HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   ESPN's (John Buccigross') Top 100 Current Players In The NHL- 4 Kings Ranked Overall (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1091349)

Telos 01-26-2012 06:00 PM

ESPN's (John Buccigross') Top 100 Current Players In The NHL- 4 Kings Ranked Overall

All 100 are listed now, 4 Kings: Kopitar (15), Doughty (44), Richards (46), Quick (53)

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/75...urrent-players

Quote:

53. Jonathan Quick: Most of the country is in bed while he is working. I picked the Kings to win the West primarily because of the Connecticut native's ability. If the U.S. had an Olympic gold-medal game next week, Tim Thomas would start and Quick would be the backup. He also leads the NHL in shutouts.

kingsfan 01-26-2012 06:15 PM

I'm really curious to see who is ahead of him. That's lower than I'd have thought for sure.

TwzKing 01-26-2012 06:29 PM

"Tim Thomas would start and Quick would be the backup. He also leads the NHL in shutouts."

Yea, not with how he has been playing. Quick would be starting.

kingsfan28 01-26-2012 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwzKing (Post 43158235)
"Tim Thomas would start and Quick would be the backup. He also leads the NHL in shutouts."

By the time the next Olympics roll around, Quick will be the starter, and Thomas will be the back up or retired.

ShattStar03 01-26-2012 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsfan28 (Post 43158829)
By the time the next Olympics roll around, Quick will be the starter, and Thomas will be the back up or retired.

ditto

SFKingshomer 01-26-2012 07:21 PM

Jimmy Howard or Quick will start

KINGS17 01-26-2012 07:39 PM

I guess the rest of the Kings' players are in the top 50, right? Right???

deeshamrock 01-27-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

I guess the rest of the Kings' players are in the top 50, right? Right???
Two made it to the 26-50 group. I guess Kopi is in the top 25...

44. Drew Doughty: Doughty is regressing offensively and that has to concern the Kings. Is he committed to being a professional off the ice and the best at his position? He has all the tools to be in the 20s on this list.

46. Mike Richards: Much has been made of Mike Richards' off-ice lifestyle. That can't be quanitified, but his on-ice numbers can. This is the fourth straight year his points-per-game average has gone down. But he is such a gamer, and I love him in big spots.

no name 01-27-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deeshamrock (Post 43185787)
Two made it to the 26-50 group. I guess Kopi is in the top 25...

44. Drew Doughty: Doughty is regressing offensively and that has to concern the Kings. Is he committed to being a professional off the ice and the best at his position? He has all the tools to be in the 20s on this list.

46. Mike Richards: Much has been made of Mike Richards' off-ice lifestyle. That can't be quanitified, but his on-ice numbers can. This is the fourth straight year his points-per-game average has gone down. But he is such a gamer, and I love him in big spots.

Hate, hate, hate to see the public opinion change of Drew.

Quattro 01-27-2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwzKing (Post 43158235)

After the stunt he pulled this week, I hope Thomas doesn't even get asked to represent this country.

Brad Doty 01-27-2012 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by no name (Post 43198089)
Hate, hate, hate to see the public opinion change of Drew.

I don't.

I'd rather the media and the world start to think he sucks so he can right his head.

no name 01-27-2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quattro (Post 43201923)
After the stunt he pulled this week, I hope Thomas doesn't even get asked to represent this country.

Oh brother.

BringTheReign 01-27-2012 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MN14 (Post 43202395)
I don't.

I'd rather the media and the world start to think he sucks so he can right his head.

He may not be the type of player who handles that type of criticism well. He's been coddled by the media since before he entered the league, he may not respond to negativity as well as we'd hope.

I hope not saying he doesn't deserve it, just that it may not have the desired effect.

goosh 01-28-2012 12:57 AM

How is the recent "regressing" of Doughty concerning? He's a 21 year old defensemen. His competition (for defensemen) is what, ten years older? Give him a few years. Defensemen take time to mature. He'll be the next Ray Bourque by the time it's all said and done. I'm not worried one bit about him.

Shellz 01-28-2012 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoKingsGoo (Post 43210433)
How is the recent "regressing" of Doughty concerning? He's a 21 year old defensemen. His competition (for defensemen) is what, ten years older? Give him a few years. Defensemen take time to mature. He'll be the next Ray Bourque by the time it's all said and done. I'm not worried one bit about him.

Logic? Get out.

It's pathetic what the media and some of the fans around here say about him. I was never concerned about Doughty and still not.

Telos 01-28-2012 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shellz (Post 43212037)
Logic? Get out.

It's pathetic what the media and some of the fans around here say about him. I was never concerned about Doughty and still not.

