HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Washington Capitals (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Speculation: 2011 Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part 5 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1086809)

Langway 01-21-2012 07:07 PM

2011 Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part 5

Last one.

txpd 01-21-2012 07:25 PM

whats next after this one?>

Carlzner 01-21-2012 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpd (Post 42869557)
whats next after this one?>

Part 7

G3 LesPaul 01-21-2012 07:42 PM

Gonna throw a name out here that I would like to see on our back end. Allen from Carolina. Thoughts?

txpd 01-21-2012 08:11 PM

b allen is big and hits hard. he is also slow and doesnt move the puck well. how do you think that fits?

NeilYoung 01-21-2012 08:46 PM

Not sure they'd deal him he seems to have stepped up.

Reading Carolinas GDT's they seem to universally like his game a ton more than Gleasons though

G3 LesPaul 01-21-2012 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpd (Post 42872815)
b allen is big and hits hard. he is also slow and doesnt move the puck well. how do you think that fits?

True. What Dale wants and what I would want isn't the same thing...

I like my D-man big and able to be physical. Dale likes his mobile and good puck movers.. I guess that is why I am not in the game :) but then again, what is currently being used isn't working...:(

amjay13 01-21-2012 09:54 PM

Ballard obviously has not been a good fit in Vancouver but I've always been a fan of his game and think he's be an excellent addition if his contract wasn't so large. I suppose if you can include Schultz in a deal then the difference is only 1.5.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz 01-21-2012 10:50 PM

I think Vermette's a decent reclamation project to take on, but only if you can move out Ward's cap hit. His numbers are down, but his PP TOI is down drastically (he's 8th among regular forwards).

Not a stud at 2C, but definitely a solid option there. Good two-way guy that can skate.

When healthy:

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Semin
Johansson-Vermette-Brouwer
Chimera-Laich-Knuble
Hendricks-Halpern-Beagle

Not crazy about the makeup of that first line with regards to board play, defensive effort, and the cycling game, but it's the best place to hide Semin's weaknesses.

And looking at the bottom six: outside of Chimera, there's been a frakking black hole on the wings. Knuble looks done, Hendricks has provided nothing, and Beagle's probably nothing more than a 13th forward (and Eakin needs another year in the AHL).

BPMrules 01-22-2012 12:41 AM

not that anyone cares, but here's how i see the future of our forwards in the next 4 weeks.

Ovechkin- Not going anywhere, too much money invested, and there's always the chance he breaks out of his funk. Plus, he's the captain, and the face of the franchise.
Backstrom- Same, except he's actually performing, when he's in the lineup.
Semin- Our biggest offensive trade chip, but also one of the 2 or 3 players on the roster who can go on a run where he'll score 12 goals in 10 games. it'll take a good deal coming back for him to go.
Johansson- 2c of the future, and 1c of the now. Untouchable. Too much potential, and on a good contract, no way he goes anywhere.
Brouwer- Untouchable, and finally doing what we pay him for
Chimera- Having too good of a year for what we pay him to let him go.
Laich- Underperforming, but could be dealt for the right price, I think, definite captain material, and could be a part of a deal for an impact player coming back.
Knuble- Sadly not fitting into DH's plans, getting relegated to the 4th line. Not performing anywhere near where he was, and certainly not scoring 20g this year. i think he will be dealt to someone looking for a vet, and hoping to squeeze something out of him for a cup run, and to score greasy goals in the playoffs.
Hendricks- Coming around, and showing the toughness we lack. Good energy guy, and can score goals around the net, if he's on the ice when people decide to shoot. Staying here.
Halpern- Doing a good enough job, and winning faceoffs. Not going anywhere.
Perrault- Could be dealt, since he's a young center with upside, and a cheap contract. If he goes, it's for a draft pick, or part of a package.
Beagle- Same as MP85
Eakin- Sticking around, he's gonna be taking Laich's spot on a year or so. No way he goes, unless we actually land a Pronger type star for him.
Ward- A waste of money, and a roster spot. No one's taking him off our hands, so we better hope he shows up in the playoffs, if we make it.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz 01-22-2012 01:17 AM

Agree with a lot of that, with a few differences:

Semin - Emblematic of a lot of the issues the Caps have: dumb play, inconsistent effort, softness. I'd deal him for a better fit.

Hendricks -I don't see how he's coming around. Was just about a 10G, 100 PIM guy last year, but has regressed. He's on pace for 2 goals, 8 points. Those are AHL forward numbers. He also needs to win a fight every once in a while to justify his role.

