HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Proposal: Say the Habs finish 28th... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1096701)

sansabri 02-02-2012 10:43 PM

Say the Habs finish 28th...

and get the 3rd overall pick ( let's say there's no movement at the draft lottery. )

what would you be willing to trade to move up a spot? it seems Yakupov and Grigorenko are cemented at 1 and 2.

or would you prefer that the Habs stand pat and go for the BPA ( best player available )?

Habs Junkie 02-02-2012 10:45 PM

I say we trade our pick and next years first for Phil Kessel :sarcasm:

poetryinmotion 02-02-2012 10:46 PM

Make a deal with the Jackets to swap picks. I don't care if we have to give a good player as long as it's not one of our youngsters. And obviously not Plekanec or Gorges either, everyone else is on the table, just get it done. They don't want to draft an other Russian, and if they can get a solid player to move down two spots they will grab it imo. Then we can have our pick of either.

I know some of you are high on players like Dumba, Forsberg, Trouba... I Say screw that. Grigs/Yakopov or we fail.

uiCk 02-02-2012 10:47 PM

say the habs finish 27th?

i should make a new thread.

poetryinmotion 02-02-2012 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uiCk (Post 43498835)
say the habs finish 27th?

i should make a new thread.

Yea, no...

The premise is really interesting as there are only 2 guarantee'd franchise players.

I really do like the Ovechkin/Malkin draft as a comparison.

Mrb1p 02-02-2012 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poetryinmotion (Post 43498777)
Make a deal with the Jackets to swap picks. I don't care if we have to give a good player as long as it's not one of our youngsters. And obviously not Plekanec or Gorges either, everyone else is on the table, just get it done. They don't want to draft an other Russian, and if they can get a solid player to move down two spots they will grab it imo. Then we can have our pick of either.

I know some of you are high on players like Dumba, Forsberg, Trouba... I Say screw that. Grigs/Yakopov or we fail.

Forsberg could turn out really well i think/Hope.

Who dosnt want a russian ?

I think CBJ will get a center so grigorenko will go ...
then yakupov will go then we'll get Forsberg

Im going to be happy with this order of draft by CH

Grigorenko
Yakupov
Forsberg
Reinhart
Trouba
Murray
Dumba
Galchenyuk
Ceci

Kriss E 02-02-2012 10:52 PM

If we finish in the bottom 5, we could still get the 1st or 2nd overall. It's a lottery. In the event that we'd have the 3rd, I'd think of packaging picks in order to move up.

Protest the Hero 02-02-2012 10:52 PM

Trade it for Angelo Esposito.

Et le But 02-02-2012 10:54 PM

No team is going to give up the 1st or 2nd pick without a serious overpayment, especially as the choices get complicated after 2nd. The one possibility are the Oilers, who desperately need defenders and might be willing to part with their pick a vet and a chance to pick Dumba, but they will need something good to justify it to their increasingly impatient fans.

You ask, but I just don't see this happening. If we can get Forsberg or Galchenyuk, you take them and run.

Andy 02-02-2012 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Protest the Hero (Post 43499335)
Trade it for Angelo Esposito.

Pierre Mcguire is that you?

:sarcasm:

For those that don't know, McGuire was mad when we picked McDonagh over Esposito.

poetryinmotion 02-02-2012 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kriss E (Post 43499325)
If we finish in the bottom 5, we could still get the 1st or 2nd overall. It's a lottery. In the event that we'd have the 3rd, I'd think of packaging picks in order to move up.

I think he means after the lottery is all said and done, and those are the actual draft rankings. What picks would you think of packaging and why? I Suggested a body but with a criteria. Hope you're not talking about our 1st and 2nd just to move up two spots?

Em Ancien 02-02-2012 10:56 PM

I'm sure Edmonton would be willing to move the 2nd pick for the 3rd+ since they're looking for D.

Miller Time 02-02-2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sansabri (Post 43498483)
and get the 3rd overall pick ( let's say there's no movement at the draft lottery. )

what would you be willing to trade to move up a spot? it seems Yakupov and Grigorenko are cemented at 1 and 2.

or would you prefer that the Habs stand pat and go for the BPA ( best player available )?

stay put, and if those 2 do end up going 1-2, then maybe even trade down a few spot if there is a team willing to throw some serious assets our way.

imo the talent in the draft class is somewhat "balanced" in the top 6-8... even with those 2, i don't know that any of the top 8 guys are that much more "sure things" than the rest.

in our case, the temptation of a yakupov/grigs is huge, but frankly, I'm just as happy walking away with one of the top talents in the class at any position (except in nets) and going forward from there.

if we can add a few extra assets in the process, great.

poetryinmotion 02-02-2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrb1p (Post 43499211)
Forsberg could turn out really well i think/Hope.

Who dosnt want a russian ?

I think CBJ will get a center so grigorenko will go ...
then yakupov will go then we'll get Forsberg

Im going to be happy with this order of draft by CH

Grigorenko
Yakupov
Forsberg
Reinhart
Trouba
Murray
Dumba
Galchenyuk
Ceci

I have heard something to the effect that after Colombus' debacles concerning Filatov they have supposedly sworn off drafting Russians, but that could have been a load of crap. It does sound like our whole French coach language thing, someone should be fired if they go that route.

