HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Tampa Bay Lightning (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Goaltending during the 2012-2013 season (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1085879)

The Hulk 01-20-2012 06:34 PM

Goaltending during the 2012-2013 season

Assuming we still have Mathieu Garon as our backup next season. Who do you want as our starter and who do you think Yzerman will go after. Here's my list of everyone who it could possibly be..

Bernier
Schneider
Harding
Bishop
Montoya
Vokoun
Nabokov
Lindback
Desjardins
Rask (Probably most doubtful)
Enroth
Helenius (Don't think he can be a starter but id be interested in seeing what he can do)

Im sure there's others.. What do you think?

I wouldnt mind trading Garon (if we can) and running two younger guys like Harding and Bishop who will both be UFAs so we wouldnt be giving up anything.

Kusic 01-20-2012 07:12 PM

The Best option IMO - Duo Cory Schneider and Josh Harding.
I really hope, that SY will trade for Cory Schneider - we need a young goalie, not old like Nabokov or Vokoun.
I am concerned that SY will sign Roloson for another year :D But the most likely SY will trade for Jonathan Bernier (cheaper than Cory).

I Am Beat You 01-20-2012 07:17 PM

Harding I hope.

MrMcGz 01-20-2012 07:25 PM

I'd be happy with any of the top five.

However, for some reason I don't really like Harding. I can't quite put my finger on it, maybe it's because he's a little older, but its also the previous injuries that bother me.

I'm a homer so I'd like to see Helenius do well, but Euro goalies are probably the most unreliable once they go back to Europe. He's been impressive lately.

Bernier gets a lot of hype so someone will overpay for him.

Really impressed with what Schneider did against us a few weeks ago and I think he starts a bidding war in the offseason.

Bishop seems really interesting as I didn't realize he was Rinne sized. Plus his contract status makes the situation worth looking at a little closer.

Felonious Python 01-20-2012 07:35 PM

I have a feeling that it's going to be Bernier, and SFY will immediately deny that it's because he's French-Canadian. Whoever it's going to be, it'll be the guy not getting the attention at that moment.

I say give Roloson two more years to see how it goes. :sarcasm:

MrMcGz 01-20-2012 07:41 PM

But but but we have our own 2006 1st rounder! 1 GP, 7 mins, 2 saves, 1 shutout (kind of). Forever undefeated!

Holy ****, what a cluster**** of a season 08-09 was.

Bolt32 01-21-2012 12:30 AM

Personally would like to get Vokoun. Roll out with this.

Vokoun
Helenius

Or

Vokoun
DJ (Assuming he hits free agency once more.)

BoltSTH 01-21-2012 02:41 AM

We still have the rights to Vasily Koshechkin. I wonder if SY would try to get him out of the KHL?

chasespace 01-21-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoltSTH (Post 42827309)
We still have the rights to Vasily Koshechkin. I wonder if SY would try to get him out of the KHL?

He's **** the bed this season(compared to his others). I think Helenius would be a better option.

Vasilevskiy 01-21-2012 04:09 PM

all I want for this summer is cory schneider...

(well, and ryan suter)

Follower of Yzlam 01-21-2012 07:37 PM

I really think it's Schneider. He's going to want a #1 gig and he has 0 chances to get that in Vancouver. Schneider in goal, with Suter/Hedman, Gleason/Brewer as our top 4...

We'll go from having the worst backend in the league to having one of the best.

The Yzerplan 01-21-2012 08:07 PM

Suter is a UFA so I'm pretty sure he's going to test the market and is looking for a ridiculous salary (like Bouwmeester) or like 10+ year contract. And that's if he even wants to leave Nashville.

And I don't want that we are the one overpaying him and I dont think Yzerman likes those kind of deals either.

Follower of Yzlam 01-21-2012 08:13 PM

Maybe he really likes nice weather? Also the taxes in Florida might make it a pretty nice target. Anyway, we'd be stupid not to go after him (especially with all the money coming off the books). I'm not saying give him a lifetime contract, but you have to go after a guy like that.

