HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Anyone Else Tired of Fighting For 8th? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1095135)

Moves Like Jagr 02-01-2012 09:20 AM

Anyone Else Tired of Fighting For 8th?

I've been watching the Habs since 92. I've seen them win the cup in 93 but since then we've had limited success. Outside of a first place conference finish and a third round playoff appearance we've been a team continually fighting for 7th or 8th or even missing the playoffs.

I'd never cheer for the Habs to lose but this season seeing as there's a very good chance we won't be seeing a playoff spot I've not been mad that we're losing. I guess you could say I'm "Pro Tank". Obviously getting a top pick isn't a sure fire bet at becoming a contender, it is a step in the right direction. Maybe drafting a Grigorenko is the solution to our Center problem that we've had for many years.

I think our team isn't that bad actually but this season seems like a write off and we're in a good position to get a top pick in the draft and do a little re-tool in the offseason. We've got some good young pieces to build around and I don't have a sense of doom and gloom looking at our team. The point I'm trying to say is that I'm tired of seeing our team fight for the last playoff spot year after year, is anyone else tired of it too?

uiCk 02-01-2012 09:21 AM

10 on 10 for thread originality

Captain Smurf 02-01-2012 09:21 AM

Yes. I'd like to see us actually compete for something.

Lafleurs Guy 02-01-2012 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moves Like Jagr (Post 43394305)
I've been watching the Habs since 92. I've seen them win the cup in 93 but since then we've had limited success. Outside of a first place conference finish and a third round playoff appearance we've been a team continually fighting for 7th or 8th or even missing the playoffs.

I'd never cheer for the Habs to lose but this season seeing as there's a very good chance we won't be seeing a playoff spot I've not been mad that we're losing. I guess you could say I'm "Pro Tank". Obviously getting a top pick isn't a sure fire bet at becoming a contender, it is a step in the right direction. Maybe drafting a Grigorenko is the solution to our Center problem that we've had for many years.

I think our team isn't that bad actually but this season seems like a write off and we're in a good position to get a top pick in the draft and do a little re-tool in the offseason. We've got some good young pieces to build around and I don't have a sense of doom and gloom looking at our team. The point I'm trying to say is that I'm tired of seeing our team fight for the last playoff spot year after year, is anyone else tired of it too?

Welcome to the boards.

Yes, I'm tired of the quick fixes that continue to pass for management trying to build a winner. These window dressing moves have done nothing but ensure mediocrity. We've needed a rebuild for a long, long time. Hopefully now it's coming.

WhiskeySeven 02-01-2012 09:24 AM

None of us to be honest. This had the the first time it's been brought up to our attention. Thanks for your unique perspective, it's been eye-opening

MasterD 02-01-2012 09:25 AM

You're right, but I'm actually tired of having a boring team... I'd rather lose 6-4 in an up-and-down game than winning 2-1 with a Jacques Martin-style game plan.

Habs 4 Life 02-01-2012 09:26 AM

5 year plan

followed by top 10 team in the league

I think were doing great, we play better in the playoffs when finishing 8th anyways

llamateizer 02-01-2012 09:26 AM

the habs will manage to finish 29th to get the 2nd pick
NHL will go into lockout
the habs will finally pick 15th in a special lottery draft!

Habs 4 Life 02-01-2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chewBACHa (Post 43394525)
NHL will go into lockout

Or the players selected is so happy he trips and falls down the stairs and suffers a career ending injury

Em Ancien 02-01-2012 09:30 AM

That's what happens when you build for a 6th to 10th place finish if the team stays relatively healthy.

Either there's a window or there isn't. If there isn't, why aren't we trying to get some young forwards that can carry the offense down the road. If there is, why aren't we trading to acquire someone who can carry the offense now.

It's like every year we're looking to see how the team shapes up instead of trying to make it go where we want.

SergeConstantin74 02-01-2012 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chewBACHa (Post 43394525)
NHL will go into lockout

They'll pick 2nd anyway. The lottery draft was held because there was no hockey at all in 2004-05.

29dryden29 02-01-2012 09:33 AM

I am none too happy about how we are mediocre and have been for almost 2 decades. I grew up watching through the 70s and miss when our team and players and owners etc had pride in in the crest on the front of that jersey.

overlords 02-01-2012 09:33 AM

As others have said, this topic has been discussed ad nauseum. You can find it in quite a few threads with a bit of effort.

Welcome to the jungle.