Anyway, your list is pretty solid except mine would go something like this:

Grigorenko
Yakupov
Forsberg/Galchenyuk (only because he missed a year otherwise he's #3 and labeled franchise)

The rest.

Mathradio 02-02-2012 11:03 PM

Galchenyuk is #4 on my personal list and Grigorenko, #2. But, if the team at #2 had a big need on defense, they may as well take Dumba or Murray, in which case Grigorenko is ours.

Marchy79 02-02-2012 11:07 PM

If we were at a spot of contention for one of the first 3 picks, I would like to see how much # 1 pick would be going for.

I'd hone my pick in a few ways...

If I was hiring Patrick Roy as my head coach candidate, you'd be tailoring this team for him, with his 6'4 200lb Center potential superstar, Mikhail Grigorenko.

If I was looking at Nail Yakupov, I'd then go hard on trying for a 2nd top 10 pick... Perhaps starting with a package of Plekanec + ,
and draft his buddy, Galchenyuk to the habs.

If I stay at # 3, and those 2 guys are gone, I go Forsberg. He's the champ :yo:

poetryinmotion 02-02-2012 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miller Time (Post 43500227)
stay put, and if those 2 do end up going 1-2, then maybe even trade down a few spot if there is a team willing to throw some serious assets our way.

imo the talent in the draft class is somewhat "balanced" in the top 6-8... even with those 2, i don't know that any of the top 8 guys are that much more "sure things" than the rest.

in our case, the temptation of a yakupov/grigs is huge, but frankly, I'm just as happy walking away with one of the top talents in the class at any position (except in nets) and going forward from there.

if we can add a few extra assets in the process, great.

Not for us, I really believe we need to draft a forward, especially a center. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity (if a lifetime is the span of which you actually follow a team), and you want to squander it on a defenseman? If you understand and are okay with that notion, then we just have to go all in this year and finally get that Crosby/RNH type player on this team.

poetryinmotion 02-02-2012 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost # 1 (Post 43501423)
If we were at a spot of contention for one of the first 3 picks, I would like to see how much # 1 pick would be going for.

I'd hone my pick in a few ways...

If I was hiring Patrick Roy as my head coach candidate, you'd be tailoring this team for him, with his 6'4 200lb Center potential superstar, Mikhail Grigorenko.

If I was looking at Nail Yakupov, I'd then go hard on trying for a 2nd top 10 pick... Perhaps starting with a package of Plekanec + ,
and draft his buddy, Galchenyuk to the habs.

If I stay at # 3, and those 2 guys are gone, I go Forsberg. He's the champ :yo:

That is precisely how I would do it as well, nice insight on option B.

However, I hope we do not go option C and do whatever it takes to make A or B possible.

Kriss E 02-02-2012 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poetryinmotion (Post 43499809)
I think he means after the lottery is all said and done, and those are the actual draft rankings. What picks would you think of packaging and why? I Suggested a body but with a criteria. Hope you're not talking about our 1st and 2nd just to move up two spots?

No, not the 2nd. I don't have a problem picking 3rd, we'll still get a great player out of it. It would all depend on the two organizations ahead of us would be looking at.

Mrb1p 02-02-2012 11:17 PM

Say when we're on the board, All 4 forwards are gone what do we do?

Collberg ? Gaunce? Or we go Dman ? trade down a bit ?

Miller Time 02-02-2012 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poetryinmotion (Post 43501847)
Not for us, I really believe we need to draft a forward, especially a center. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity (if a lifetime is the span of which you actually follow a team), and you want to squander it on a defenseman? If you understand and are okay with that notion, then we just have to go all in this year and finally get that Crosby/RNH type player on this team.

if there was a Crosby, or even a RNH sitting there, then ok.

but, at least in my limited opinion, I don't see either Grigs or Yakupov as being a surefire ppg type player.

remains to be seen I guess, but I'd feel just as good with a Galchenyuk, Forseberg or Dumba as I would with either of them.

Sam I Am 02-02-2012 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sansabri (Post 43498483)

Galchenyuk could be back March 1. Enough time to shake things up at the top of teams' lists. Who knows - he may even knock Yakupov or Grigorenko down a peg...

LINK

Tusk 02-02-2012 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miller Time (Post 43500227)

That's what I feel too, see what extras you might be able to acquire from 3rd to 6-8. And honestly, I wouldn't be sad if they kept the 3rd pick and got a stud defencemen, BPA.

Aceekay 02-02-2012 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Em Ancien (Post 43499839)
I'm sure Edmonton would be willing to move the 2nd pick for the 3rd+ since they're looking for D.

According to their fans they need another forward, i think they need to realize they cant keep drafting star forwards and ignoring the real problem which is crap defense. Ryan murray would be the perfect fit Edmonton.

Kriss E 02-02-2012 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miller Time (Post 43502981)
if there was a Crosby, or even a RNH sitting there, then ok.

but, at least in my limited opinion, I don't see either Grigs or Yakupov as being a surefire ppg type player.

remains to be seen I guess, but I'd feel just as good with a Galchenyuk, Forseberg or Dumba as I would with either of them.

I'd say Yakupov is a surefire ppg imo.