HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   The Chief (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1090117)

Megustaelhockey 01-25-2012 09:40 AM

The Chief

Does anyone know what happened to him? Did he die? Is it true what Wikipedia says that he lost his season tickets because he exposed himself at a game?

I just think it's strange to include him in the pre-game pump up video, and there's no solid information out there about him...

SnowShoes 01-25-2012 09:58 AM

Dont quote me on this, but I had heard a while back that he passed away. Not ceratin of this tho?
He was a fixture at all Ranger games, running around the arena with the headband, pumping up the crowd.
Funny story. I got his autograph on a poster they were handing out at the 94 Cup parade.
Ya think its worth anything??? lol

nrf83 01-25-2012 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megustaelhockey (Post 43090745)
Does anyone know what happened to him? Did he die? Is it true what Wikipedia says that he lost his season tickets because he exposed himself at a game?

I just think it's strange to include him in the pre-game pump up video, and there's no solid information out there about him...

For a moment I thought we were talking about Jim Neilson:help:

Blueshirt Special 01-25-2012 10:29 AM

Don't quote me

I think he died quite a few years ago. To my recollection, sometime before the lockout.

And he was not at too many games after '97 as I understand he was very sick.

But take this FWIW: I have zero first-hand or even 2nd hand real knowledge.

I DO rememnber that he was at a lot more games prior to '94. and yes, he used to wear a large Indian Chief head dress and jog around the arena.

Dorado* 01-25-2012 10:32 AM

The chief has been surpassed in creepy weirdness by " Lutzy" AKA "Chewbacca" the bearded vendor .The chief was fairly old when I was a 1st grader back in 1977 or so going to games up in 422 . I'd have to imagine he is either passed or too old to don the head dress .

Giacomin 01-25-2012 10:45 AM

:handclap:The Chief was always a favorite of mine when I went to games in HS. The crowd always fed off of him. There was also a fixture named Fuzzy a bald headed guy with a long beard. He has been going to almost every Mets,Yanks and Rangers game since the late 70,s. I haven,t seen Fuzzy as often so I was pleasantly surprised to see him outside of Citizens Bank Park before the WC. It is fans like these that make going to the games in person special whether you like them or hate them
Lets here it for our great New York Fans over the years
The Chief
Firemen ED
The Sign Man at Shea-Pre 1980
Dancing Harry of the 1970,s Knicks
Dancing Larry-Present Rangers
Freddy - bang the pot Yanks
Cow Bell man - Mets
Fuzzy-Mets,Yanks, Rangers
In the big picture we are all better fans for are so-called oddball die hard fans!:handclap:

Mr Atoz* 01-25-2012 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris6net (Post 43093317)
:handclap:The Chief was always a favorite of mine when I went to games in HS. The crowd always fed off of him. There was also a fixture named Fuzzy a bald headed guy with a long beard. He has been going to almost every Mets,Yanks and Rangers game since the late 70,s. I haven,t seen Fuzzy as often so I was pleasantly surprised to see him outside of Citizens Bank Park before the WC. It is fans like these that make going to the games in person special whether you like them or hate them.

Someone that knew Fuzzy pretty well (a scalper) told me he died of AIDS about 25 years ago. And he told me that 25 years ago. Yet Fuzzy somehow goes on. I haven't seen him in a zillion years since I rarely sit in nosebleed seats anymore but no one ever forgets Fuzzy. Sometime in the early 80's we were sitting in the blue seats for a college basketball doubleheader and who was sitting in the next section but Igor. So we yelled over to Igor "Where's Fuzzy?" And without saying a word (which was so Igor) he just pointed downstairs and we fell out of our seats laughing..

Ih8theislanders 01-25-2012 08:33 PM

Last I heard was that he moved to Florida and passed

JeffMangum 01-25-2012 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nrf83 (Post 43091569)
For a moment I thought we were talking about Jim Neilson:help:

So did I.

Very confusing. :laugh:

Giacomin 01-25-2012 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Atoz (Post 43121609)
Someone that knew Fuzzy pretty well (a scalper) told me he died of AIDS about 25 years ago. And he told me that 25 years ago. Yet Fuzzy somehow goes on. I haven't seen him in a zillion years since I rarely sit in nosebleed seats anymore but no one ever forgets Fuzzy. Sometime in the early 80's we were sitting in the blue seats for a college basketball doubleheader and who was sitting in the next section but Igor. So we yelled over to Igor "Where's Fuzzy?" And without saying a word (which was so Igor) he just pointed downstairs and we fell out of our seats laughing..

Fuzzy is still around as I saw him outside the WC. I know Igor another great character passed awhile. Igor always sat in the Blueseats with Fuzzy for every game.

Mr Atoz* 01-25-2012 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris6net (Post 43122001)
Fuzzy is still around as I saw him outside the WC. I know Igor another great character passed awhile. Igor always sat in the Blueseats with Fuzzy for every game.

That's why I didn't bother telling you who Igor was. If you knew Fuzzy, you knew Igor.

