HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Playoffs start today. Who wins? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1088333)

Kriss E 01-23-2012 02:10 PM

Playoffs start today. Who wins?

Pretty self explanatory.
I adjusted the standings according to Points per game in order to have the proper match ups.
Opening rounds would be:

Eastern Conference
(not sure why Boston is not at #1 in the standings, but they are when looking at Pt %)

BOS vs WSH
NYR vs NJ
FLA vs OTT
PHI vs PIT

Western Conference

STL vs MIN
VAN vs LA
SJ vs NSH
DET vs CHI

Keep in mind the injuries and eventual match ups in later rounds.

In the East, I can envision a Washington vs Pittsburgh match up for the Conference Finals. Washington going forward this time around.
In the West, I see St-Louis facing Chicago in the conference finals. Chicago moving forward.

A Cup final between Washington and Chicago, giving the edge to the Caps.

OneSharpMarble 01-23-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kriss E (Post 42971187)
Pretty self explanatory.
I adjusted the standings according to Points per game in order to have the proper match ups.
Opening rounds would be:

Eastern Conference
(not sure why Boston is not at #1 in the standings, but they are when looking at Pt %)

BOS vs WSH
NYR vs NJ
FLA vs OTT
PHI vs PIT

Western Conference

STL vs MIN
VAN vs LA
SJ vs NSH
DET vs CHI

Keep in mind the injuries and eventual match ups in later rounds.

In the East, I can envision a Washington vs Pittsburgh match up for the Conference Finals. Washington going forward this time around.
In the West, I see St-Louis facing Chicago in the conference finals. Chicago moving forward.

A Cup final between Washington and Chicago, giving the edge to the Caps.

As for the Habs, we would pick 7th. Who would we pick? If no surprises happen, like Grigorenko still being available, or if we move up, I can't help but like Zemgus Girgensons. That's considering we pick a forward. I do have the feeling we'll draft a Dman and so, Griffin Reinhart is on my watch as well.

I could see Galchenyuk being a viable option at 7th overall.

JHabs61 01-23-2012 02:25 PM

Eastern Conference

BOS(3) vs WSH(4)
NYR(4) vs NJ(2)
FLA(3) vs OTT(4)
PHI(4) vs PIT(1)

Western Conference

STL(4) vs MIN(2)
VAN(3) vs LA(4)
SJ(1) vs NSH(4)
DET(2) vs CHI(4)

ROUND 2

East

OTT(1) vs WSH(4)
NYr(4) vs PHI(3)

West

CHI(4) vs NSH(2)
LA(4) vs MIN(1)

ECF

WSH(3) vs NYR(4) (Lundqvist is key in the win)

WCF

LA(2) vs CHI(4)

STANLEY CUP FINAL

NYR(0) vs CHI(4)

We draft Galchenyuk at 5-6th Overall.

:)

Kriss E 01-23-2012 02:28 PM

I'd be surprised if Galchenyuk is still available.

Vincent01 01-23-2012 02:29 PM

If Galchenyuk and Forsberg have already been picked, I wouldn't mind choosing Jacob Trouba even if our needs are good forwards. That guy will become a stud, book it.

Captain Smurf 01-23-2012 02:36 PM

BOS (4) vs WSH (2)
NYR (4) vs NJ (2)
FLA (1) vs OTT (4)
PHI (3) vs PIT (4)

BOS (3) vs OTT (4)
NYR (4) vs PIT (2)

NYR (4) vs OTT (1)

Western Conference

STL (4) vs MIN (0)
VAN (4) vs LA (2)
SJ (4) vs NSH (3)
DET (2) vs CHI (4)

STL (2) vs CHI (4)
VAN (4) vs SJ (1)

VAN (4) vs CHI (2)

Finals

NYR (2) vs VAN (4)

And we draft one of Grigorenko, Galchenyuk, Trouba, Gaunce or Rielly, depending on who is available.

holyhabs87 01-23-2012 02:47 PM

We should trade with the Oilers for a top 3 pick. They need a dman this year, don't you think? After top 3 there is drop off. This draft isn't that good.

habitue* 01-23-2012 02:51 PM

Gaunce is my pick. Big tall two-way center who is already mature beyond his age.

