HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   All Time Draft (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   ATD Chat Room V (all non-ATD topics here) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1099247)

VanIslander 02-05-2012 06:04 PM

ATD Chat Room V (all non-ATD topics here)

All non-ATD forum related discussion to go on this thread.

BenchBrawl 02-05-2012 06:14 PM

I'm not watching the superbowl. More interested in looking at some potential 4th liners for my team.

Nalyd Psycho 02-05-2012 09:56 PM

I hate football. Had roast beef dinner with my parents.

BenchBrawl 02-05-2012 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho (Post 43665389)
I hate football. Had roast beef dinner with my parents.

I just don't understand how the sport in question became so popular.

The only none-fluid team sport I enjoy is Baseball.

Nalyd Psycho 02-05-2012 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenchBrawl (Post 43665943)
I just don't understand how the sport in question became so popular.

The only none-fluid team sport I enjoy is Baseball.

My only answer is because it's really well suited to gambling. I'm all about flow, other than Hockey, basketball and rugby are my faves.

TheDevilMadeMe 02-05-2012 10:24 PM

Lol @ people in the bar/restaurant chanting "**** Brady"

Leafs Forever 02-05-2012 10:25 PM

Baseball is way too slow and boring for me. I've been to a couple of games because my step-dad is so into it...and they went into multiple extra-innings of agony.

Football an basketball are better and more watchable to me, but hockey is the only thing I'll watch consistently.

TheDevilMadeMe 02-05-2012 10:26 PM

I've described hockey to people who don't watch (most Americans) as the perfect mix of violence and grace.

I think football appeals to man's inner warrior as a mix of violence and strategy.

I like big games but do agree that your typical football game is too slow for me.

TheDevilMadeMe 02-05-2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leafs Forever (Post 43666759)
Baseball is way too slow and boring for me. I've been to a couple of games because my step-dad is so into it...and they went into multiple extra-innings of agony.

Football an basketball are better and more watchable to me, but hockey is the only thing I'll watch consistently.

Same here.

TheDevilMadeMe 02-06-2012 12:45 AM

I've only been to East New York twice, both times during daylight, and yes, not exactly the best place to be a whiteboy. I live 4 subway stops from the Marcy Projects where JZ grew up - I'd much rather be there than East NY

Where I am is fine. The Mexicans would rather sell me things than steal my ****. I live right by a tortilla factory which has some of the best tacos in New York.

BenchBrawl 02-06-2012 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe (Post 43671479)
I've only been to East New York twice, both times during daylight, and yes, not exactly the best place to be a whiteboy. I live 4 subway stops from the Marcy Projects where JZ grew up - I'd much rather be there than East NY

Where I am is fine. The Mexicans would rather sell me things than steal my ****. I live right by a tortilla factory which has some of the best tacos in New York.

Yeah to be honest as a white guy when I was in East New York in the car I knew I wouldn't want to be there alone walking during the night and I didn't grew up in that great of a neibor myself (nothing compared to this hole though).You're just not welcomed there.

how old are you again TDMM? 28?

seventieslord 02-06-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe (Post 43666695)
Lol @ people in the bar/restaurant chanting "**** Brady"

says Gisele: "OK, will do."

seventieslord 02-06-2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leafs Forever (Post 43666759)

I could watch a baseball game if someone watched it for me first, and spliced out all the crap in between every pitch. I could watch it if it was like, "pitch, pitch, pitch, hit, catch, out. pitch , foul. pitch, pitch, pitch, pitch, walk. pitch, pitch, hit, throw to 1st, out."

BenchBrawl 02-06-2012 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seventieslord (Post 43677893)
I could watch a baseball game if someone watched it for me first, and spliced out all the crap in between every pitch. I could watch it if it was like, "pitch, pitch, pitch, hit, catch, out. pitch , foul. pitch, pitch, pitch, pitch, walk. pitch, pitch, hit, throw to 1st, out."

baseball is not a game you sit in front of the TV and concentrate on it.It's a great show to have on TV while you are doing other things in your house.

