HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   NYR Blogger Round Table: Trade Deadline Edition (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1090237)

Declan 01-25-2012 12:26 PM

NYR Blogger Round Table: Trade Deadline Edition

Quote:

We did a blogger roundtable on Puck Central once before and I've taken part in these on other websites. I figured what better time than now to get a sense of how the NYR bloggers feel as we get close to the annual NHL trade deadline (2/27/12).

I decided to bring in the bloggers who are in my opinion among the best in the Rangers blogosphere: The NYR Blog, Blue Seat Blogs (represented by Dave and "The Suit"), Scotty Hockey and Blue Line Station.
For the full article, check it out here

Just some general question and answers re: the upcoming Trade Deadline

Cmox 01-25-2012 12:39 PM

I think the number one thing the Rangers should go for is anything and everything major power play help related. I see a first round exit if they cannot get that.

pld459666 01-25-2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cmox (Post 43099121)
I think the number one thing the Rangers should go for is anything and everything major power play help related. I see a first round exit if they cannot get that.

disagree.

While it would be nice to get the PP going, the team has shown that they can win the close games against all of the best teams in the league.

It will help to get the PP going, no question, but there's not a team in the eastern conference that we can't beat in the first round of the PO's as currently constructed.

This Rangers team plays PO style hockey on a nightly basis. Come April, other teams are going to have ramp up their style to match what we do now.

Getting PP help will help,but it's not going to be our un-doing either.

Inferno 01-25-2012 01:17 PM

you don't NEED a good pp to win. but it makes it a lot tougher to do so if you dont have one. Theres a reason we've been shutout as often as we have. just too much reliance on ES hockey, and shutdown teams, like Bawstun, can nullify our 5 on 5 play making it a game of specialty teams. when that happens, i dont like our chances. ES we can go toe to toe with anyone....but if it because a specialty teams game, we are SCREWED.

nyrfan519 01-25-2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inferno272 (Post 43100805)
you don't NEED a good pp to win. but it makes it a lot tougher to do so if you dont have one. Theres a reason we've been shutout as often as we have. just too much reliance on ES hockey, and shutdown teams, like Bawstun, can nullify our 5 on 5 play making it a game of specialty teams. when that happens, i dont like our chances. ES we can go toe to toe with anyone....but if it because a specialty teams game, we are SCREWED.

I mostly agree with you, but you also have to bear in mind that our great PK has been somewhat of an equalizer, so we are not necessarily screwed in a special teams game. That being said, a good PP would make us extremely difficult to beat.

pld459666 01-25-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inferno272 (Post 43100805)

Two of the 4 shutouts were flukey.

We lost to Edmonton back in October 2-0 - Total Fluke

We lost to Montreal - 4-0 in November which again, total fluke

We lost to Dallas 1-0 in December - they are a decent team

We lost to Ottawa 3-0 in January during one of their hot streaks and their goalie played out of his mind.

I'm not concerned about losing in shutout fashion when taking those losses in context of when, who and how they lost.

broadwayblue 01-25-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyrfan519 (Post 43102395)
I mostly agree with you, but you also have to bear in mind that our great PK has been somewhat of an equalizer, so we are not necessarily screwed in a special teams game. That being said, a good PP would make us extremely difficult to beat.

True, but hoping our PK can prevent the other team from scoring is really close to best case (SH goals notwithstanding.) It's going to be hard to win in the playoffs without scoring any power play goals. Going 1-4 vs. 0-4 could very likely be the difference most nights in what are often close, tight played games.

Miamipuck 01-25-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyrfan519 (Post 43102395)

This times 100. The penalty killing is as hot as the PP is cold.

Unfortunately, in the playoffs the PP effect is more pronounced. They are going to need the PP to get deep into the playoffs ES is going to be that much tougher.

eco's bones 01-25-2012 03:31 PM

Rangers have not been getting a lot of pwp's either. That can have an effect on how good it is.

If the team continues like it has until the end of the season--I think anything less (barring several injuries) than the conference finals is going to be disappointing. I can't see us as an underdog this year in the East with maybe the exception of the Bruins.

Taking the body, blocking shots, working hard game in and game out. We don't give up a lot of quality scoring chances and when we do--there's Lundqvist. We're a tough team to beat.

EEDAWGZ 01-25-2012 03:49 PM

You're crazy if you think that this awful power play isn't gonna come back to bite us in the ass somewhere down the road in the playoffs

wafflepadsave 01-25-2012 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EEDAWGZ (Post 43108407)
You're crazy if you think that this awful power play isn't gonna come back to bite us in the ass somewhere down the road in the playoffs

Exactly. I'm not so sure that we need more powerplay quarterbacks(as in players). I think it is coaching. There doesn't seem to be much movement. Teams can stand in the shooting lanes so alot of shots are blocked. But even dump and chase strategies don't seem to produce much as our players get beaten to the puck for easy clearing.
Like to hear some others weigh in on this.

eco's bones 01-26-2012 03:16 AM

Boston brought in Kaberle to help their pwp last year. He was pretty much useless at that and a train wreck otherwise. They won the cup anyway.

Rangers brought in McCabe who couldn't keep up. He helped our pwp some but was terrible defensively.

Not sure who is out there--that we could get anyway. There was mention of Suter, Weber but Nashville's almost a sure bet to make it and either of those two will cost a ton. I don't see Anaheim moving Ryan. Selanne? He's 40 would have to waive his NMC and would cost us our 1st anyway--maybe even more. Visnovsky?

