HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Polls - (hockey-related only) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   When would you trade Ovechkin? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1086241)

Sureves 01-21-2012 09:20 AM

When would you trade Ovechkin?

EDIT: Sorry guys, last option should read "End of year the following year assuming no success (ie. top 5 in East)"

Sorry about that ^^^

I've been debating making this thread for some time now. I've held off because these type of threads are usually ridiculous but honestly, at this point I think it may be warranted.

Caps are my 2nd favourite team (or bandwagon team if you prefer) and I love Ovechkin and have defended him tooth and nail in the past.

That said, the Caps are in trouble. They have an insane amount of skill up front in Semin, Ovy, Backstrom, Laich, Johansson; a reasonable backend in Carlson, Wideman, Alzner; and they recently nabbed one of the best goalies in the league (historically at least) at a discount who hasn't performed since arriving in Washington.

They've fired a coach to remedy the situation and it didn't work. They are still putting up 1-3 goals a game which is horrible for a team of that caliber.

It seems like a significant move needs to be made, and I think Ovy makes the most sense (considering what you could get back from them).

Maybe I'm wrong, use your vote and comments to provide your input.

Cheers.

WhiskeyYourTheDevils 01-21-2012 09:33 AM

I'd move him and semin sooner rather than later - the team needs a new culture of leadership that start with work ethic. Team's with lazy leaders who don't bother to backcheck are rarely successful in this league. He plays hard like 2 shifts a game and then floats the rest. He almost never tries to dump and chase, never gets the puck deep, and makes a habit of turning the puck over at the other team's blue line.

Its just not the type of player I'd build my team around as a leader.

Guys like:

Zetterberg
Crosby
Parise
Toews
Datsyuk
Doan
Iginla
Kesler
Alfredsson
Callahan

are all types of players that teams do and should build around. Not just because they are skilled, but because they are great workers and leaders.

SimplySensational 01-21-2012 09:35 AM

Uhh if they don't resign Semin, that's 6.7 million. If they don't resign Green thats 5.5 million.

That's a lot of room for Parise.

Sureves 01-21-2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liberation (Post 42831123)
Uhh if they don't resign Semin, that's 6.7 million. If they don't resign Green thats 5.5 million.

That's a lot of room for Parise.

Not to be rude but I like to call that line of thinking the UFA-Fallacy. Just because you want a player who is a UFA (though I doubt Parise will get there anyway) and are prepared to pay, does not mean that he will choose to come play for your team.

I mean hey, Senators have a lot of cap room too :nod:

Carlzner 01-21-2012 10:37 AM

He brings in to much $$$$$ for them to trade him.

WalterHeisenberg 01-21-2012 11:01 AM

never

Mansfield 01-21-2012 11:33 AM

I'd trade semin tbh. Contrary to what most people here say I think he could net a significant return. I'd also strip ovi of the captaincy.

edit: if they don't re-sign green GMGM should be fired

wubwubwubwub 01-21-2012 11:55 AM

I'd do it for Schneider, Kesler and Edler ++ or something. Might be off but my point is it'd take a ton to land him, at least 2-3 big time players.

Minimalist* 01-21-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The OttoMan (Post 42835411)
I'd do it for Schneider, Kesler and Edler ++ or something.

Thankfully a sober Mike Gillis never would. That is absolutely brutal.

Depends on the return OP. Lets say Anaheim covets Ov and offers Ryan, Fowler, and a 1st for him. As a Caps GM you need to take that offer very seriously. Now, ownership might step in and prevent you from dealing their showstopper, but purely from a GM'ing perspective, you would have to seriously consider it.

unknown33 01-21-2012 12:12 PM

Remember when there were 'When would you trade Malkin?' thread like 5 months ago? :handclap:

wubwubwubwub 01-21-2012 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minimalist (Post 42835857)
Thankfully a sober Mike Gillis never would. That is absolutely brutal.

Depends on the return OP. Lets say Anaheim covets Ov and offers Ryan, Fowler, and a 1st for him. As a Caps GM you need to take that offer very seriously. Now, ownership might step in and prevent you from dealing their showstopper, but purely from a GM'ing perspective, you would have to seriously consider it.

