HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Value of: Jordan Leopold to New Jersey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1085379)

Zajacs Bowl Cut 01-20-2012 08:30 AM

Jordan Leopold to New Jersey

Henrik Tallinder is now out for basically the rest of the season with a blood clot issue in his leg. Andy Greene is still injured, and even when he comes back it will take him some time to get back up to speed. the Devils cannot afford to keep throwing guys like Kurtis Foster out there for big minutes every game.

so, assuming Buffalo stays out of the playoff race, what would it take to acquire Leopold? He is signed through next season with a $3 million cap hit.

Seto 01-20-2012 08:49 AM

Josefson? I think Buffalo would have to add.

JimEIV 01-20-2012 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut (Post 42784159)
Henrik Tallinder is now out for basically the rest of the season with a blood clot issue in his leg. Andy Greene is still injured, and even when he comes back it will take him some time to get back up to speed. the Devils cannot afford to keep throwing guys like Kurtis Foster out there for big minutes every game.

so, assuming Buffalo stays out of the playoff race, what would it take to acquire Leopold? He is signed through next season with a $3 million cap hit.

2010 at the deadline UFA Leopold returned a 2nd round pick from Pitt to Florida.

I would say even though he is signed the cost would be about the same....Maybe a 3rd and a low level prospect or 2nd.

If Anaheim would be interesting in moving him, he is also a UFA, I would be much more interested in Francois Beauchemin.

BackGroundMusic 01-20-2012 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimEIV (Post 42784677)
2010 at the deadline UFA Leopold returned a 2nd round pick from Pitt to Florida.

I would say even though he is signed the cost would be about the same....Maybe a 3rd and a low level prospect or 2nd.

If Anaheim would be interesting in moving him, he is also a UFA, I would be much more interested in Francois Beauchemin.

Leo is also signed through next year, though, so he is more than just a rental.

JimEIV 01-20-2012 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iciclesonapapershelf (Post 42784897)
Leo is also signed through next year, though, so he is more than just a rental.

What I'm saying is a UFA would probably be MORE attractive for the Devils than 3+ Million dollar player slated for next year...

With a lot of rookies that will be looking to make the step up next year and an uncertain CBA looming...

a UFA like Oduya or Beauchemin is far more attractive as a stop gap than player with the extra year.

This would be an injury/depth move for the Devils.

Zubrus Coffee Maker 01-20-2012 09:18 AM

WSH 2nd + Palmieri?

AfroThunder396 01-20-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimEIV (Post 42785477)
What I'm saying is a UFA would probably be MORE attractive for the Devils than 3+ Million dollar player slated for next year...

With a lot of rookies that will be looking to make the step up next year and an uncertain CBA looming...

a UFA like Oduya or Beauchemin is far more attractive as a stop gap than player with the extra year.

This would be an injury/depth move for the Devils.

The reason I want Leo is because he ISN'T a UFA.

Urbom, Tao, and the rest of the gang in Albany are all enormous question marks. I'm not convinced any of them will make the team next year.

Any competent defenseman with skill is an instant upgrade to our defense, Leopold happens to be a very good one to boot.

Saugus 01-20-2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tairy Greene (Post 42785627)
WSH 2nd + Palmieri?

I'd be ok with that, not sure what Buffalo is looking for.

Rhodes 81 01-20-2012 09:41 AM

eeeehhhhhhhhh... other guys i would rather go after.

Zip15 01-20-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tairy Greene (Post 42785627)
WSH 2nd + Palmieri?

Not terrible. I'd like a young player a tad better than Palmieri to accompany the 2nd rounder, but I think that's doable and realistic, even if I'd like Darcy to aim a bit higher.

Oroku Saki* 01-20-2012 09:55 AM

Leopold is a great d-man for $3 million. He should've been our original target, not Tallinder.

JimEIV 01-20-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 (Post 42785871)
The reason I want Leo is because he ISN'T a UFA.

Urbom, Tao, and the rest of the gang in Albany are all enormous question marks. I'm not convinced any of them will make the team next year.

Any competent defenseman with skill is an instant upgrade to our defense, Leopold happens to be a very good one to boot.

I rather wait see if Suter becomes available in the off season and have Salvador, Foster, and Brodeur's money come off the books so the Devils can make an offer to both Parise and Suter ;)

Saugus 01-20-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimEIV (Post 42790105)
I rather wait see if Suter becomes available in the off season and have Salvador, Foster, and Brodeur's money come off the books so the Devils can make an offer to both Parise and Suter ;)

That's a little presumptuous, especially when nobody is really sure whether the ownership situation of the Devils is stable enough to re-sign even just Parise.

JimEIV 01-20-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saugus (Post 42790557)
That's a little presumptuous, especially when nobody is really sure whether the ownership situation of the Devils is stable enough to re-sign even just Parise.

