HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Bobby Sanguinetti (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1085307)

Dfence033 01-20-2012 02:39 AM

Bobby Sanguinetti

I know that Bobby Sangs was pretty highly thought of for his offensive abilities while a Rangers prospect. I also know that his defensive, we will call it, "inadequacies" cost him a spot on this club. It seems as if the Hurricanes are also not going to give him a chance at NHL time, largely due to a number of recently club-drafted defenseman passing him on the depth chart and an ill-timed injury. My question is, for a low price (low-round pick, maybe returning the 6th rounder?), would you consider trying to get Bobby back into the fold, and seeing if the Whale coaching staff could get him to round out his game a bit more to be an NHL-caliber player, like a Joni Pitkanen (who is pretty average-to-bad defensively, but good offensively) style player? I think the Rangers could really use a guy on the back-end with his offensive instincts, even with MDZ doing well. 70 points (29 goals, 17 (!) on the powerplay) in his last year in the OHL, 42 and 35 points in the AHL with the Rangers affiliate. His offensive abilities are obviously there, surely his defense is workable and worth taking a flyer on for a late-round pick, right? At only 23 years old, he still has some cheap RFA years left, too, if he does pan out.

I expect most Rangers fans to respond with the "been there, done that" mentality that seems to be prevalent here, but I think he might be worth a shot if the Canes would part with him. Slap him in CT, pair him with Erixon, maybe they find a Staal-Girardi like chemistry? Maybe Redden can mentor him on being an offense-minded NHL D? Would you do it?

Edit: Follow-up question. If the Rangers are actively pursuing Ruutu for the 2nd+prospect price, would you upgrade the prospect or add in a low pick to add Sangs?

Ruutu+Sangs
for
2nd+prospect+6th?

eco's bones 01-20-2012 03:28 AM

I really don't think they'd have much interest in Sanguinetti. The Rangers defense is pretty young as it is.

Girardi is 27. McDonagh-22. Staal-24. Sauer-24. Del Zotto-21. Stralman-25.

After that Erixon is 20, Bickel-25. And Dylan McIlrath is 19.

Del Zotto took the job away from Sangs because he had better offensive instincts. I think as well the Rangers think McDonagh for one has untapped potential in that area and that Erixon will be another who will provide offense in the future. And for the time being there is Richards who is quite capable of playing the point on the power play--problem being right now first you have to get some pwp's.

As for Ruuttu--really I think the Canes are going to probably get a 1st for him and maybe something else besides.

darko 01-20-2012 03:57 AM

Why add Sangs? He'd be pretty low on the depth chart. Anyways that ship has sailed.

ck20 01-20-2012 04:11 AM

We're backed up on D as is, having Sangs back here would just be wasting his time and our money.

Ih8theislanders 01-20-2012 07:16 AM

I wouldn't upgrade the prospect, but if your proposal could be Bourque/Yogan/Zuccarello/Lindbergh I'd definitely do it.

GAGLine 01-20-2012 07:24 AM

No, trading for Sangs, whether individually or as part of a Ruutu deal, makes no sense for the Rangers. And it really wouldn't be fair to Sangs either. You think he wants to come back to an organization with the kind of defensive depth we have?

The odds of him becoming a productive offensive dman at the NHL level are pretty slim. Maybe he can catch on with the piles at some point and get a chance a la PAP. That's where all the AAAA players go, isn't it?

NYR Viper 01-20-2012 07:44 AM

The Stralman signing was Sanguinetti's replacement. Stralman is the better player but they play similarly

JayQueensNY88* 01-20-2012 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dfence033 (Post 42781007)
I know that Bobby Sangs was pretty highly thought of for his offensive abilities while a Rangers prospect. I also know that his defensive, we will call it, "inadequacies" cost him a spot on this club. It seems as if the Hurricanes are also not going to give him a chance at NHL time, largely due to a number of recently club-drafted defenseman passing him on the depth chart and an ill-timed injury. My question is, for a low price (low-round pick, maybe returning the 6th rounder?), would you consider trying to get Bobby back into the fold, and seeing if the Whale coaching staff could get him to round out his game a bit more to be an NHL-caliber player, like a Joni Pitkanen (who is pretty average-to-bad defensively, but good offensively) style player? I think the Rangers could really use a guy on the back-end with his offensive instincts, even with MDZ doing well. 70 points (29 goals, 17 (!) on the powerplay) in his last year in the OHL, 42 and 35 points in the AHL with the Rangers affiliate. His offensive abilities are obviously there, surely his defense is workable and worth taking a flyer on for a late-round pick, right? At only 23 years old, he still has some cheap RFA years left, too, if he does pan out.

I expect most Rangers fans to respond with the "been there, done that" mentality that seems to be prevalent here, but I think he might be worth a shot if the Canes would part with him. Slap him in CT, pair him with Erixon, maybe they find a Staal-Girardi like chemistry? Maybe Redden can mentor him on being an offense-minded NHL D? Would you do it?