HAPPY HOUR 01-26-2012 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EEDAWGZ (Post 43108407)

Agree 100%.The Rangers are an excellent team with an awful PP. Sather knows this and its his job to do his best to address it.

beastly115 01-26-2012 06:23 AM

Does Smyth play LW? Kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Get a top 6 LW and a guy that can help our PP.

LannyMcdonald 01-26-2012 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wafflepadsave (Post 43124705)
Exactly. I'm not so sure that we need more powerplay quarterbacks(as in players). I think it is coaching. There doesn't seem to be much movement. Teams can stand in the shooting lanes so alot of shots are blocked. But even dump and chase strategies don't seem to produce much as our players get beaten to the puck for easy clearing.
Like to hear some others weigh in on this.

We need someone who can bomb from the point. Will draw D, opening up space for the rest of the pp. Like McCabe, but better... And this year they have enough on the line to pony up for better.

Zuccarello Awesome* 01-26-2012 07:29 AM

Like Torts says, I'd be happy if our PP could at least give us some momentum. We need to at least move around and get chances.

Another thing I think is part of the problem (along with Gaborik being a black hole on the half-wall) is that as soon as we are in the zone, we have a forward (usually Cally) plant himself in front of the net immediately. One of the penalty killers doesn't have to worry about him until the puck gets to the net. He's not an actual passing option, therefore the power play is basically a 4 on 4 with Cally in front of the goalie.

Instead of the obligatory GUY IN FRONT just staying there at all times, we should have Cally and another forward drifting through the slot and curling around almost cycling but without the puck. This is what good teams do to open up passing and shooting lanes and be less predictable. We should always have Cally and the other forward close enough that when a shot from the point comes, they can be arriving at the net to either screen, deflect or get a rebound. But they dont have to park themselves there permanently. All that does is negate the extra man as a passing option and help the penalty killers cover 5 guys with 4.

Like Shanny once said, it's not just about knowing where to go, it's knowing when to arrive.

we want the cup 94 01-26-2012 07:59 AM

They need a top 6 LWer who fits the system . Someone young a Ryan type . If he's available you do what you need to do to get him .

Duby
AA
Thomas
1st 12
1st 14

jacko23 01-26-2012 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by we want the cup 94 (Post 43134775)
They need a top 6 LWer who fits the system . Someone young a Ryan type . If he's available you do what you need to do to get him .

Duby
AA
Thomas
1st 12
1st 14

fitting the system is one thing, but i really doubt anyone would pay that much to get Ryan. i think if ANA was really looking to unload him and rebuild, go with AA, Thomas and a 1st. i dont think thats an overpayment, but still enough to get the job done.

Lion Hound 01-26-2012 08:59 AM

Thats was a good piece from the bloggers.

Would really like to see one of these done from the beat writers though.

Trxjw 01-26-2012 09:46 AM

You're going to need one hell of a personnel upgrade to fix the powerplay. 5 guys standing around passing on the perimeter is easy to defend. Who those 5 guys are really doesn't matter. The PP needs a strategy change if it's going to get better.

Garfinkel1 01-26-2012 09:50 AM

The Bruins didn't need a powerplay last playoff run.

I always thought the PP was required in the playoffs but the Bruins proved me wrong. This is a team that can beat out any team 5 on 5 and has a PK that can shut down other teams PP's.

As long as 2 of the 3 - PP, PK, ES are clicking we are fine.

Tawnos 01-26-2012 09:51 AM

Player acquisitions almost never help a struggling powerplay.

I Am Chariot 01-26-2012 10:13 AM

Rather than be PP specific they simply need another boanfide scorer.

If they think Parise would listen to an offer from the Rangers they should hold off. If not they should be looking to add another proven scorer for this window of opportunity.

I wish Carter didn't seem like a such a headcase. His cap hit is great albeit goes on for too long.

Last season it looked like Sather loved the idea Souray. Watched him really close last year. He's been pretty good in Dallas this season. Played 42 games - 17 pts - +8. He still has that cannon of a shot from the point. He's a ufa after this season.

Zuccarello Awesome* 01-26-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trxjw (Post 43137643)
You're going to need one hell of a personnel upgrade to fix the powerplay. 5 guys standing around passing on the perimeter is easy to defend. Who those 5 guys are really doesn't matter. The PP needs a strategy change if it's going to get better.

Exactly!

Instead of the obligatory GUY IN FRONT just staying there at all times, we should have Cally and another forward drifting through the slot and curling around almost cycling but without the puck. This is what good teams do to open up passing and shooting lanes and be less predictable. We should always have Cally and the other forward close enough that when a shot from the point comes, they can be arriving at the net to either screen, deflect or get a rebound. But they dont have to park themselves there permanently. All that does is negate the extra man as a passing option and help the penalty killers cover 5 guys with 4.

Like Shanny once said, it's not just about knowing where to go, it's knowing when to arrive.

We need CONSTANT MOVEMENT through the slot and all around the zone. Make the penalty killers THINK. The way we play the PP right now, the PKers could defend it in their sleep.

NYR Dubi 17 01-26-2012 10:47 AM

its not that our players are bad on the powerplay, its just the strategy that we use is ****ing terrible. Whoever runs the pp (sullivan or torts) really needs to change it up. Take a page out of the islanders book a team that doesnt have as much skill as us with the exception of tavares and watch what they do.

When i watch our power play i really just wanna change the channel especially when its a 5-3. Thats an absolute nightmare to watch. Our first problem is we never shoot the puck. We just pass it around on the points and down low and then we try to thread it through the crease with the goalie and 2 defense there. Hello that doesnt work when its 5 on 4. A ****ing toddler knows that rarely works. even if we did have a big shot from the point (mccabe last year) our pp was still awful because we never shot the puck. Were honestly trying to be to fancy and make the perfect play.