Leafs Forever 02-06-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenchBrawl (Post 43678339)
baseball is not a game you sit in front of the TV and concentrate on it.It's a great show to have on TV while you are doing other things in your house.

The issue is this can't be done if you are dragged to the ball-park. :(

BenchBrawl 02-06-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leafs Forever (Post 43678423)

I remember when the expos were there , I loved going there because it was cheap ( like 5$ ) , close to my home and you could hang around , smoke some , drink beer.Doesn't have to watch the entire game.Of course it was always almost empty at the end so it's not the same if you go to the yankees stadium.

seventieslord 02-06-2012 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leafs Forever (Post 43678423)

enter smartphones.

BenchBrawl 02-06-2012 10:24 AM

I'm personally only starting re-watching baseball more and more.It took me years to love baseball again after Jeffrey Loria screwed us and took the Montreal Expos away from us fans.

I was a big expos fan growing up , the team was real good back in the days.

Hawkman 02-06-2012 10:42 AM

I like the history of baseball and all the different positions make it a great fantasy sport, although a fantasy hockey team like ours but based on current NHL players is cool, because it has all the lines. Baseball like the NFL is unwatchable, but very relaxing to nap to. The NBA was good in the 90s with Jordan, but it's bad now and there's no defense until the playoffs. The NHL is only sport I can really enjoy.

BenchBrawl 02-06-2012 10:43 AM

I enjoy watching the golf and tennis majors.

I can watch a boxe match here and there but I have to know both boxers.

I hate the UFC with a passion.I don't get why it's so popular these days.

Hawkman 02-06-2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenchBrawl (Post 43679767)
I enjoy watching the golf and tennis majors. I can watch a boxe match here and there but I have to know both boxers. I hate the UFC with a passion.I don't get why it's so popular these days.

Agreed. UFC is not boxing, not martial arts, and not wrestling. It's just stupid and appeals to the basest instincts of people.

Hawkman 02-06-2012 10:58 AM

Reen is Bobby Orr in 79 with bad knees. If I knew his real name, I'd take him in the 25th round. ;)

Stoneberg 02-06-2012 11:24 AM

Seeing the Patriots lose in the Super Bowl is almost as satisfying as seeing my own team win. That won't be happening again any time soon so this is as good as it gets.

BenchBrawl 02-06-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by God Made Me (Post 43680437)
Reen is Bobby Orr in 79 with bad knees. If I knew his real name, I'd take him in the 25th round. ;)

i wish

seventieslord 02-06-2012 11:59 AM

I know it's a year old by now, but did anyone take the time to watch the Don Cherry story when they replayed it the last two Sundays? I gotta say it's really well done. The actor they used really had the Grapes voice down, right down to the "I'm about the cry" sound that Don sometimes makes.

I find that it really captured the frustration and heartbreak that came with being a minor leaguer trapped behind the players fortunate enough to be in the highly exclusive NHL (but I am sure in these sequences they really exaggerated Don's performance in the one NHL playoff game he got into, they made him look like the best player on the ice), particularly for someone who challenged authority right from the start. The frustration and heartbreak was also palpable in the three straight losses to the Canadiens. Nobody was beating that team 4 times in 7 games, it didn't matter who you were. And Cherry's Bruins came closer than anyone else would.

I thought they did an excellent job casting the hockey players. Guys like Esposito, Bucyk, Jonathan, Cashman, Cheevers, Shore, Sinden, Wensink, Battleship Kelly, and especially Imlach were just spot-on. Orr was a big miss, IMO.

As always, I really was impressed with the makeup jobs they did on the main characters, Don and Rose. Anytime you're watching a lifetime-spanning movie like this where the same actors play one character from teenhood to middle age, you've gotta be impressed with how believable they make it.

I don't like Cherry anymore. I think he's a senile old lunatic. But seeing those old coach's corner clips from back in the day sure reminded me of how much I used to like him and how I used to hang on his every word. And truth be told, I remember those days with fondness. Has he legitimately gotten crazier and more outdated? Or have I just matured as a person and hockey fan?