HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Columbus Blue Jackets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Steve Mason's future (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1094873)

nhlfan9191 01-31-2012 11:00 PM

Steve Mason's future

Do you think a team like New Jersey will give Mason a chance to be their goalie of the future? I doubt Toronto will give him a chance after what happened with Raycroft. Where will Mason go? It's already been said that he won't back next year and I find it hard to believe that a kid his age who had so much talent will just disappear.

CBJBrassard16 01-31-2012 11:06 PM

He'll be traded and if not he will be sent on waivers.

Robert 01-31-2012 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 (Post 43382727)
He'll be traded and if not he will be sent on waivers.

This

CBJCougar 01-31-2012 11:49 PM

The bad news for Mason is that WalMart no longer is using greeters.

Mayor Bee 01-31-2012 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBJCougar (Post 43385309)

He'd be 70 years too young for that position anyway.

mt-svk 01-31-2012 11:56 PM

Mason needs a psychologist.

JacketsFanWest 01-31-2012 11:57 PM

In the future, I see Mason playing in Switzerland or Germany....

nhlfan9191 02-01-2012 12:00 AM

Quote:

Man the people who say Columbus fans aren't ruthless are wrong. Lol. not that I blame you.

CBJCougar 02-01-2012 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mayor Bee (Post 43385637)
He'd be 70 years too young for that position anyway.

With his history of letting things slip away, I doubt they would let him be in charge of security.

Doug19 02-01-2012 12:02 AM

Mason is pretty terrible, if he's looked at as the future for any team, they are screwed. I'd say a very slim chance that he is traded, can't see any team even slightly interested in him enough to give up an asset or take on his salary. He'd probably pass through on waivers also, only way a team is going to probably pick him up would be on reentry waivers.

Robert 02-01-2012 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug61 (Post 43386023)
Mason is pretty terrible, if he's looked at as the future for any team, they are screwed. I'd say a very slim chance that he is traded, can't see any team even slightly interested in him enough to give up an asset or take on his salary. He'd probably pass through on waivers also, only way a team is going to probably pick him up would be on reentry waivers.

That is how it looks Doug... Mason is bound for the AHL, perhaps the ECHL.

Mouse21* 02-01-2012 12:29 AM

Quote:

yes they do.

Robert 02-01-2012 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 (Post 43385869)
Man the people who say Columbus fans aren't ruthless are wrong. Lol. not that I blame you.

Are there any jr teams he can audition for? (forget the rules, we can lie)

lol

FunKingJackets 02-01-2012 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert (Post 43387265)
Are there any jr teams he can audition for? (forget the rules, we can lie)

lol

I watched his "what I did on my summer vacation" video earlier in the year. I think he won some ball hockey trophy or something. I think that's about where he belongs. Hanging with his buds and playing hockey for fun.

plong123 02-01-2012 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 (Post 43382291)
Do you think a team like New Jersey will give Mason a chance to be their goalie of the future? I doubt Toronto will give him a chance after what happened with Raycroft. Where will Mason go? It's already been said that he won't back next year and I find it hard to believe that a kid his age who had so much talent will just disappear

Not sure if you actually watch this team or not (let's just assume you don't), but I find it hard to believe that a guy who clearly is not better than most high-school goalies is allowed to start games in the NHL.

jore 02-01-2012 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBJCougar (Post 43385915)
With his history of letting things slip away, I doubt they would let him be in charge of security.

Maybe his future lies in bagging then. At least most groceries are easier to handle than pucks...

Cyclones Rock 02-01-2012 03:34 AM

Someone suggested Mason potentially might find his way to the ECHL. It's not out of the question.

He's terrible. In fact, I'm fairly certain he wouldn't be a lock to be a top quality goaltender in the ECHL.

In Cincinnati, we are saddled with a failed first round pick who is a goalie. Chet Pickard-Nashville 18th overall in 2008-is killing our team right now. He wouldn't even be in the ECHL if it weren't for the fact that he still has time left on his NHL entry level contract.

Steve Mason might be the poster child for the incompetence of the Blue Jackets organization. He is almost 3 seasons removed from his magical rookie season and he hasn't shown that form with any consistency since that season; and now even one good game every so often is a rarity. The fact that he hasn't been sent down to the AHL to try to get his game together is a brutal indictment of Scott Howson. I can't think of another NHL GM who would allow his team to essentially give up all hope of winning by continuing to allow a goalie who clearly has lost it years ago to be with his NHL team, let alone its #1 goalie.

Next season, when a new GM is in charge of the Jackets, it's not out of the question that Mason could be playing as low as the ECHL level-if the most sensible option (buy out) isn't exercised.

EspenK 02-01-2012 06:26 AM

Bleak

Matt Foley 02-01-2012 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EspenK (Post 43390945)
Bleak

It's so bleak he won't even need shades.

CBJ Bob 02-01-2012 07:39 AM

Next season he'll be working at the Citgo.:sarcasm:

bester vaive 02-01-2012 07:51 AM

It's almost to the point where I feel bad for Steve Mason. He clearly doesn't belong at this level of hockey, yet GMSH keeps him up in CBJ-land and lets him continually get beat up. One wonders if he can ever recover from his handling here. (And for the record, I am not a fan of his, and don't want him here, but this is ridiculous.)

gojacketsgo61 02-01-2012 07:52 AM

He'll be gone by the start of next season for sure.

For some reason though I can see him doing well once he gets traded to another team. Not vezina quality but a goalie that can get the job done.

Then again I also can see him being out of the league within 2 years.

Robert 02-01-2012 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock (Post 43389817)
Someone suggested Mason potentially might find his way to the ECHL. It's not out of the question.

He's terrible. In fact, I'm fairly certain he wouldn't be a lock to be a top quality goaltender in the ECHL.

In Cincinnati, we are saddled with a failed first round pick who is a goalie. Chet Pickard-Nashville 18th overall in 2008-is killing our team right now. He wouldn't even be in the ECHL if it weren't for the fact that he still has time left on his NHL entry level contract.

Steve Mason might be the poster child for the incompetence of the Blue Jackets organization. He is almost 3 seasons removed from his magical rookie season and he hasn't shown that form with any consistency since that season; and now even one good game every so often is a rarity. The fact that he hasn't been sent down to the AHL to try to get his game together is a brutal indictment of Scott Howson. I can't think of another NHL GM who would allow his team to essentially give up all hope of winning by continuing to allow a goalie who clearly has lost it years ago to be with his NHL team, let alone its #1 goalie.

Next season, when a new GM is in charge of the Jackets, it's not out of the question that Mason could be playing as low as the ECHL level-if the most sensible option (buy out) isn't exercised.

Interesting story Cyclones Rock... thanks

CBJ Bob 02-01-2012 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bester vaive (Post 43391999)
It's almost to the point where I feel bad for Steve Mason. He clearly doesn't belong at this level of hockey, yet GMSH keeps him up in CBJ-land and lets him continually get beat up. One wonders if he can ever recover from his handling here. (And for the record, I am not a fan of his, and don't want him here, but this is ridiculous.)

I think he can recover but it won't be here. He needs to spend some time in the "A" and earn his way back. When he is good he is very good but there are too many games like last night. If he could learn to control the rebounds on a consistent basis he can be a #1 goalie - the "A" is the place for him to learn.

blahblah 02-01-2012 08:05 AM

Quote:

I was in Meyer's for the first time in about 10 years, and they had one.

Mason and "future", in reference to a steady job in the NHL, just really don't belong in the same sentence.