HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   The only way forward and it starts with Geoff Molson (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1097287)

Ginu 02-03-2012 04:36 PM

The only way forward and it starts with Geoff Molson
 
People who are expecting Pierre Gauthier to be fired before the end of the season are forgetting one thing. The only reason that Jacques Martin was fired was that we were able to promote Randy Cunneyworth from within the organization. Rather than looking outside the organization, a concerted effort was made to promote from within, thereby saving on salary. The reason that Pierre Gauthier is still around, I suspect, is for the same reason. The only option Molson has from within the organization to replace Gauthier is Jacques Martin, and that's a non-starter. Molson will wait until the off-season to clean house so we can forget about it right now.

This to me is a major problem. As the owner of our franchise, you have to make the tough decisions, especially in times of crisis where the future direction of our organization will be set for the next 5 years at least. Leaving Gauthier in charge to move assets around simply because you don't want to spend some money and hire a replacement is not how to run a winning franchise, or work towards one.

Molson needs to step up here. He needs to splash the cash to assemble the best management team in the NHL here in Montreal. The only way to return to the glory years is to bring the best in the business to the city to rejuvenate this franchise. Bringing in Roy, Damphouse, Carbonneau, Lemaire, etc. is all a waste of time. Until we have the leadership at the top of the organization with the top minds in the business, no matter what coaches or players we get, it's pointless.

A message to Geoff Molson: bring in the best in the off-season and be ready to spend some money to do so, otherwise we'll be swimming with the sharks for the foreseeable future. Consider it upgrading your countertops to granite to increase the value of your property investment.

Enough is enough. We are NOT a training ground for new unexperienced coaches (this is not an insult to Cunneyworth; I actually like him). We are NOT a team where we bring in players at the end of their careers on long and expensive contracts. It's time for you, Mr. Molson, to leave your mark. It's time you do what's necessary to re-assemble this management group. You do that and you'll be on pace for the Stanley Cup. Until you do, you're wasting your investment, players' salaries and all of our time. We all need to work together, but it starts with you.

You're the owner of the ship. Are you going to hire inexperienced captains to steer the ship when it's about to go down, or do you get the best out there to save the day? The answer is obvious to us.

Mr. Molson, the next move is yours. The Queen has been moved into position and you're three moves away from checkmate.

Andy 02-03-2012 04:38 PM

I get everyone's mad, but we have like 1000 threads like this, there is no reason why it can't fit into the candidate thread, the fire Gauthier thread or the Molson is incompetent thread.

SeriousHabs 02-03-2012 04:38 PM

Molson's time frame when analyzing the needs: 5, 10 or 15 years.
Fans' time frame when analyzing the needs: hours, days or weeks.

habs03 02-03-2012 04:46 PM

Just like SeriousHabs said, Molson first real test is this summer, which is what does he do about PG, and take it from there. Its tough for an Owner to come in and just fire everyone, Bolvin, Gainey, Gauthier, specially for a young owner like Molson. He is putting his own people in place, he nicely pushed Bolvin out, and got hired Kevin Gilmore to be his right hand man, and now as President he can evaluate the GM position for the first time.

Too add, who says its about money, maybe he wants to interview Ast GM of other clubs, and you can't do that in the media of the season, and specially when you actually have a GM in place.

Two JM got a buy-out for being fired as coach, so if he is hired as GM, he would have to get another contract, so they have nothing to do with each other.

Also the only person I could think of taking over as GM would be Larry Carriere, who is an Ast GM now, I read somewhere that he wasn't Pierre Gauthier hire for Ast GM. And it would make sense, seeing how Gauthier has hired a lot of guys he has worked with before, but that isn't the case with Carriere.

The Kremelin Wall* 02-03-2012 04:49 PM

We already have the best head scout in the world.

Ginu 02-03-2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall (Post 43534257)
We already have the best head scout in the world.

Timmins can't do it all on his own. Molson needs a brain trust around him. 3-4 solid guys who can turn this franchise around.

Jack Bourdain 02-03-2012 05:01 PM

They should hire me, I read enough HFBoards to know how to do a GM's job.

yianik 02-03-2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeriousHabs (Post 43533713)
Molson's time frame when analyzing the needs: 5, 10 or 15 years.
Fans' time frame when analyzing the needs: hours, days or weeks.

I hope you are right about Molsons time frame. I have been following the Habs for a very long time and have suffered through almost 20 years. Despite that, I dont care about the play-offs this year and I dont want any short term band aids. I think most of us feel this way, enough of the 7th place underdog crap, I want to be the favourite with home ice advantage. I acually think this team has quite a bit of talent, just need to fix the PP to even league average and stabilize the D, and I think we have a decent team. I dont think we are far away , my concern is that Molson wants play-offs now and is okay on pulling the trigger on temporary measures, such as Kaberle. This frightens me. Hopefully we are so far behind now that Molson makes it clear thar PG is not to make any big moves now.

Myron Gaines* 02-03-2012 06:42 PM

All I know is that it took 3 years for the habs management to make our top 6 bigger and tougher. Something's off.