Kriss E 01-23-2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holyhabs87 (Post 42973543)
We should trade with the Oilers for a top 3 pick. They need a dman this year, don't you think? After top 3 there is drop off. This draft isn't that good.

It isn't?..
I was under the impression that this was a good draft year.

Boardish 01-23-2012 03:00 PM

Better than last year draft.

First round is really good IMO. Would be better for us if there were more forwards available though.

I think Galchenyuk could still be there at 7 with a little luck.

PricePkPatch 01-23-2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holyhabs87 (Post 42973543)

Weber + Diaz for 1st?

Captain Smurf 01-23-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kriss E (Post 42973931)
It isn't?..
I was under the impression that this was a good draft year.

It's very top heavy, but doesn't really have the depth of really good draft years. Then again, we're picking high so it doesn't really matter for us.

FF de Mars 01-23-2012 03:22 PM

I wouldn't mind Matteau

Kriss E 01-23-2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Smurf (Post 42975289)
It's very top heavy, but doesn't really have the depth of really good draft years. Then again, we're picking high so it doesn't really matter for us.

I consider this year a good draft year.
A year like 2003 is unbelievable, not good. NYR and STL are the only two teams that missed out on having any at least decent contributor to their team out of the first round.

I think this year will be good. You can get a very good player picking in the top10 imo. Obviously, the top 5 is of better quality, but that's only normal.

PricePkPatch 01-23-2012 03:44 PM

So many Ds in the top..

Let's say we only have a #7-9 draft pick, do we go for a D if it the beat available, or we still bet on a forward?

Ginu 01-23-2012 03:48 PM

We're not 7th if the teams behind us win their games in hand.

Hackett 01-23-2012 04:08 PM

Watch out for the blues. They are my darkhorse. Vancouver and boston are probably the only teams in there with no big holes but I don't find them to be dominating either. Should be an interesting playoff even though the habs probably wont be involved

Kriss E 01-23-2012 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ginu (Post 42977055)

I guess you missed the part of the title that says POs start TODAY.
So, points per game is what the standing is based on, and today, we are 24th, which would give us a 7th pick.

I don't think we have a chance to make the POs, so I hope we become sellers and drop further down the standings. But, as of today, we'd get the 7th pick.

neofury* 01-23-2012 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ginu (Post 42977055)

Exactly. We're a lottery team pretty much.

I hope we pick top 3.

Monctonscout 01-23-2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habitue (Post 42973869)
Gaunce is my pick. Big tall two-way center who is already mature beyond his age.

He is not top 10 worthy with his Chipchura like boots.

PricePkPatch 01-23-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neofury (Post 42978429)
Exactly. We're a lottery team pretty much.

I hope we pick top 3.

Let's say we pick #3, and Nail and Vic are gone, who do you pick?

Murray, Forsberg or Collberg?

neofury* 01-23-2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kriss E (Post 42978411)
I guess you missed the part of the title that says POs start TODAY.
So, points per game is what the standing is based on, and today, we are 24th, which would give us a 7th pick.

I don't think we have a chance to make the POs, so I hope we become sellers and drop further down the standings. But, as of today, we'd get the 7th pick.

True. 7th is kinda good I guess. Better than some bs 14th pick that's for sure.

I guess BAP even if it's a d-man. Reason I say it is because 7th you likely won't get a superstar forward, you could but I'd only take the best player available at that point. Highest likelihood of superstar whether it's D or forward. I trust TT to make the right decision.

SouthernHab 01-23-2012 04:18 PM

Rangers vs Canucks.

Rangers win in 6.

As far as the draft, we will probably select a 5 foot 9 defenseman.;)

neofury* 01-23-2012 04:20 PM

The real question is whose 2nd do we acquire and use to scoop Malcolm Subban out of the draft ;) I know we have Price but he'd be a good backup at first like Vancouver has, and then you could just eventually trade him for assets you need. I suspect we might have 2 2nd round picks this year if at deadline Moen/Gill get dealt.

overlords 01-23-2012 04:23 PM

I had to change the title of the thread, and will possibly have to move posts. We already have a draft thread. Keep all draft related talk there.