HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   San Jose Sharks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Speculation: All-purpose trade rumors and speculation thread #2 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1086847)

Thorntonfan97 01-21-2012 08:28 PM

All-purpose trade rumors and speculation thread #2

Last ones at 1000

Pinkfloyd 01-21-2012 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magic school bus (Post 42873539)
I'm not sure on the cap numbers, but we'd still have Setoguchi and Coyle if we had overpaid Hamhuis to $5 million. That is worth the overpayment. No offense to Brent Burns meant, but that sounds better to me than where we're at now. (Of course I'm assuming DW stays the heck away from Handzus as a UFA)

I'm saying that we are running out of non-draft pick things - prospects, expendable young roster players. Anyone can trade a ton of picks, but other teams can do that too. They will want good prospects and picks.

Maybe...maybe not. Only time will tell. Having them to deal for something else may have been beneficial but there's no guarantee that giving Hamhuis 5 mil a year is good enough to get him to sign away from Vancouver. It's impossible to tell. The team did what it had to do to address an obvious need that is still more important than forward depth in getting a top end puck-moving d-man that can even play against top competition. That's why they were after Hamhuis in the first place.

They still have enough good prospects to make a trade for what they want. That's all that matters. If they were looking for something like another top d-man, they would be in trouble but they're not. They're looking for someone who will fit on their 3rd line...maybe a second line acquisition. That doesn't require more than what they have.

magic school bus 01-21-2012 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd (Post 42875281)
Maybe...maybe not. Only time will tell. Having them to deal for something else may have been beneficial but there's no guarantee that giving Hamhuis 5 mil a year is good enough to get him to sign away from Vancouver. It's impossible to tell. The team did what it had to do to address an obvious need that is still more important than forward depth in getting a top end puck-moving d-man that can even play against top competition. That's why they were after Hamhuis in the first place.

They still have enough good prospects to make a trade for what they want. That's all that matters. If they were looking for something like another top d-man, they would be in trouble but they're not. They're looking for someone who will fit on their 3rd line...maybe a second line acquisition. That doesn't require more than what they have.

Re: the goalie part (forgot to respond to it in my last post) I was wrong - thought we drafted JP Anderson, but he was signed.

We're getting really close to where trading the picks will start hurting us. 1st, 2nd or 3rd rounders take about 3 years to arrive - which would be right when we would need them to replace parts of te big forwards. It's not a big deal, but it could create a problem if we still cannot sign UFAs. (some of these picks will have top-6 potential)

I'm beginning to think that getting one forward at the deadline won't be enough. Maybe it's been so long since Havlat has played (or been effective) that I'm forgetting how good he is (so we could get by without two), but we still need at least one solid 3rd liner. Two new forwards would be ideal. Shipping out Mitchell and Handzus would be the best way to do it. We can move Pavelski back to center again like we did last year.

SFtoBoston 01-21-2012 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magic school bus (Post 42878637)
\Maybe it's been so long since Havlat has played (or been effective) that I'm forgetting how good he is.

He is a great playmaker. Period.

sjshark91 01-21-2012 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFtoBoston (Post 42879145)
He is a great playmaker. Period.

Too bad he's always hurt.

dwood16 01-21-2012 09:19 PM

Why does eveyone keep talking about Ruutu? He's barely ever even played in the playoffs and wasn't productive. He's good offensively but how is he overall?

BrianSmith 01-21-2012 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwood16 (Post 42879835)
Why does eveyone keep talking about Ruutu? He's barely ever even played in the playoffs and wasn't productive. He's good offensively but how is he overall?

Overall he is physical, decent speed, (especially compared to the sharks), and has the versatility to play LW or RW. He could basically play 1st, 2nd, or 3rd line on our team.

High cap hit, probably high enough that we wouldn't be able to resign him.

Chaotic8 01-22-2012 01:10 AM

Hopefully with the new thread, the Miller to SJ talk ends. I wouldn't want a player that whines to the media playing in teal anyway.

sjshark91 01-22-2012 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaotic8 (Post 42893515)
Hopefully with the new thread, the Miller to SJ talk ends. I wouldn't want a player that whines to the media playing in teal anyway.

Nitty 2.0 eh?

SoupyFIN 01-22-2012 06:29 AM

Quote:

He's the biggest catch at TDL with Hemsky, but when considering Hemsky's injury history- Ruutu has an edge.
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianSmith (Post 42880289)
Overall he is physical, decent speed, (especially compared to the sharks), and has the versatility to play LW or RW. He could basically play 1st, 2nd, or 3rd line on our team.

High cap hit, probably high enough that we wouldn't be able to resign him.

He can play C also, but I wouldn't suggest it until it's the last choice available.

IMO, he does one of these three at or before July 1st:

Option 1: He signs for a discount with a contender, of course the one having the edge that acquired him at TDL. 3M $ caphit, multi-year contract.

Option 2: He signs to play alongside his BFF Koivu at the state of hockey.