Teufelsdreck 02-03-2012 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yianik (Post 43534891)
I hope you are right about Molsons time frame. I have been following the Habs for a very long time and have suffered through almost 20 years. Despite that, I dont care about the play-offs this year and I dont want any short term band aids. I think most of us feel this way, enough of the 7th place underdog crap, I want to be the favourite with home ice advantage. I acually think this team has quite a bit of talent, just need to fix the PP to even league average and stabilize the D, and I think we have a decent team. I dont think we are far away , my concern is that Molson wants play-offs now and is okay on pulling the trigger on temporary measures, such as Kaberle. This frightens me. Hopefully we are so far behind now that Molson makes it clear thar PG is not to make any big moves now.

Surely PG realizes he can't make any big moves because the Habs don't have either roster players (besides Price) or prospects who would enable them to trade for elite players. I'm afraid they'll have to rearm via the draft, so you'll have to be patient for years to come. They won't make the playoffs in 2012 but there's a strong possibility that they won't make it in 2013 or 2014 either.

Shad 02-03-2012 11:25 PM

I think they should can PG and hire someone from HF boards since you all can do a better job, right? So sick of all the hate on him, I don't expect to see him fired because he's really not doing as bad a job as most think.

BigHab* 02-04-2012 12:10 AM

I have to agree that Gauthier has not done that bad of a job overall. Every GM misses the mark now and then, as Gauthier has done, however, he has also done some good things while there. Molson is not going to fire Gauthier before the season's over. Makes little sense. For his part, Gauthier is not going to trade away the Habs' picks and/or prospects. Won't happen folks! So I wish everyone would just give this all a rest and discuss some other important issue at hand.

ThaDevilGirl 02-04-2012 12:17 AM

I almost miss the Gilett days.

hockeyman* 02-04-2012 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ginu (Post 43533569)
People who are expecting Pierre Gauthier to be fired before the end of the season are forgetting one thing. The only reason that Jacques Martin was fired was that we were able to promote Randy Cunneyworth from within the organization. Rather than looking outside the organization, a concerted effort was made to promote from within, thereby saving on salary. The reason that Pierre Gauthier is still around, I suspect, is for the same reason. The only option Molson has from within the organization to replace Gauthier is Jacques Martin, and that's a non-starter. Molson will wait until the off-season to clean house so we can forget about it right now.

This to me is a major problem. As the owner of our franchise, you have to make the tough decisions, especially in times of crisis where the future direction of our organization will be set for the next 5 years at least. Leaving Gauthier in charge to move assets around simply because you don't want to spend some money and hire a replacement is not how to run a winning franchise, or work towards one.

Molson needs to step up here. He needs to splash the cash to assemble the best management team in the NHL here in Montreal. The only way to return to the glory years is to bring the best in the business to the city to rejuvenate this franchise. Bringing in Roy, Damphouse, Carbonneau, Lemaire, etc. is all a waste of time. Until we have the leadership at the top of the organization with the top minds in the business, no matter what coaches or players we get, it's pointless.

A message to Geoff Molson: bring in the best in the off-season and be ready to spend some money to do so, otherwise we'll be swimming with the sharks for the foreseeable future. Consider it upgrading your countertops to granite to increase the value of your property investment.

Enough is enough. We are NOT a training ground for new unexperienced coaches (this is not an insult to Cunneyworth; I actually like him). We are NOT a team where we bring in players at the end of their careers on long and expensive contracts. It's time for you, Mr. Molson, to leave your mark. It's time you do what's necessary to re-assemble this management group. You do that and you'll be on pace for the Stanley Cup. Until you do, you're wasting your investment, players' salaries and all of our time. We all need to work together, but it starts with you.

You're the owner of the ship. Are you going to hire inexperienced captains to steer the ship when it's about to go down, or do you get the best out there to save the day? The answer is obvious to us.

Mr. Molson, the next move is yours. The Queen has been moved into position and you're three moves away from checkmate.

Why don't you just twitter him?

coolasprICE 02-04-2012 12:34 AM

I wish there was a way to get our voices heard...

Hmmm, The PRESIDENT / OWNER of our team has a twitter account...

hey, i have an idea... anyone guess what I'm thinking ??

ECWHSWI 02-04-2012 12:43 AM

JM was fired and replaced by Connie to save money ?? really ??

guess one doesnt remember how much it cost to fire JM...

Ginu 02-04-2012 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECWHSWI (Post 43555053)
JM was fired and replaced by Connie to save money ?? really ??

guess one doesnt remember how much it cost to fire JM...

First JM is still being paid as a scout. So JM was not replaced by Cunneyworth to save money. Cunneyworth was promoted to head coach to save money instead of bringing in another guy. Try to understand the difference :laugh:

digmor crusher 02-04-2012 01:17 AM

Yes, yes, fire everyone to improve the team, in real world does not work that way. 1 team wins cup every year, 29 loosers. No magical solution to be a contender every year or else everyone would be doing it.

One of the reason the Wings are so successful is the stability from the owner on down.

Money can't buy a championship...see the Laffs.

We are truly handicapped by having to hire French speaking GM's or coaches, cuts the talent pool down by about 80%.