Edit: Follow-up question. If the Rangers are actively pursuing Ruutu for the 2nd+prospect price, would you upgrade the prospect or add in a low pick to add Sangs?

Ruutu+Sangs
for
2nd+prospect+6th?

id do that deal,but would the Canes. In general,Sans is not needed back,why would you want him back..NR has alot of defensive depth already..its a pointless move.

Tawnos 01-20-2012 08:33 AM

I've watched Sanguinetti a bunch of times here in Charlotte. He's not an NHL defenseman.

Cliffy1814 01-20-2012 08:34 AM

Sangs is second only to Hugh Jessiman in recent Ranger draft follies.

He was picked 21st overall and Claude Giroux was picked 22nd.

Too many bad thoughs associated with him...Pass

broadwayblue 01-20-2012 09:26 AM

I don't understand the point of this. We used a 1st round pick on him and he was a bust. Now he's still not NHL material and you want to spend more assets to "get him back in the fold" when we already have one of the deepest group of defensemen in the league. Why?

ocarina 01-20-2012 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliffy1814 (Post 42784233)

Remember how Bobby Clarke forgot Giroux's name? He was so pissed at us for taking Sangs, since that was the guy he wanted.

Man, to think we got one over the Flyers back then.

nyr2k2 01-20-2012 09:54 AM

Sanguinetti is not an upgrade over what we already have. He's probably ninth or tenth on our depth chart, and would serve no real purpose.

Bird Law 01-20-2012 10:13 AM

No backsies.

Bird Law 01-20-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyr2k2 (Post 42786801)
Sanguinetti is not an upgrade over what we already have. He's probably ninth or tenth on our depth chart, and would serve no real purpose.

****, he's probably lower than that. Erixon is 9th. I would say that he may be even lower than guys like VTank.

I Am Chariot 01-20-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

and Philly wanted Bobby... there was a general consensus that NYR cockblocked the Flyers on that pick. Just goes to show what a toss up these picks are outside of the lottery.

Don't we have an ALL STAR Defenseman now that walked onto this team undrafted?

Yes we do.

Dfence033 01-20-2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htk30 (Post 42781517)
We're backed up on D as is, having Sangs back here would just be wasting his time and our money.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GAGLine (Post 42782869)
You think he wants to come back to an organization with the kind of defensive depth we have?

The odds of him becoming a productive offensive dman at the NHL level are pretty slim.

Just because we are "backed up on D," doesn't mean you don't take a look at potential guys to push others through the system or not. I know most of you don't pay much attention to the Hurricanes, but I'd argue that our offensive-defenseman depth is absolute trash, and he is much more blocked in Raleigh.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 (Post 42783241)
The Stralman signing was Sanguinetti's replacement. Stralman is the better player but they play similarly

Stralman gets to play protected minutes on this team. Yes, he has been adequate, but given the chance to get more offensive production out of the lineup without sacrificing much defensively or minutes/wise, I think it'd be worth a flyer.

Quote:

THIS is exactly why I knew everyone would be opposed to it. He will be forever crucified in NYC for being the guy taken one spot ahead of Claude Giroux. There were a LOT of teams who wanted Sangs, not just the Rangers. The kid is still only 23 years old. I know we have a lot of youth already, but we are talking about a depth defenseman for A) Should Del Zotto go down, B) to push the guys on the depth chart, C) a potential offensive-defenseman for the bigboy squad in 2 years, something the Rangers system STILL lacks, even with DZ.

Quote:

Originally Posted by broadwayblue (Post 42785883)
I don't understand the point of this. We used a 1st round pick on him and he was a bust. Now he's still not NHL material and you want to spend more assets to "get him back in the fold" when we already have one of the deepest group of defensemen in the league. Why?

I don't get how he is a "bust." He is 23 years old. Keith Yandle was getting protected minutes (Stralman) at 23 for the Coyotes. Kimmo Timmonen wasn't a full-time Predator until he was 26. Dan Boyle didn't play a full NHL season until he was 27. Mark Streit wasn't even an NHL player until 29. Some of these guys take time, not every draft pick will be Erik Karlsson. But if he turns into a Pitkanen-level player at 25, wouldn't it be nice to have him on the squad? The Rangers lack a puck-mover (Don't mention Staal here again, please...) on the back-end to take some of the responsibilities off of Del Zotto. Having ONE guy who can make a stretch pass or skate the puck into the zone on the PP isn't good enough, and that's no offense to MDZ. As for "giving up assets," do you really feel a 6th-round pick is any more of an asset to the Rangers than Bobby Sangs would be? How many career AHLers are drafted at that position? Very few even make it that far, and Bobby Sangs is already there, and still young.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyr2k2 (Post 42786801)

He doesn't have to be a current upgrade to what the Rangers already have. But I don't see anyone in CT or anyone in the system at ALL who can do offensively what Sangs has shown he can do, even at just the AHL level. With the Rangers recent track-record of developing prospects, I just think he might be worth taking a flyer on.

