26am via Web Not going out on too shaky a limb to suggest #sjshark Niittymaki's starts in Worcester have a showcase element to them.

The pressure is going to mount to move him soon. We are going to want to put a roster player on the team that can help during a run versus a back-up to the door opener. Hopefully he can get in some successful games down there are get a start in up here to prove his worth to someone. But either way, the closer we get to the deadline, the more he is dead weight covering a spot that could be used to help the team. Even more important with the injuries we have at this point.

210 01-19-2012 02:42 PM

Because Niitty hasn't played in a game yet he can still go to the AHL on his previous conditioning assignment until that has run its course.

Spacemania 01-19-2012 06:25 PM

lets face it, this guy is done with the Sharks unless some real bad **** has happened, he won't get even a mercy game with us. Its sad to see though, he deserves better. I'm honestly leaning to just putting him on waivers so he at least has somewhere to go.

JayP812 01-19-2012 08:50 PM

I'm really starting to dislike McLellan because of this. Nitty deserves to play. At least let him sit on the freaking bench.

hockeyball 01-19-2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayP812 (Post 42765861)
I'm really starting to dislike McLellan because of this. Nitty deserves to play. At least let him sit on the freaking bench.

Why? If Niemi gets any games off, Greiss needs to get practice to get ready for the playoffs. Niitty is a nice guy, but McLellan is doing what's best for the team.

It's also entirely possible DW has told him not to play him so he can trade him and not have to waive him.

It's also better for Niitty to get moved than to play a few games. If he wants a descent contract next season he needs to play as much as possible between now and the end of the season.