Option 3: He stays with the Canes.
Quote:

I don't get it where people have heard this. It was the media not Miller that speculated that Miller is unhappy at Buffalo, and connected his wife to the rumours by saying that he wants to be close to her with a California team.

Miller said to the media himself that the rumours are complete BS, end of discussion.
Quote:

Originally Posted by sjshark91 (Post 42893953)
Nitty 2.0 eh?

You wouldn't whine if you are left to the pressbox? Yeah right.

RainbowDash 01-22-2012 06:50 AM

I wonder exactly when PHX will and if they would sell Doan. He would certainly be a game changer for our playoff run.

WTFetus 01-22-2012 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupyFIN (Post 42897271)
You wouldn't whine if you are left to the pressbox? Yeah right.

I wouldn't whine if I was making 2 million a year. :laugh:

Patty Ice 01-22-2012 06:58 AM

Quote:

Sooooooo you bring it up?

Korolyuk15 01-22-2012 06:59 AM

Hemsky would be nice but I'm not sure what the sharks would send back as they don't really have the young solid D prospect edmonton would want most...

ideas?

SoupyFIN 01-22-2012 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Korolyuk15 (Post 42897467)
Hemsky would be nice but I'm not sure what the sharks would send back as they don't really have the young solid D prospect edmonton would want most...

ideas?

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/phot...23-406-200.gif

One injury-prone Czech is enough for this team.

Korolyuk15 01-22-2012 07:31 AM

but think, if you have two of them then every other game one of them might be able to play....

sharkbite3 01-22-2012 11:33 AM

:bolts
F Torrey Mitchell
G Antero Niittymaki

:sharks
F Steve Downie

Leaves us with about $1.7MM in cap space to make another move at the deadline (Ruutu?) Mitchell and Nitty are two players we don't need. Downie would be a great addition for the playoffs. We could use someone that throws his body around and gets under the other team's skin.

Les Wynan* 01-22-2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

It's not his fault he hasn't played in the playoffs. He played for Chicago up until the year before they stopped being crap and has played for some pretty terrible Canes teams save for the 08-09 squad.

He had two terrific seasons on both sides of the puck from 2008 through 2010. He's been decent the past 1.5 years.

SharkByte32 01-22-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharkbite3 (Post 42903079)
F Torrey Mitchell
G Antero Niittymaki

F Steve Downie

Leaves us with about $1.7MM in cap space to make another move at the deadline (Ruutu?) Mitchell and Nitty are two players we don't need. Downie would be a great addition for the playoffs. We could use someone that throws his body around and gets under the other team's skin.

This would be a fantastic trade for us but it is not going to happen. TB already let Niitty walk, and he is not even proven he is over his latest injury yet. And Mitchell is worth absolutely nothing but a low level grinder or a 6th round pick. There are 200 Mitchell types in the AHL right now.

Thorntonfan97 01-22-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

F Torrey Mitchell
G Antero Niittymaki

F Steve Downie

I would love that trade but as already mentioned it wouldnt happen

SharkByte32 01-22-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Wynan (Post 42903139)
It's not his fault he hasn't played in the playoffs. He played for Chicago up until the year before they stopped being crap and has played for some pretty terrible Canes teams save for the 08-09 squad.
He had two terrific seasons on both sides of the puck from 2008 through 2010. He's been decent the past 1.5 years.

I like Ruutu he was 2nd in the league last year in hits with 309. The guy is a checking machine, something we really need. Plus he can score.

Gilligans Island 01-22-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

F Torrey Mitchell
G Antero Niittymaki

F Steve Downie

If DW could swing that, he probably would have already... Bet Niitty hurt whatever trade value he has left with his poor showing in Worcester this weekend

sharkbite3 01-22-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharkByte32 (Post 42905457)
This would be a fantastic trade for us but it is not going to happen. TB already let Niitty walk, and he is not even proven he is over his latest injury yet. And Mitchell is worth absolutely nothing but a low level grinder or a 6th round pick. There are 200 Mitchell types in the AHL right now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorntonfan97 (Post 42905533)
I would love that trade but as already mentioned it wouldnt happen

What would it take to get Downie? I'm sincerely curious and I've never been great at coming up with realistic trade proposals. Or if we took our sights off of him, who could we get for Nitty/Mitchell? Should Mitchell be replaced by someone with more value?

stalockrox 01-22-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharkbite3 (Post 42906305)
What would it take to get Downie? I'm sincerely curious and I've never been great at coming up with realistic trade proposals. Or if we took our sights off of him, who could we get for Nitty/Mitchell? Should Mitchell be replaced by someone with more value?

The Sharks won't get a player that will help them this season for Niitty and / or Mitchell. The most either will get alone is a late draft pick.

Mitchell's actually been one of the better players the past few games but Wilson should be trying to find an upgrade for him.

SharksAddict 01-22-2012 12:41 PM

I have a feeling Rutuu is going to cost a lot more in assets than people think. He's arguably the best forward available and seemingly every contender is looking for another top 6 forward right now. Going to be a lot of suitors for him.