I Am Beat You 01-21-2012 09:57 PM

I'm fine with pursuing Gleason and Suter, but would rather try to land Harding because he won't cost us valuable assets. He's also more experienced and proven than Schenider and plays for a worse team.

Follower of Yzlam 01-21-2012 10:04 PM

My biggest issue with Harding is a) Minnesota is notoriously a defensive team and b) can he handle the pressure of being "the guy". Now, a couple of caveats for that, since I recommended Schneider instead. Vancouver has a really good set of defensemen that may to an extent shelter their goaltender, and I admittedly don't watch many Wild games so I don't know if that image I have of them playing a D-first system still holds true. Also, Schneider isn't the guy in Van either, but at the same time, he's at least under scrutiny from a notoriously *****y fanbase, so he's at least used to some pressure.

Ultimately, I won't be unhappy with either (or Bernier or maybe even someone like Enroth via trade), and I definitely get your argument of having to give up assets for Schneider being a downside, but I just really like the way he plays and think he would fit in super well here.

I Am Beat You 01-21-2012 10:21 PM

Schneider plays 2nd fiddle to one of the biggest scapegoats in the NHL and that's behind a substantially better defense than Minnesota. Going from being a backup on a team like Vancouver with only 54 games of NHL experience to the Lightning to be the #1 is a pretty big leap. If we were to land Suter and Gleason I wouldn't be so skeptical, but it will still cost us some big pieces and that's my biggest issue to begin with. We may be able to land a very capable goalie without having to trade any of our better players/prospects.

LightningStrikes 01-22-2012 03:29 AM

One of Harding or Neuvirth/Holtby or Halak/Bishop or Bernier + Garon.

Felonious Python 01-22-2012 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LightningStrikes (Post 42896043)
One of Harding or Neuvirth/Holtby or Halak/Bishop or Bernier + Garon.

No goaltending duo is safe.

Yzlamic Extremist 01-22-2012 02:03 PM

Watch us end up with Steve Mason, and have him turn into Marc Denis 2.0

The Wyzerhood 01-22-2012 02:10 PM

I think Ben Bishop is the most realistic, cost effective option. He's got upside at 25, but again I'm not sure if he's got the talent to be a 31, which has been a huge issue for us in the past. There would be no harm in acquiring this season though with the logjam situation in net in St.Louis right now.

chasespace 01-22-2012 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got Tocchet (Post 42912163)
Watch us end up with Steve Mason, and have him turn into Marc Denis 2.0

Isn't he already Marc Denis 2.0?

TBLHoser 01-22-2012 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High (Post 42912775)
I think Ben Bishop is the most realistic, cost effective option. He's got upside at 25, but again I'm not sure if he's got the talent to be a 31, which has been a huge issue for us in the past. There would be no harm in acquiring this season though with the logjam situation in net in St.Louis right now.

If they're interested in him, they need to get him soon and have him play more NHL games so he'd be an RFA next season. I believe he'll be a UFA at the end of this season so there will be competition for him.

Maelmoor 01-23-2012 04:58 AM

It's tough choice, yet so important.

Unproven as nr 1
Bernier
Schneider
Harding
Bishop
Enroth

No faith in:
Montoya
Lindback
Desjardins
Helenius

Veterans:
Vokoun
Nabokov

Impossible to get:
Rask

Our own goalie:
Tokarski

All in the unproven category got talent, I think what matters more is if they are up for the task to carry a team, so their mental strengths will matter a lot. I still have lot of hope for Tic, shouldn't forget him.

I Am Beat You 01-23-2012 11:41 AM

I would support us trading for Bishop. That may be the best way to go actually.

LightningStrikes 01-23-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Alaskan Assassin (Post 42963559)
I would support us trading for Bishop. That may be the best way to go actually.

Ditto.

Unless of course, Halak becomes available.