I don't necessarily disagree with your sentiment, but I would place it in the balanced optimism category over the logical. We can trace back and find the same exact statements for many young defenseman drafted of the past couple of decades. The Ray Bourque comparisons aside, I think the solace many Kings fans can take, at least, is in the fact that Doughty's play has been much improved recently and appears to be taking the mold of his former Norris nominated efforts of the past.

The #1 contributor to the lack of individual points, production, and team offense is primarily our lack of an efficient powerplay. As soon as we resolve our struggles on the man advantage, however it may occur, we will obviously see those numbers rebound back to their respectable selves. Most of Doughty's points, and 30 goals seasons of the past scored by our forwards, were generated by the powerplay, and now that it is worthless to us, our stats have taken a nosedive.

Shellz 01-28-2012 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Telos (Post 43212151)
I don't necessarily disagree with your sentiment, but I would place it in the balanced optimism category over the logical. We can trace back and find the same exact statements for many young defenseman drafted of the past couple of decades. The Ray Bourque comparisons aside, I think the solace many Kings fans can take, at least, is in the fact that Doughty's play has been much improved recently and appears to be taking the mold of his former Norris nominated efforts of the past.

The #1 contributor to the lack of individual points, production, and team offense is primarily our lack of an efficient powerplay. As soon as we resolve our struggles on the man advantage, however it may occur, we will obviously see those numbers rebound back to their respectable selves. Most of Doughty's points, and 30 goals seasons of the past scored by our forwards, were generated by the powerplay, and now that it is worthless to us, our stats have taken a nosedive.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I actually agree. It's more that people lump him in overrated and overpaid category now. That's where it becomes unbearable to read.

"Doughty just wants the money"
"Doughty is overweight"
"Doughty is ths next phaneuf"

And it's more so on other boards then this one. It's idiotic statements like that make me shake my head.

He is obviously not performing as well but, it's not because those above reasons. If Doughty is doing anything it's that he's trying to hard.

He is going to have his ups and downs. I hope everybody knows that. We aren't going to see what he's really made of until his last 20's, imo.

Nex06 01-28-2012 07:29 AM

That's one guy deciding about which players he thinks are top 100 correct? Correct me if I'm wrong but couldn't everyone on this forum do the same? I don't believe in players being ranked like this anyway so the whole idea is wrong from the beginning. How could result be any better?

Telos 01-28-2012 12:09 PM

They finished it, Kopitar is #15.

Buddy The Elf 01-28-2012 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shellz (Post 43212255)
I'm not disagreeing with you. I actually agree. It's more that people lump him in overrated and overpaid category now. That's where it becomes unbearable to read.

"Doughty just wants the money"
"Doughty is overweight"
"Doughty is ths next phaneuf"

And it's more so on other boards then this one. It's idiotic statements like that make me shake my head.

He is obviously not performing as well but, it's not because those above reasons. If Doughty is doing anything it's that he's trying to hard.

He is going to have his ups and downs. I hope everybody knows that. We aren't going to see what he's really made of until his last 20's, imo.

He signed a big contact so people have high expectations of him as they should. He is overpaid right now so I think people have a right to be critical. I didn't sign the contact, he did.

Scottkmlps 01-28-2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Telos (Post 43219117)
They finished it, Kopitar is #15.

I saw that it, and this statement is so far off it's not even funny: "He entered the NHL as a 19-year-old and is pretty much the same player.". No he's not. He's a much better 2-way center than when he entered the league.

jml87 01-28-2012 05:36 PM

I'm sorry. It's hard for me to take an opinion on hockey seriously from the same network that cares more about sports in their offseason than the NHL.

They only know one thing about hockey and that's Sidney Crosby. Oh and look who's on top despite not playing more than a lick of hockey in over a year.

Vamos Rafa 01-28-2012 05:38 PM

I can't stand Buccigross on SportsCenter. "Number 4 Bobby Orr." Ugh.

But he's the only one on ESPN that cares about hockey so that's a positive.

kingsfan 01-28-2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf (Post 43227003)
He signed a big contact so people have high expectations of him as they should. He is overpaid right now so I think people have a right to be critical. I didn't sign the contact, he did.

On the flipside to that article, you aren't paying that contract either, the Kings are.

People have a right to be critical I guess, but there's a difference in being critical and just slamming a guy by calling him "fat" "lazy" etc.

Nex06 01-28-2012 09:46 PM

That is one of the most clueless hockey fans I have seen writing articles online. Yeah, he is just a hockey fan without any kind of knowledge about the sport. Absolutely disgraceful. What the ...