I'd rather Ryan than Kesler and I'd much rather Ducks 1st than Schneider. Edler is obviously much better than Fowler but Fowler does have huge value. Not to mention, I doubt the Cap's deal OV for Ryan, Fowler and 1st.

Minimalist* 01-21-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The OttoMan (Post 42837791)
I'd rather Ryan than Kesler and I'd much rather Ducks 1st than Schneider. Edler is obviously much better than Fowler but Fowler does have huge value. Not to mention, I doubt the Cap's deal OV for Ryan, Fowler and 1st.

Huh?

Badger36 01-21-2012 01:16 PM

Never. Ovi is still one of the best hockey players in the world and you dont trade away a player like that.

ponder 01-21-2012 01:22 PM

This is a team that would be filing for bankruptcy without Ovechkin. I was in Washington years ago, and went to a game during the Jagr era, and it was ridiculous, I've never seen a stadium close to that empty. We were sitting up in the boonies, and managed to sneak down to prime seats, because 90% of the seats in the arena were empty, AND THAT WAS WITH GUYS LIKE JAGR, BONDRA, GONCHAR, NYLANDER, LANG, etc. on the team! There's no way they move Ovechkin, he's the face of the franchise, and they risk returning to borderline insolvency without him. Furthermore, even from a hockey point of view, you virtually never get fair value when trading a superstar like Ovechkin.

begbeee 01-21-2012 02:25 PM

Ryder + Halak + 2nd

Jaded-Fan 01-21-2012 02:36 PM

Pens and Crosby and Malkin fan, who says never.

Fenza 01-21-2012 08:14 PM

You can't move a guy that puts that many people in seats. Even with his high cap hit, that's a price you have to pay to succeed.

aLus 01-21-2012 08:55 PM

Never is the closest answer. I'd trade him in a couple of years if it would improve the team.

Toastman 01-21-2012 08:58 PM

Even though he appears to be declining, he is the face of the franchise. You don't trade players like that, unless they demand it IMO

malPHONEY 01-21-2012 09:32 PM

Reactionary threads, you gotta love em.

octopi 01-21-2012 09:51 PM

You trade other people before the franchise guy, no matter how god awful his slumping is currently.
I think the Caps wouldn't even consider it until another season or two.

Kshahdoo 01-22-2012 07:47 AM

Trade him now for Malkin. Caps fans won't riot because it's Malkin. And Pens fans... Well, perhaps won't as well because it's Ovie. And those fans can always trade jerseys! Imagine how good it'll be for peace and frienship between two hostile fan-bases if they will need to trade jerseys to their counterparts? Both GMs would get Nobel Peace Prize. Or at least could be nominated for it.

Sureves 01-22-2012 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malPHONEY (Post 42880981)
Reactionary threads, you gotta love em.

I have to say I take offense to that. I've defended Ovechkin for almost a full year now. This is anything but reactionary.

Fact is, the Caps are playing terrible hockey (considering their roster) and have already tried changing to a defensive system and firing their head coach. None of these have really helped and the Caps are becoming a offensively-challenged team.

It's clear (to me anyway, Caps fans know better than me) that this team needs an overhaul. The question in my mind is what can you move that would bring the best improvement to the team OR should you wait it out and see if things get better with Kuznetsov and Green, or wait it out even longer past that.

tony d 01-22-2012 03:57 PM

Option 1. The Caps will never trade Ovechkin.

um 01-22-2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiskeyYourTheDevils (Post 42831073)
I'd move him and semin sooner rather than later - the team needs a new culture of leadership that start with work ethic. Team's with lazy leaders who don't bother to backcheck are rarely successful in this league. He plays hard like 2 shifts a game and then floats the rest. He almost never tries to dump and chase, never gets the puck deep, and makes a habit of turning the puck over at the other team's blue line.

Its just not the type of player I'd build my team around as a leader.

Guys like:

Zetterberg
Crosby
Parise
Toews
Datsyuk
Doan
Iginla
Kesler
Alfredsson
Callahan

are all types of players that teams do and should build around. Not just because they are skilled, but because they are great workers and leaders.

i dont think you know who ovechkin is