HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   St. Louis Blues (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Your 2012-2013 St. Louis Blues (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1097899)

Chojin 02-04-2012 10:39 AM

Your 2012-2013 St. Louis Blues

I know it's premature, but I was wondering what people think the roster is going to look like next year.

I think the most likely scenario includes:

Resigned:
Arnott (do-over or cheaper, 2-3 year contract)
Perron (2.5m)
Stewart (3.25m)
Jackman (3.5m over 3-4 years)

Additions:
Tarasenko (ELC for about 900k and 2m in potential bonuses)
Cole (full-time 6-7th guy)

Subtractions
Langenbrunner (too expensive for a 4th liner)
Colaiacovo (do not want)

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
David Perron ($2.500m) / David Backes ($4.500m) / T.J. Oshie ($3.500m)
Andy McDonald ($4.700m) / Patrik Berglund ($2.250m) / Chris Stewart ($3.275m)
Alexander Steen ($3.362m) / Vladimir Sobotka ($1.300m) / Vladimir Tarasenko ($0.900m)
Ryan Reaves ($0.600m) / Jason Arnott ($2.875m) / Matt D'Agostini ($1.650m)
/ / B.J. Crombeen ($1.000m)

DEFENSEMEN
Kent Huskins ($1.000m) / Alex Pietrangelo ($3.166m)
Barret Jackman ($3.500m) / Kevin Shattenkirk ($1.300m)
Kris Russell ($1.300m) / Roman Polak ($2.750m)
Ian Cole ($1.300m)

GOALTENDERS
Jaroslav Halak ($3.750m) / Brian Elliott ($1.800m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $52,279,166; BONUSES: $5,200,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $12,020,834

I could also see Stewart being traded for someone like Joni Pitkanen, who can play on the top pairing with Pietrangelo. You could then move D'Agostini up and then add Porter, Cracknell, or Grachev to the mix.

execwrite 02-04-2012 12:27 PM

Never too early to speculate.

Don't see Arnott back. Doubt Stewart is traded (if only because his value has dropped).

Think Schwartz could be in St. Louis by December.

I'm also guessing Carlo keeps his price low and returns.

Mike Liut 02-04-2012 12:32 PM

Arnott (do-over or cheaper, 2-3 year contract)
Jackman (3.5m over 3-4 years)

hmmm, not really liking the length of those deals.

CarvinSigX 02-04-2012 12:40 PM

Perron will get 3+ easily.

Stillflexin* 02-04-2012 12:43 PM

Don't like Cole, makes too many blind pass and just mistakes in general, I know it should be expected for a young defensemen but he isn't that young anymore and has had a fair share of NHL games. He just isn't as good as he was made out to be.

If Schwartz doesn't come over next year I don't see Stewart getting more minutes being top6 over Tarasenko.

Even though Cola is injury prone he really isn't out THAT long. I like his game and would sign him for cheap, wouldn't want him going to the Hawks or something and biting us in the ass.

Chojin 02-04-2012 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stillflexin
Even though Cola is injury prone he really isn't out THAT long. I like his game and would sign him for cheap, wouldn't want him going to the Hawks or something and biting us in the ass.

I like Cola in the bottom 4 at around $2m, but let's be honest: someone out there is going to pay good money (i.e. $3m+) for a 30+ point PMD who isn't atrocious in his own end. There's just no way he resigns here for a discount.

I think Cole has earned the 6-7 spot at least. He's not going to develop without some consistent NHL time, though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Liut
hmmm, not really liking the length of those deals.

I like Arnott taking Tkachuk's role towards the end of his career: big, veteran 3-4 line center who gets good PP time. I'd love to have him for 2 years at $2m per.

Quote:

Originally Posted by execwrite
Think Schwartz could be in St. Louis by December.

Probably a good bet if McDonald has his customary 20-30 game injury by then, but I think that McRae/Grachev would have a better shot at getting a call-up. Schwartz could use at least a year in the AHL anyway.

Robb_K 02-04-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stillflexin (Post 43569333)
Don't like Cole, makes too many blind pass and just mistakes in general, I know it should be expected for a young defensemen but he isn't that young anymore and has had a fair share of NHL games. He just isn't as good as he was made out to be.

I wouldn't give up on Cole so quickly. He's still pretty young. Defencemen often don't have everything click until they are 27 or 28. He is very mobile for his size, and has some offensive sense. He will get stronger and somewhat heavier (probably with no loss of mobility or speed). He might (should) also develop a more physical game). I think he's worth keeping for 2 more years, to see how he develops.

