HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   SSN Requirement for Shipping Across the Border (Sherwood)? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1090353)

Doctor No 01-25-2012 02:21 PM

SSN Requirement for Shipping Across the Border (Sherwood)?

I recently purchased a Sherwood RM9 composite goal stick, which broke in the first period of the first game that I played with it. The pro shop at the rink where I purchased the stick was quite unhelpful, but I contacted Sherwood online and they have agreed to replace the stick (yay!).

However...

They're asking for a social security number from me because (and I'm quoting) "[they] need to cross the border".

I've had many items shipped to me from Canada in the past, including my most recent three sets of goalie equipment. Is this a recent requirement? Has anyone else had any experiences like this (successful or otherwise)?

I'm excited at the prospect of getting this stick replaced, but I'm (hopefully understandably) wary about identity theft.

AIREAYE 01-25-2012 02:31 PM

I believe Sherwood is one of the few brands (along with Warrior) that requires customers with a warranty issue to go to the dealer and NOT through the manufacturer. Brands like Bauer and Easton have customers bypass the dealer and go directly to the manufacturer.

Doctor No 01-25-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AIREAYE (Post 43104561)
I believe Sherwood is one of the few brands (along with Warrior) that requires customers with a warranty issue to go to the dealer and NOT through the manufacturer. Brands like Bauer and Easton have customers bypass the dealer and go directly to the manufacturer.

In this case, the dealer told me to go to Sherwood, and they seem to be handling it.

AIREAYE 01-25-2012 02:45 PM

http://www.sher-wood.com/en/sher-woo...y-inc/warranty

In this case, either your dealer doesn't know what they're doing or I am mistaken because the Sherwood warranty process involves the dealer:

"Equipment warranty requests must go through your dealer. If you have any questions regarding your warranty, please speak with your dealer and they will assist you with your request."

Doctor No 01-25-2012 02:52 PM

I agree that likely my dealer doesn't know what they are doing.

However, Sherwood seems to be handling it (hence my question above).

Doctor No 01-26-2012 09:54 AM

So, does anyone have experiences related to the topic as posed?

ChiTownHawks 01-26-2012 10:28 AM

This probably won't help much, but I've had many things shipped over the border and have never given out my SSN. And I would be very leery doing so.

I would tell them it is as issue with their equipment and that you are not comfortable giving out that info. See if they have any other options. If all else fails maybe give them the last 4 digits rather than the entire thing.

AIREAYE 01-26-2012 10:38 AM

I'm sure that Sherwood has a rep in your area, perhaps if you could ask the pro shop for his contact info and see what he can do for you?

jacklours 01-26-2012 10:49 AM

It might be different because it's a warranty.

I'm thinking companies probably cannot just send free stuff across border. It's probably a different process than just shipping paid items.
It may have to do with custom fees i'm guessing.

Gino 14 01-26-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur (Post 43103993)
I recently purchased a Sherwood RM9 composite goal stick, which broke in the first period of the first game that I played with it. The pro shop at the rink where I purchased the stick was quite unhelpful, but I contacted Sherwood online and they have agreed to replace the stick (yay!).

However...

They're asking for a social security number from me because (and I'm quoting) "[they] need to cross the border".

I've had many items shipped to me from Canada in the past, including my most recent three sets of goalie equipment. Is this a recent requirement? Has anyone else had any experiences like this (successful or otherwise)?

I'm excited at the prospect of getting this stick replaced, but I'm (hopefully understandably) wary about identity theft.

I wouldn't give my SSN to anyone. Whoever was requesting the info is scamming you. Get the person's name and contact info and notify the company and let them know.

jw1799 01-28-2012 10:59 PM

It is an U.S. Customs and Border Protection issue. Almost all warranty items traveling from Canada to the US requires either a SSN or an IRS Employer Identification number if it is going to a business.

If you want to read all the legal wording crap...it is located here
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/trade/car..._consignee.xml

I had a warranty claim on a skater stick with Sherwood back in July. Sherwood handles all of their warranty issues directly now and will not allow you to go through any dealer anymore.