The only way to succeed now is draft right, get a few very high picks or draft successfully later on which is always where we seem to be picking.

So what I'm saying is that a new GM may help only if we hire the right person, give him time, and draft properly. Even then, who knows?

ECWHSWI 02-04-2012 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ginu (Post 43555195)
First JM is still being paid as a scout. So JM was not replaced by Cunneyworth to save money. Cunneyworth was promoted to head coach to save money instead of bringing in another guy. Try to understand the difference :laugh:


all this to save a few $ ? really ?


how about you keep JM as he's making the same salary anyway, keep Connie at an asst coach salary ?


seriously... all this to save $... lol

bsl 02-04-2012 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolasprICE (Post 43554701)
I wish there was a way to get our voices heard...

Hmmm, The PRESIDENT / OWNER of our team has a twitter account...

hey, i have an idea... anyone guess what I'm thinking ??

What is with you and your generation of facebook tossers? You can't be serious, You're seriously gonna twitter Molson and suggest stuff?

OMIGOD. Go start uni. Get a job. Do SOMETHING, please.

The Habs ARE NOT ABOUT YOU. They are a professional sports club that plays regardless of your opinion. You watchee they playee, get it?

What a ****ing Muppet generation you young guys are. You are a fan. You mean nothing. Stop sticking your faces into every event. GAG. Depersonalize. IT IS NOT ABOUT YOU.

ECWHSWI 02-04-2012 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsl (Post 43559399)
What is with you and your generation of facebook tossers? You can't be serious, You're seriously gonna twitter Molson and suggest stuff?

OMIGOD. Go start uni. Get a job. Do SOMETHING, please.

The Habs ARE NOT ABOUT YOU. They are a professional sports club that plays regardless of your opinion. You watchee they playee, get it?

What a ****ing Muppet generation you young guys are. You are a fan. You mean nothing. Stop sticking your faces into every event. GAG. Depersonalize. IT IS NOT ABOUT YOU.

haha! I feel ya bsl, take action = send a twitter message nowadays, or make a facebook page or something...

(You tell them Molson probably hired someone to "twitt" on his behalf ok ?)

IceDaddy 02-04-2012 07:17 AM

[QUOTE=ECWHSWI;43559459]haha! I feel ya bsl, take action = send a twitter message nowadays, or make a facebook page or something...

(You tell them Molson probably hired someone to "twitt" on his behalf ok ?)[/QUOTE]


Thats probably exactly what he did. Its some flunkie in the basement of the Bell Centre doing it for him...

Ginu 02-04-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sammy d (Post 43555943)
Yes, yes, fire everyone to improve the team, in real world does not work that way. 1 team wins cup every year, 29 loosers. No magical solution to be a contender every year or else everyone would be doing it.

One of the reason the Wings are so successful is the stability from the owner on down.

Money can't buy a championship...see the Laffs.

We are truly handicapped by having to hire French speaking GM's or coaches, cuts the talent pool down by about 80%.

The only way to succeed now is draft right, get a few very high picks or draft successfully later on which is always where we seem to be picking.

So what I'm saying is that a new GM may help only if we hire the right person, give him time, and draft properly. Even then, who knows?

That's what we've been doing the last 20 years.

We need to hire the best guys out there, end of story. Molson has to answer only two questions to himself:

1) Is winning important above all else? Language included.
2) Am I ready to spend the cash necessary bring in the best management in the NHL?

We're Montreal. We have the language issue, living up to our history and the Quebec taxes that are additional problems above winning in the NHL, which is hard enough. Only the best hockey people out there can deal with that pressure. Otherwise, if you keep bringing in B people to run the organization, you'll keep going in circles. That's what you're seeing now.

One of their missions will be to draft well, yes.

Darch 02-04-2012 10:37 AM

How about Mr. Molson knew this team was bad when he purchased it and believes Mr. Gauthier to be the man to clean house and bring back respectable hockey?

How about they understand that righting the ship will take years, and that their is no quick easy fixes in the NHL anymore. That it comes through drafting first, development, and culminates with adding the right free agents to complement the team. That every rebuild doesn't produce a Stanley cup either.

Maybe they understand that the average Habs fan thinks they own the Stanley cup, and that because they have won it 24 times in the past century, that it should be the same again. Times have changed, dynasties are over!

If anything has to change in Montreal, it's the culture. The second is the drafing process.

Ginu 02-04-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darch (Post 43562197)
How about Mr. Molson knew this team was bad when he purchased it and believes Mr. Gauthier to be the man to clean house and bring back respectable hockey?

How about they understand that righting the ship will take years, and that their is no quick easy fixes in the NHL anymore. That it comes through drafting first, development, and culminates with adding the right free agents to complement the team. That every rebuild doesn't produce a Stanley cup either.

Maybe they understand that the average Habs fan thinks they own the Stanley cup, and that because they have won it 24 times in the past century, that it should be the same again. Times have changed, dynasties are over!

If anything has to change in Montreal, it's the culture. The second is the drafing process.

We do need a change of culture, definitely. But for too long we've been a learning platform for inexperienced coaches and management. F that. I want to finally see the best guys come here.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:15 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.