MP85 & Beagle - Not sure how much upside they have left. I think they are what they are.

Eakin - No chance he takes Laich's spot in a year or so. I think he needs another full season in the AHL. Also think he'd be available for less than a Pronger-type.

Atlas 01-22-2012 01:23 AM

Good stuff, BPM.

I like Hendrick's heart but he's a marginal NHLer. He really can't compete against decent teams. If expansion
and the salary makes it so every team has to have AHLers on the team then Hendricks is as good as any. (Sorry Matt!)

Wideman is an unpredictable mess of a defenseman. I can't wait to see him gone. He's like a random pass generator machine. Erratic and unintelligible.

Laich is so mediocre it hurts.

Mojo still baffles me. I can't project his future game. I don't ever expect him to be good enough to be a game-breaking 2C on a SC winner. But he has talent and could surprise me.

The lacks skill players and toughness. If Green and Backstrom (and Poti) were healthy the PP would be hard to stop.

McPhee twiddled his fingers too long and now Semin and Green may be moving on for a paltry return.

Skill and toughness. Ward is middlin' tough with no skill. Brouwer the same with a little skill. Laich is middlin' to the core. Chimmy has no skill. Knubs is 97 yrs old. It's just bad chemistry because the 2nd stringers are actually 3rd and 4th stringers.

RandyHolt 01-22-2012 07:28 AM

Random Sunday Thought Generator

4th Line Failures. I think 4RW is a place to upgrade. Between Beagle and Knuble, I see room for an upgrade. Knuble should be a 1RW or consider being traded. Brouwer and Ward seemed to have squeezed him out. I want more toughness on 4. MP Eakin Beagle... c'mon. MP should be tried in a more offensive role with Nick out. It's why he is here, his calling in hockey - offense.

If Wideman is a random pass phrase generator then I fear Carlson may be inadvertently being mentored in that regard.

Lets add a dman. We must be one of the youngest D's for a so called tender. Upgrade Ktek for Ballard and move Orlov back to RD.

George McPhee is too enamored with his picks, like only other teams picks have warts. He created our playoff roster last summer. Nice for the players knowing they won't get traded heh. Really George?

George needed to move out core players mired in mediocrity. It may be too late, it should have done it after Montreal. Identify the passengers. Laich is moving from the navigator seat towards economy class but with Nick out, we will keep him.

Passenger List:
Seat A1 Jeff Short Shift Schultz - could have sold high after Montreal. Now, for peanuts. Ward is sitting back there somewhere en de salida. Waiting for the playoffs to see his value may be a dumb endeavor since the playoffs are not guaranteed. Try him at 1 or 2RW, do something to get him going. He should still have plenty of value since many teams wanted him.

txpd 01-22-2012 08:27 AM

* Semin may be emblematic, but he is also one of the very few that create some offense on his own. Seems to be that only he and Johansson are in that catagory now. Ovechkin even is not showing he can do that anymore. Trade him and you won't bring back a player that makes the team better. Unless your goal it to turn the Caps back into a lunch bucket, work ethic team that doesnt want high salary cap hit, elite level talent.

* What's a tender?

* Agree on Hendricks. I am starting think that last year's effort broke him physically.

* Core players mired in mediocrity. Does that include Ovechkin? Which Caps core players are not mired in mediocrity? Alzner and Backstrom and who else?

* Its time to suggest the unthinkable. Fire Dick Patrick. Hire David Poile.

realroadrage 01-22-2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpd (Post 42898421)
Which Caps core players are not mired in mediocrity? Alzner and Backstrom and who else?

Commensurate with salary, I'd add Brouwer, Chimera, Johansson, Wideman, and both goalies to the list of players not mired in mediocrity, with Orlov too early to judge but an honorable mention. Ovechkin is a whole other conversation.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz 01-22-2012 08:46 AM

Semin's creating offense to the tune of a 49-point pace, after 54 points last year, at $6.5M

I'd rather have somebody like Matt Moulson or Curtis Glencross, that's going to work his ass off and still produce at that level (or better).

bonzaibondra12 01-22-2012 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz (Post 42898677)
Semin's creating offense to the tune of a 49-point pace, after 54 points last year, at $6.5M

I'd rather have somebody like Matt Moulson or Curtis Glencross, that's going to work his ass off and still produce at that level (or better).

