HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Polls - (hockey-related only) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Is Erik Karlsson a diver? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1087109)

SP 01-22-2012 02:44 AM

Is Erik Karlsson a diver?

http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/01/21/...rlsson-a-diver
Quote:

But their coach had plenty to say about referee Dan O’Rourke’s explanation after Ryan Getzlaf was not penalized for chopping down Erik Karlsson with just over a minute left in Saturday’s 2-1 loss.

“The referee informed us that Karl was a diver. We were a little bit disappointed,” said Paul MacLean.
Nevermind the fact that that's a stupid reason not to call a penalty. Is Dan O'Rourke right? Is Erik Karlsson a diver?

Searching google, youtube and hfboards for "Erik Karlsson dive" and variations thereof turns up nothing relevant.

He has taken one diving penalty in his career, March 13th of last season against Buffalo. After some searching, I've been unable to turn up any video of it to make my own judgement, maybe someone else can find it.
The best I could do was find Buffalo's GDT of the game. The only comment in the entire thread about the penalty came from BUCKSHOT.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUCKSHOT (Post 31644618)
rarely do I agree with that call (a hook and a dive at the same time), but this time it was the right call IMO

So the vast majority of a fanbase that hates Ottawa didn't care enough to post about the dive, and the only person that did comment on it felt it was more of an embellishment than a dive. That leads me to believe that it was a marginal call at worst.

So there we have it. Is Erik Karlsson a diver?

LiquidSnake 01-22-2012 03:02 AM

He did dive to try and draw a call tonight. Seems like he has a rep. I guess he is.

MastuhNinks 01-22-2012 03:18 AM

I don't think he dives frequently enough to be considered one but I think the no call by the ref was right.

crazy Kassian 01-22-2012 03:21 AM

I don't think it's fair for the refs to label him so early in his career...

Tough guy 204 pound Dustin Brown falls more then 160 pound Erik Karlsson (I think that was how much he weighed a year ago)

overtherainbow 01-22-2012 03:25 AM

Every player dives. Just because they aren't documented on youtube or on a news article doesnt mean they don't. If touching your face after you get highsticked will get your a team a chance to score a goal, then obviously every player will do that.

Anyway, refs determine who they think is a diver with their personal experience, not by the rival fanbase on a message board. It's unfortunate that Karlsson has a diving rep this early in his career, but theres nothing he can do about it.

SP 01-22-2012 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overtherainbow (Post 42895977)
Anyway, refs determine who they think is a diver with their personal experience, not by the rival fanbase on a message board.

I think you're missing the point of the poll. I'm asking if people on a message board agree with the referee based on their own personal experience. Not sure where you got the idea that I thought Buffalo Sabres fans on HFBoards tell O'Rourke whether or not a player is a diver.

And lacking video evidence, it's tough to determine the validity of a diving call. I figure the opinions of a rival fanbase are the least likely to be biased in Karlsson's favour. If you have a better idea, feel free to share it.

JacobimMugatu 01-22-2012 03:34 AM

I've never considered EK a diver

overtherainbow 01-22-2012 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SP (Post 42896079)
I think you're missing the point of the poll. I'm asking if people on a message board agree with the referee based on their own personal experience. Not sure where you got the idea that I thought Buffalo Sabres fans on HFBoards tell O'Rourke whether or not a player is a diver.

And lacking video evidence, it's tough to determine the validity of a diving call. I figure the opinions of a rival fanbase are the least likely to be biased in Karlsson's favour. If you have a better idea, feel free to share it.

That's absolutely fair.

What I got from your post was that you were looking for affirmation whether or not Karlsson dives, or has the reputation of diving. I concluded that every player dives (whether you agree or not thats fine), and the ref has said that Karlsson has a reputation of diving. Not all reputations are deserved. Some could just be a bad first impression.

For your second part what I mean is that ultimately, its what the refs think that affects the outcome of the game, and whether or not they'll call more or less penalties for/against Karlsson. Which is why I discredited your line of thinking regarding fans' opinions.

jbeck5 01-22-2012 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidSnake (Post 42895675)
He did dive to try and draw a call tonight. Seems like he has a rep. I guess he is.

He has a rep based on one marginal call at best?

SP 01-22-2012 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overtherainbow (Post 42896383)
For your second part what I mean is that ultimately, its what the refs think that affects the outcome of the game, and whether or not they'll call more or less penalties for/against Karlsson. Which is why I discredited your line of thinking regarding fans' opinions.

