HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Dear Kevin Klein: The "All Things #8" Thread (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1090495)

Top 6 Spaling 01-25-2012 05:41 PM

Dear Kevin Klein: The "All Things #8" Thread
 
For years, you have been my whipping boy. I have despised you and cursed your name repeatedly.

That said, thank you for turning it around lately. You look like a whole new hockey player our there for the last few weeks, and are a huge part of why this team is 12-2 in their last 14. Please keep up this not-sucking stuff. It's quite enjoyable.

Signed,
GP9

Pattypred 01-25-2012 05:55 PM

Bravo!

Oh and by the way - ditto what GP9 said.

Everlong 01-25-2012 07:04 PM

Please continue to be a shot blocking beast.

- Rinne

WartracePred 01-25-2012 07:36 PM

Thank you for the positive, feel-good comments. Yesterday I ranted about the negative commentary that fills this board. Seems much easier to criticize than praise our team.

As with most of the Preds, Klein has his shortcomings. Petersen called his play "terrible" at the beginning of the season. His game is much improved of late. He deserves the recognition.

theoneandonly 01-25-2012 07:43 PM

His play was terrible in the beginning of the season which is why he screwed Blum over. Klein was over 90% of the reason Blum's stats were not as great as they should of been.

glenngineer 01-25-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theoneandonly (Post 43118785)
His play was terrible in the beginning of the season which is why he screwed Blum over. Klein was over 90% of the reason Blum's stats were not as great as they should of been.

Huh? So Blum's problems on the ice are attributed to Klein? So if that's the case, are Josi's successes attributed to Klein's play as well? Sometimes guys don't work well together. Last year Klein and Blum worked, this year not so much. Josi has helped solidify Klein as well as Klein assisting Josi.

At the end of the day, it's the player's responsibility on the ice to get better. While Klein struggled some earlier this year, people had him way too far under the microscope. He could play a flawless game, mess up once and people were all over him. It's easy to pick apart a mistake or two per game as opposed to seeing the greater body of work.

My question is this, would Klein's play be this good if Blum were still here? Has Josi made Klein better or do their skill sets compliment each others games better? Is Josi superior to Blum? I like Blum and I think he has a bright future with us if we decide to keep him. He's going thru growing pains, much like Suter went through and Weber went through. I'm sure Josi and Ellis will have their issues at some point too. I seriously doubt Klein went out of his way to suck so Blum would be demoted to Milwaukee.

Top 6 Spaling 01-25-2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenngineer (Post 43119179)
Huh? So Blum's problems on the ice are attributed to Klein? So if that's the case, are Josi's successes attributed to Klein's play as well? Sometimes guys don't work well together. Last year Klein and Blum worked, this year not so much. Josi has helped solidify Klein as well as Klein assisting Josi.

At the end of the day, it's the player's responsibility on the ice to get better. While Klein struggled some earlier this year, people had him way too far under the microscope. He could play a flawless game, mess up once and people were all over him. It's easy to pick apart a mistake or two per game as opposed to seeing the greater body of work.

My question is this, would Klein's play be this good if Blum were still here? Has Josi made Klein better or do their skill sets compliment each others games better? Is Josi superior to Blum? I like Blum and I think he has a bright future with us if we decide to keep him. He's going thru growing pains, much like Suter went through and Weber went through. I'm sure Josi and Ellis will have their issues at some point too. I seriously doubt Klein went out of his way to suck so Blum would be demoted to Milwaukee.

I think Klein is 1. starting to calm down, and 2. with a better D partner in Josi. This Josi kid is a beast, no doubt

barrytrotzsneck 01-25-2012 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theoneandonly (Post 43118785)
His play was terrible in the beginning of the season which is why he screwed Blum over. Klein was over 90% of the reason Blum's stats were not as great as they should of been.

That's an interesting idea.

It's wholly and categorically incorrect.

But interesting, nonetheless.

ZombPred 01-25-2012 09:05 PM

He has been clutch for us lately. I never understood the hate for him earlier in the season though. Glad he is starting to gain some respect by the fans.

predwings 01-25-2012 10:08 PM

I'd have to say the entire team is playing better now than I've seen them in a long time. They are attacking like they are hungry for the puck, and making crisp passes all around. Our problems in years past is we look awkward when we pass and there are never tape to tape passes. This year we've stepped it up a bit, we don't make the stupid mistakes and just bang our heads against a wall. We change things up and look much crisper when entering the zone. We even switch from dump-ins to carrying the puck in the zone at times and successfully come up with some very good scoring chances. Color me impressed with the turnaround. I predicted this year would see growing pains and we'd not be able to produce. I guess I should start preparing the crow. Barring a Blue Jacketsesque collapse post all-star break we definitely look like we belong. So, cheers to you Preds Team, you are looking good all around. Just keep up the tenacity.

barrytrotzsneck 01-25-2012 10:18 PM

Klein bashing at the arena is kind of the new Legwand bashing. A few dummies do it vocally, and even dumber dummies parrot it back. No facts, figures or stats can sway them.

wadesworld 01-25-2012 10:47 PM

Well, let's not pretend that Klein hasn't been the weak link at various points in his career. He does get bashed sometimes when he doesn't deserve it, but sometimes he does deserve it.

kypredsfan 01-26-2012 12:44 AM

I like this thread. I used to always bash on Klein, whether it was with Hamhuis or Blum. Something has clicked with him this year. I hope he keeps it up. Him and Josi together are a damn good 2nd pairing.

JawandaPuck 01-26-2012 01:14 AM

Considering the theme of this thread, do the stats below surprise you?