Semin has 15 pts in his last 18 games. I didn't add up the other guys, but I have a feeling that leads the team over that span.

edit- OV has 15 pts over that same span.

txpd 01-22-2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz (Post 42898677)

thats true. its also true that in the past 15 games, semin has 14 pts. i find that hard to ignore. if there is a player seemingly flourishing under what hunter is teaching, its 28. he seems to be working both hard at his defensive and good offensive zonedecision making and has refound his confidence to deploy is elite stickhandling and shooting skills. during that time has not gone more than a game without a point.

during the same period of 15 games semin is +9 with ONE minus game(-1 v sj) and has one minor penalty in his past 12 games. we have all complained about this player's lack of consistancy. those numbers all point to a consistant performance. his numbers mirror what ovechkin has been doing. as desperate as the caps are for positives from their high end players, i would not ship this guy out right now.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz 01-22-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpd (Post 42899999)
thats true. its also true that in the past 15 games, semin has 14 pts. i find that hard to ignore. if there is a player seemingly flourishing under what hunter is teaching, its 28. he seems to be working both hard at his defensive and good offensive zonedecision making and has refound his confidence to deploy is elite stickhandling and shooting skills. during that time has not gone more than a game without a point.

during the same period of 15 games semin is +9 with ONE minus game(-1 v sj) and has one minor penalty in his past 12 games. as desperate as the caps are for positives from their high end players, i would not ship this guy out right now.

I find it very easy to ignore. It's typical Semin. He has these productive stretches, and then disappears.

txpd 01-22-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by realroadrage (Post 42898571)
Commensurate with salary, I'd add Brouwer, Chimera, Johansson, Wideman, and both goalies to the list of players not mired in mediocrity, with Orlov too early to judge but an honorable mention. Ovechkin is a whole other conversation.

i am fine with all of that. i would only dispute that none of those players are core players. johansson may be pre core. wideman may be potential core should the caps decide to keep him. but per their contract they are all performing at or above thei salary cap hits.

txpd 01-22-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz (Post 42900125)
I find it very easy to ignore. It's typical Semin. He has these productive stretches, and then disappears.

thats fine. without 28 this team is not even above .500 during that stretch. when they have needed him, he has been able to deliver. trade him for a grinder and a prospect and the caps get worse, not better.

if its a matter of shedding cap space to land a high end replacement. is there someone potentially available at the deadline that is capable of creating offense on his own?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz 01-22-2012 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpd (Post 42900225)
thats fine. without 28 this team is not even above .500 during that stretch. when they have needed him, he has been able to deliver. trade him for a grinder and a prospect and the caps get worse, not better.

if its a matter of shedding cap space to land a high end replacement. is there someone potentially available at the deadline that is capable of creating offense on his own?

Again, Semin isn't really creating much offense on his own. And if you're getting a grinder that's making less than he is, while producing at a similar rate, how does that make the team worse?

Vinny Prospal should be available, and is capable of creating offense on his own. He's created more than Semin has this season.

Langway 01-22-2012 10:04 AM

Fun facts:

Colin Greening, Max Talbot & Jordin Tootoo all have as many even-strength points as Semin (19).

Jason Chimera has more (21) and is tied with Ovechkin. Johansson has 22.

G3 LesPaul 01-22-2012 10:17 AM

Here is my player analysis:

Positives
Backstrom- Is our best player
Chimera- Having an amazing year, love his hustle
Halpern- Does the little things right
Brouwer- Plays great, has taken Knubles spot. Physical
Mojo- Despite some minor bad things, he has been pretty decent as of late
Vokoun- Had a rough start but picked up. Not his fault our defense blows
Nuevy- Same as Vokoun
MP85- Kid hustles every night
Orlov- Great rookie year, minus a couple hiccups
Wideman- Our best D-man

Neutral
Ovi- Our leader, isn't doing enough.
Semin- Hot and cold all year. Big sissy
Hendricks- Hasn't really done anything positive or negative

Negative
Ward- Can't hit the net for anything, so bad physically but plays decent on defense
Carlson- What...The....F? Kid looks like garbage this year. Big sissy in the D-zone, way too many turnovers
Laich- Hasn't done anything this year
Knuble- He just looks lost
Hammer- Has played better of late. Blocks shots. Doesn't hit
Alzner- Big sissy on D. Lets people walk right in our crease. Doesn't make that many errors though.
Eakin- Belongs in the AHL. Big sissy
Kundratek- Why bring him up if he just sits?

Nylander
Sarge- Poor sarge
Hunter's crappy defense first system

Well that is my opinion :laugh:
Common theme on our bad players? ;)

NobodyBeatsTheWiz 01-22-2012 10:22 AM

Alzner is a negative, while Neuvirth is a positive? What?