HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Trash Talking in Mens/Beer Leagues (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1085635)

CornKicker 01-20-2012 02:07 PM

Trash Talking in Mens/Beer Leagues

What are your opinions on Trash talking in games?

Acceptable?

Disgraceful?

depends?

What kind of things do you hear on the ice?

do you laugh?

do you cringe?

In our league(s) there is alot of trashtalking, i thought it was go down as we got older but it doesnt, alot of the time i think its funny. its usually about timing, i dont care for the swearing at player over and over from the bench, to me that is excessive. but sometimes its funny ex. last game the other team had a player get his 4th penalty (4 penalties and you are ejected). as the ref was kicking him out of the penalty box he gestured over to the bench that they needed to send someone from the bench to the box. one of our guys yells "make sure you pick your shi$iest guy" then as the player got on the ice he yelled "yep thats him, good call guys". he turned to the bench and yelled something back but we were all laughing so hard it we didnt hear him. he was actually one of their better players so it wasnt like he was picking on someone who really did suck. to me this kind is funny.

CornKicker 01-20-2012 02:08 PM

I think anytime you get 30-40 males doing something competitive trash talk of some sort is going to happen. or maybe its just me ? idk interested on other opinions on the subject

Aftcomet* 01-20-2012 02:15 PM

I think friends joking around is perfectly fine, but when people are serious about it and it gets heated, that it ruins the spirit. Hockey, while many people think it's barbaric, actually has a lot of respect. And people shouldn't let a few clowns ruin that. Just don't engage them.

tarheelhockey 01-20-2012 02:17 PM

If it's funny, it's ok.

If it's serious, get a life.

hyster110 01-20-2012 02:20 PM

hey if i can get you off your game by chirping , more power to me

most important rule

what happens on the ice stays on the ice

Axman 01-20-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarheelhockey (Post 42797943)
If it's funny, it's ok.

Pretty much this...

I might lovingly chirp a friend on another team while smiling but never someone I don't know and nothing malicious. This is all supposed to be for fun.

Pog Form 01-20-2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

If it's funny, it's ok.

My thoughts as well.

adaminnj 01-20-2012 03:56 PM

I play net with about 20 ex Jrs, euro-players, and a few beginner old guys. I give it out and have to take it but all in good fun. Every once in a while we get some hotdog out who doesn't pass and never sits down and lets anyone else on the Ice. The hotdog ends up getting an ear full and GOD FORBID I get crashed or some one goes whacking at my glove! I go berserk screaming and punching with the blocker on.

But all in all the trash talk is fun and motivating until it has to be a correction to bad behavior on the ice. Then it can turn into a two hander across the back of the calf. In mens league I have had to deal with a fight or two every other game. At shinny tones of chirping but all in good fun, or light correction.

Aftcomet* 01-20-2012 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyster110 (Post 42798067)
hey if i can get you off your game by chirping , more power to me

most important rule

what happens on the ice stays on the ice

Yes but we're talking about recreational beer league hockey. Play at a higher level if you want to play like that. Most people are there to have fun, spend time with friends, and meet new people.

Why would you want to ruin that fun for others? Just for the record, it won't bother most of the people there because they probably won't care and you will just end up looking like a fool by running your mouth.

edog37 01-20-2012 04:08 PM

it isn't beer league hockey without trash talking....

CornKicker 01-20-2012 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adaminnj (Post 42803077)
I would Kick the CRAP out of you if you said anything like that to me and I did not know you! Then ask if your wife bleeds like that after I do her while you are laying on the ice bleeding. WTF man you say that stuff to people you don't know? especially the "wife" stuff! I would hurt you if you said that to me even if I knew you well.

reactions like that are why people trashtalk in the first place

ponder 01-20-2012 04:35 PM

A little good natured, funny trash talk in the flow of the game is perfectly fine IMO.

The guys who think they're the next coming of Sean Avery, and trash talk "because they're agitators" are losers though, even more pathetic than the guys who come to the rink with tinted visors, yellow laces and a jersey tuck. It's beer league, not the pros, nobody has to play the agitator role to earn their next contract. It's only the "weekend warriors" who can barely skate who ever try this anyways.

Ozz 01-20-2012 04:47 PM

Quote:

If it's funny, it's ok.