Bluesnatic27 02-04-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Yes, someone finally understands me!

EOM 02-04-2012 01:52 PM

Defensemen take a lot longer to develop than forwards and I see a lot of good things in Cole's game. He needs a little more time to iron out some things but I think he could be a solid top 4 defensive guy in the future. Maybe a little offensive upside (20-30 points).

Robb_K 02-04-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EOM (Post 43575247)
Defensemen take a lot longer to develop than forwards and I see a lot of good things in Cole's game. He needs a little more time to iron out some things but I think he could be a solid top 4 defensive guy in the future. Maybe a little offensive upside (20-30 points).

This is a pretty level-headed assessment. I see him as a reliable #3, stronger and heavier, scoring between 20-30 points and playing more physically than he does now.

Mike Liut 02-04-2012 02:09 PM

I hope Cole develops, but he's in a tough spot. Who do you pair him with ?

Cole / Petro ?
Cole / Shatty ?
Cole / Polak ?

Multimoodia 02-04-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

So essentially your issue is that he is developing at a more natural pace for defensemen? Pronger did the same sort of stupid maneuvers, Chara did (when he could actually handle a puck), etc.
You cannot use Pie, Shat and, to an extent, Johnson as comparables because they are far more the exception than the rule. Cole has progressed about as I thought he would and still looks as though he has a future as a top 4 defenseman...just not as fast as would be optimal for the Blues. Next year or the following, if he gets decent NHL time, the Blues should see him turn the corner.

Remember, from this draft class the only players I can truly say are that much ahead of Cole is Alzner and Shattenkirk. An argument could be made for Subban, but if you think Cole has a tendency to make ill-advised passes and defensive lapses Subban would drive you out of your mind (and I like Subban understand, but bonehead plays are relatively common with him...a few years to mature and he should be quite the player) with all due haste.

Quote:

Cola likely does not sign for cheap, some team takes a flyer on him that needs a decent offensive defenseman who is not a complete emabarrassment in their own zone.

Linus 02-04-2012 03:29 PM

The forward lines look a little crowded next year, but in a perfect world I'd love for the Blues to re-sign Nichol. Several Blues players have mentioned how big a part of the team he is and they credit him with being a great voice in the room and a motivator with how hard he plays. I like his game a lot, but there are only so many spots we have at forward.

I'd like the Blues to lock up Oshie for 4 years. 4 years/$15-16 million sounds good to me, but I'm not sure what his value is.

I can see the Blues re-signing Arnott, but not for more than 2 years. A one year deal would be ideal. I'd like a two year deal for Jackman as well.

I hope that Schwartz decides to go pro after this year as well, even if he ends up in Peoria. I think he could surprise and make the team out of camp, though.

BluesRiver 02-05-2012 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robb_K (Post 43575877)
This is a pretty level-headed assessment. I see him as a reliable #3, stronger and heavier, scoring between 20-30 points and playing more physically than he does now.

Right, I see Cole as the left-side counterpart to Polak; strong as a bull.

Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk and Polak on the right side seems like a great future for the Blues.

As we all know the left side is a question, but Cole and Fairchild could anchor the left side until Armstrong can bring in a top-pairing LHD.

I don't see a future for Colaiacovo on the Blues. If Huskins comes back and plays very well all the way through the playoffs, then I can see him getting re-signed for one more season.

Arnott, one year $2m.

Let go of Nichol and re-sign Porter for two more seasons at 800k per.

Not sure what the heck I was thinking when I wrote "re-sign Reaves". The boy is re-signed!! DOH!!

Too much imbibitude at 3am :cheers:. I bet you guys were thinking that I must be insane :eek: or a complete idiot.:loony:

PocketNines 02-05-2012 03:48 PM

^^Yeah Fairchild should anchor the left side.

Wait, what?

BluesRiver 02-05-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PocketNines (Post 43648681)
^^Yeah Fairchild should anchor the left side.

Wait, what?

Well...maybe anchor is a bit strong, but he COULD be the right side counterpart to Shattenkirk. Cole is the left side counterpart to Polak. All the Blues need is a left side counterpart to Pietrangelo and they're set. So, for the time being, someone has to "anchor" the left side. When a stud LHD is brought in that player becomes the anchor. For now the future left side anchor is by default. I don't see what the malfunction is.

