HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Anyone have trouble fitting pants because of hockey? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1085423)

MD Moose 01-20-2012 09:49 AM

Anyone have trouble fitting pants because of hockey?
 
I know this may seem an odd question, and I assume most, if not all, in this forum play hockey, but does anyone have trouble with the fit of your pants because of hockey?

What I mean is, from playing hockey and training involved, you generally get stronger thigh and butt, hence they get bigger. Without any waist size getting bigger but merely thigh and butt area I've been having trouble with the fit of pants being too tight. But then going to a larger waist size then makes them loose in that area. It seems like the cut of most clothes out there are made for people that are not athetic. Having a terrible time finding clothes with the right fit.

Stickmata 01-20-2012 10:46 AM

Nothing to do with hockey, but yes I have this problem and it is very difficult to find jeans that will go over my thighs and not be huge in the waist. I'm a 32 waist, but my thighs are big even though the rest of my body is skinny. The best I found were the Levi's Silvertab baggy fit, but they discontinued them. Been looking for something new but haven't found anything.

MD Moose 01-20-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stickmata (Post 42788825)
Nothing to do with hockey, but yes I have this problem and it is very difficult to find jeans that will go over my thighs and not be huge in the waist. I'm a 32 waist, but my thighs are big even though the rest of my body is skinny. The best I found were the Levi's Silvertab baggy fit, but they discontinued them. Been looking for something new but haven't found anything.

Yours may not be attributable to hockey, but that is the typical hockey physique, big thighs and butt, and not a big waist. I suppose football players may also have the same type of physique. I wonder why they discontinued Silvertab? Hopefully someone can post something that will fit better.

Aftcomet* 01-20-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stickmata (Post 42788825)
Nothing to do with hockey, but yes I have this problem and it is very difficult to find jeans that will go over my thighs and not be huge in the waist. I'm a 32 waist, but my thighs are big even though the rest of my body is skinny. The best I found were the Levi's Silvertab baggy fit, but they discontinued them. Been looking for something new but haven't found anything.

Hips like a woman. :laugh: I got the same problem. But that's why I'm very stable down low when playing sports. And it should be a huge advantage in hockey.

noobman 01-20-2012 11:08 AM

When I was a little younger and a lot fitter yes, I had to get pants a size up on the waist (36 instead of 34) and have them darted at the waist so my damn legs could fit in them.

Nowadays it's size 38 "relaxed" fit.

Sony Eriksson* 01-20-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Moose (Post 42786641)
I know this may seem an odd question, and I assume most, if not all, in this forum play hockey, but does anyone have trouble with the fit of your pants because of hockey?

What I mean is, from playing hockey and training involved, you generally get stronger thigh and butt, hence they get bigger. Without any waist size getting bigger but merely thigh and butt area I've been having trouble with the fit of pants being too tight. But then going to a larger waist size then makes them loose in that area. It seems like the cut of most clothes out there are made for people that are not athetic. Having a terrible time finding clothes with the right fit.

I have been playing since i was 12 so my thighs are like speed skater thighs. I usually have to go up a size in jeans and go a little longer in the leg to make up for it.

pelts35.com 01-20-2012 12:21 PM

Funny I stumbled across this thread. My 6 year old son has already outgrown his size 6 jeans after 3 months of playing hockey 3 times per week as his thighs have become more muscular.

Ozz 01-20-2012 01:01 PM

As a weight lifter, pants shopping for me sucks. I've got a 34" waist and 28" thighs. I might have 2 pairs of pants that are size 34 that I can even fit into; the rest are 36 or 38 just so my thighs have room.

Back when I only played hockey and didn't lift, I'd be surprised if they were even 22". Pants were never an issue just because of hockey since I had Malkin legs.

CornKicker 01-20-2012 01:46 PM

once you hit that stage you just wear sweatpants dude

backhander 01-22-2012 09:01 AM

yep...sweatpants!

goalie29 01-22-2012 10:32 AM

I'm female, so pants are not a problem.

But my house league team was talking a few weeks ago that none of us, even the naturally skinny, can easily find boots to fit our calves. You could see the light bulbs going on in people all over the room - that we all have skating in common and all have big calves for our builds.

bigwillie 01-22-2012 03:46 PM

Same problem. Playing hockey and mounting biking since I was 10. Done wonders for my health and physique but has completely ruined my ability to buy pants. :laugh:

I've also had a problem blowing out the crotches in pants when I squat down and whatnot.