That's my opinion.

pelts35.com 01-20-2012 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adaminnj (Post 42802731)
I play net with about 20 ex Jrs, euro-players, and a few beginner old guys. I give it out and have to take it but all in good fun. Every once in a while we get some hotdog out who doesn't pass and never sits down and lets anyone else on the Ice. The hotdog ends up getting an ear full and GOD FORBID I get crashed or some one goes whacking at my glove! I go berserk screaming and punching with the blocker on.

But all in all the trash talk is fun and motivating until it has to be a correction to bad behavior on the ice. Then it can turn into a two hander across the back of the calf. In mens league I have had to deal with a fight or two every other game. At shinny tones of chirping but all in good fun, or light correction.

Someone takes a whack at your glove and you go berserk and start punching with your blocker on? :shakehead

Devil Dancer 01-20-2012 05:04 PM

I spend more time trash talking myself than my opponents. Example: I miss an open net and yell at myself "oh, you stupid piece of ****!"

Most of my conversations with the other side are friendly. The only trash talk I've been the recipient of was one guy accused me of diving. Oh, and another accused me of running up the score in the handshake line.

Devil Dancer 01-20-2012 05:09 PM

One more thought: I accidentally trash talked some guy last week. My team was up by 3 goals, and we lined up after the my team had just scored. The RW for the other team said something to me about his team's lines being messed up, but I thought he was talking about the lines in the ice, the blue and the red, which are faded and hard to see in the barn I play in. So I said something like "You call those lines?" and he gave me a pissed off look. A few minutes later I realized he was talking about his team's lines.

Oops. Oh well.

Mr. Canucklehead 01-20-2012 05:58 PM

Played in many beer leagues - chirping happens frequently. Most of its short and sweet, and mostly along the lines of one guy questioning another's manhood/hockey skills/intelligence quotient/etc. (I'm using the "polite" version of all of these)

I don't really engage in chirping myself, especially since I run the league I currently play in. For the most part it's amusing.

If guys get too personal, then - IMO - it crosses a line.

adaminnj 01-20-2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CornKicker (Post 42803941)
reactions like that are why people trashtalk in the first place

Yeah I know but we both go ;)

adaminnj 01-20-2012 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelts35.com (Post 42804897)
Someone takes a whack at your glove and you go berserk and start punching with your blocker on? :shakehead

I'm talking about a real whack not just digging. and yeah I pull the strap tight so it never comes off when I need it to.

Mr. Canucklehead 01-20-2012 06:24 PM

I should add - chirping, to me, is fine when two guys are fired up and get into it.

What I think has no place in a beer league is a designated "agitator", someone who just goes out there to start things. It's a beer league, we all have day jobs. Check that stuff along with your dreams of turning pro.

Halifaxhab* 01-20-2012 06:38 PM

this past weekend one of my wingers had a rebound on an open net, but it was a tourney and there may have been a few "pops" over this time. Anyway, Winger hits the post on an open net from 2 feet away, no defender on him at all. Goalie looks at him and laughs at him asks him "hey meat....how the HELL did you miss that? stripper glitter get in your eyes?"

at that point the ref called the play cause he and everyone else were howling as we had all (other team team and ref included) been at the ripper bar.

adaminnj 01-20-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halifaxhab (Post 42810027)
this past weekend one of my wingers had a rebound on an open net, but it was a tourney and there may have been a few "pops" over this time. Anyway, Winger hits the post on an open net from 2 feet away, no defender on him at all. Goalie looks at him and laughs at him asks him "hey meat....how the HELL did you miss that? stripper glitter get in your eyes?"

at that point the ref called the play cause he and everyone else were howling as we had all (other team team and ref included) been at the ripper bar.

Now that is funny and in good fun! No harm no fowl.

predfan24 01-20-2012 11:47 PM

Honestly I trash talk guys on my own team more than anything just out of playful fun. I'll trash talk a guy on the other team that I know as well. Other than that I'm probably not saying anything. I might chirp a guy if he's playing like an ******* and everyone knows it. I'll chirp the guy who is showing off in a blowout etc.

Royal Canuck 01-21-2012 02:30 AM

Usually if theyre trash talking me, I'm doing something right. So I dont react to it and continue doing what i'm doing.

sanityplease 01-21-2012 11:08 AM

I hooked an inlaw in the n*ts from behind last week in a rec league game, ref told me he should give me a penalty, I replied: "I should get rewarded for hooking that guy in the n*ts!".

Everyone had a good chuckle. Tell me where else you can get a chance to do that to an inlaw?