PocketNines 02-05-2012 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BluesRiver (Post 43652157)
Well...maybe anchor is a bit strong, but he COULD be the right side counterpart to Shattenkirk. Cole is the left side counterpart to Polak. All the Blues need is a left side counterpart to Pietrangelo and they're set. So, for the time being, someone has to "anchor" the left side. When a stud LHD is brought in that player becomes the anchor. For now the future left side anchor is by default. I don't see what the malfunction is.

Hey, he doesn't have more than a few sheltered minutes of experience in three games, let's ink him as a top-4 defenseman right now!

bleedblue1223 02-06-2012 12:08 AM

Fairchild isn't going to be anchoring the left side anytime soon. He isn't NHL ready, as he has only played in emergencies and in sheltered situations. He is a promising prospect, but that is all he is right now. Cole has shown he can play significant minutes. I'm not saying Cole is ready for 1st pairing minutes, but is more ready than Fairchild. Fairchild averaged 9:39 in ice time in his 5 game taste of the NHL, so why is everyone putting him above Cole?

BluesRiver 02-06-2012 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 (Post 43670593)
Fairchild isn't going to be anchoring the left side anytime soon. He isn't NHL ready, as he has only played in emergencies and in sheltered situations. He is a promising prospect, but that is all he is right now. Cole has shown he can play significant minutes. I'm not saying Cole is ready for 1st pairing minutes, but is more ready than Fairchild. Fairchild averaged 9:39 in ice time in his 5 game taste of the NHL, so why is everyone putting him above Cole?

No, Fairchild is not going to be anchoring any left side anytime soon. There's only one member on this board who sarcastically put Fairchild above Cole and it wasn't me.

What I wrote was that Cole and Fairchild could anchor the left side until some help arrives. Certainly Fairchild is not ready. I believe I wrote that post really late one night after a really fun party, the same night I wrote that the Blues should re-sign Reaves when he's already re-signed. Obviously too much partying affects the brain when posting late at night cuz I posted all kinds of stuff that made no sense.

And then one member here decided to slew foot me down to the ice and then step on my throat with his skate.:p:

bleedblue1223 02-06-2012 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BluesRiver (Post 43670865)
No, Fairchild is not going to be anchoring any left side anytime soon. There's only one member on this board who sarcastically put Fairchild above Cole and it wasn't me.

What I wrote was that Cole and Fairchild could anchor the left side until some help arrives. Certainly Fairchild is not ready. I believe I wrote that post really late one night after a really fun party, the same night I wrote that the Blues should re-sign Reaves when he's already re-signed. Obviously too much partying affects the brain when posting late at night cuz I posted all kinds of stuff that made no sense.

And then one member here decided to slew foot me down to the ice and then step on my throat with his skate.:p:

Gotcha. I just seem to that that quite a few, not necessarily you, but a good amount are overvaluing Fairchild a bit, just like Cundari was last season and over the summer. Hell remember when Steve Wagner looked promising in his first season. I'm just not ready to say that Fairchild could potentially anchor the right side until he shows me he can do more on the NHL level, but that's just my opinion. I don't think Fairchild should be in the NHL plans next season, at least not in the top 6, however he can fill Cole's role next season.

PocketNines 02-06-2012 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BluesRiver (Post 43669617)
Yeah! Why don't we?!!

Spare us the fake exasperation PocketPool. It's starting to come across as childish and trite. Who the hell made you expert?

To wit: "but Cole and Fairchild could anchor the left side until Armstrong can bring in a top-pairing LHD."

And then, even though you're now pretending it was me who "put Fairchild above Cole," you came back 15 hours after the original [mod: del] post and paired Cole down with Polak and Fairchild up with Shattenkirk. You're aware Shattenkirk's pair is out there a ton, right? Plenty more minutes than Polak? MOD

Deko 02-06-2012 08:10 AM

Do you think Blues will have any chance getting Suter if he becomes free agent in July? Just dreaming about Suter and Pietrangelo in the same pair... that would be amazing.

Multimoodia 02-06-2012 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deko (Post 43675361)
Do you think Blues will have any chance getting Suter if he becomes free agent in July? Just dreaming about Suter and Pietrangelo in the same pair... that would be amazing.

In the same way they have a chance of getting Parise.

Mike Liut 02-06-2012 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deko (Post 43675361)

not if you want to resign Oshie, Perron, Berglund, Stewart, Petro and Shatty. You would lose 2 of those 6 at some point.

BluesRiver 02-06-2012 10:29 AM

Oh....and I did not "pair" anyone with anyone. They were simply counterparts. NOT partners. All better now?