I mostly shop at thrift stores. You'll find all kinds and styles of pants and can usually find something that will fit and look good. Plus they're cheap.

cptjeff 01-22-2012 03:55 PM

As somebody who likes clean lines and trim fit, it is an issue. More for khakis and trousers than for jeans, since slim khakis and trousers assume that you're plain old thin rather than fit. If you have muscles, it throws 'em for a loop.

I have a model of jeans that works well for me though, so I'm set on those.

cptjeff 01-22-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CornKicker (Post 42796579)
once you hit that stage you just wear sweatpants dude

You can't if you have a job, and there are quite a few people who would rather not look like utter slobs regardless of workplace standards.

Stories 01-22-2012 04:29 PM

My (slender) Asian genes override my hockey playing, so I don't have that issue.

ArcataShark 01-22-2012 04:34 PM

Sweatpants for life.

shawn1331 01-22-2012 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cptjeff (Post 42921005)
You can't if you have a job, and there are quite a few people who would rather not look like utter slobs regardless of workplace standards.

You haven't met the hollister etc. companies yet have you:laugh: Sweatpants are really "in" right now in highschool so alot of us are wearing them. There making some pretty comforable and respectable sweatpants nowadays that don't look bad at all really.http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=hollis...:0&tx=37&ty=45

Anywho, try sportschek and places specifically for athletic people. More often than not you can find some nice pants for hanging out and going to town made by Reebok but I wouldn't wear those to a lawyers firm.

Hooah4 01-23-2012 08:02 AM

Same here. In my case it's my genetic code (Austrian- with my family coming from Innsbruck) to have big thighs and butt. Even when I was in HS with my size 28(!) waist I had trouble fitting in anything other than relaxed fit jeans. As I've aged it's harder between training and the inevitable metabolic slowdown that comes along. It's great for hockey though!

iamjs 01-23-2012 08:58 AM

Running into the same problem, especially with different companies keep discontining styles of jeans. I could probably wear a 33/30, but because of my legs everything is snug. I go up to a 34/30 relaxed fit and I've been able to find jeans a little easier, although finding a pair in that size is also a challenge. Ozz, a 34-28? I couldn't imagine the trouble you have finding not just jeans but pants in general.

Ended up going shopping a few weeks ago for a new pair of jeans and the whole shopping experience was a ****show. I usually try to replace one pair that is no longer work-worthy with another pair. Since I work in a remote office with a lot of people in field support, jeans (as long as they're not hammered and have holes) are acceptable to wear. Now my weight jumps +/- 5 lbs around my 195, but the waist size never changes or gets snug. I tried onto a bunch of 34/30 relaxed fit/baggy fit and NOTHING fit. I figured maybe it's a new pattern or that maybe I gained more weight than I knew about, so I went up to a 35/30. Those actually fit worse than the 34/30s that I tried. After 5 stores and 2 hours, I gave up.

Jarick 01-23-2012 11:08 AM

My uncle got so big playing hockey he ended up becoming a pro body builder. At that point, he lived in Zubaz.

Hooah4 01-23-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 42962239)
My uncle got so big playing hockey he ended up becoming a pro body builder. At that point, he lived in Zubaz.

let me guess....Zubaz, Gold's gym tank, mullet, and Oakley's? Standard attire for 1991.

Ozz 01-23-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamjs (Post 42957943)
Running into the same problem, especially with different companies keep discontining styles of jeans. I could probably wear a 33/30, but because of my legs everything is snug. I go up to a 34/30 relaxed fit and I've been able to find jeans a little easier, although finding a pair in that size is also a challenge. Ozz, a 34-28? I couldn't imagine the trouble you have finding not just jeans but pants in general.

I'm a 34/32. I meant my thighs are 28" in circumference which means 99% of my pants are bigger in the waist than necessary just so my thighs will fit into them.

Jarick 01-23-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hooah4 (Post 42966117)
let me guess....Zubaz, Gold's gym tank, mullet, and Oakley's? Standard attire for 1991.

No mullet but otherwise spot on, and it was about 1990 :laugh:

ChiTownHawks 01-23-2012 03:09 PM

I have had this issue to a degree I used to run 5 miles every other day and now I can't b/c of hockey. So I supplement 2 days of running with 2 days of hockey. My weight has gone up to 185 from 175 and I am 5'9." My waist has stayed the same (34) but the slim fit jeans have been retired. The good thing is my fat ass has made me very strong on the puck. Even my instructors can't knock me off it.

IDuck 01-23-2012 10:32 PM

yup started noticing the same thing....im like a 33 or 34 waist and have to buy 36 and always wear a belt because the seem like 2 size's to big in the waist....weird because i just started noticing this a few weeks ago and just figured that jean "style" had changed, as i dont like the skin tight jeans


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:38 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.