HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   NCAA, CIS, and other college (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   How about those Huskies? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1099427)

mtuhuskies 02-05-2012 10:01 PM

How about those Huskies?
 
This is my first year at Michigan Tech and I have obviously become a fan of their team. I was raised in the Detroit area so I know the Wings and the NHL very well, but not the Huskies and WCHA.

I was just wondering what others following the NCAA think or know about the Huskies and/or the WCHA.

Some things I know, or have noticed:
1. We are a lot better than we once were - Mel Pearson has turned the team around for sure with more wins this season than the last three combined
2. We step up against top-ranked teams. We are 3-2-2 against top 3 in the nation teams including wins against Denver, Minnesota, and Minnesota-Duluth.
3. Yet, we have a very average record including a loss to St. Lawrence.
4. We are terrible at defense and on the PP.
6. We score a lot of goals
5. Our high caliber competition is going to decline with the realignment.
6. Our goalie depth does not look too good

One thing I want clarified is the reputation we have as a dirty team. Is that how we are perceived? I can't tell, because I heard this over on FSN North, when they televised the UMinn vs. MTU game and Lucia and the MTU assistant coach were a bit fired up. The announcers were claiming we were and always have been dirty, but maybe they were just homers...

Oilers Chick 02-06-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtuhuskies (Post 43665647)
This is my first year at Michigan Tech and I have obviously become a fan of their team. I was raised in the Detroit area so I know the Wings and the NHL very well, but not the Huskies and WCHA.

I was just wondering what others following the NCAA think or know about the Huskies and/or the WCHA.

Some things I know, or have noticed:
1. We are a lot better than we once were - Mel Pearson has turned the team around for sure with more wins this season than the last three combined
2. We step up against top-ranked teams. We are 3-2-2 against top 3 in the nation teams including wins against Denver, Minnesota, and Minnesota-Duluth.
3. Yet, we have a very average record including a loss to St. Lawrence.
4. We are terrible at defense and on the PP.
6. We score a lot of goals
5. Our high caliber competition is going to decline with the realignment.
6. Our goalie depth does not look too good

One thing I want clarified is the reputation we have as a dirty team. Is that how we are perceived? I can't tell, because I heard this over on FSN North, when they televised the UMinn vs. MTU game and Lucia and the MTU assistant coach were a bit fired up. The announcers were claiming we were and always have been dirty, but maybe they were just homers...

For me personally, I've thoroughly enjoyed watching the Huskies this year. I give a lot of credit to Pearson and his staff for the job that they've done. And my vote for WCHA Coach of the Year would go to him if it were done right now. FYI, Pearson is also IMO one of the best recruiters in all of college hockey. If you don't believe me, look at all of the Michigan draft picks and (the recent) ones that have
gone on to the NHL. His recruiting and eye for talent will help MTU bring more quality players into fold in the coming years.

I disagree with the Huskies being a dirty team. I think a better term is "hard-working". Win, lose or draw, the Huskies will make their opponents work for any (standings) points. And that's been much more evident this season. They may not have all the top-end talent like North Dakota or Minnesota do, but they work just as hard as those teams with what they have.

Also, you haven't look at MTU's PP numbers nationally - they currently rank 10th at 21.9%. I'd say that's pretty darn good. They rank slight below the middle on defense and PK.

In regards to their goaltending, IMO consistency is a big problem. While Josh Robinson has a good save % (.911), his 2.80 GAA just isn't gonna cut it in the WCHA post-season.

mtuhuskies 02-06-2012 05:24 PM

Quote:

Also, you haven't look at MTU's PP numbers nationally - they currently rank 10th at 21.9%. I'd say that's pretty darn good. They rank slight below the middle on defense and PK.
Wow, that's actually really good. Thanks for pointing that out. It definitely feels as if we aren't that good on the PP - but that number certainly proves me wrong.

I really hope you're right about Pearson. Although, I'm not sure how you can give all the credit to Pearson's eye. In other words, the players probably want to go there for the chance to play for Red and be a part of a ranked team.