Machinehead 01-20-2012 01:35 PM

I could see Sangs as a fill in on a lesser team but we have the deepest defense in the league.

n8 01-20-2012 01:54 PM

lol @ casually throwing Ruutu into that deal.

Bird Law 01-20-2012 01:55 PM

I cannot possible believe there is someone advocating we move for Sangs. I mean. Really???? Of all the horrible prospects.... Sangs? We might as well re-acquire Jessiman.

Fitzy 01-20-2012 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan. (Post 42796953)
I cannot possible believe there is someone advocating we move for Sangs. I mean. Really???? Of all the horrible prospects.... Sangs? We might as well re-acquire Jessiman.

Gilroy is better than Sanguinetti.

Bobby can skate, has vision, but is the quintessential example of why you can't be a winp and play NHL level defense in North America.

I expect the KHL in his future.

ck20 01-20-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dfence033 (Post 42795567)
Just because we are "backed up on D," doesn't mean you don't take a look at potential guys to push others through the system or not. I know most of you don't pay much attention to the Hurricanes, but I'd argue that our offensive-defenseman depth is absolute trash, and he is much more blocked in Raleigh.

Stralman gets to play protected minutes on this team. Yes, he has been adequate, but given the chance to get more offensive production out of the lineup without sacrificing much defensively or minutes/wise, I think it'd be worth a flyer.

THIS is exactly why I knew everyone would be opposed to it. He will be forever crucified in NYC for being the guy taken one spot ahead of Claude Giroux. There were a LOT of teams who wanted Sangs, not just the Rangers. The kid is still only 23 years old. I know we have a lot of youth already, but we are talking about a depth defenseman for A) Should Del Zotto go down, B) to push the guys on the depth chart, C) a potential offensive-defenseman for the bigboy squad in 2 years, something the Rangers system STILL lacks, even with DZ.

I don't get how he is a "bust." He is 23 years old. Keith Yandle was getting protected minutes (Stralman) at 23 for the Coyotes. Kimmo Timmonen wasn't a full-time Predator until he was 26. Dan Boyle didn't play a full NHL season until he was 27. Mark Streit wasn't even an NHL player until 29. Some of these guys take time, not every draft pick will be Erik Karlsson. But if he turns into a Pitkanen-level player at 25, wouldn't it be nice to have him on the squad? The Rangers lack a puck-mover (Don't mention Staal here again, please...) on the back-end to take some of the responsibilities off of Del Zotto. Having ONE guy who can make a stretch pass or skate the puck into the zone on the PP isn't good enough, and that's no offense to MDZ. As for "giving up assets," do you really feel a 6th-round pick is any more of an asset to the Rangers than Bobby Sangs would be? How many career AHLers are drafted at that position? Very few even make it that far, and Bobby Sangs is already there, and still young.

He doesn't have to be a current upgrade to what the Rangers already have. But I don't see anyone in CT or anyone in the system at ALL who can do offensively what Sangs has shown he can do, even at just the AHL level. With the Rangers recent track-record of developing prospects, I just think he might be worth taking a flyer on.

Except..Sangs was worthless in his time here? If Sangs can't cut it for the Canes, what the hell is the point of having him here when we already have some (hopefully) great pieces in the mix? It's like saying "Hey, let's take a look at Jessiman again." I mean, he did play for Chicago after all, that must mean he's a Cup caliber player suddenly right?

Players react and play differently in different systems. Sangs was not meant for our system. He didn't do jack in his time here and was passed by MDZ, who subsequently spent the following season in the AHL. What does that say for how desperate our need of getting Sanguinetti back? The ship for this dude has sailed. The word "interchangeable" is a drastic understatement for him in regards to our organization.

Fitzy 01-20-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htk30 (Post 42797109)
Except..Sangs was worthless in his time here? If Sangs can't cut it for the Canes, what the hell is the point of having him here when we already have some (hopefully) great pieces in the mix? It's like saying "Hey, let's take a look at Jessiman again." I mean, he did play for Chicago after all, that must mean he's a Cup caliber player suddenly right?

Jessiman does have 19 goals in 36 AHL games this year.

Late bloomer? :laugh:

nyr2k2 01-20-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dfence033 (Post 42795567)

Tim Erixon? Two more points in eight fewer AHL games. Better than Sanguinetti across the board now, and he's three years younger.

Brendan Bell? 88 points in his last 120 AHL games. Over 100 games of NHL experience. Tougher, meaner. Actually cheaper for this season.

Bobby Sanguinetti is nothing special. If he was a throw-in, fine...but I can't understand why anyone would consider him someone worth targeting.

Bird Law 01-20-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitzy (Post 42797015)
Gilroy is better than Sanguinetti.

Bobby can skate, has vision, but is the quintessential example of why you can't be a winp and play NHL level defense in North America.

I expect the KHL in his future.

He also has retard level hockey sense. He would die in the KHL. The DEL is more up his alley. Or the Swiss league.