Rank PlayerTeam PosTOI GP Hits BkS MsSGvA TkADif
1Kevin KleinNSHD20:404262110193416-18
2Shea WeberNSHD26:284610270573329-4
3Ryan SuterNSHD26:15472866302425+1
4Francis BouillonNSHD18:38366332112310-13
5Jonathon BlumNSHD17:5633177111178-9
6Jack HillenNSHD13:4944345218112-9
7Roman JosiNSHD18:032921591869+3
8Teemu LaaksoNSHD11:35977160-6
9Ryan EllisNSHD15:17141114933evn
10Mattias EkholmNSHD12:25203110-1

CantbeatzPekka 01-26-2012 01:32 AM

the most surprising stat up there is Suters amount of hits. Compare his to Josi's and surprisingly Josi is hitting more than suter...

Broom of the System 01-26-2012 01:47 AM

Gasp! A defensive D-man has lots of giveaways! Klein isn't great with the puck, everyone knows that...

That doesn't mean he hasn't been playing very well over the past few weeks.

JawandaPuck 01-26-2012 02:24 AM

Here is some historical context...

2010-11
RankPlayerTeamPosGPHitsBkSMsSGvATkADif
1Kevin KleinNSHD81128173436131-30
2Shea WeberNSHD822111131205162+11
3Shane O'BrienNSHD8016480195030-20
4Cody FransonNSHD808152643929-10
5Ryan SuterNSHD706484473733-4
6Francis BouillonNSHD4413351172413-11
7Jonathon BlumNSHD232036101114+3
8Teemu LaaksoNSHD1100000

2009-10
RankPlayerTeamPosGPHitsBkSMsSGvATkADif
1D. GrebeshkovED/NSHD514655256215-47
2Kevin KleinNSHD81101147415631-25
3Shea WeberNSHD781651061405234-18
4Dan HamhuisNSHD7814895565148-3
5Francis BouillonNSHD8116296424325-18
6Ryan SuterNSHD8255112544138-3
7Cody FransonNSHD615553582219-3
8Alexander SulzerNSHD2011187114-7
9Teemu LaaksoNSHD765231-2

2008-09
RankPlayerTeamPosGPHitsBkSMsSGvATkADif
1Dan HamhuisNSHD82133113395263+11
2Ryan SuterNSHD828793584645-1
3Shea WeberNSHD81192951193319-14
4Greg ZanonNSHD82153237253140+9
5Kevin KleinNSHD635747222720-7
6Ville KoistinenNSHD38452316232-21
7Greg De VriesNSHD715873251720+3
8Alexander SulzerNSHD201001+1

wadesworld 01-26-2012 05:07 AM

Interesting thing about those stats is how Suter's giveaways have consistently gone down, while Weber's have gone up.

swissexpert 01-26-2012 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JawandaPuck (Post 43131041)
Considering the theme of this thread, do the stats below surprise you?

Rank PlayerTeam PosTOI GP Hits BkS MsSGvA TkADif
1Kevin KleinNSHD20:404262110193416-18
2Shea WeberNSHD26:284610270573329-4
3Ryan SuterNSHD26:15472866302425+1
4Francis BouillonNSHD18:38366332112310-13
5Jonathon BlumNSHD17:5633177111178-9
6Jack HillenNSHD13:4944345218112-9
7Roman JosiNSHD18:032921591869+3
8Teemu LaaksoNSHD11:35977160-6
9Ryan EllisNSHD15:17141114933evn
10Mattias EkholmNSHD12:25203110-1

I think Josi is the winner of this comparison, considering these were his first 30 NHL games.
A superstar in the making.

PS: Wow, Koistonen 23 giveaways, 2 takeaways. Don't even remember him..

utmfisher19 01-26-2012 09:42 AM

Not really sure where this is coming from since, IMO, he has (by far) been our #3 dman for almost 3 years now.

sighthndlady 01-26-2012 10:31 AM

It's very hard to be fair to a defensive D man. When you don't do much offensively, your main job is not to get noticed. Klein plays whole games where he does "nothing" amazingly well and nobody has a comment one way or the other. Then he makes a superb play right in front of the net, and we ooh and aah for about 10 seconds, while he gets blamed for the whole game when he makes a mistake. Not like the others don't have brain farts (Weber Saturday night?). He's an amazing asset especially for the price.

torero 01-26-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swissexpert (Post 43136169)
I think Josi is the winner of this comparison, considering these were his first 30 NHL games.
A superstar in the making.

PS: Wow, Koistonen 23 giveaways, 2 takeaways. Don't even remember him..

:laugh:

Between you ... praising Josi here and me saying that he is Einstein in hockey (thread Roman Josi) ... we, Swiss, are done on this board !

Therefore i will just, like others did previously in this thread, notice the synchronicity of Klein playing well and him being paired with Josi.
I will not conclude my post on an interpretation that could be vastly subjective, and if not substantially, at least vastly interpreted as subjective.

NoNecksCurse 01-26-2012 05:54 PM

i think klein has been solid lately. he needs a good PMD like josi paired with him though. i do believe there is a direct correlation in his improved play from being paired with blum to josi. josi is just that dang good majority of the times.. taking nothing away from klein, he has been rock solid as well. all players need certain guys paired with them to reach their max potential whether it be a forward or defenseman. see weber/suter or tootoo being paired with linemates like wilson, spaling, bourque that suit his strengths pretty well.

NoNecksCurse 01-26-2012 05:57 PM

i do also think klein/josi for a 2nd pairing are very good.. and will only get better. come playoff time, i think we will be able to lean on them quite heavily.

Paranoid Android 01-26-2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadesworld (Post 43133041)
Interesting thing about those stats is how Suter's giveaways have consistently gone down, while Weber's have gone up.

And on the other side of the coin, Suter's Takeaways have gone down every year, while Weber's have gone up.

I wouldn't read too much into these stats though.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.