TonyTheGr8 01-25-2012 09:47 PM

Fuzzy has/had season tickets for the Rangers and the Devils. He used to sit in my wife's section. He's had some health issues the past few years, and was homeless at one time. My wife still sees him at the games from time to time and he still has at least a partial plan for the Devs. No sure about his Rangers tix though, I was at the game last night and walked past his section (believe he sits around 406), and didn't see him..but then, I wasn't really looking too hard.

The Chief by the way, did die a few years ago..may have been around 08..I remember reading about it in the paper.

TonyTheGr8 01-25-2012 10:00 PM

An article I found on the Chief via the links on wikipedia:

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/10/25/ny...-politics.html

And according to this, it looks like he passed away in 2006 (2nd to last obituary).

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/200...-plantation-fl

Gardner McKay 01-25-2012 10:03 PM

Can some one fill me in on who the Chief is?

TonyTheGr8 01-25-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR (Post 43125809)

The 2 articles I posted give a little insight, but I never met him personally.

Jabroni 01-25-2012 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR (Post 43125809)

A fan who wore a headpiece with feathers, looking like an Indian Chief.

He is in the MSG intro video before every Ranger game.

Swept In Seven 01-25-2012 10:33 PM

Seriously doubt that he exposed himself :laugh:

White Plains Batman 01-25-2012 10:45 PM

Good guy. I have fond memories of him calling into Steve Sommers Late Night Show on WFAN back the late 80s/early 90s. He was part of the older generation of fans who only attended sparingly after 94. He did pass a few years back. He was hardcore. RIP. Part of the Garden History.

savebyrichter35 01-25-2012 10:52 PM

Fuzzy is certainly still around. I saw him last night at the game and I feel like I've seen him much more this year than I have the past 2 years or so. Aside from the Rangers, Devils, Mets, and Yankees season tickets, I also heard he has/had Bridgeport Sound Tiger season tickets. It still baffles me and many of my friends how he can afford season tickets for any team, never mind 5 teams.

NYRFAN218 01-25-2012 11:36 PM

Chief passed away a while ago, I believe someone called into Steve Somers show and reported it. He actually had the seats next to ours and my fathers told me stories about how he'd run around MSG and how he used to interview people with his little recorder. From what I know, he didn't have his tickets anymore after the 94 season.

He actually worked at Brennan and Carr here in Brooklyn in the 90's. My uncle spotted him and went "you're the chief" to which he gave him a little shhhh. Was glad to see they included the chief in the intro video that they still play a couple of years ago.

NYRThePuck 01-26-2012 12:45 AM

Attended my first Ranger game in 1968 (7 years old). Remembered the chief from way back. Was a regular on Steve Somers overnight. Spoke to him back in 94 right before Stanley Cup game 7. I sat in section 408, row E, seat 5.

ThisYearsModel 01-26-2012 01:44 AM

I remember the Chief. Met him several times many years ago. Seemed like a very nice man. Did not know that he actually was employed by the Garden until I read the obit above. Now, all we have is that doofus Dancing Larry.

TonyTheGr8 01-26-2012 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by savebyrichter35 (Post 43127511)
Fuzzy is certainly still around. I saw him last night at the game and I feel like I've seen him much more this year than I have the past 2 years or so. Aside from the Rangers, Devils, Mets, and Yankees season tickets, I also heard he has/had Bridgeport Sound Tiger season tickets. It still baffles me and many of my friends how he can afford season tickets for any team, never mind 5 teams.

Lol..I believe that is true actually..I have no clue how he affords them. :laugh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 (Post 43128841)
Chief passed away a while ago, I believe someone called into Steve Somers show and reported it. He actually had the seats next to ours and my fathers told me stories about how he'd run around MSG and how he used to interview people with his little recorder. From what I know, he didn't have his tickets anymore after the 94 season.

He actually worked at Brennan and Carr here in Brooklyn in the 90's. My uncle spotted him and went "you're the chief" to which he gave him a little shhhh. Was glad to see they included the chief in the intro video that they still play a couple of years ago.

Yup. We we're talking to your friend Lou the other night, and he told us that he had the Chief's old seats..I thought that was kinda cool. Really nice guy Lou was, btw. If you have anymore games you're not gonna use this season, let me know. Might be able to come up with the finances! ;)

MAC TRUCK 01-26-2012 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White Plains Batman (Post 43127337)
Good guy. I have fond memories of him calling into Steve Sommers Late Night Show on WFAN back the late 80s/early 90s. He was part of the older generation of fans who only attended sparingly after 94. He did pass a few years back. He was hardcore. RIP. Part of the Garden History.

The best part of a Ranger win many a night for me back then was being under the covers when I was supposed to be sleeping, with my walkman (LOL), listening to Captain Midnight taunt the Icelander fans with the soundbites.:yo:

Mr Atoz* 01-26-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by savebyrichter35 (Post 43127511)

Not only that, Fuzzy used to go on road trips with the Mets. We always guessed that they were all messengers or something but none of us really knew how they afforded all their activities. Now I think that Fuzzy was on at least partial disability for his emotional condition, and only God knows what that is. There were so many bizarre things going on with them. One time we were at a Met game and one of them had a transistor radio to his ear the entire game and he was scoring the Phillies game with a scorecard. We thought that he might be doing it for Strat-o-Matic. But knowing them, it was just strange.