That was my attempt to supply context for the diving penalty he received last season. With a call like diving, you really need to see it to decide for yourself. Since I'm unable to see it myself, I used anecdotal evidence from the least biased (in Karlsson's favour) source I could find.

jbeck5 01-22-2012 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SP (Post 42896475)
That was my attempt to supply context for the diving penalty he received last season. With a call like diving, you really need to see it to decide for yourself. Since I'm unable to see it myself, I used anecdotal evidence from the least biased (in Karlsson's favour) source I could find.

Seems pretty fair to me...

vippe 01-22-2012 04:17 AM

I never heard anything about that before

NugentHopkinsfan 01-22-2012 04:18 AM

NO he most certainly is not!

joe89 01-22-2012 04:52 AM

Refs don't call dives as they see them(most time they just let the play continue), so it's near impossible to keep track on it based on statistics.

The guy plays 25 minutes a game, incidents happen.

NyQuil 01-22-2012 08:47 AM

The fact that, on the play in question, he kept trying to make a pass from his knees tells you all you need to know.

Real divers throw their arms forward and then scream at the refs while play is still going on.

Smeddy 01-22-2012 09:06 AM

I'd like anyone who voted yes to prove it.

Sureves 01-22-2012 09:07 AM

I was surprised to hear that as well because I don't think he's a diver.

That said, on this particular play: yes he dove and there shouldn't have been a penalty - or you could call 2 minutes each (which would obviously make Sens worse off)

Minister of Offence 01-22-2012 09:08 AM

He's small and he's always got the puck. He's also the quickest dman in the league and he loves carrying the puck through traffic and dangerous areas.

This results in a large large number of borderline stick infractions in key times of games when refs don't want to make a call but have to. Sometimes it gets to a point where his body language is whining for a call because without it he will eventually turn the puck over.

Not sure if that plays a part, just an observation that whenever a ref does an OTT game they have crucial calls to make because of the way he plays.

Wouldn't be surprised if they didn't like how he reacted to the evander Kane incident but that's a little lame, refs "didn't see" that one.

Minister of Offence 01-22-2012 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sureves (Post 42899109)
I was surprised to hear that as well because I don't think he's a diver.

That said, on this particular play: yes he dove and there shouldn't have been a penalty - or you could call 2 minutes each (which would obviously make Sens worse off)

I agree with this but to be honest I think he was falling anyways. No dive, no penalty. Would explain why he fell and bounced up while trying to make a play.

Even though I thInk he was just falling on his own, the play struck my attention because at first glance it was a play that ALWAYS is called and Ottawa had just been a man down for a soft trip on condra.

Sureves 01-22-2012 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minister of Offence (Post 42899213)
I agree with this but to be honest I think he was falling anyways. No dive, no penalty. Would explain why he fell and bounced up while trying to make a play.

Even though I thInk he was just falling on his own, the play struck my attention because at first glance it was a play that ALWAYS is called and Ottawa had just been a man down for a soft trip on condra.

Yeah and I pretty much agree with that, he was definitely falling but he definitely helped it out a fair bit.

And that Condra call was horrible given the time of game it was called (something that is unfortunately the norm in the NHL)

Minister of Offence 01-22-2012 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sureves (Post 42899275)
Yeah and I pretty much agree with that, he was definitely falling but he definitely helped it out a fair bit.

And that Condra call was horrible given the time of game it was called (something that is unfortunately the norm in the NHL)

I didn't think he helped himself fall I think he may have been falling without any help. Like, falling on his own unintentionally.

sensfan191919 01-22-2012 09:30 AM

If nobody saw the video, here it is.

and no i dont think it was a dive

Sureves 01-22-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minister of Offence (Post 42899479)
I didn't think he helped himself fall I think he may have been falling without any help. Like, falling on his own unintentionally.

Hmm not me, I think he purposefully made it look worse than it was. To each his own.

Minister of Offence 01-22-2012 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sureves (Post 42900959)
Hmm not me, I think he purposefully made it look worse than it was. To each his own.

Yeah I changed my mind after seeing it again anyways.

Refs made the right non-call here. Funny, because usually they make the wrong one on the same play.

Pi 01-22-2012 10:25 AM

I've never seen EK dive in the games I've seen, where is this coming from?