HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Rangers dominating when outshooting opponents (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1087255)

Garfinkel1 01-22-2012 11:17 AM

Rangers dominating when outshooting opponents

Rangers win 78.9% of the time when outshooting opponents.

The next closest is Washington with 70.6%
3rd closest is Detroit with 65.6%

Why are the Rangers significantly better then anyone in the league when outshooting their opponents?

Giacomin 01-22-2012 11:50 AM

When you have a strong defense and Great Goaltending which the Rangers have it seems like it would make sense that if you outshot your opponent you should win most of your games. This is just a general observation. Either way The Rangers look like they are built to go on a nice 4-7 year run:)

Fitzy 01-22-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 (Post 42902529)
Rangers win 78.9% of the time when outshooting opponents.

The next closest is Washington with 70.6%
3rd closest is Detroit with 65.6%

Why are the Rangers significantly better then anyone in the league when outshooting their opponents?

The first reason is that we don't do it that often, so the sample size is small.

The second may be that we are not a very shot-happy club, the team tends to cycle and build and try not to waste possession with a low percentage shot. If we are outshooting the opposition it means we are truly dominating the game.

Clowes Line 01-22-2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitzy (Post 42904347)
The first reason is that we don't do it that often, so the sample size is small.

Just made my day :laugh:

BlueshirtBlitz 01-22-2012 12:06 PM

Well Fitzy's right, the first thing I thought was that the sample size is probably pretty small.

Shadowrunner 01-22-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

The second may be that we are not a very shot-happy club, the team tends to cycle and build and try not to waste possession with a low percentage shot. If we are outshooting the opposition it means we are truly dominating the game.

Actually, I think your second point is much more relevant to this team. I remember in the days of Renney we averaged something like 30+ shots per game, and often flirted with 40. And yet our GPG was abysmal because the vast majority of those shots were low % outside or bad angle shots that amounted to nothing. The "pros" were bewildered over us dominating teams in shots and having nothing to show for it. It's also why I cringe whenever Joe lauds a player for shooting the puck just for the sake of shooting, or the Garden faithful yelling "Shoot the puck!" on top of their lungs.

In this league you're not going to score goals with just "shots on goal." You need to break down the D, catch the goalie moving or screen him, etc. Otherwise you're just padding his stats and making him look like Roy, which is another thing Renney's teams were amazing at.

That said, I think that our cycling style certainly could use a bit more creativity. Many of our goals tend to be due to bounces we get from simply being in the offensive zone for so long (think Gabby's first goal yesterday), rather than the result of a good, smart play. I can understand the Boyle line cycling till the cows come home, but guys like Richards, Gabby and Stepan ought to have the freedom to get a bit more creative.

Florida Ranger 01-22-2012 12:47 PM

Keep throwing it at net, boys

NewYorkStranger 01-22-2012 04:32 PM

Quote:

There are 13 teams with a worse shot differential than us. It doesn't happen as infrequently as you think. The reason is because our defense and goaltending are tremendous.

Machinehead 01-22-2012 05:04 PM

The thing I'm even more excited about is being 21-2 after scoring first.

DM Smiths 01-22-2012 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident (Post 42904401)
Just made my day :laugh:

Haha, so true though.

Evolved83 01-23-2012 01:34 PM

I think its because teams are expecting a grinding type of game rather than playing a skilled, tic-tac-toe game, and when we do get a number of shots on goal, we kinda surprise them. That is my theory anyway lol