That isn't the case at MTU. I think a big drawback is our location and small school. Even if Pearson heavily recruits, will players want to live here? I mean, I love it here, but it's definitely different than Ann Arbor and the attention it will get in the new Big Ten conference.

And about Robinson, yes he is very inconsistent. But our D doesn't help him out too much. What concerns me however, is that he's graduating this year, and our 2nd and 3rd goalies are juniors.

Oilers Chick 02-07-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtuhuskies (Post 43696329)
Wow, that's actually really good. Thanks for pointing that out. It definitely feels as if we aren't that good on the PP - but that number certainly proves me wrong.

I really hope you're right about Pearson. Although, I'm not sure how you can give all the credit to Pearson's eye. In other words, the players probably want to go there for the chance to play for Red and be a part of a ranked team.

That isn't the case at MTU. I think a big drawback is our location and small school. Even if Pearson heavily recruits, will players want to live here? I mean, I love it here, but it's definitely different than Ann Arbor and the attention it will get in the new Big Ten conference.

And about Robinson, yes he is very inconsistent. But our D doesn't help him out too much. What concerns me however, is that he's graduating this year, and our 2nd and 3rd goalies are juniors.

Players want to play for great coaches, no matter where the school may reside. Some may be scared off by the idea of playing in Houghton, but not all of them. While Pearson may not be quite as recognizable as his former boss, he does have a great reputation as a top-notch recruiter. And that's going to serve MTU well. If Pearson can continue to build the Huskies program and make it successful, the good players will come.

mtuhuskies 02-08-2012 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oilers Chick (Post 43735425)
Players want to play for great coaches, no matter where the school may reside. Some may be scared off by the idea of playing in Houghton, but not all of them. While Pearson may not be quite as recognizable as his former boss, he does have a great reputation as a top-notch recruiter. And that's going to serve MTU well. If Pearson can continue to build the Huskies program and make it successful, the good players will come.

I hope that holds true. I sit behind Mel every home game and I love his composure. He's definitely ready to be a head coach and I think this year's record shows a lot of progress.

puckguy11 02-09-2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtuhuskies (Post 43665647)
This is my first year at Michigan Tech and I have obviously become a fan of their team. I was raised in the Detroit area so I know the Wings and the NHL very well, but not the Huskies and WCHA.

I was just wondering what others following the NCAA think or know about the Huskies and/or the WCHA.

Some things I know, or have noticed:
1. We are a lot better than we once were - Mel Pearson has turned the team around for sure with more wins this season than the last three combined
2. We step up against top-ranked teams. We are 3-2-2 against top 3 in the nation teams including wins against Denver, Minnesota, and Minnesota-Duluth.
3. Yet, we have a very average record including a loss to St. Lawrence.
4. We are terrible at defense and on the PP.
6. We score a lot of goals
5. Our high caliber competition is going to decline with the realignment.
6. Our goalie depth does not look too good

One thing I want clarified is the reputation we have as a dirty team. Is that how we are perceived? I can't tell, because I heard this over on FSN North, when they televised the UMinn vs. MTU game and Lucia and the MTU assistant coach were a bit fired up. The announcers were claiming we were and always have been dirty, but maybe they were just homers...

Welcome to the boards!

Rule #1: FS North are big Gopher homers.
There are no other rules.
I was in the building for both games of the MTU/MSU series last weekend here in Mankato, and I was very impressed with the Huskies. Especially during Saturday's game down 3-0 early, the way they fought back against a usually stable goalie in Phil Cook was not indicative of past Tech teams, who, when down early, would literally wither away. These guys will be a thorn in the side come playoff time, especially given they have a shot to host a playoff series for the first time in 20 years.

Like Oilers said, these guys don't have the talent that the CC's/Gophers/UMD's of the world have, but they'll give you a hard fought 60 minutes and make the points you do get out of them very well deserved.

The portion I will have to take issue with is the competitiveness of the "new" WCHA. You'll have (for now) nine teams in the conference come 2013. Of those nine, three are either ranked or receiving votes in this week's polls. I don't think that's too bad for a conference that's becoming a mid-major of sorts. And of course, it makes for a more even playing field: No longer do you have to compete against the big guys; you're instead going against institutions of comparable prestige.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:00 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.