HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Is Jordan Weal a "real" prospect (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1088033)

hangons 01-23-2012 01:42 AM

Is Jordan Weal a "real" prospect
 
Hey guys... I have never seen him play. His stats are sick being that he has almost 50 points more than the next closest guy on his team. That is crazy.

http://whl.ca/stats/show/type/skater...238/subtype/14

Is this guy just the next Kozun, Vey, Azevedo or does he have a shot to play in the NHL?

Fishhead 01-23-2012 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hangons (Post 42953509)
Hey guys... I have never seen him play. His stats are sick being that he has almost 50 points more than the next closest guy on his team. That is crazy.

http://whl.ca/stats/show/type/skater...238/subtype/14

Is this guy just the next Kozun, Vey, Azevedo or does he have a shot to play in the NHL?

Hard to say at this stage.

Azevedo has probably missed his window with the Kings, but I wouldn't put Kozun or Vey in the no-shot-at-the-NHL group just yet. Heck, Vey is only a year older than Weal.

tigermask48 01-23-2012 07:24 AM

Well, he signed a 3-year deal with the Kings last year after his junior season ended so he is obviously in the Kings plans for the next few years. Thing with Weal is that even if his scoring doesn't translate to the AHL or NHL he is still a gritty enough and fast enough skater to be effective in a bottom 6 role at the NHL level. His main issue is going to be his size and whether he can stay healthy. Keep in mind that Azevedo was one of the last forwards sent to Manchester this year not named Loki, so even he could still be in the Kings plans. Of course that could also be viewed as being his last shot at the Kings. Kozun and Vey are both also viable options to make the Kings in the next few years. Vey especially has looked decent for stretches in Manchester while Kozun still takes too many bad penalties but is getting better.

Back to Weal, the one thing that is encouraging is that his numbers haven't fell off since he isn't skating with Eberle anymore and that's very much a good sign.

kingsfan 01-23-2012 09:35 AM

I'd at least let him play a full season at the pro level (AHL/ECHL) before making a further judgement on him. Odds are severely against him as only a handful of players in the past 30 years have been regular NHLers are that type of height/weight combination, but he deserves a chance to at least prove himself at the minor league level first.

Gentle Ben Kenobi 01-23-2012 10:05 AM

He's the weal thing.

Capn Brown 01-23-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo (Post 42959907)
He's the weal thing.


He's the weal deal?

Gentle Ben Kenobi 01-23-2012 10:56 AM

**** just got weal

Pucknut50 01-23-2012 01:31 PM

Weal know in a few years.

eleventy 01-23-2012 01:33 PM

This thread just took a turn for the hilarious.

drugold 01-23-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eleventy (Post 42969199)
This thread just took a turn for the hilarious.

It Wealy did

KINGS17 01-23-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo (Post 42961809)
**** just got weal

Yeah man, what happened? You stay up too late last night?

LombardiTool 01-23-2012 02:04 PM

Everything I have heard about him tends to lean towards him being more like Azevado. I am holding out hope though.

brandon4679 01-23-2012 02:12 PM

known the kid since I was 6 he's got unbelievable hands, top end speed, always works his tail off I would think it's fair to say he is carrying the pats to the playoffs this year too he was drafted in the 3rd round mainly due to his size he still needs time imo to get bigger before he gets a taste of the nhl but at this point I wouldn't doubt him hes had a lot of doubters and proved a lot of people wrong hes just got too much skill and determination

tigermask48 01-23-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LombardiTool (Post 42970727)
Everything I have heard about him tends to lean towards him being more like Azevado. I am holding out hope though.

How so? Azevedo is creative playmaking C who's main weakness is his skating and top end speed, who is at his best when he's creating chances for his wings, but is weak on the defensive side of the game. Weal's main strengths are his defensive game, his skating and speed, and his ability to create chances for himself off of those strengths. Other than the size issue Azevedo, and Weal are almost nothing alike in terms of how they play the game. Azevedo is very much the type of player that needs to be in a scoring role or nothing at all, but Weal has the hockey sense to be effective in either a scoring role or in a checking/PK role (which is where I could see him latching on with the Kings.)

Gentle Ben Kenobi 01-23-2012 03:40 PM

'Cause I keeps it Weal like that!

LombardiTool 01-23-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigermask48 (Post 42974753)
How so? Azevedo is creative playmaking C who's main weakness is his skating and top end speed, who is at his best when he's creating chances for his wings, but is weak on the defensive side of the game. Weal's main strengths are his defensive game, his skating and speed, and his ability to create chances for himself off of those strengths. Other than the size issue Azevedo, and Weal are almost nothing alike in terms of how they play the game. Azevedo is very much the type of player that needs to be in a scoring role or nothing at all, but Weal has the hockey sense to be effective in either a scoring role or in a checking/PK role (which is where I could see him latching on with the Kings.)

What I meant is his scoring will not translate in the pro ranks.

tigermask48 01-23-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LombardiTool (Post 42981023)
What I meant is his scoring will not translate in the pro ranks.

Yeah but like I said even if it doesn't translate he can still end up as a serviceable thrid or fourth line guy that can be used as a PK guy. His hockey sense and checking skill are his big strengths. He still can be a decent NHLer if his scoring doesn't translate.

backhander 01-23-2012 05:58 PM

i started reading the thread then half way through I don't care about Weal....just the "weal" jokes being made!!!

FrozenKing18 01-23-2012 06:18 PM

LOL at the Weal jokes

GuyInARoom 01-23-2012 06:28 PM

Damn, the Weals fell off this thread in a hurry.

TwoForRoughing 01-23-2012 06:45 PM

I doubt the points will carry over, but he's definitely the weal deal.

hangons 01-23-2012 07:15 PM

Since we're on topic... anybody think we should resign Wealy Mitchell?

The Black1963 01-23-2012 08:01 PM

Weal eventually find out if the kids the weal deal or not.

From what I've heard, he has pretty good set of weals. Weally!

tigermask48 01-23-2012 08:13 PM

http://rlv.zcache.com/elmer_fudds_gu...8z8wpb_400.jpg

Elmer Fudd stamp of Approval for the use W in this thread...

Sybil227 01-23-2012 08:25 PM

You picked a fine time to leave me, loose Weal....


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:56 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.