Regardless, you still rather have the financial flexibility if that situation does arise than add another 3/4 type that will be 3+ million placeholder for the following year.

There is no doubt the devils need another NHL caliber defenseman with Greene and Tallinder out, but it is or at least should be a short term solution.

Next year you have Tallinder, Greene, Volchenkov, Fayne and Larsson on the books with Taormina, Urbom, possibly Corrente or maybe Gelinas vying for a spot. In my opinion you shoot for a long term upgrade or go the other route and find a short term solution that leaves you free at the end of the season.

If the devils ownership is an issue, the short term solution is even more attractive and it maybe all that Lou can do with his given parameters.

JimEIV 01-20-2012 12:35 PM

One other thing, we saw before the last work stoppage that GM's cleared space when the CBA was in doubt...

Take a glance at cap geek and look at all the teams with free space. GM's have scaled back this year significantly. Every team seemingly has 4+ million in cap space and players coming off the books...that is not by accident and it seems apparent to me that most teams are planning for some sort of change.

La Cosa Nostra 01-20-2012 12:56 PM

2nd+5th and I'm all ears.

apice3* 01-20-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redarmynative (Post 42784669)
Josefson? I think Buffalo would have to add.

You're not very good at gauging the value of players and prospects.

One can argue that Josefson is our best prospect besides Larsson. I know I'm in that boat. There is no way Jordan Leopold should fetch that. I'd offer a 2nd or a 3rd. preferably from 2013. Not Josefson.

Zajacs Bowl Cut 01-20-2012 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreddieBisco (Post 42794247)
2nd+5th and I'm all ears.

deal

Rivet52 01-20-2012 11:22 PM

With Henrique playing so well and Elias at a PPG pace as the 2nd line center, would Devils fans listen to offers for Zajac? We'd need to add and pay a hefty price, but is he completely off limits? We might be in the position to make a pretty decent offer if we're looking to shake things up here in Buffalo.

Saugus 01-20-2012 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rivet52 (Post 42823905)
With Henrique playing so well and Elias at a PPG pace as the 2nd line center, would Devils fans listen to offers for Zajac? We'd need to add and pay a hefty price, but is he completely off limits? We might be in the position to make a pretty decent offer if we're looking to shake things up here in Buffalo.

Zajac is still not expendable, despite the emergence of Henrique. I think it would be a big mistake for Lou to trade him and lower the Devils' centre depth.

Irving Zisman 01-21-2012 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apice3 (Post 42794309)

One can argue that Josefson is our best prospect besides Larsson. I know I'm in that boat. There is no way Jordan Leopold should fetch that. I'd offer a 2nd or a 3rd. preferably from 2013. Not Josefson.

lol. You offer a 2013 3rd round pick for Leopold, and rip the guy you quoted for poorly gauging the value of players. lol

Seto 01-21-2012 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apice3 (Post 42794309)

You're not very good at reading. I clearly stated that Buffalo would have to add.

apice3* 01-21-2012 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lindy4Prez (Post 42825005)
lol. You offer a 2013 3rd round pick for Leopold, and rip the guy you quoted for poorly gauging the value of players. lol

No, I said the most I would offer for Leopold is a 3rd OR a 2nd. That's not saying Leopold is only worth that. It's saying that's all I would offer for him.

The Devils have plenty of 4-6 defensemen. Leopold offers some offense that some of our blueliners lack, but really he's not that special of a player where the Devils should be offering the moon for him. He's not going to take us to the next level, like a Suter would so there's really no point in us offering any more than what I said.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redarmynative (Post 42825617)
You're not very good at reading. I clearly stated that Buffalo would have to add.

I read it perfectly, and it just doesn't make sense.

The reason we trade for Leopold is to bolster our roster.

By trading Josefson, we'd be giving up the best asset in the trade, thus turning into sellers.

Josefson has no business being in a trade unless it's in a package for an elite player.

Seto 01-21-2012 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apice3 (Post 42825753)
No, I said the most I would offer for Leopold is a 3rd OR a 2nd. That's not saying Leopold is only worth that. It's saying that's all I would offer for him.

The Devils have plenty of 4-6 defensemen. Leopold offers some offense that some of our blueliners lack, but really he's not that special of a player where the Devils should be offering the moon for him. He's not going to take us to the next level, like a Suter would so there's really no point in us offering any more than what I said.

I read it perfectly, and it just doesn't make sense.

The reason we trade for Leopold is to bolster our roster.

By trading Josefson, we'd be giving up the best asset in the trade, thus turning into sellers.

Josefson has no business being in a trade unless it's in a package for an elite player.

Fair enough. I agree.

Classic Devil 01-21-2012 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rivet52 (Post 42823905)

Not for anything you might have available. If Zajac were on the table, the only thing we'd consider for him would be a top-pairing defenseman, and frankly from Buffalo that means Myers. Which obviously isn't going to happen.